Looneyville, Texas, United States Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo. History is rad. Everything's always been awful and will be awful forevermore, but there are these little shards of light throughout.

Like the INLA gent who was kidnapped by the British Army, thrown into a helicopter, blindfolded, interrogated for an hour, and then thrown out, only to promptly break his legs because he was prepared for a deadly fall and they were hovering two metres off the ground the entire time.

Ah, history! Where even the lighthearted bits are fucking horrible. :heart:

Incidentally, my crashcourse in British history before going to the UK was just watching Horrible Histories repeats, so, yeah. I wish I had it when I was a kid, but Age of Empires served as a pretty good introduction too.

Oh wow, so I can now totally do this 2.5km loop without pausing to walk at any stage. It may not sound like much but I'm really proud of myself. A couple of months ago I was a wheezing asthmatic unfit mess who could not do a shorter 2km block without stopping along the way or dying at the end.

Will make over-excited history contribution in a few. For now: to de-gross-ify myself.

Also, I was at just the right age where Age of Empires and Horrible Histories was my entry point into being interested in history, and it was only my complete ineptitude with foreign languages that stopped me from being a medievalist. Bulle-bolt dodged?

Oh wow, so I can now totally do this 2.5km loop without pausing to walk at any stage. It may not sound like much but I'm really proud of myself. A couple of months ago I was a wheezing asthmatic unfit mess who could not do a shorter 2km block without stopping along the way or dying at the end.

Will make over-excited history contribution in a few. For now: to de-gross-ify myself.

Dude, that's awesome! I am closer to the later, so that is seriously fantastic. Well done to you. :up:

I love a good overexcited history session! I'm also surprised you didn't throw a Black Adder reference straight off the cuff.

I didn't know you could spot a trainwreck from a month in advance! :heart:

Every future date can be a trainwreck if you try hard enough. :heart:

Great work Ax. I can't imagine you doing exercise at all :lol: so that's a bloody great effort, not a chance I could run 2.5km.

Yes, Bonnie, we are. And we can post about it on FB like true attention-seekers. "We said we'd do it, and we bloody well did!!!!"

I chose to do a 2 week intensive course after the second semester because I'm a loser.

Also, I was at just the right age where Age of Empires and Horrible Histories was my entry point into being interested in history, and it was only my complete ineptitude with foreign languages that stopped me from being a medievalist. Bulle-bolt dodged?

Oh, absolutely. I know a guy who majored in medieval studies, his thesis was a historically accurate novel about the Crusades that was longer than War and Peace. I can't even imagine how many comas I'd go in trying to read that shit.

My original intention in life was to do all the art stuff in my 20s, live like a bonafide Regent, then settle down after 30 and do a history course, but my plans have thankfully changed considerably since then.

This leads up to a thing. I've always been really mad for history, but it's only been this year that I've bothered to read much on British history beyond the sheer basics, because I know that for the past 500 years it's just been constant pure evil and I find it easier to just see it as some mass of empirical terror, colonialism and tricornes rather than bother to get to know any of the figures that well. So I've been reading up on my monarchy lately and most of it really isn't my scene, I mean when I'm on the Tudors and Plagaennenenenets I'm like gross, and 1066 more like 106sux and the Crusades are the most meaningless things to have ever happened and Victoria has a lameass corner of the universe named after her (Queensland) but HOO FUCKING BOY I love The Prince Regent. I mean, he was probably the most ridiculous guy ever. Complete asshole, and that's why he's so great. Normally you're reading about a great man of the time like Voltaire or Rousseau or Byron and then you find a little citation in the corner like, PS, this guy was a sexist and racist because of the times, you just gotta live with the fact that a dude could be such a fucking dickhead and also have a great idea, but the Prince Regent had absolutely NO good ideas and that's what makes him tremendously wonderful. I mean a lot of British royals have become infamous because of their debauchery and extravagance - Henry VIII, Charles II, Elizabeth II - but The Goddamn Regent just served them up in a gold encrusted pie and ate the shit out of those nerds, cause he could do that, and built stupid fantasy ass Orientalist disasterpiece palaces while at it. Also, he drank, like, several bottles of port every day before he even got out of bed. Can you even imagine???? And he was completely hepped up on opiates for like his entire reign as King of the biggest empire in the world. Oh gosh. I love history.

...and this is exactly why the Brits moved away from absolute monarchies.

Incidentally, I hadn't read history for leisure for years. Like, even when I tried, the academic side of my brain would switch on and I'd be checking footnotes and critiquing arguments and once I was even taking notes from a book I was reading for pleasure while on a plane. But there was this book I had to borrow for work, I was only meant to scan a chapter and return it to the library, but it looked interesting so I kept hold of it and decided to read it. And because it's about a historical period with absolutely no relevance to anything I do, I'm actually just enjoying it like old times, for pleasure. It's about eleventh century England, almost up to 1066 now. I knew basically nothing about this period apart from "the Norman Conquest happened", so it's been really engaging.

Massive dodge. I would've probably become a Romanian or Russian historian if I didn't suck at languages. If there are no jobs for Kiwi historians, I hate to think how bad the situation would be for a fucking Romanianist.

I love a good overexcited history session! I'm also surprised you didn't throw a Black Adder reference straight off the cuff.

It was all a cunning plan to make a reference right now.

Great work Ax. I can't imagine you doing exercise at all :lol: so that's a bloody great effort, not a chance I could run 2.5km.

I still can't imagine me doing exercise, let alone doing it regularly, let alone finding satisfaction in it. But it helps when you're doing it for yourself rather than to meet anybody else's expectations.

Yes, Bonnie, we are. And we can post about it on FB like true attention-seekers. "We said we'd do it, and we bloody well did!!!!"

I assumed this was basically the whole point of Facebook.

I chose to do a 2 week intensive course after the second semester because I'm a loser.

You can postpone that.

Also holy shit guys have you seen Turkey shot down a Russian fighter jet?

I'm sure it will blow over, but this sort of thing has started wars before.

I could talk about the entire chapter in my thesis that relates to political imprisonment and the subsequent dirty protests (read: shitting in their cells so they make the guards uncomfortable) and hunger strikes and how they relate to Foucault, if that'll fill some hole inside your soul. :reject:

Uncomfortable overshare: this year's sucked pretty hard, and next year might suck worse if the work thing doesn't work out. But y'all constantly make me at least smile, and sometimes laugh my ass off. So, yeah. Thanks.

I'm not even drunk and I'm being emotional, the fuck is with me?

Why do I have fucking Song for fucking Someone stuck in my head? This is certain proof there is no god.

Also holy shit guys have you seen Turkey shot down a Russian fighter jet?

I'm sure it will blow over, but this sort of thing has started wars before.

Erdogan doesn't seem to care that his collusion with ISIS is becoming more and more obvious.

I could talk about the entire chapter in my thesis that relates to political imprisonment and the subsequent dirty protests (read: shitting in their cells so they make the guards uncomfortable) and hunger strikes and how they relate to Foucault, if that'll fill some hole inside your soul. :reject:

Uncomfortable overshare: this year's sucked pretty hard, and next year might suck worse if the work thing doesn't work out. But y'all constantly make me at least smile, and sometimes laugh my ass off. So, yeah. Thanks.

I'm not even drunk and I'm being emotional, the fuck is with me?

Hey don't worry, I've written oddly sentimental sober stuff lately too. As far as I can tell with work stuff, sheer determination and bloodymindedness does actually tend to pay off. I'm banking on that anyway, so let's hope I'm right, or else I may be Super Fuckz0red next year too.

These are fighting words from Putin.

But the loss today is a stab in the back, carried out by the accomplices of terrorists. I can’t describe it in any other way.

Like, actual fighting words.

Unpopular opinion: Erdogan's/AKP's removal from power would have a greater positive impact for the region than the removal of ISIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom