Disneyland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RavenBlue said:
Who are you listening to Ax?

I find black metal oddly soothing.

Savage music soothes the savage beast...:hmm:

Wolves In The Throne Room. The title track from Diadem Of 12 Stars.

They're probably my favourite atmospheric black metal band. Huge, epic, suffocating sound.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Agree to disagree then, bud.

Don't tell Lance or Laz though. They're not as forgiving as I am.

:lol: I just find movies to be lazy. You sit there and observe; the story is told to you. It's not very involving. I'll take music and literature. Especially since I can take both at once. You can't watch a movie and read Dostoevsky at the same time.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'm sorry, but that makes me giggle.

What makes me laugh is suicidal black metal.

Sure, some of it's good if you're into the black metal sonic aesthetic, but "suicidal black metal"? Come on, guys. At least "depressive black metal" doesn't sound completely stupid.

Axver said:

:lol: I just find movies to be lazy. You sit there and observe; the story is told to you. It's not very involving. I'll take music and literature. Especially since I can take both at once. You can't watch a movie and read Dostoevsky at the same time.

I see what you're saying, that's cool.

There are pretty avant-garde films out there I'm sure you'd like. I have a feeling you'd like David Lynch films if you gave them a try. Screwtape is more of an authority on his work than I am.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I see what you're saying, that's cool.

There are pretty avant-garde films out there I'm sure you'd like. I have a feeling you'd like David Lynch films if you gave them a try. Screwtape is more of an authority on his work than I am.

Yeah, I have heard of some avantgarde films that sound like they'd be pretty interesting. I've no idea where exactly I'm meant to find them though. I suppose bit torrent; I just hate my slow Internet connection. Not that it's slow compared to Ravva's dialup. :wink:

I also want to see the movies that have been used in Agalloch's music. I believe a number of samples in their songs come from Ingmar Bergman films.

I've never heard of them :hmm: *writes down name*

I'll have to check 'em out. :up:

Thankfully there's a local shop now that is carrying quite a few decent metal bands.

Are you in Isis? I was just curious as to whether they growl or if it's clean vocals or mixed.

Axver said:

Yeah, I have heard of some avantgarde films that sound like they'd be pretty interesting. I've no idea where exactly I'm meant to find them though. I suppose bit torrent; I just hate my slow Internet connection. Not that it's slow compared to Ravva's dialup. :wink:

I also want to see the movies that have been used in Agalloch's music. I believe a number of samples in their songs come from Ingmar Bergman films.

I just think films are a different aesthetic than books and music. You can't really ask one to be like the other without chances of it being an epic phail, you know? That's just my opinion, and I don't think I used the word "aesthetic" correctly.

My personal recommendation to you if you haven't seen it already is Blade Runner. You want atmosphere, it's got it in shit-tons. Vangelis' score reeks of atmosphere. I think what I'm trying to say is that it's good on atmosphere.

Also, a robot gouges a man's eyes out with his thumbs. Fun for the whole family.

RavenBlue said:
I've never heard of them :hmm: *writes down name*

I'll have to check 'em out. :up:

Thankfully there's a local shop now that is carrying quite a few decent metal bands.

Are you in Isis? I was just curious as to whether they growl or if it's clean vocals or mixed.

You've got to listen to them. Both Diadem Of 12 Stars and Two Hunters are incredible albums. They do very long, sweeping, epic songs with massive walls of intense guitars. Trust me when I say all the superlatives are justified. If you've ever heard Weakling, these guys take the Weakling template and make it so much better.

Isis are pretty good. The vocals are more shrieks, and buried under waves of post-metal sound. I recommend the song So Did We from the album Panopticon as the place to start.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I just think films are a different aesthetic than books and music. You can't really ask one to be like the other without chances of it being an epic phail, you know? That's just my opinion, and I don't think I used the word "aesthetic" correctly.

My personal recommendation to you if you haven't seen it already is Blade Runner. You want atmosphere, it's got it in shit-tons. Vangelis' score reeks of atmosphere. I think what I'm trying to say is that it's good on atmosphere.

Also, a robot gouges a man's eyes out with his thumbs. Fun for the whole family.

Part of the problem with films is that I've been pretty much solely exposed to your stereotypical Hollywood cliche films that you can find in any old cinema. I like to be involved, to be doing something. I find books to be incredibly involving; just the sheer act of reading. Movies, I just sit there and end up getting restless in most cases.

I've heard plenty of good things before about Blade Runner. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Axver said:

yeah. films, to me, are just like music. there's some great stuff out there that really makes you think, and then there's stupid pop crap that was just thrown together to make a quick buck.

for me, it's all about netflix. but i'm 99.999999% sure that's just a u.s. thing. besides, it sounds like you're wanting to go the free route. if you're willing to pay though, you might want to look at amazon's site. i know at least here, they offer the ability to rent dvds via download for cheap.

Axver said:

Part of the problem with films is that I've been pretty much solely exposed to your stereotypical Hollywood cliche films that you can find in any old cinema. I like to be involved, to be doing something. I find books to be incredibly involving; just the sheer act of reading. Movies, I just sit there and end up getting restless in most cases.

I've heard plenty of good things before about Blade Runner. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Like Khan said, there's a pretty big similarity between pop crap movies and music, you've just gotta know where to look.

It sucks that you've been exposed to crap so often, maybe you'll find some stuff you'll like in the future.

Ah guys, I've gotta go finish homework for tomorrow and sleep. Talk to you all later.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Like Khan said, there's a pretty big similarity between pop crap movies and music, you've just gotta know where to look.

It sucks that you've been exposed to crap so often, maybe you'll find some stuff you'll like in the future.

This is the thing. I know where to look for music. I sort of know where to look for literature. But for films? Haven't the first fucking clue.

Plus, being poor and stingy, music and books work out to be much better value for money at this point in my life.

LemonMacPhisto said:

:yes: i have a friend who likes every mindless movie that's come out, it seems. examples from their myspace: Hairspray, The Breakfast Club, Romy & Michele's High School Reunion, The Wedding Singer, Mrs. Doubtfire, Sixteen Candles, Pretty In Pink, Some Kind Of Wonderful, etc.

there's obviously more stuff out there than just that. thank god for that. :)

Axver said:
This is the thing. I know where to look for music. I sort of know where to look for literature. But for films? Haven't the first fucking clue.

Plus, being poor and stingy, music and books work out to be much better value for money at this point in my life.
i wouldn't know where to suggest, unfortunately. the only place i know of is a private site. i can't download anything anymore because my isp seems to block torrents. :sigh:

KhanadaRhodes said:

:yes: i have a friend who likes every mindless movie that's come out, it seems. examples from their myspace: Hairspray, The Breakfast Club, Romy & Michele's High School Reunion, The Wedding Singer, Mrs. Doubtfire, Sixteen Candles, Pretty In Pink, Some Kind Of Wonderful, etc.

there's obviously more stuff out there than just that. thank god for that. :)

:lol: Excuse me while I call your friend shallow ...

KhanadaRhodes said:

i wouldn't know where to suggest, unfortunately. the only place i know of is a private site. i can't download anything anymore because my isp seems to block torrents. :sigh:

Lame. Have you tried changing the port you use to connect with torrents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom