Review The Movie You Viewed Part VIII: Lance's Mom Takes Manhattan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit their were moments in Planet Terror I really enjoyed, mostly from the beginning of the film or from Michael Biehn... but otherwise... ehhh.

Basterds

not near as good as the everyone is saying

QT has 3 very good films, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Res Dogs

and then he has the lesser quality work, this fits in that category.

It has strong points, the opening scene at the French farm house with Waltz,
the tavern scene, again shows Tarantino still is capable of good work. Chis Waltz is the best thing about the movie.

What is David Bowie's music doing in Nazi occupied France.
The music in PF and JB really worked well and gave a sense of place and time.

I'll admit that the Bowie track was out of place among all the other musical cues throughout the film, and I could say the same about the Jackson-narrated digression regarding Hugo Stiglitz in Chapter 2. However, I really loved both of those short scenes on their own terms, and by the time they had passed in the film I wasn't the least bit bothered by their presence. So yeah, a bit strange both of them, but I didn't find them particularly jarring within this hermetically sealed cinema fantasia Quentin has crafted in the film space. And if I'm honest, that scene where Shosanna is putting on her "war paint" so to speak is one of my favorites in the film... and it has a lot to do with the music.

Yeah, it is well done, and in a vacuum I think it's great. But I still don't know if it "fits".

Of course, I don't have issue with the rock music used during the first battle scene in Gangs of New York, so I'm not totally against the idea.

Yeah, I read you. And I'm still waiting to see the movie a second time. Some day soon, probably with a couple friends here who missed it last week. Part of what I'll be looking for is how those two sequences I mentioned fit into the big picture.

In other news, I watched Hitchcock's Marnie last night. I guess you could say I was a bit disappointed given the film's critical revival of late. It's a fascinating bizarre and very twisted film, and there is a lot of loved about it, but there's quite a bit about which I'm not sure how I feel... everything from the two lead performances to the scripting of the whole thing. It's either really brilliant or a huge mess. I have no idea.

Hint: It's brilliant.

Food for thought, from Dave Kehr's capsule in the Chicago Reader:

"The examination of sexual power plays surpasses Fassbinder's films, which Marnie thematically resembles, going beyond a simple dichotomy of strength and weakness into a dense, shifting field of masochism, class antagonism, religious transgression, and the collective unconscious. The mise-en-scene tends toward a painterly abstraction, as Hitchcock employs powerful masses, blank colors, and studiously unreal, spatially distorted settings. Theme and technique meet on the highest level of film art. "

Yes, there are issues with the two lead actors, and the psychology, as with any older film, is sometimes hard to swallow. But this is really is one of Hitch's best-directed and deepest films, and it's a perfect companion/contrast piece to Vertigo.

I think that it is in fact most interesting as a companion to Vertigo, especially regarding the Connery character's strange sexual obsession and "predatory animal" instincts.

I didn't like the use of the Bowie track either.

Finally got around to seeing Gone Baby Gone last night. I liked it quite a bit, the moral issues brought up were much more thought provoking than I was expecting. Picture-wise, it looked phenomenal on Blu-Ray.

I watched Mimic last weekend on Netflix. I'd wanted to see it for a while, as I'm a big Guillermo del Toro fan. Probably my least favorite of his films that I've seen, but for what you expect is going to be a super cheesy sci-fi/horror flick, del Toro still threw in some cool stuff.

I need to re-visit Marnie. I caught about 20 minutes of it on TCM once and was immediately put off by Tippi Hedren, who's fucking awful, and a non-Scottish Connery, which was way too weird to deal with at the time.

As for "Cat People," I can see what QT was going for there, but that was just too far out in left field for me to take seriously or take in context.

What is David Bowie's music doing in Nazi occupied France.
The music in PF and JB really worked well and gave a sense of place and time.

I did find that to be kind of jarring (and for some reason it was almost absurdly loud in my theatre). When I talked about that scene with a few of the people I'd gone to see the movie with, only one recognized that it was Bowie. The rest are your typical top-40 crowd and since they had no idea that it was Bowie, they also seemed to not mind at all. I wonder if it's a case of ignorance is bliss.

I did enjoy the movie more than I expected to, however. Loved the opening farm scene.

Licence To Kill was just on USA and it's better than I remembered it being. Drugs, sharks, a James Bond that actually smokes cigarettes, a young Benicio Del Toro as a crazy South American knife-wielding killer, two very beautiful and resourceful Bond girls (especially Carey Lowell as Pam Bouvier), Q working in the field, a worthy and frightening villain, and it probably has the most straight up cold-blooded violence in any Bond movie...including a guy's head exploding in a decompression chamber. Not anywhere near the best in the series, but there's a lot to like about it.

Also it's good because its commercial failure led them to reboot the franchise with Goldeneye which led to the creation of one of the best video games ever.

a young Benicio Del Toro as a crazy South American knife-wielding killer

Not anywhere near the best in the series

Also it's good because its commercial failure led them to reboot the franchise with Goldeneye which led to the creation of one of the best video games ever.

This.

Licence To Kill was just on USA and it's better than I remembered it being. Drugs, sharks, a James Bond that actually smokes cigarettes, a young Benicio Del Toro as a crazy South American knife-wielding killer, two very beautiful and resourceful Bond girls (especially Carey Lowell as Pam Bouvier), Q working in the field, a worthy and frightening villain, and it probably has the most straight up cold-blooded violence in any Bond movie...including a guy's head exploding in a decompression chamber. Not anywhere near the best in the series, but there's a lot to like about it.

"SANCHEZ!"

clf

Darkon - I've been wanting to watch this documentary since they first posted the trailers online, but I'd never gotten around to it. I expected this to be the type of thing where you just sit there and laugh at the people the entire time, and there certainly were a number of those moments, but I surprisingly sympathized with them far more than I ever would have imagined. While there were a number of wackos that were easy to laugh at, a lot of them just seemed really lonely and depressed, which ended up just making you glad they had others like them to hang out with. I liked this quite a bit, and for reasons I never would have expected.

Role Models - This was extremely ironic to watch so close after seeing Darkon. I had no clue how much of it revolved around the exact same subject, so it sorta made for a weird Medieval role playing filled weekend. I realize this may be normal for people like Elfa, but it's not for me. Regardless, this was funnier than I was expecting .

Darkon - I've been wanting to watch this documentary since they first posted the trailers online, but I'd never gotten around to it. I expected this to be the type of thing where you just sit there and laugh at the people the entire time, and there certainly were a number of those moments, but I surprisingly sympathized with them far more than I ever would have imagined. While there were a number of wackos that were easy to laugh at, a lot of them just seemed really lonely and depressed, which ended up just making you glad they had others like them to hang out with. I liked this quite a bit, and for reasons I never would have expected.

Role Models - This was extremely ironic to watch so close after seeing Darkon. I had no clue how much of it revolved around the exact same subject, so it sorta made for a weird Medieval role playing filled weekend. I realize this may be normal for people like Elfa, but it's not for me. Regardless, this was funnier than I was expecting .

Speaking of LARPing, there's a group of people who put on armor/chainmail and fight with swords in the middle of the green by my dorm. Make of it what you will.

Speaking of LARPing, there's a group of people who put on armor/chainmail and fight with swords in the middle of the green by my dorm. Make of it what you will.

I want to go to that school. I'd pull up a folding chair and watch*.

*Secretly hoping everyday they'd invite me to play. I would even bring mead and a helmet with horns to show I'm ready to go in, anytime. Then when they finally gave me the call, I'd pull out a battlestaff with a +9 Fire resistance and make the other side jealous they didn't pick me first, then I'd smite those bastards one by one. Fuckers. "Hey, fuckers. Fuck you," would be my battlecry. And I'd be called Yorick Summoner of the Darthlands.

I want to go to that school. I'd pull up a folding chair and watch*.

*Secretly hoping everyday they'd invite me to play. I would even bring mead and a helmet with horns to show I'm ready to go in, anytime. Then when they finally gave me the call, I'd pull out a battlestaff with a +9 Fire resistance and make the other side jealous they didn't pick me first, then I'd smote those bastards one by one. Fuckers. "Hey, fuckers. Fuck you," would be my battlecry. And I'd be called Yorick Summoner of the Darthlands.

Smite them one by one.

You'd be known as "Ubercock of the St. John's illiterates".

halloween.jpg

So I picked this up at my college bookstore the other day, and just got around to watching it today. I've never seen the original Halloween (although I've seen other parts of the franchise), so I was pumped up for this one.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I remember enjoying another part of the franchise (Halloween 4, maybe?) a little bit more. Halloween 2 (the original) was really good, too. This one sets the story well, though, and overall has interesting characters (who you really don't want them to end up dying at the hands of Michael Myers.)

I've always thought that the actor who played the doctor (forget his name) was excellent in his role. He came across really convincing here, too. You can't help but feel bad for the policeman whose daughter was killed.

I'd give this a 4 out of 5. Pure classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom