Canberra Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would you even bother reading Immanuel Kant or his contemporaries when there's Things I Wonder? DEEP.

A clip from my review

""Sweet Thing" plays like a song Taylor Swift would write 40 years later, except it is a million times better, the song to define all high school relationships."

I have to wonder how much Sweet Thing is a veiled comment on their father ...

With some tremolo and distortion, My Pal Foot Foot could make for a pretty decent My Bloody Valentine song.

Woah, slightly airier guitar tone on My Companion. If only Edge challenged himself like inept guitarist chick.

Wow, Why Do I Feel? breaks the four minute barrier? SHAGGS ARE GOIN' PROG.

Oh here we go, the Shaggs foreshadow CCM!

MUSICAL INNOVATORS EXTRAORDINAIRE.

Innocent Christian Music how can one hate these guys?

I want, nay, must hear this album:

70-1.jpg

Oh the Shaggs I haven't listened to you all in years, I used to be quite fond of you so let's do a running diary listen and see how it goes

Eh the title track, what an epic intro it has funky rhythm and here come some out of tune vocals and some overly simplistic lyrics but hey this works, it's got an awesome sing along chorus and some great drumming following it, great opening. Next up is "That Little Sports Car" despite some cool little guitar lines, the song fails to grab the first listen like the opener but hey I've heard worse. Is it just me or does the drumming on this album sound kinda like Meg White? Sounds like the Shaggs were an influence there.

"Who Are Parents?" Parents are the ones who force their kids to make shitty music! The first true misstep of the record and its the song that proves the father was a controlling jackass, creepy..."My Pal Foot Foot" kicks off with an awesome drum intro that has yet to be topped by any musician since, problem is once the song starts it all goes down hill, if only it ended with the drum solo then it would of been amazing. Luckily the song is saved by more awesome drumming halfway through it! I love this band's drummer she is awesome. The incredibly sweet "My Companion" is up next, and is powered by an awesome guitar break, not technically amazing but these girls knew how to great guitar parts, and then the end where we find out who the companion is, what a plot twist!

"I'm So Happy When You're Near" is another sweet classic, with some great simple lyrics and quite an awesome guitar solo to top it off. "Things I Wonder" sadly sees the bad fail at making a decent song for the first time in a while, as it's just all over the place and has nothing redeeming sadly. "Sweet Thing" plays like a song Taylor Swift would write 40 years later, except it is a million times better, the song to define all high school relationships. "It's Halloween" proves to be the band's career high point and is probably the only true classic they'll ever make sadly...we need a Shaggs reunion badly to hear this forgotten classic live.

"Why Do I Feel?" sees the band try to write a really deep song about how complicated life is do they succeed? Well...not really it's as innocent as the rest of their songs but it feels like it tries to play to it too much, this is The Shaggs phoning it in. Saved perhaps by the epic tempo change at the end where the Shaggs return to playing by their strengths. "What Should I Do?" is another play from theTaylor Swift songbook, I think Taylor models herself after these guys? The lyrics are very similar. Not one of the strongest songs on her though, maybe they should go back and write better songs? Yes that's what you should do. "We Have a Savior" is an honest piece of Christian Music that is hard to dislike because this band is so innocent, they sound so sincere about all this.

Overall The Shaggs weren't an amazing band, they had a lot of clunkers but this isn't a bad record and it has inspired countless musicians namely Meg White and Taylor Swift. The potential here is impossible to ignore, it's sad they didn't keep going, I feel like the Shaggs really could of one day been something special. Oh well this record will never be forgotten

My review, not a bad album :)

Back
Top Bottom