Random Music Talk XLIII: 11 O'Clock Click Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well moving never had anything to do with Austin. Sort of an "it's not you, it's me" thing.

Well, at least you're trading up to NYC, which still gets pretty good music.

Just dropping a final "fuck you" before you head off.
This made me smile.
I have to listen to some Mos Def immediately, I've loved pretty much everything I've heard him on.

Black On Both Sides

(I went back and capitalized the preposition for Peef. I don't know if I was supposed to or not, but I wanted to be on the safe side.)

I haven't. There was all the hype surrounding it, and I couldn't find it, then I heard a song or two and didn't care much for them at all. I'd pretty much written them off until I heard "Carolina" two days ago. I'm really not big into this whole surf rock thing going on right now, and the first track on the EP was definitely surf rock infused. Is that their sound in general?

Well, my take on their genre tendencies has been debated, so perhaps I am not the best one to ask. What I like most about Album, though, is the grit and rough-hewn feel behind it. It sounds like they recorded it in a garage in between trips to the bar; it is a highly visceral album, almost like distorted 60s pop, as Mofo said a few days ago. Broken Dreams Club, though still replete with great song-craft, is much more polished.

Well, my take on their genre tendencies has been debated, so perhaps I am not the best one to ask. What I like most about Album, though, is the grit and rough-hewn feel behind it. It sounds like they recorded it in a garage in between trips to the bar; it is a highly visceral album, almost like distorted 60s pop, as Mofo said a few days ago. Broken Dreams Club, though still replete with great song-craft, is much more polished.

But how country-pop is it?

GAF:

hawk-harrelson-poster.gif

TO HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY. YES!

Not likely, but if you have any of that Bourbon/Crocker combo left over, it sounds pretty good.

Happy Birthday to JT also. Thank you for the CactusAnnie update.

To the Artist Formerly Known as InMyPlace: Sounds like a pretty good trade and an amazing few days of music. What is on the Wed. and Thur. schedule?

I saw that, and I couldn't figure out what he was referring to. It's right on the edge of my memory.

oh man a user named 11 Oclocktictoc is viewing this thread :wave:

I wonder if they are let down or entranced by our discussion

So, as far as Mastodon is concerned: I really like Crack the Skye quite a bit, but Blood Mountain is only ok. Are there other Mastodon records I should look into, and are they worth going to see on a school night?

Leviathan is still my fav. I liked Crack the Skye much more than Blood Mountain as well. New album comes out soon!

Did you ever watch that video they did for Adult Swim I posted a few times? Pretty funny.

This fall tour season is becoming one for the ages. Bon Iver kicked it off tonight, and upcoming are the Coldplay taping, ACL, Washed Out, Battles, St. Vincent, Real Estate, Funfunfunfest, Wilco, and the National. Holy smokes.

Just dropping a final "fuck you" before you head off.

If it's any consolation, I'm going to carry through on my promise to you to catch Big Boi's set Friday.

zoney! said:
GAF:To the Artist Formerly Known as InMyPlace: Sounds like a pretty good trade and an amazing few days of music. What is on the Wed. and Thur. schedule?

The festival runs Friday through Sunday, so tomorrow is resting up, Thursday night is the Coldplay taping, and Friday morning on is all out mayhem.

Just heard Graduation... pretty underwhelming. It's so commercial and he hardly raps... so without many guests there's too much Yeezy. Flashing Lights is the best song. Lil Wayne's appearance is atrocious, so I'm still yet to hear anything close to good come from him. Still baffled by the love.

What it did do was give me a much greater appreciation for Dark Twisted Fantasy. That blows it clean out of the water, Watch the Throne too.

I hope College Dropout and Late Rego are better.

Going back to Weezy (what came first by the way? Yeezy or Weezy?) for a minute (and to go all IWB on your asses), I looked up some info. It appears Tha Carter 3 was hugely successful, commercially and critically. So I checked out Lollipop on youtube, given it was such a big single. Awful! Beat is cringeworthy (and unfortunately led to many imitations since), Lil Wayne sounds fucking awful, all shrill and shit (is he intentionally joking with the "best rapper" thing?), the song goes nowhere, the chorus, while marginally better than the verses, is nothing to write home about, and he looks like what a good satirist would dress himself as to ape a shit mainstream rapper. I know I focus way too much on what I don't like, but maybe Lemel or someone can explain to me the appeal? Ryan Dumbass unconditionally loves him - he sounds depressed in the review for Carter 4 that he has to give it a 6 or whatever it got - have I just heard, by some amazing coincidence, like 15 really shit songs by him or featuring him?

Just heard Graduation... pretty underwhelming. It's so commercial and he hardly raps... so without many guests there's too much Yeezy. Flashing Lights is the best song. Lil Wayne's appearance is atrocious, so I'm still yet to hear anything close to good come from him. Still baffled by the love.

What it did do was give me a much greater appreciation for Dark Twisted Fantasy. That blows it clean out of the water, Watch the Throne too.

I hope College Dropout and Late Rego are better.

Friggin Whitey Whitey Hip Hop is just listening to these now??? For Shame, Cobbler

I knew it was popular around here, that's why I was disappointed. Just chalk it down to another friggin' cobbler :wink:

Really keen for some thoughts on Lil Wayne though.

I have no opinion either way on Graduation these days. At its best, it can't touch the heights of his early work, and Barry Bonds/Drunk And Hot Girls is the worst duo on any of his albums. The lyrics in general are also his most materialistic and inconsequential. But then the beats are really strong and it's also his tightest album thanks to the short runtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom