Bummerville, CA, United States Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoooly shit. I thought the "confirmation" had since been hurriedly taken down.

Fucking bring the tour to Australia guys.

Thank Liam Gallagher for disbanding his shitty band so Andy Bell can go back to being good at things with Ride again.

Every time Andy Bell gets mentioned, I know you can't be talking about this guy:

andy5.jpg

but I picture him anyways.

OK, guys. Serious business. I want to send Bono a get well card illustrated by the Superthread. Let's cover it in weird inside jokes and shit he won't understand. Can we make this happen or what? I'll do it. You know I'll do it. I followed through on the Fake List, Jack Nicholson Party and now I'll follow through on this.

I hope it will include the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein setlist.

It can, but we should seriously do this quickly. Only thing I can think of is just to send it to the hospital on a wing and a prayer that someone actually gives it to him. Who knows how long he's even going to be there :lol:.

We should tell him that if the injury is serious we can organise a benefit concert at the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein.

Write "PLAY ACROBAT!" on it.

His acrobatic skills were never more relevant.

Exam results out tomorrow morning so probably get to find out I've failed and then I get to work Saturday and Sunday what a weekend I have in store!

The worst part now is finding out who didn't pass...or the fact that one of my close friends who is repeating hasn't texted me yet and I don't want to text her in case things went badly...

Also, hate-reading threads on EYKIW about Bono's accident or the promo tour is great fun at the moment with all the paranoid idiots and people with over-active imaginations.

It's Friday evening here. You have permission to get drunk.

Doing some now! Going to meet up with some other people who passed for a drink at 12:30 or 1 (6 out of 11 of us :sigh:) then we get to go up to our floor in work and pop champagne! (that we have to buy ourselves :doh:)

Then we go to a nice lunch and hopefully get our bonus cheques and information on our payrise (or rise to a livable wage!)

So ridiculous though the overall passrate this year was 50.2% (for both Core and Elective) with the Core passrate dropping 7% year on year to just 62%

Also every new song I hear from Charli XCX is more underwhelming than the last

Oh I remember that crazy nutjob. He was one of the first people to have a go at me over my post count.

So, Superthread. Opinions on Newcastle? I've got an interview for a job there. I've been through it quickly a couple of times but never really stopped, been into the city, seen the sights, etc. I do like the sound of being near Hunter Valley wineries...

Mate, it's my hometown, and it will always be my spiritual home. A city that was fairly branded a bit too industrial has undergone significant beautification of late, and a Melbournesque cafe/bar culture is emerging slowly. Some of the best stretches of bush/coastline in the country, and the Hunter wineries are a big plus.

If I could do my job there, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

Mate, it's my hometown, and it will always be my spiritual home. A city that was fairly branded a bit too industrial has undergone significant beautification of late, and a Melbournesque cafe/bar culture is emerging slowly. Some of the best stretches of bush/coastline in the country, and the Hunter wineries are a big plus.

If I could do my job there, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

Ah there's that word I like to see, "Melbournesque". :wink:

Plus it's nice to have a positive view to counterbalance all the negativity! It seems most people down here think Newcastle's leading feature is "it's close to Sydney", but the bands I know who've toured through there have always enjoyed it for fun times off before/after their gig.

Though they're fucking up the city's transport by removing the central railway station, aren't they? God, what is this, the 1970s? That's Queensland levels of backward urban planning.

Ah there's that word I like to see, "Melbournesque". :wink:

Plus it's nice to have a positive view to counterbalance all the negativity! It seems most people down here think Newcastle's leading feature is "it's close to Sydney", but the bands I know who've toured through there have always enjoyed it for fun times off before/after their gig.

Though they're fucking up the city's transport by removing the central railway station, aren't they? God, what is this, the 1970s? That's Queensland levels of backward urban planning.

Yeah, Newcastle is just starting to embrace independent wine bars, craft beer pubs and cafes. It's been a slow process, that and the urban renewal through the middle of town.

Also, don't be fooled about the train station - it's a good thing they are taking it back - There are too many dangerous rail crossings through the city. I believe the plan is to have light rail use the infrastructure (though the crossings will be over/under-passed), and also extend a light rail network around the beaches and a few more areas through the city.

Also, close to Sydney for mine is a big negative! The airport is a 25 minute drive from the city, and flights to real cities like Melbourne are pretty cheap.

Newcastle is like Sydney's climate, and the good things about it's setting (coastal, swimmable water, one of the oldest settlements) without the shit parts (too many people, awful planning/infrastructure). Calling Newcastle like Sydney is like calling the Gold Coast like Fraser Island. the only similarities are the only acceptable parts of the shit place.

Yeah, Newcastle is just starting to embrace independent wine bars, craft beer pubs and cafes. It's been a slow process, that and the urban renewal through the middle of town.

Also, don't be fooled about the train station - it's a good thing they are taking it back - There are too many dangerous rail crossings through the city. I believe the plan is to have light rail use the infrastructure (though the crossings will be over/under-passed), and also extend a light rail network around the beaches and a few more areas through the city.

Dangerous level crossings are a roading problem, not a railway issue, and all that removing a railway - or any form of public transport - from the centre of a city achieves is a reduction in access, a reduction in pedestrians and shoppers, etc. I won't hold my breath about the light rail getting off the ground, though if it happens that sounds like it would be rather good. It just boggles my mind that Newcastle (and Wodonga) are pursuing this furphy of removing rail from the central city at the same time as hundreds of cities worldwide are trying, at great expense, to reverse their awful 1960s-70s public transport decisions. You just have to look at New Zealand to see how disastrous this is, from Auckland's recent monumental costs to restore central city rail access to Christchurch no longer having any suburban rail at all thanks to abandoning their inner city terminus and lacking the funds to restore it.

Of course, there's a personal interest here given I'm dependent on public transport and wouldn't mind being able to easily access central Newcastle if I get the job. :wink:

Also, close to Sydney for mine is a big negative! The airport is a 25 minute drive from the city, and flights to real cities like Melbourne are pretty cheap.

Newcastle is like Sydney's climate, and the good things about it's setting (coastal, swimmable water, one of the oldest settlements) without the shit parts (too many people, awful planning/infrastructure). Calling Newcastle like Sydney is like calling the Gold Coast like Fraser Island. the only similarities are the only acceptable parts of the shit place.

Haha, well, I wasn't going to say it...! Though close to Sydney is a positive for me in the sense that any band touring Australia will at least visit Melbourne and Sydney, so I would want to be close or in one of them. It's amazing how many smaller bands don't even bother with Brisbane, let alone anywhere else.

And as somebody who complains about Melbourne being too hot but comforts himself by looking north and saying "it could be worse", I'm not sure the climate aspect is a positive. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom