Liz Phair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you go through all of her albums in chronological order, you'll see how they move from her being an 'indie-queen' to full-on pop.
So I suppose the new album shouldn't be too much of a shock. The part that pissed me off was her collaborating with someone who helped with Avril's album. Avril makes me want to yak. But I think 'Liz Phair' is great.

Being an "indie-queen" is overrated... good move on her part, I guess, LOL.

I have no problem with Matrix collaborations but dang a lot of the Matrix/ Phair stuff weren't really that good. It makes me wonder what they contributed and what she contributed to each of the "joint" songs. I mean her other self produced songs on that album were plenty poppy and had a lot of production work in them compared to Exile....

Maybe this new album was a couple of years too late for her...

I also don't understand how she wasn't ever "huge" in the past b/c she's got a gimmick, image, and sense of pop melody to get over on people.

HWC should be the next single, LOL... its like the catchiest song on the album....

LOL... I've read reviews bashing this song (H.W.C) and of course the lyrics are goofy, but dang it this is like the catchiest song on the album. I find myself tapping my fingers on the steering wheel while listening.... I think Bionic Eyes is pretty good as well... Great Pete Yorn collaboration (drums/ guitar)...

H.W.C.

Give it to me, don't give it away
Don't think about what the others say
My skins getting clear, my hairs so bright
All you do is fuck me every day and night

You're my secret beauty routine
Na, na, na, na, what my body has seen
I am lookin' good and I'm feeling nice
Baby you're the best magazine advice

Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum

I'm gonna pull you back down between the sheets
Everything is fresher when the day is sweet
In the morning light when you're already on the phone

Face it, one of these days
Without you I'm just another Dorian Gray
It's the fountain of youth
It's the meaning of life
So hot, so sweet, so wet my appetite

Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum

Face it, one of these days
Without you I'm just another Dorian Gray
It's the fountain of youth
It's the meaning of life
Baby you're the best magazine advice

Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Gimme your hot white cum
Your hot white cum

Of course I wouldn't like hearing any kids singing this...

Last edited:
Again, this is one I'll save from singing in public. But it is pretty catchy...

~LadyLemon~ said:
OK, one more comment on the new album. I dislike Little Digger. She means well, but it comes off as sentimental bunk. I always skip it. The rest is great.

I AM SHOCKED, DISMAYED AND DISSAPOINTED WITH THIS COMMENT!!! Litter Digger is the sole reason i got this album. Beautiful, delicate, truthful, and heartbreaking. If you find this song sentimental bunk, I will venture a guess that you have never been divorced with kids.

The first time I heard it was on the radio in the car. I had to pull over because it brought me to tears.

Like I said, she means well, but it comes off too sappy for me. I've heard good comments on it, and others like mine. No big deal. And no, I'm not divorced with kids, but I am a child of divorce. My parents split when I was 7, so I understand where she is coming from (or rather where she is coming from while singing from her child's POV). It's just not a personal favorite of mine, that's all.

I meant H.W.C was the Pete Yorn collaboration.

It's sort of funny, but I think the songs that Liz Phair produced on her own were like the best songs on the album. Michael Penn (the alt rock cred) and the Matrix were pretty generic or over-produced to me for some reason...

I was driving on the road for like over an hour and a half and listened to the new album the whole time. It's not bad, but it just sounds too overproduced or dare I say generic. The lyrics don't bowl me over but she sings pretty well on this album. There is no denying the catchiness of the material.

I think the single, "Why Can't I," is alright (something that sort of grew on me I guess) but the best part of the song was like her ernestly singing the chorus "Why can't I," during the middle of the song without all the added vocals and instruments. It made for a decent/ believable moment which got cheesed out by the entrance of the overproduced/ generic toned guitars that come 15 seconds later.

"Rock Me" was probably the worst song I've heard in a while. Since it was so "bad," it came out like a weird joke to me, something that couldn't be taken seriously. Especially when she sings "rock me" in a start and stop way. I would defintely not recommend this song though. LOL. Maybe she could have it sold for an X-Box ad. Commericals make good money. I also hope it's an homage to fellow Chicagoan Corgan b/c some of the guitar riffs remind me of certain SP song (1979?).

"Extraordinary" came off like a top 40 Disney/ Nickelodean song. Very generic sounding. But I guess, it could be encouraging for the teen girls out there.

The standout songs for me were It's Sweet, Little Digger (b/c I really liked the melody), Firewalker, Love/ Hate (although to be honest I like the energy of the song more than what she was saying as well as the apperance of a live jam), H.W.C., My Bionic Eyes, and Good Love Never Dies (b/c of the melody as well and it sort of made me feel good listening to it no matter how simplistic the lyrics are).

Again I have to say, that I have no hate for the Matrix but if she wanted to make an energetic pop song why couldn't she have gone to Glen Ballard or something cuz I don't think the collaboration worked that well. Even though "Why Can't I" is catchy, it still had a lot of "cheese."

I wonder if the album is selling well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom