Review The Movie You Viewed Part VIII: Lance's Mom Takes Manhattan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Brilliant movie. Sam Rockwell is moving up on my favorite actors list.

Afleck and Pitt steal the show in that one. But the supporting performances are all stellar across the board, firstmost Sam Rockwell, along with Paul Schneider, Jeremy Renner, Garret Dillahunt, and even Sam Shepart, Mary-Louise Parker and Teh Zooey in their small roles.

Despite the few things about the film that I dislike, I cannot wait to re-watch it on Blu-Ray.

The early train robbery scene alone is :drool:

I really really like Paul Schneider.

The September Issue

Interesting behind-the-scenes look at the making of Vogue magazine's big issue, and the two contrasting personalities of Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington, the creative director and real star of the documentary (and someone I want to be when I'm in my 60s :)). I'm not -that- into fashion or anything, but I really enjoyed watching the creative process behind all those gorgeous images :drool:

The final scene is a tad overwhelming for me, emotionally.

Yeah. There's really no way to discuss this film beyond slack-jawed incoherence and awe. And that's quite an understatement. The final "chapter" leaves me a complete and total wreck of a human being, and that's even when I watch it out of context. Within the full 3-hour experience, it's just... fuck.

I still haven't watched the extended cut yet. It's been sitting, wrapped, on my shelf since it came out.

I'm planning on showing it at my weekly movie night around Thanksgiving--take that, Whitey!

But yeah, I remember sitting in the theatre, and my heart was just pounding during that final stretch. It's just an exhilarating feast of image and sound that reaches a height few films even come close to.

If you send me another letterbomb, I'm not going to be thrilled.

Last movie I saw and last good film Robert Rodriguez made "Planet Terror" So over the top but fantastic. Any recommendations for me?

Loved "The New World" "Thin Red Line" "Ran" "Kagemusha" "Sword of Doom"

I watched bits and pieces of Troy on TV yesterday. Brad Pitt was runnin around killing people in a most homo-erotic fashion. Diane Kruger was lookin pretty. It was cool.

City of God - Really good, I don't want to get lost in Brazil.
Unforgiven - I've seen it a few times, first time seeing it on Blu-Ray. Still good.

Watchmen

My guy and I knew nothing of the graphic novel, and all I knew about it was what I'd heard being discussed on the net. We had to pause it a lot and try and talk things through.

The timeline was throwing us off at first, as was the fact that The Comedian didn't seem to age even though it was the same guy in 1940 and then in the Vietnam bits.

It was pretty good, although slightly ridiculous and three hours long. The chick playing Laurie wasn't very good. I was hoping I'd enjoy it more, but oh well.

Watchmen

My guy and I knew nothing of the graphic novel, and all I knew about it was what I'd heard being discussed on the net. We had to pause it a lot and try and talk things through.

The timeline was throwing us off at first, as was the fact that The Comedian didn't seem to age even though it was the same guy in 1940 and then in the Vietnam bits.

It was pretty good, although slightly ridiculous and three hours long. The chick playing Laurie wasn't very good. I was hoping I'd enjoy it more, but oh well.

that is a fair review

a motion picture has to be able to stand on its own.

I did read the graphic novel, so I like it a bit more.

Than I sat though it a second time after doing so more reading and enjoyed it even more.

But a film should be able to make it on its own, like the last Star Trek did.

Her line readings are terrible. I mean, the broad strokes of the character are there, and she's not much different than what I pictured her being based upon the graphic novel, but her relationships with Manhattan and Nite Owl lack a certain chemistry. It's not that she's the most compelling character in the text anyway, still wish it wasn't as weak of a link as it was here though.

I think she made the most of an already underwhelming character. She definitely the least effective presence in the film, so I'm with you there, but I can't call her terrible in a film where none of the line readings are really any good (aside from some moments from Rorshach and Ozzy). If we're looking for the real offense to the art of acting in this film we should be giving Carla Gugino way more flack than she's received. Given she's a minor character, but holy shit is she fucking awful in every frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom