Random Music Talk CV: The Human Fund - Money for Leo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a very busy week, that Viet Cong album is the best thing streaming on NPR right now. If you like post-punk at all, you'll get something out of it.

I'm not wowed by the lineup, I've been invited to share a hotel room.

To expand on this:

I was invited by a lady friend of mine to go in on a hotel room with her. I'm conflicted for financial reasons. I can barely afford it as is and if any surprise costs come up it could make things difficult for me (my car is shitty). Compounding this is the fact that I don't really like the lineup and don't want my only festival for a couple of years to be this one where I'm not thrilled with the bands. But I want to go with her, and I want to get to a festival sooner rather than later.

Tickets go on sale on Saturday so I basically need to figure this out by tomorrow.

To expand on this:

I was invited by a lady friend of mine to go in on a hotel room with her. I'm conflicted for financial reasons. I can barely afford it as is and if any surprise costs come up it could make things difficult for me (my car is shitty). Compounding this is the fact that I don't really like the lineup and don't want my only festival for a couple of years to be this one where I'm not thrilled with the bands. But I want to go with her, and I want to get to a festival sooner rather than later.

Tickets go on sale on Saturday so I basically need to figure this out by tomorrow.

Hmm...well, even with a lineup that's a little underwhelming, festivals usually end up being really fun, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I understand you being worried about emergency costs, though. Have you worked out a budget to see if it's actually feasible, or if it's too much? If it's just not doable, hold out for a closer show some other time, and explain to her your reasons. I'd think it'd work out OK that way.
Man, nothing gets past you guys. :wink:

I just heard it this afternoon. I was going to post about it, but I had a bunch of insanity pop up this afternoon with my family, and forgot. Glad someone brought them up.

Plus, even with a weak lineup, the schedule could still work out well for you. Sometimes a great lineup could result in a bad schedule with the wrong conflicts.

To expand on this:

GET lT GlRRRRL

Appreciate your responses. I'm generally ignorant of festivals so this is helpful. I think her motivation to go is that she's a massive Mumford & Sons fan, which, yeah, not my cup of tea, but I won't hold that against the trip. I believe I am going to do it as I just found out a couple other friends of mine are also going so it's not just gonna be me on an island.

Man, I was hoping Beach House would be involved in this round of festivals, but alas, they've not yet released their album.

I fucking hate the festival experience and it's a huge money drain beyond the tickets themselves, but I go anyway because I love music too much not to dedicate a weekend of my summer to it.

But I wouldn't go if I didn't have someone to go with. Hell no. Glad you have a whole group, that will be fun.

Make sure to go to Mac DeMarco. His music is perfect summer fare and he plays hilarious covers.

Holy shit, Nelly was so fucking bad. I've seen a lot of gigs in my time and that was in the bottom two. Kesha is the only other artists to compete. I was never going until I got offered free tickets, and I thought it would be fun. Go with some mates who all loved Nelly in that period from about 2000-2004, hear all the songs I loved from the old days like Ride Wit Me, Dilemma, Hot in Herre, Country Grammar, Batter Up, EI and so on. Well, he played all those, and they all sounded like absolute dog shit. Nelly sounds fucking horrible, sure he's getting on but I've never heard anyone his age, rap or rock or whatever, sound that bad, and that bad in comparison to what he used to sound like. He was yelling during songs instead of doing that rap/r&b mashup that he sort of perfected. So that completely ruined songs like Dilemma. Sounded like he had dirt in his mouth when he talked, Ja Rule style, and he didn't seem to know a lot of his own words. Later in the show he brought four girls on stage, I think one was 20 (at least said she was), another 18, the other two were probably 15-16. And he danced with each of them in different songs, grinding with them, it was the creepiest shit.

But all in all I had a great time making fun of how bad it was with my mates and it's a nice little story. Lupe and B.O.B. also played. Lupe sounded great when he was actually playing songs, B.O.B. was just there, and then Nelly played one of the all-time worst shows.

Well, I'm off to LAX. Never been here. A little nervous.

Honestly, flying in general has me a little anxious right now, but I'm sure that's silliness.

:lol:

It'll be fine. Just media lately got me all antsy. If the plane doesn't get me, then perhaps disease will! :panic:

(this is what happens when I have three years between flights)

:lol:

It'll be fine. Just media lately got me all antsy. If the plane doesn't get me, then perhaps disease will! :panic:

(this is what happens when I have three years between flights)

As long as you're not flying from Sydney to LAX, you should be just fine.

Since I've never really given Led Zepplin a try, and I'm really not in the mood to spend a bunch of money on all of their ablums, I think I'm going to take the route of discovering them 1 album at a time (like a few of you suggested) and buy the first album today and just let it soak in for the next month or two and then move on to the next one.

I've been meaning to do this with a band's back catalogue for a while, basically treating their albums as brand new and not trying to cram all of their albums into my brain all at once. That's the one downside to apps like Google Play Music is that everything is so accessible......almost too accessible.

Back
Top Bottom