Random Music Talk CV: The Human Fund - Money for Leo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
quick personal sook... anyone else work in a job where you just lost all motivation? Like an actual job, not a stopgap/part time one like at a supermarket, I've worked those and deliberately been lazy because I didn't care. But I'm a sports journalist. A lot of things have happened in our office in the three and a bit years I've been there, we have undergone a lot of change and at present it is clear that management doesn't care about editorial. So I am really just coasting, doing the bare minimum to get by. And I feel bad about it, like I'm just a bad person for being lazy and complacent. I feel like if I went somewhere else I'd get that drive and passion and commitment back but I just don't have it where I work. My boss was a bit shitty with me today because it was our fourth day back at work and I haven't really done anything this week. I'd like to be better but I just don't care enough, and why put in the hard yards when management doesn't really care and your stuff isn't being read by a wide audience?

You get paid for your time, the only thing in this world that is really yours. Fine if you're bored or whatever (I'm not a very typical person, I focus on my personal time and personal interests), but guilt? Milk them for every penny.

(Disclosure: I am not qualified to give life advice to anybody)

This obviously is just how I feel about my own life, so take it as you will, of course:

The show we're currently working on is my absolute favorite program I have ever been a part of. I worked on more for this show than anything else I've done, besides a super low-budget horror movie I once worked on. I am really proud of the entire thing, and I'm so glad I got to be a part of it.

Well, I found out yesterday that there isn't enough room in the credit time to give the lower totem pole people a credit for this show (it happens). I was really bummed out about it, until I realized that it didn't matter. The work I do is still out there, and even if no one knows I did it and even if no one watches it, I'm still proud of what I did, and it's just more material to put me in a better position, career-wise down the road.

Maybe you don't like where you're at right now, but as long as recognition isn't the only thing you're looking for, and you still love the writing, and you still love the leg-work in covering the games, then just realize that you are still in the very early stages of your career, and this is just that time where you're putting in your dues. So maybe you're bored, and maybe you're lacking in recognition, but if you are happy with what you're doing and you still love it and you push, even when it seems like it's for nothing, then, ideally of course, it will eventually all be worth it.

Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Cerulean -Ocean Blue
Nice.

I did a tabulation of my music library tonight because the Flyers suck.

553 total albums
1960s: 29
1970s: 49
1980s: 34
1990s: 47
2000s: 185
2010s: 209

I don't know why the number of albums from the 70s surprised me. I think maybe it's more the contrast to the number from the 60s. I expected that one higher, I think.

Yeah I still like the work and that sort of stuff, just not the place I work for, so I'm unmotivated and I am not working hard at all. I haven't done a hard day's work in quite some time. But like I went for a job at a sports betting agency last year where I would have been an "online engagement producer", so essentially I would have been making memes. And I was really excited about it, cos the first interview went well. I didn't end up getting it but I feel like if I had it would have re-engaged me.

My tabulation would likely shake out to be roughly the same as Peefington's.

And the 60s were more of a single period, rather than album, no?

I think, in my head, that I always imagine that a lot of the big albums from the 70s actually came out in the 60s, is more what it is. Even looking at my RYM ratings, the contrast between how many albums I've heard between the two decades is pretty intense: 1960s - 69 1970s - 135

This one hasn't changed in ten years and probably never will.

Interesting you say that - the list I posted earlier had a brand new #1, an album I've never put #1 before. My ranking is pretty solid but changes incrementally. I promoted PRR's The Dark Third to #1 after listening to it so much lately and keep enjoying it more and more. I've claimed Anathema's Judgement as my favourite album for a long, long time and it feels kind of strange to change the order, but The Dark Third just keeps revealing more to me - though I can't help but wonder if this is subconsciously influenced by how much I utterly despise Anathema's last three albums and the truly shitty band they have become.

Other albums have bounced around a bit too. Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream used to be in my top two but has now slipped out of the top five, while The Cure's Faith has finally cracked the top five, having steadily climbed up my rankings each time I make a new ranking of favourite albums.

And speaking of changing the order of rankings, I must admit I'm starting to think Boy might be a better album than UF. Knocking UF off #1 would just feel wrong to me though. The era was clearly U2's best, but the album doesn't necessarily reflect that as strongly as it should.

And the 60s were more of a single period, rather than album, no?

Depends on which half of the '60s you're talking about. After 1964 or so things start getting good. Except for jazz, which is where a lot of my pre-1965 listening comes from.

My RYM ratings by decade:

1950s - 33 (0.71%)
1960s - 359 (7.76%)
1970s - 741 (16.0%)
1980s - 625 (13.5%)
1990s - 738 (15.9%)
2000s - 987 (21.3%)
2010s - 1140 (24.6%)

Last edited:
My RYM ratings by decade:

1950s - 33 (0.71%)
1960s - 359 (7.76%)
1970s - 741 (16.0%)
1980s - 625 (13.5%)
1990s - 738 (15.9%)
2000s - 987 (21.3%)
2010s - 1140 (24.6%)

1950s - 9 (0.27%) - avg rating 2.00
1960s - 42 (1.30%) - avg rating 2.92
1970s - 108 (3.35%) - avg rating 2.91
1980s - 274 (8.50%) - avg rating 3.39
1990s - 515 (15.9%) - avg rating 3.43
2000s - 1019 (31.6%) - avg rating 3.13
2010s - 1237 (38.4%) - avg rating 3.24

quick personal sook... anyone else work in a job where you just lost all motivation? Like an actual job, not a stopgap/part time one like at a supermarket, I've worked those and deliberately been lazy because I didn't care. But I'm a sports journalist. A lot of things have happened in our office in the three and a bit years I've been there, we have undergone a lot of change and at present it is clear that management doesn't care about editorial. So I am really just coasting, doing the bare minimum to get by. And I feel bad about it, like I'm just a bad person for being lazy and complacent. I feel like if I went somewhere else I'd get that drive and passion and commitment back but I just don't have it where I work. My boss was a bit shitty with me today because it was our fourth day back at work and I haven't really done anything this week. I'd like to be better but I just don't care enough, and why put in the hard yards when management doesn't really care and your stuff isn't being read by a wide audience?

Right now I am in a weird place where I find my work extremely unrewarding but simultaneously I am highly motivated, like I am trying to make it rewarding through endless side projects etc. This is obviously an unsustainable pattern.

My 60s scope is hilariosly limited:
The Beatles: 12
The Who: 4
The Jimi Hendrix Experience: 3
Led Zeppelin: 2
Bob Dylan: 1
Beach Boys: 1
The Moody Blues: 1
Pink Floyd: 1
The Velvet Underground: 1
The Kinks: 1
David Bowie: 1
The Rolling Stones: 1

And honestly it's not like any of the next three are much better.

That sucks. I have never really given Led Zepplin a good listening to for whatever reasons. So this morning I opened up my Google Play Music app and see that they're not there. Looks like I'll have to purchase their albums on Amazon.

What would you all suggest as a starting point or the absolute essential albums to have? Or would you just suggest I go with one of their greatest hits albums (god forbid)?

Yeah, they're actually really simple that way. I have their first six albums and that's pretty much everything I need. They're all quality.

The Van Halen album??

That's a surprising choice.
Van Halen has always been one of my favorites (unpopular on this forum of course) and thats my favorite album of theirs. Back in the olden days when I got my first car was music shopping and found a double cassette that had Women and Children First on side 1 and Fair Warning (my 2nd fav VH album)on side 2 for like 10 bucks. Younger me played the crap out of that cassette.

Yeah, my last job of two years. My frustration stemmed from working under a boss that was a unorganized workaholic that would send emails out at 3am and come in on the weekends and then have spotty attendance all week and not communicate with staff so no one had any idea when she was going to come in. That, coupled with passive aggressive behavior and style of management made my last year miserable. So I clocked out. There were only two things I made sure that were on time during the month: staff getting paid and the agency funder receiving their billing for the month. Other than that I did the bare minimum because I was fed up and burnt out. Then I started getting sick from stress and the fear of being fired basically lead me to putting in my notice because I didn't want my boss to have that on me. It wasn't just me either. In the span of 3 months I was one of six employees that left. It wasn't a big agency either where a turnover of six staff would barely make a dent on the personnel report to the board of directors. It was an agency of ten full time staff who lost more than half of their staff. I just wonder how the board is looking at this. Or if they care.

My take is that in your field what you write essentially becomes part of your resume (along the lines of what Ashley said), so half assing your work will only hurt you down the road. If you do some great stuff, maybe it gets noticed and helps you find a better work situation elsewhere.

Yeah, my advice was definitely limited to media fields, where you need to build a body of work.

I never ended up going into the media after majoring in journalism. I like my current job (I'm a project manager), but I'm woefully underpaid and probably cannot sustain more than the rest of this year without a raise and benefits (I'm still not on salary so I don't have any benefits and my taxes are higher). I've been pretty open with my boss about this, and his response was essentially "We need business to pick up before that can happen." Unfortunately, my ability to search for other jobs is pretty limited with only a bachelor's in journalism. Having this experience will help, but I'm not sure how much. I'm not good with computers and I don't have it in me to do sales or promotion, so my abilities are somewhat limited as far as corporate America is concerned.

If you're managing projects, then you should be able to collect some data into how well those projects succeed. Use that information to sell yourself in a later resume/Cover Letter by showing what you can do. The degree will stop mattering after a while, if you have proven success. From my little time working in HR, I know my boss was most impressed by resumes that said, "I accomplished X through my abilities with Y". Rather than "I'm skilled at A, B, and C."

Van Halen has always been one of my favorites (unpopular on this forum of course) and thats my favorite album of theirs. Back in the olden days when I got my first car was music shopping and found a double cassette that had Women and Children First on side 1 and Fair Warning (my 2nd fav VH album)on side 2 for like 10 bucks. Younger me played the crap out of that cassette.

I came very close to putting Could This Be Magic? on my DI list this year. It's definitely their most underrated album.

I'm probably partial to the debut, though.

I'm probably partial to the debut, though.

Debut for me also.

Gimli_With_Axe.jpg

The first half in particular is killer.

I have a theory that I really enjoy every song by that band with the word "Love" in the title. I don't believe I've heard a song yet that fits that criteria that's left me disappointed.

Yeah, at my old job I was mentally checked out for the last six months, and I was pretty checked out for the last three months of my Masters. I guess because I know what's coming (quitting/finishing and graduating) and so I think ahead to that, and then get stressed.

Back
Top Bottom