Grizzly, Oregon, United States, Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He definitely had, easily his best drumming in 10 years

Songs like that and even just parts like the WOWY live solo, even the end of the studio version of WOWY, that incredibly simple perfect guitar, it's like something I'd try to recreate but would never be able to capture how perfect it sounds. Then you have songs like Promenade, that just kinda float there and when they're over you realise that it was just a perfect song

I find anything atmospheric to be really inspiring. I suppose it's why I love going to mountainous regions or doing landscape photography too. I mean, songs by other artists that I find inspiring like ASOH are Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Porcupine Tree's Fadeaway, and Agalloch's She Painted Fire Across The Skyline. General theme of vast, open, utterly enthralling and consuming soundscapes.

Oh, and Verses by Russian Circles? The section between about 3:40-5:40 is pretty much the one piece of guitar that I will forever wish I wrote. Nothing makes me want to write music more than that.

Just listened to that Russian Circles song and I have to say that is some pretty brilliant guitar work, simple but that is just really effective

Just listened to that Russian Circles song and I have to say that is some pretty brilliant guitar work, simple but that is just really effective

Yep, exactly. Just totally blew me away when I first heard it.

The ASOH live intro is the same really ... simple, anybody can play it (hell, even I can!), but it just sounds fantastic. If you can compose something the right way, it doesn't matter if it's simple or complex. Just as long as it's effective.

Haha, speaking of Russian Circles, I just discovered they have a new album coming out on 20 October!

And it's called GENEVA!

Oh man, that's just perfect. Geneva ... :drool:

Definitely, I mean I'm not against complex guitar work heck the other member of my band is an amazing guitarist, he can shred like crazy. But sometimes I think my favourite guitar parts are always the simple ones, I mean if you can do something right in 5 notes why do it in 12? Although I really do appreciate a mix, I love when a band can switch from a really simple guitar line, into something complex but yet beautiful/depressing/heartbreaking anything that gets an emotional response.

To sum up, music is fucking amazing

Definitely, I mean I'm not against complex guitar work heck the other member of my band is an amazing guitarist, he can shred like crazy. But sometimes I think my favourite guitar parts are always the simple ones, I mean if you can do something right in 5 notes why do it in 12? Although I really do appreciate a mix, I love when a band can switch from a really simple guitar line, into something complex but yet beautiful/depressing/heartbreaking anything that gets an emotional response.

To sum up, music is fucking amazing

Yep, those are pretty much my thoughts exactly. Even when it comes to bands I like who are known for complexity, my favourite songs are the simpler ones. I look at Dream Theater, known for their proggy technicality, and then look at my favourite songs by them - they're almost all the more simple, spare, open tracks (relatively speaking).

I think the real art with complex music is not making it feel stifled, but retaining space and atmosphere - and I think it's only a rare few who are able to do that.

I might end up checking it out when it leaks :up:

I can't wait for a leak now! Their second album, Station (which Verses is on), is really worth checking out, it was my favourite album of 2008 and one of my top albums from this decade.

Actually, they're like what you describe above - able to go from simple to complex while remaining effective. Their guitarist does some insane shit on Death Rides A Horse, for instance.

Yep, those are pretty much my thoughts exactly. Even when it comes to bands I like who are known for complexity, my favourite songs are the simpler ones. I look at Dream Theater, known for their proggy technicality, and then look at my favourite songs by them - they're almost all the more simple, spare, open tracks (relatively speaking).

I think the real art with complex music is not making it feel stifled, but retaining space and atmosphere - and I think it's only a rare few who are able to do that.

I can't wait for a leak now! Their second album, Station (which Verses is on), is really worth checking out, it was my favourite album of 2008 and one of my top albums from this decade.

Actually, they're like what you describe above - able to go from simple to complex while remaining effective. Their guitarist does some insane shit on Death Rides A Horse, for instance.

Yeah you're definitely right it really is an art that few can ever master

I'll definitely keep an eye out for them, they do sound like a band I'd probably end up liking

Time for me to make some chocolate icing ... I don't know how anybody could fail to love making this stuff. :drool:

It's really quick to make and then I get to eat the leftovers out of the bowl ... :drool:

Well you're set for life then :up:

Plans for tomorrow:
Go to friend's house
Record drums for Time
Record vocals for Time
Do a final mix of Time
If we have time (pun) record video for youtube
Upload song to myspace and last.fm

I've got a long day ahead of me :lol:

Well, that was one of the best things I've done all week. :drool:

I hope recording Time works out similarly for you! Are you doing the clocks intro?

Well, that was one of the best things I've done all week. :drool:

I hope recording Time works out similarly for you! Are you doing the clocks intro?

You're making me feel hungry, at 2am! :lol:

We took some sound samples of some famous clocks/bells basically our intro is focused around Big Ben. The eternal struggle to not screw up a masterpiece yet still add your own style and original ideas to, hoping we don't screw it up :lol:

Go oooon, have some choc.

Ah, cool. Looking forward to hearing it when you're done. :up:

We should have it finished by tomorrow, then again that is a major should :lol:

I refuse to comment on whether or not I am currently eating chocolate :shifty:

Good luck!

I'm resisting the urge to consume the goods I have baked ... they are calling to me from the kitchen ... *resists valiantly*

Hahaha, Virgin Blue's page about Melbourne describes it as a "giant roasted onion", while if you try to go to their Gold Coast page, you fittingly just receive an error. :laugh:

Really should've sorted out this trip to Queensland sooner. Mum's 50th birthday is kind of in less than a fortnight. Ah well, there's the flights booked now, at least.

Hahaha, Virgin Blue's page about Melbourne describes it as a "giant roasted onion", while if you try to go to their Gold Coast page, you fittingly just receive an error. :laugh:

Really should've sorted out this trip to Queensland sooner. Mum's 50th birthday is kind of in less than a fortnight. Ah well, there's the flights booked now, at least.

Giant roasted onion :lol: That's just funny

Someone left that late :lol: glad you were able to get flights though

No, I have made it for a special occasion ... which means I get to eat it in a couple of hours.

I won't say no to tiding myself over with Swiss chocolate though!

Giant roasted onion :lol: That's just funny

Someone left that late :lol: glad you were able to get flights though

Their whole page on Melbourne is just some of the worst, hilarious promo I've ever read: Virgin Blue > Melbourne

Wasn't even too expensive either. Could've got it even cheaper if I'd been willing to fly back home at 6am, but ... no. I'll spend $20 more for a 2pm departure.

That is just awful, I think I'd rather avoid it after reading that

How much are flights over there? here all flights are dirt cheap but there's no such thing as comfort or even being able to go to the bathroom :lol:

Sometimes there are ridiculous specials, but under ordinary circumstances, I'd expect to get to the Gold Coast for about $300-400 return. Paid about $450 this time, could've done it for about $375 if I'd travelled at less favourable times but I haven't seen the family at all this year so I've eked out as much time as I could and dodged early flights too.

I think $300-400 works out to about 160-220 Euro ...

That's not too bad, over here we mostly get free flights excluding taxes and charges. And then you pay for baggage, and then carry on, and then to use the toilet (well not yet but soon)....

I've noticed Virgin Blue has just started charging extra for checked-in luggage at the cheapest fare level, but it's only $8 - doesn't bother me since I'm going to Queensland for only three nights, so I won't need to pack much or check in anything. And you have to pay for food on board, but the flights aren't long enough to need a meal, really.

I was amazed by some of the extra charges the budget European airlines have come up with. The whole paying extra for priority boarding thing cracked me up. Especially since I got to board ahead of them thanks to my cane!

You make full use of that cane don't you Ax? :lol:

I usually just sit around and wait until everyone else is boarding before standing up, I'm usually in no hurry to get on planes

It's amazing how handy the cane is! Quick through customs, priority boarding on planes, they even let us carry food into GA at Croke Park while confiscating everybody else's! It was hilarious after gigs: I'd just get pushed in front of whoever I was with, in order to clear a path. :laugh:

As for boarding planes, I usually try to get on as soon as I can, just so that I can settle down into my seat and get back to reading. Plane seats are invariably more comfortable than those in departure lounges.

Back
Top Bottom