Moneymore, Wicklow, Ireland, Paul McGuinness' house...eh I mean Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The masochistic tendencies that appear whenever I enter EYKIW also manifest themselves in my music listening; I rarely skip a song on Atom Heart Mother.

:lol:

As much as I love AHM, I normally only play If, Summer '68, and Fat Old Sun.

I can't wait for Ali, U-Wen, and I to actually get together for a Phail band meeting and play the October album. I cannot actually remember the lyrics to I Fall Down, so I'm going to sing Summer '68 instead.

Heh, my mom is watching one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies on IFC. THIS is my favourite scene from the whole series. I don't know why I love it so much:

Kristen: *during dinner* What's wrong with me?
Her mom: Adolescent anxiety. It'll make it better.
Kristen: *picks up cloudy water glass, drops it and breaks it* Oh god. Oh god. What did you do?
Her mom: Oh Kristen :rollseyes:
Kristen: *grabs her mom's purse and dumps it out* Jesus, sleeping pills?!
Her mom: Look, Kristen, I'm sorry, I just-
Kristen: Sorry?! Sorry that you and your tennis pals torched this guy, and now he's after me?! In case you haven't been keeping score, it's his fucking banquet, and I'm the last course!
Her mom: Kristen! We went over this in therapy!
Kristen: No mother, you just murdered me. Take that to your godamn therapy. *runs up the stairs*
Her mom: Kristen!

Excuse me if I fall off the map here for a minute. I'm working on an alternate UF track listing. Or at least I'll start when this download gets moving. 226 kbps isn't bad, I'm just impatient.

Wow, I thought that during that long phone call I had, this place would've really kicked on.

Axver, here's my alternate UF. You've done so many of these that you can probably guess what it would sound like without even listening to it:

1. MLK
2. The Three Sunrises
3. A Sort Of Homecoming
4. Love Comes Tumbling
5. Bass Trap
6. Boomerang II
7. Wire
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. Promenade
10. Pride
11. Elvis Presley And America
12. Bad

4th Of July and Indian Summer Sky can languish as b-sides.

Axver, here's my alternate UF. You've done so many of these that you can probably guess what it would sound like without even listening to it:

1. MLK
2. The Three Sunrises
3. A Sort Of Homecoming
4. Love Comes Tumbling
5. Bass Trap
6. Boomerang II
7. Wire
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. Promenade
10. Pride
11. Elvis Presley And America
12. Bad

4th Of July and Indian Summer Sky can languish as b-sides.

Hmm. I like the opening four. Some other parts, though, I'm not so sure on. Pride's placement seems a bit awkward to me, for example. I'm also thinking EPAA might actually sound good before Wire, but I'd have to test that out first. Just the "bits and pieces on this floor" part seems like it would lead well into Wire.

I've honestly never been entirely satisfied with my alternate UFs, at least not in the way that I now exclusively listen to my alternate JT. I'm now brainstorming ideas for my own new one.

Hmm. I like the opening four. Some other parts, though, I'm not so sure on. Pride's placement seems a bit awkward to me, for example. I'm also thinking EPAA might actually sound good before Wire, but I'd have to test that out first. Just the "bits and pieces on this floor" part seems like it would lead well into Wire.

I've honestly never been entirely satisfied with my alternate UFs, at least not in the way that I now exclusively listen to my alternate JT. I'm now brainstorming ideas for my own new one.

Pride was a bitch. It wouldn't fit anywhere. It doesn't sound too bad there (it's a natural main-set closer, with the encore yet to come), but I'm sure there's a better spot. I just couldn't find it. Boomerang II is fantastic next to Wire.

The one I'm really sketchy about is Love Comes Tumbling. It's not especially wonderful where it is, but not terrible either. So yes, find a new spot for Pride and LCT and I think it's perfect.

Pride was a bitch. It wouldn't fit anywhere. It doesn't sound too bad there (it's a natural main-set closer, with the encore yet to come), but I'm sure there's a better spot. I just couldn't find it. Boomerang II is fantastic next to Wire.

The one I'm really sketchy about is Love Comes Tumbling. It's not especially wonderful where it is, but not terrible either. So yes, find a new spot for Pride and LCT and I think it's perfect.

Pride is what gets me stuck every time. You have to have it, but it sounds so bloody iffy in almost any spot. I'll have to try Boomerang II --> Wire to see what I think. But having not done that, and sticking with my EPAA --> Wire idea, I just used your tracklist as a basis and came up with this:

1. MLK
2. The Three Sunrises
3. A Sort Of Homecoming
4. Love Comes Tumbling
5. Pride
6. Boomerang II
7. Elvis Presley And America
8. Wire
9. The Unforgettable Fire
10. Promenade
11. Bass Trap
12. Bad

Now, personally, I'd ditch MLK and replace EPAA with ISS, but at the moment, that's about it.

Pride is what gets me stuck every time. You have to have it, but it sounds so bloody iffy in almost any spot. I'll have to try Boomerang II --> Wire to see what I think. But having not done that, and sticking with my EPAA --> Wire idea, I just used your tracklist as a basis and came up with this:

1. MLK
2. The Three Sunrises
3. A Sort Of Homecoming
4. Love Comes Tumbling
5. Pride
6. Boomerang II
7. Elvis Presley And America
8. Wire
9. The Unforgettable Fire
10. Promenade
11. Bass Trap
12. Bad

Now, personally, I'd ditch MLK and replace EPAA with ISS, but at the moment, that's about it.

Tracks 10-12 flow great, but my issue with it is that they drag the album down tempo-wise. Not only should the segues be good, but the transitions should keep the album going at a relatively consistent pace.

I think EPAA--->Wire would sound awesome without a huge space in between. Maybe a crossfade would work.

Tracks 10-12 flow great, but my issue with it is that they drag the album down tempo-wise. Not only should the segues be good, but the transitions should keep the album going at a relatively consistent pace.

I think EPAA--->Wire would sound awesome without a huge space in between. Maybe a crossfade would work.

And there you've identified why I sometimes choose to use TTS as a closer, to give it a bit of a kick at the end. For some reason, I always find myself gravitating to UF/Promenade/Bass Trap/Bad at the end. I'm wondering if I should instead try working backwards and wedge that sequence in the middle, as I think it's damn close to perfect.

Here's an idea out of the blue:

1. The Three Sunrises
2. Pride
3. Love Comes Tumbling
4. A Sort Of Homecoming
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. Bass Trap
8. Bad
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Wire

Ending on Wire would be seriously haunting. I also want Boomerang II in there but I'm not sure where it fits. Perhaps between LCT and ASOH.

Placing Wire last removes that absolutely wonderful segue into The Unforgettable Fire from the equation, and I do love Bad as the closer, but you're right, it would have that Love Is Blindness effect.

I like my list as a more traditional way of structuring an album, but I wouldn't say it flows perfectly by any stretch.

Placing Wire last removes that absolutely wonderful segue into The Unforgettable Fire from the equation, and I do love Bad as the closer, but you're right, it would have that Love Is Blindness effect.

I like my list as a more traditional way of structuring an album, but I wouldn't say it flows perfectly by any stretch.

I'm heading out soon, otherwise I'd throw all the UF era songs into a playlist and fiddle around with them. I'd like to try to get a really solid alternate UF, even if it means totally departing from the traditional structure. You're right about the quality of the Wire --> UF segue, and Bad as a closer. But I'm fairly unwilling to break my run from UF to Bad, so keeping the Wire --> UF segue intact and using Bad as a closer means having the more subdued ending.

I'm heading out soon, otherwise I'd throw all the UF era songs into a playlist and fiddle around with them. I'd like to try to get a really solid alternate UF, even if it means totally departing from the traditional structure. You're right about the quality of the Wire --> UF segue, and Bad as a closer. But I'm fairly unwilling to break my run from UF to Bad, so keeping the Wire --> UF segue intact and using Bad as a closer means having the more subdued ending.

I can't blame you for tossing out MLK, but if you take anything from my list, make it Boomerang II--->Wire--->UF. :drool: EPAA actually works well next to Bad from an objective standpoint, but I wouldn't recommend it to you because it's going to take you ages to get used to. I'm not even 100% sure about it yet.

BTW, I just read your review of UF on RYM. Good stuff. Funnily enough, I also saw a review on there that claimed (in a rather condescending manner) UF was "music for teens". :lol: Even better is that the guy gave a Van Halen album a 5 star review. :lmao:

OK, now here's something else a bit unusual. Keep in mind, this is off the top of my head, so parts may fall flat. It is nominally split into two sides, not that either would actually fit on vinyl, but it keeps Bad as a "closer" without having a low-tempo ending.

1. A Sort Of Homecoming
2. Love Comes Tumbling
3. Wire
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Promenade
6. Bass Trap
7. Bad

8. The Three Sunrises
9. Flicker And Fade (aka that untitled unreleased instrumental)
10. Indian Summer Sky
11. Boomerang II
12. Elvis Presley And America
13. MLK
14. Pride

Anyway, just about time for me to pop out for an hour or two. I'll give B II/Wire/UF a try when I get home, LM.

Have a good one, folks. :wave:

I don't have Flicker And Fade. MLK--->Pride seems very interesting. That's all I have to say for the moment.

:wave: See ya, Ax.

Ah, RYM. My Loveless review:

"With most shoegaze albums, the cover looks like the music sounds. Here is one of the key cases. Fuck, this is a good album. This is a really, really fantastic album. This album will give you LIFE. There is not a bad song on the album because you should treat every song as one. This album is kind of like world peace, but with the added bonus of being better.

Feel free to buy it!"

Axver would disagree, and I was certainly overrating it there, but it's still a good review.

Oh, this review of Michigan is quite nice.

"Sufjan Stevens would be more talented if he didn't sing like a girl and wear stupid hats that are there for no reason."

(4.5/5)

Loveless is sort of the best thing ever. I sent a link to Ashley the other day. She's too busy listening to Human Touch to listen to a masterpiece though.

I'm really getting bummed about my band not being able to come up with a name. :sad:

I'm really getting bummed about my band not being able to come up with a name. :sad:

Just follow the adjective/noun formula.

"Fucking Losers"

"Derivative Shit"

"Fucking Shit"

"Derivative Losers"

etc.

All of those names crossed Chris Martin's mind at some point, but he decided on something less descriptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom