I saw David Gilmour last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ulove2

The Fly
for anyone who is interested. I bought the album and thought it to be a bit too mellow. However, after hearing it performed in person, I must say it was great. That man puts on a great show. It was a small crowd at Massey Hall in Toronto and the sound was absolutely fabulous. Richard Wright performed with him, which was a bonus. If you have the chance to check him out you should definately go for it!!!

I'm going tomorrow night here in Chicago and can't WAIT! It sounds like an awesome show, hope they play PF's Coming Back to Life at the one I go to!!!!! Gilmour is AWESOME!!!!

You won't be disappointed! It was my first time seeing him and, in my opinion, he performed better than the meltdown dvd I have. Good times!

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
yes, people say that the tour is great.

(i still prefer roger though)

:love:

By the way, ulove2, I heard Dave and Rick performed Echoes in Toronto? Is this true? I haven't been keeping up with his setlists because...I don't really care. But it's cool if they played Echoes.

The second half of the show is Floyd stuff, I am not sure what you mean about how light the show is.

(s)he means is it anything like THIS?!

PinkFloyd7.jpg

This was the setlist from Toronto 2:

First Half: Castellorizon; On An Island; The Blue; Red Sky At Night; This Heaven; Then I Close My Eyes; Take a Breath; Smile; A Pocketful of Stones; Where We Start

Second Half: Shine On You Crazy Diamond; Wearing The Inside Out; Coming Back To Life; Dominoes; Breathe/Time/Breathe Reprise; High Hopes; Echoes

Encore: Wish You Were Here; Comfortably Numb

Amazing concert! Dick Parry does this incredible move during SOYCD, playing a bari sax, with a tenor slung over his back. Then, in about two beats, he lets go of the bari, does this flip with his body, and has the tenor in his hands and is playing it :drool: The entire show was phenomenal!

The *only* tiny little thing that was disappointing to me was that Polly Sampson didn't come out and sing backup vocals on Smile, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that big of a deal.

Eliv8 said:
How much Floyd stuff is he palying and how is the light show?

Thanks

The entire second half of all shows is completely Floyd - that ran from about 9:20 till 11 pm.

The light show, while not behemoth, and certainly not up to Floyd standards, was still really cool. Subdued on some songs, completely blinding to the extent that I thought the images would be burned into my retinas for weeks after during others. And you've gotta remember, he's playing small venues. Massey Hall in Toronto holds approx. 2,500, so the lighting was suitable for the size of the venue.

Last edited:
Boy do I feel like an ass. Sorry Eliv8, I don't how I could miss read something so obvious (better get my eyes checked). Anywho, what VintagePunk said. Now I must hide my head in shame.

I'd love to go&see him over here in Glasgow!!!! :hyper: :hyper:

One of the best guitarists EVER! :bow: :bow: :rockon:

And unlike Roger, David tends to be a bit boring on stage. :wink: At least from what I've seen on videos and such. Roger seems to attempt to engage the crowd a little more than Dave does (these days.) I'm sure seeing Dave live is a different thing entirely when you're actually there, though. I wanted to get tickets for Toronto but my exam schedule intervened. :sad: That setlist looks great.

Touche. :wink:

I don't know if I'll be able to articulate this adequately, but given the atmosphere in the venue, the audience is so engaged with the music that the performer really doesn't need to create a special love-in atmosphere to add to it. I described it as being very laid-back, and yet incredibly intense at the same time.

I think it's fairly clear the side I take in the entire David vs. Roger battle, but if Roger brings his tour over here, I'll be going to that, too. But ultimately, the guitar god will win me over every time. :wink:

Something of note that fans might be interested in - David played sax on Red Sky at Night. I was reading that he only learned to play recently, when one of his sons was taking lessons. The part in the song isn't all that complex, but it's moody and effective. :up:

Also - Richard Wright was absolutely smoking that night! Clearly into it, and enjoying himself. He did Roger's vocal part on CN.

Sorry you didn't get a chance to see it. :( It was incredible. I hope the success of this album and the tour will inspire him to continue.

Just "echoing" the other sentiments, the Chicago show I saw last Thursday was incredible, I'm still buzzing about it. It clocked in at 2 hrs, 45 min and I was on edge for most all of it.

The first set is the new album in its entirety and it is improved in a live setting virtually across the board (the lone uptempo number, Take A Breath, is a revelation live).

But the second set was just mind blowing. I enjoyed hearing Syd's Dominoes and then Gilmour launched into an enthusiastically received Coming Back to Life which was terrific. The highlight for me in the second set was the finishing punch of High Hopes into Echoes. The end of the former traded the blistering lap steel guitar solo for a quiet, acoustic guitar ending so pretty it nearly had me in tears, while the latter was a 24-minute tour-de-force that had me pinching myself.

At the climatic solo at the 18.40 mark (my fav 30 secs in the PF cannon), a host of lasers and lighting effects added to the moment. Seeing Gilmour & Wright and Co. in a small theatre playing Echoes with all their might was probably not too far off from what a Floyd show circa 1971-1973 would have been like.

Wish and Numb were performed admirably in the encore and most of the audience was somewhat shell-shocked exiting the theatre (a lot of swearing was going on, but in a good way!). In any event, the music was top notch and the evening was not something I'll soon forget anytime soon.

Wow. :ohmy:

David and Richard Take a Trip Down Memory Layne

The David Gilmour tour continues to surprise audiences with changes to the setlist. In addition to starting the show with Breathe followed by Time and Breathe (reprise), David and his band gave Oakland, California, a welcome return to yesteryear with a performance of Arnold Layne featuring Richard Wright on vocals. The song, written by Syd Barrett, was Pink Floyd's first UK hit, charting in March 1967 and peaking at Number 20. Pink Floyd themselves haven't played the song live since around 1969, so it couldn't have been more unexpected for the crowds at Oakland's Paramount Theatre last night.

UNREAL that Arnold Layne was played. I love that Gilmour keeps the Barrett legacy alive (Astronomy Domine in 1994, Terrapin in 2001/02, Dominoes in 2002 & 2006, and now Arnold Layne in 2006). Remember David also fought for inclusion of many of Syd's songs on the 'Echoes-Best of' compilation.

This tour has given us some terrific surprises (Arnold & Dominoes, Wot's...Uh The Deal, and a complete Echoes chief among them).

phanan said:

He was especially good at spitting back in the day.

:wink:

"GOOD BOY! GOOD BOY!"

That Montreal bootleg amuses me. Although, I'm sure it wasn't very amusing at the time. :wink:

anyone know if any bootlegs of this tour are available?? Arnold Layne, Echoes and What's uh...the Deal sound too good to be missed! :drool: :ohmy:

GibsonGirl said:
And unlike Roger, David tends to be a bit boring on stage. :wink:

Exactly.

I never saw Gilmour though. Roger put up such a fucking great band, with Andy FWLow and two more great guitarists.. yeah it would be great to see the Floyd playing, but without Rogers vocals they´re just..

and it´s not true what people say about his voice. His voice just has a different character. Gilmour has a full voice, but his stage appearance is that of a fat weasel. Roger still comes off cool and lean.

Personally I find you can´t beat his vocals, because they are sharp. Sometimes it´s more talking than singing, but hey, anyone heard Mark Knopfler for that matter?

Plus, when needed (at the start of the gig, when they opened with "In the Flesh" Part 2), Roger still shouts it out.

I´m not in one of their camps or anything.. I just like Waters, his post-Floyd work can be very inspiring. It´s a pity I never heard his last suite.

Back
Top Bottom