College Football: Mid-Season Report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Eight unranked teams this deep into the season leaves the final picture wide open.

Of those 8 teams, one of them, Bowling Green, is irrelevant, just as Marshall and Tulane have been in year's past, because of weak scehdules. Of the other seven, two of the teams will play each other in regular season; well, they (Miami and Virginia Tech) have scheduled the game on December 7 to make it a "big game" like the SEC and Big 12 Championship games; it is, in effect, the title game for the Big East as both of those teams could easily go into that game undefeated or at least on a strong conference record. I do not think Miami will have any problems with Tennessee either.

But we could possibly be looking at 6 undefeated teams as we enter Bowl season, and that is when strength of schedule quality points will be big factors. Although Alabama is ineligible for post-season play, Oklahoma and Georgia fans should pull for the Tide for that very reason (had to throw that in there).

Without running through every team in this week's BCS rankings, I will take a quick look at the 7 undefeated teams:

Oklahoma: I still believe in this team and their coach; they have proven a lot in the past 2 weeks vs. Texas and Iowa State; it is an honor to me and the team I pull for that a former interferncer recently told me that "Bama is the best team we have played." It is also frustrating for the late interception we threw, but oh well. I think Stoops will lead this team to the Fiesta Bowl on a perfect record as I do not see any team, including Colorado, giving them a run in their regular season.

Miami: Head Coach Larry Coker knows nothing of being a head coach, other than being the head coach of the #1 team in the nation. Since he began as head coach of the Hurricanes in August, 2001, Miami has been ranked number one and proven it by not being beaten. Granted, Florida had a week at number one in one of the polls last year, but remember the Auburn game that they lost last year on a field goal? The game where the Aubs tore down their goal post then went on to lose the rest of their games? Florida should not have been number one in anything last year except stock drops after they lost the Ole' Ball Coach, Steve Spurrier, only to replace him with "What Is A" Ron Zook. Miami was the wire-to-wire champions in my book last year, and they are yet to do anything to convince me otherwise, EXCEPT a close call with a lousy FSU team (who should NOT be in the BCS Top 15). They will beat Tennessee and their conference foes through November; their biggest test will be when the host also-unbeaten Virginia Tech on December 7, which brings us to...

Virginia Tech: The Hokies have had several long haul seasons that have unfortunately fallen in senseless choke games, but I do not see them facing a real test until they travel to Miami on December 7 for the de facto Big East Championship Game. And TRAVEL they will: Hokies fans travel very well, and Miami has a hard time filling its own home stadium. If you could leave Blacksburg, Virginia for a few cold December days, wouldn't Coral Gables, Florida be a nice retreat destination? Miami/Coker's streak will end eventually; if it happens in the year 2002, it will happen courtesy of Frank Beamer's Virginia Tech Hokies on December 7.

Georgia: Off to their best start since Herschel Walker led them to a national championship in 1982 (or was it 1983?), the Dawgs are for real this season. The only problem is a growing injury report. They have conquered 2 obstacles (Bama & Tennessee) and still face Florida and Auburn in the regular season, with a likely LSU match-up on December 7 in the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta. How ironic is it that Georgia has NEVER played int eh SEC Championship Game, in their own state, an hour down the road? When the game was held in Birmingham during its first 2 years, Alabama travelled an hour up the road every year to play in it, then played the first year in Atlanta after it was moved (for favoring bama too much or to move to a better, indoor facility?). So long as Bama wins out this season, I would love it if Georgia and Oklahoma fought it out for the National Championship; that would make our 2 losses slightly more bearable. Georgia finally has a chance to shine in the SEC, and I think they will do that and take a long-absent SEC crown.

Notre Dame: Last year I told Lemonite, Screaming Flower, and the late TheU2 that I felt that Tyrone Willingham was the right coach for the Golden Domers. I stand by that statement. Sure, it took the Fighting Irish (is that mascot name offensive/politically incorrect/insensitive?) three or four games to score an offensive touchdown, but most national championship teams have a few faults and lucky wins along the way. They will beat FSU like a drum, but the Trojans of Southern Cal will give them a scare. I do not usually like Notre Dame, but I have enjoyed watching their success this year and I think it will continue.

Ohio State: Is it better to say that there is a lot of parity in the Big Ten, or that the Big Ten sucks? Honestly, I think it IS parity, and there are some good teams (Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State). Personally, I hope Penn State beats them this weekend since I want Joe Paterno to take a safe lead against Bobby Bowden at FSU for all-time wins. I don't know if that will happen, but it is my hope and I think it could happen (even though it is at the unfriendly OSU Big House). Is it just me, or is anyone else getting tired of professionally arrogant ollege football players? Fresham Maurice Clarrett think he is so good that he should be allowed to enter the NFL now. Tennessee's Kelley Washington has informed the world that he wants to be known as "The Future" and has contacted major sports media outlets asking them to write articles about him. Does this kind of behavior create a team atmosphere? I don't think it does and I think it will hurt these teams in the long run.

And last but definitely not least...

N.C. State: There is no lost shoe or pumpkin that turns into a carriage; this is NOT a Cinderalla team. Instead, the N.C. State Wolfpack is off to its best start EVER, at 9-0 as of tonight. And it was not the Phillip Rivers 4 Heisman Show; in fact, he was a bit stale from what I saw, but their defense, particularly the secondary, was picking Clemson apart tonight in a blowout AT Clemson. I don't see their biggest challenges as Georgia Tech and Florida State, but I do see as more of a threat an unpredictable Georgia Tech and an up-and-coming Virginia team, simply by element of surprise. If they make it all the way, Rivers' visit to the New York Athletic Club should be very favorable, and the team's visit to a big time New Year's Bowl should be equally favorable.

As for Bowling Green, let them play Wake Forest in a good bowl game.

As for Alabama, this Saturday is our best chance in a long time to beat the Tennessee Volunteers. To borrow something from the Oklahoma fans and their love of THEIR big orange "T" neighbors...
Tuck Fennessee. (sorry about that, Crzy4Bono, but it IS Tennessee Week)

Roll Tide.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
Va Tech is too 1-dimensional to beat Miami.
If ND gets past FSU Saturday, they'll likley vault Miami in the BCS, and you might have an unbeaten Miami team at the end of the season ranked #1 in both polls and not playing in the Fiesta Bowl (which should end up ND vs Oklahoma if both win out), that would really say something about the current system. Its a long shot, but it would be funny as hell.

U2Bama said:
Is it better to say that there is a lot of parity in the Big Ten, or that the Big Ten sucks? Honestly, I think it IS parity, and there are some good teams (Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State).

Agreed (though I'm somewhat biased). My argument against those who say the Big Ten is weak, is to ask them why we have two teams in the top 8 of the BCS. Sure the BCS sucks, but it still determines the nat'l champion.

Screaming Flower:

You're welcome; I just pray to Touchdown Jesus that your Irish down let us down tomorrow.

Hewson:

That scenario is getting some airtime on sports radio down here (OU, Miami & ND all remaining unbeaten). For that matter, we could end up with 4 or more unbeatens. Makes for a good playoff case.

Foxxern:

I feel the same way about the SEC this season; sure, we have Georgia unbeaten and LSU looking pretty good, but an SEC team can go down on any given Saturday. My dream for the past few years has been for Notre Dame to join the Big Ten, making it a 12 team conference, and having a conference championship game. Notre Dame is the best fit for two reasons: (1) geography, and (2) they like playing Big Ten teams as it is. I realize the Irish are in the Big East basketball conference, but I have a sinister plan for the Big East as well: dissolve it AND the ACC, and make one strong conference of the better teams from the two: FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Pitt, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Clemson, West Virginia, Virginia and Boston College, also bringing up a 12 team conference and a championship game. This would really put the basketball allignments into chaos, but it makes for a more level playing field in football, and the system sucks as it is. We could also add a few of the good WAC and Mountain West Conference teams into the PAC-10 and Conference USA, here again with 12 teams each and a conference chapmionship game. Very complex and controversial I know, but I think it would be better than what we have.

Oh, and I'm sorry that Illinois is having a tough season; quite a drop from last year.

If anyone needs me this weekend, here is my weird schedule:

Tomorrow morning/early afternoon: I am attending the LSU at Auburn football game.

Afternoon: driving from Auburn to Atlanta.

Evening: Watching the Alabama at Tennessee game witht he Atlanta Chapter of the Alabama Alumni Association.

Sunday: Attending the NASCAR Napa 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

I don't like Auburn and I despise NASCRAP, but I am a loving husband.

Roll Tide and have a superb weekend.

~U2Alabama

upset of the week, 'Cuse is favored by 14 over Rutgers in BE play, ridiculous, Rutgers has played Tenn, Pitt and Virginia Tech tough in 3 of their last 4 games, if I were a betting man, I would put money on this game!

Wanderer...I hope you aren't a betting man. Syracuse 45, Rutgers 14.

If you are a betting man, next week, look at Boston College as a strong play. Don't know the spread yet obviously, but they are at Notre Dame and will be getting generous points (I'm guessing between 14 and 17). Notre Dame is due for a let down after 2 rousing road wins at Air Force and FSU, and BC is just talented enough to hang with them, probably losing a close on like 23-16 or so.

fucking hell, they had the spread covered at 24-14 in the 4th, and they collapsed in the last 10 mins, i guess that's what happens when your true freshman 3rd string qb ends up in the game after injuries... fortunately, I am not a betting man

Well ND is only a 10 point favorite over BC this weekend, so the oddsmakers must also see this as a possible letdown scenario for the Irish. Don't like BC getting only 10, 14 or more yeah, but not 10.

I am sorry The Wanderer (have i told you that I like your name) that Rutgers couldn't hold on

:wink:

Oklahoma 27
Colorado 11

Notre Dame???? wtf?

Texas is playing now, Chrissy Simms <--:der: makes me :angry:

:wave:

Just some thoughts:

Two unbeatens have gone down so far today--Notre Dame and NC State. I wonder how Tyrone Willingham feels now. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but his pensiveness and refusal to look any other way but stonefaced annoys me.

Oklahoma looked pretty snazzy today against a good Colorado team. The defense was dominant and our offense was pretty good. I honestly don't think one of Hybl's interceptions was his fault. The defender was lying on the ground and then popped up right at the perfect moment. Overall, I felt good about it. I just wish someone would mention some of OUr players for the Heisman. Quentin is a decent choice, imho.

Still rooting for Georgia. Hey, they're my other alma mater. Go DAWGS! And I'm still mad that my sister is getting 80 some points on ESPN's pigskin pick'em for picking Boston College. :mad:

i agree Heartland Girl, Quinton Griffin is a little Emmitt Smith (catch 22)

I think the Sooners of Oklahoma are oft overlooked for the Heisman trophy. Remember Weinke won over Heiple a couple of years ago, but who won the championship:sexywink:

As for Notre Dame, :confused:

Texas just won, barely over Nebraska. Good game, Chrissy Simms threw for 419 yards.

Alabama is ranked #12, correct, won today too.

I ahven't seen the Georgia score.

:)

HeartlandGirl said:
I wonder how Tyrone Willingham feels now. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but his pensiveness and refusal to look any other way but stonefaced annoys me.

willingham is the best thing to happen to notre dame in years. he is all class. despite this loss i'm incredibly proud of him and the irish. they far exceeded everyone's expectations this year already.

GO BGSU!

U2Bama said:

As for Bowling Green, let them play Wake Forest in a good bowl game.

I still can't believe that we're 8-0! I never could have even fathomed that we'd be ranked while I was in school here--it's pretty cool. And yes, of course we don't have a chance. We're in the MAC for Christ's sake. But still, this is pretty awesome.

from everything i've heard and read, Willingham is not only an excellent coach of the game, but his integrity and decency have earned him universal respect among people associated with college football

you can't win em all, and Notre Dame was not even supposed to be in this situation, they've over-acheived all season

More thoughts:

I'm not trying to belittle the season that Notre Dame has had thus far, and I'm not saying Willingham isn't a great coach. I would definitely vote for him as coach of the year. He just annoys me, and I have a right to that feeling.

Did anyone see Mack Brown after the Nebraska game? The reporter was trying to interview Simms, and Brown steps in and interrupts, "I don't care what anyone says. This kid played like the best quarterback in the country tonight." :rolleyes:

Alright, Mack, we get it. A lot of people think you made too big a sacrifice to get Simms to go to Texas, and many think that he hasn't been worth the trouble, but for crying out loud, lay off the "best QB in the nation" crap for five minutes. He doesn't care what anyone thinks? Uh, I think you do, Mack.

And yes, LBB, I think the Heisman voters wished they'd waited until after the Orange Bowl to cast their votes. There might have been a different result.

And everything changed within a few Saturday hours.

I still believe in Oklahoma.

And Alabama now owns the state of Tennessee.

~U2Alabama

It's too bad Iowa had a mental let down against Iowa State this year, otherwise they'd be unbeaten. I really do think Iowa might be the best football team in the country.

Offense: They've got it all. Best Oline in the country.

The most efficent QB in the country.

One of the best RB in the country(hurt right now with a bum hand, should be back soon), in fact, have many good RB's.

One of the best TE's in the nation.

One of the best WR corps in the nation.

The best place kicker in the nation.

Defense:
Best Run D in the nation.

Most sacks in Big Ten.

Knocked out 8 QB's so far this year.

Pass defense improving. One more thing to add here. A lot of talk has been about Iowa having a weak secondary. Mentioning that they give up a lot of yards through the air. It's misleading. Iowa has been ahead by so many points early on this year, in fact, all of this year, that teams HAVE TO PASS. Defending a pass on every play is very tough. Teams are going to get their pass yards. Look what they did to Charles Rogers, and Michigan came out throwing and they lost big time.

Special Teams: I would say tops in the country. They've blocked multiple fieldgoals, punts, return yards are great. They also have the best field position average around.

I posted facts. A lot of attention has been given to Iowa State(which I like too), and Iowa has unfairly been ignored. They went to Happy Valley, and THE BIG HOUSE and beat two very good teams. And they beat the easy ones. They had 5 bad minutes against Iowa state, a team they were winning by 24 in the 2nd half.

sorry for going on for so long. But Iowa has proven that they are a great team. They are 6th right now in some polls, and I think they should be higher, but if you're unbeaten you don't deserve to be ranked lower than a beaten team.

I just hope everyone loses but Iowa and some chance they get to show what they got on a big time stage.

Last edited:
BEAL said:
It's too bad Iowa had a mental let down against Iowa State this year, otherwise they'd be unbeaten. I really do think Iowa might be the best football team in the country.

:wave: :yes: This is just more proof that we need a playoff system in college football. I hate the way a team can lose just one game early in the season and then play great the rest of the way but still have practically zero chance for a shot at the national title. Of course it really hurts in this case since I've been a huge Hawkeye fan since I was a kid.

What's worse is Iowa might not even get play in the Rose Bowl despite how well they are playing because Ohio State also is unbeaten in conference play so far and would win the tiebreaker for the right to go to Pasedena because of their unblemished non-conference record. I wish that OSU and Iowa were playing each other this year so the thing could actually be decided on the field.

I wonder if Brad Banks has a shot at being a Heisman finalist. The ESPN2 people certainly were plugging him for it during today's game, which was nice to see. I think Kirk Ferenz should definitely be considered for Coach of the Year as well.

If the Rose Bowl is NOT the BCS Championship game, don't they try to accomodate the old Big Ten/Pac Ten allotment? If that is the case, AND if Iowa and Ohio State win out, it seems that Ohio State would go to the Fiesta Bowl, and Iowa would likely reach the BCS top 8 by season's end, thus going to the Rose Bowl as an at-large contender. I still don't understand why non-conference games (Iowa-Iowa State) play into the Big Ten title claim; if anything, Iowa and Ohio State should be co-champions of the Big Ten (if both win out). Frankly, I think the conference is flawed for not having a conference championship game.

Oklahoma disappointed me, but perhaps aTm's win will secure R.C. Slocum's job for another season so that Auburn and Tennessee fans will quit bothering me about our Coach Fran going to take Slocum's place at aTm; I bought a Coach Fran bobblehead at Arby's the other day.

Roll Tide.

~U2Alabama

3359%3B%3B5923232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2326%3D5%3A7%3D463%3Dxroqdf%3E232334%3A%3B85%3B5%3Aot1lsi

U2Bama and the late z edge, September 7, 2002
And NO, I am not shooting a "bird," that is my index finger.

Last edited:
U2Bama said:

if anything, Iowa and Ohio State should be co-champions of the Big Ten (if both win out). Frankly, I think the conference is flawed for not having a conference championship game.
Roll Tide.

~U2Alabama

QUOTE]

Bama-

If Iowa and the Buckeyes win out they will be considered co-champs of the Big Ten. In the past, pre-BCS, if there were co-champs, the team that had not been to the Rose Bowl in the longest time would represent the conference at that game.

You are right about a conference champion game.

Go Bucks!

U2ME3 said:
If Iowa and the Buckeyes win out they will be considered co-champs of the Big Ten. In the past, pre-BCS, if there were co-champs, the team that had not been to the Rose Bowl in the longest time would represent the conference at that game.

I knew this was the rule prior to the Rose Bowl becoming the 4th BCS Bowl, but I wasn't sure if they still factored in the Big 10 and Pac 10 runners-up the same way. Didn't Purdue or Iowa get to go a few years ago because they had the longest absence?

If both teams win out, this puts Iowa in Pasadena as they have not been since the early 90s, correct?

~U2Alabama

lets talk about WSU - Never any respect! The Cougs are a damn good team this year. With one Loss to OSU - in which they played terrible. Jasson Gesser is awesome. If they end up in a rematch against OSU in the Rose Bowl - WSU will win. If one of the other top teams falter down the stretch (i would love to see VT beat / depants Miami - wishfull thinking) I would look for WSU in the Fiesta Bowl. They have 2 games left (at home vs. Washingotn in the apple cup and at UCLA - which ABC asked them to move from this weekend to dec 7 so they could carry it). UW game could be interesting because that is like a season to itself, but they will win. WSU will win their final 2 games. Wazzu will finish with 1 loss to a good OSU team and still no love. end of rant.

U2Bama said:

~U2Alabama

3359%3B%3B5923232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2326%3D5%3A7%3D463%3Dxroqdf%3E232334%3A%3B85%3B5%3Aot1lsi

U2Bama and the late z edge, September 7, 2002
And NO, I am not shooting a "bird," that is my index finger.

Ha ha! Whoo! Great picture!

Ah, memories...

LOL at "the late z edge" :sad:

Back
Top Bottom