College Hoops 2006-2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How's this, we turned the college hoops thread into the NBA token white guy thread, nice hijack.

Anyone see VaTech/UNC yesterday? I caught a bit at the end, never seen such hoops madness at VaTech before, good for them.

That might've been the only time I've ever rooted for Virginia Tech, ever.

Hopefully FSU wins a game in the ACC sometime this year :happy:

LemonMacPhisto said:
That might've been the only time I've ever rooted for Virginia Tech, ever.

:madspit:

This was a proud weekend for us Hokies. Could you even hear any of the announcers over the screaming? I couldn't! That game is one for the record books.

hokiebird.jpg

Indiana with a big win at UCONN :dancing:

next stop Illannoy, I'm looking at you WHA

Sampson :drool:

Went down to the Wachovia Center for the 'Nova-Texas game today. Exciting win for 'Nova without their best player Curtis Sumpter. They primarily guarded Durant with 6-1 point Scottie Reynolds, and it worked.

My favorite moments:

- At one point, the refs briefly stopped the game and added two seconds to the game clock and shot clock. The Villanova student section ("Nova Nation") loudly boos the decision.

- Towards the end of the first half, after a number of slips by both teams in the paint, they stopped the game realized that the Big East Conference logos in the lane were not painted but stickered on, and were causing the slipping. So the refs started picking away at it ripping the sticker. Next thing, the announcer goes, "Will the maintenance crew please report to the scorer's table immediately!" They spend the next 2-3 minutes removing the stickers.

- Immediately following the ordeal, the Texas fan that sat behind me and clapped too much said to her son "Do you think they did it on purpose to make them slip?"

- After the game a drunk fan tripped and fell on to a stack of the things they use to cover the ice on the floor that were for some reason in the halls, though off to the side. It made a very loud bang, causing everyone leaving to turn and look, and in typical Philly fashion, someone yells, "Down goes Frazier!" without even checking to see if the guys alright. He gets up a little disoriented and gives the yeller a thumbs up.

You can't make this stuff up.

Here's a first look at the 14 TV games in the 2007 O'Reilly ESPNU BracketBusters:

Friday, Feb. 16
Winthrop at Missouri State
The visiting Eagles get one more chance to bag a high-RPI catch and get back to the periphery of the bubble after missing out on their four chances vs. current Top 25 teams. They'll have to figure out how to stop one of the best pure shooters in the country, Blake Ahearn.
Albany at Boise State
The America East is first and foremost a guards league, and if the Great Danes can survive a title challenge by resurgent (yet Buster-idle) Vermont, this western test will toughen them up for the NCAAs, where Connecticut's size wore them down last year. The Broncos feature Matt Nelson and Reggie Larry, two double-double machines who average 17.5 rpg between them.

Friday, Feb. 17
Southern Illinois at Butler
A dream matchup between two nationally ranked, giant-killing at-large candidates in the place where Hollywood shot the "Hoosiers" title game. Will Butler's best-in-the-nation ball control vs. SIU's sticky, sweaty pressure defense produce the best 35-33 game ever? Best to film this one in black and white.
Northern Iowa at Nevada
The Panthers have excelled with a floor-spreading frontcourt that's muscular and quick, yet undersized (topping out at 6-foot-8); how will they handle the dynamic all-around game of 6-11 Nick Fazekas? You'll also see two extremely skilled point guards who need more exposure: Valley assists leader Brooks McKowen and the Pack's heart and soul, Ramon Sessions.

Bradley at VCU
This game should have enough intensity with the floor burns alone to power the VCU campus for the weekend. Both squads are hard and scrappy with appetites for 3s and steals. With a place in the at-large conversation on the line, this one has the capability of sparking a long-distance rivalry.

Holy Cross at Hofstra
VCU currently is the hottest team in the CAA at 10-0, but the Pride has kept pace at 9-1 and has a home shot at the leaders later this week. If the 7-0 Crusaders continue to roll, this could be a real red-hot Colonial-Patriot Challenge. Hofstra appears to have the market cornered on backcourt play; Holy Cross' resurgent inside game should provide a good counterbalance.

Appalachian State at Wichita State
Definitely the day's mystery game. The SoCon's Mountaineers are the nation's most mysterious team: look at their boxscores, and you'll see that they rarely win the same way twice. They'll be paired against the Syracuse- and LSU-beating Shockers, whose six Valley L's have been investigations into new and interesting ways to lose. Not even Peter Falk could have this straight.

Old Dominion at Toledo
A real Robert Louis Stevenson matchup. Toledo snuck into the 2006 MAC title game as a No. 7 seed, but has plundered the weak West Division this season like the pirates from "Treasure Island." Old Dominion's season has been like "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde": The Monarchs upset Georgetown and thrashed Drexel, but lost badly at CAA laggard James Madison.

Utah State at Oral Roberts
NCAA perennial Utah State has had a tough time keeping up with the WAC race, but owns a mid-60s RPI; Mid-Con champ Oral Roberts currently is unblemished in their its defense at 7-0, and might get a better seed than last year's 16 with a home win here. The two schools aren't exactly strangers: The Golden Eagles and Aggies held an in-season home-and-home last season (swept by Utah State).

Drexel at Creighton Promises to be a tough, gritty battle featuring two teams that stand out more on the standings table than the stat sheet -- already, a combined 29 wins between them. We're just looking forward to the chess match between CU's Dana Altman and DU's Bruiser Flint -- two masters at using their pieces in whatever way is necessary to win, regardless of aesthetics.

Austin Peay at Akron
Surprise OVC leader, powered by sophomore sensation and league POY candidate Drake Reed, would improve its RPI dramatically if it finds a way to beat the not-much-of-a-surprise MAC East leader and its inside-outside combination of LeBron's old pals, Romeo Travis and Dru Joyce.

Ohio at New Mexico State
Ohio is tied for third in the competitive MAC East, but it has five double-figure scorers and is the league's RPI leader. NMSU already has beaten WAC-leading Nevada once and showed signs that it may be able to do it again when it counts. Watch and take notes.

Cal State Fullerton at Wright State
This'll be an exciting battle between pint-sized seniors who can fill it up. Big West contender Fullerton brings Bobby Brown, a 6-0 guard who shoots 50 percent and averages around 20 a game. WSU (which has been hanging around with Butler at the top of the Horizon) has 5-11 Dashaun Wood, who pops in 19 a contest.

Kent State at George Mason
It's a game for the historians in the house: the mid-major Final Four squad from the CAA versus what had been the most recent Elite Eight mid out of the MAC. Though neither is setting their respective leagues on fire this season, both have 12 wins at this point, are dedicated to solid defense, and provide interesting case studies on building mid-major legacies.

:drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i might swing up... depends on what time my own game finishes. should be done in enough time though (then again i said the same thing about the stony brook-villanova game and it was half time before i got there)

you probably haven't posted yet bc you're out celebrating :sad: VCU broke their 10 game winning streak.

And right now VT is down by 6!!!

Think Roy Williams is making friends in ACC coaching circles by having his team hoisting 3's late in games while leading by 35-40 points?

redhotswami said:

you probably haven't posted yet bc you're out celebrating :sad: VCU broke their 10 game winning streak.

And right now VT is down by 6!!!

didn't make the game... couldn't get out in time.

i bet hofstra's killing themselves about their classic trap loss to delaweare in the game before the VCU game. they'd be in a tie for first in the conference and they own the tie breaker.

Hewson said:
Think Roy Williams is making friends in ACC coaching circles by having his team hoisting 3's late in games while leading by 35-40 points?

i'm guessing no

i will have to say that UNC's defense has looked tremendous of late.

i will also say that if the first two college basketball games you watched this year were last night's Ohio State/Purdue and Texas/Texas Tech last night, you'd still be praying for the #1 pick for the Celts, but to draft Durant, not Oden.

in the perfect world they'll both stay for another year.

I saw a bit of both games last night, and clearly Durant had the better game. I'd be happy with either as I see both as having the potential to be a franchise guy for a decade. Oden intrigues me more because a franchise 7 footer is a rare commodity. But I'd be quite happy with Durant.
With the way Al Jefferson is blossoming, a healthy Pierce, further development of Gerald Green and one of those 2 guys and you have a pretty good nucleus.

Just lose baby.

now that the super bowl is over, it's time to get into more important things... rivalry week :drool:

ESPN Rivalry Week Schedule
Monday
7:00 - Syracuse at UConn - ESPN
9:00 - #23 Texas at #8 Texas A&M - ESPN

Tuesday
7:00 - Michigan at #4 Ohio State - ESPN
7:00 - St. Joe's at Villanova - ESPN2
9:00 - LSU at Tennessee - ESPN
12:00 - Gonzaga at Loyola Marymount - ESPN2

Wednesday
7:00 - Georgetown at Louisville - ESPN
7:00 - Illinois at Northwestern - ESPN2
9:00 - #3 North Carolina at #10 Duke :drool: - ESPN

Thursday
7:00 - #19 Notre Dame at DePaul - ESPN
9:00 - #12 Memphis at UAB - ESPN

Friday
Nothing... watch Full House TGIF reruns and save yourself for the orgy of college basketball goodness that is...

Saturday
12:00 - #15 Marquette at Georgetown - ESPN
2:00 - Iowa at #2 Wisconsin - ESPN
2:00 - Middle Tennessee State at Western Kentucky - ESPN2
3:30 - #6 Kansas at Missouri - ABC
4:00 - Texas Tech at #14 Oklahoma State - ESPN
4:00 - Hofstra at George Mason - ESPN2
6:00 - Providence at #7 Pittsburgh - ESPN
6:05 - Creighton at Southern Illinois - ESPN2
8:00 - Xavier at George Washington - ESPN2
9:00 - #1 Florida at #24 Kentucky - ESPN

you forgot a VERY important game :angry:

Consider: By league standings, the biggest Rivalry Week game in this conference is not Carolina-Duke on Wednesday. It's Virginia-Virginia Tech (23) on Saturday. The Cavaliers are 7-2 and tied for first, the Hokies are 6-3 and alone in fourth. Meanwhile, the Heels and Devils both wobble into their more celebrated meeting off losses.

I'm still amazed Florida State beat Duke at Duke.

They should crack the Top 25.

What about UVA?! Wow! They might actually do something this year. I have been afraid to mention I liked them here but since I'm not bad luck anymore I might as well. Go UVA!

Redhotswami, who do you root for, UVA or VA Tech? Am I the only person in VA who doesn't hate one of those teams? (the rivalry is much worse in football than basketball)

U2Kitten said:
What about UVA?! Wow! They might actually do something this year. I have been afraid to mention I liked them here but since I'm not bad luck anymore I might as well. Go UVA!

Redhotswami, who do you root for, UVA or VA Tech? Am I the only person in VA who doesn't hate one of those teams? (the rivalry is much worse in football than basketball)

VT. I'm a Hokie :D

the duke v. UNC game was pretty good. It's too bad duke let up in the last 10 minutes. They really need some sort of inside presence. It seems like the Tar Heels were attacking the net for easy layups far too often. I miss JJ.

Back
Top Bottom