Bangkok, Thailand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, the album title is horrible at best, but the production alone makes it worth a listen. Plus, Bowie does a guest vocal on one song. Come ON.

Hey, I hardly love everything I've heard this year either. Los Campesinos (LOOK AT US, WE'RE REALLY FUCKING CLEVER, I PROMISE!) and The Hold Steady's (same old, same old, and whenever they try to mix things up, they phail epically...Boys And Girls In America wasn't that great anyway) recent records are pretty bad, and I've only wanked over a couple of albums this year.

Alright, I'll give it a shot and see what I make of it.

Oh god, The Hold Steady. Their music is even worse than their band name, which is quite the achievement. What are the couple of albums you have enjoyed from this year? Little known fact is that I am actually on the lookout for more good music that isn't metal, prog, or post-rock.

I do like that in some soccer tournaments, it's two games, with each team getting a home game, and the team with the most points at the end wins. That seems quite fair to me.

The problem with Test cricket is that because each game is five days long (and until the middle of the 20th century, timeless; the longest game ran to 9 days and was still drawn), you can't reasonably set up any kind of World Cup. The Cricket World Cup is based around one-day cricket instead, which didn't exist until the early 1970s. But there are trophies contested between different countries, like Australia and England contest the Ashes once in every two year cycle, and it's one of the most prestigous trophies going around. The International Cricket Council maintains a world ranking of all the Test teams and mandates that each country must play each other at least once within a certain amount of years.

:crack:

Oh, btw.

Geelong for epic choke of this century? I can't think of a better example in Australian sports, except from the 2001 Eels.

God, utterly unbelievable. I mean, it was pretty clear it was going to be a closer final than last year's, but they should have absolutely ripped the Hawks a new one during the second quarter. Full credit to the Hawks, they hung in there and came out guns blazing in the third quarter.

Case in point of them being fucking useless. I'd bet there are a lot of people similar to you in Melbourne right now.

But no, let's ignore that they signed a contract saying all NRL finals would be live in Melbourne.

Yeah, after that grand final, I'm in the mood for more sport. And I'm not in the mood to wait until after fucking midnight for it. Seriously, if this were a union game, I'd already be on a tram to a pub with Foxtel. God, I hope 9 gets shit for this.

Hey Ian, how about the Storm fucking rolling Cronulla? Checked the scores earlier today and had to read it twice!

Alright, I'll give it a shot and see what I make of it.

Oh god, The Hold Steady. Their music is even worse than their band name, which is quite the achievement. What are the couple of albums you have enjoyed from this year? Little known fact is that I am actually on the lookout for more good music that isn't metal, prog, or post-rock.

Hope you dig it more than Dear Science. I was certain that would be a lost cause from the start. I fucking love it, but it's just not your style at all. Good on you for at least giving it a shot.

Here are some albums I really enjoyed that I think you could possibly enjoy quite a bit:

The Dodos - Visiter (fantastic folk melodies with intriguing production and surprisingly great vocals)
Sun Kil Moon - April (beautiful music, though it takes some patience, which I know you have in spades)
M83 - Saturdays = Youth (enveloping atmosphere crossed with reverb-soaked melodies...it's still 1985 somewhere)
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (at worst, I can't imagine someone thinking this any worse than pleasant but, for me, it's a masterpiece)

Also, I love the show Roseanne. The first few seasons because they are one of the closest things to real life I've ever seen on tv, the last couple seasons, because I cherish the memories of seeing them on tv as a young child, and watching them again as an adult

:drunkennostalgia:

Hey Ian, how about the Storm fucking rolling Cronulla? Checked the scores earlier today and had to read it twice!

God that was a bad game. I fell asleep. Cronulla were terrible and Melbourne weren't much better.

I expected Cronulla to lose, but I didn't expect that.

As Jack Gibson once said, waiting for Cronulla to win a Premiership is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt.

Jackie: Roseanne, let's go see this Elvis impersonator
Roseanne: Why see an impersonator when the real thing is still out there somewhere? I saw it in the newspaper yesterday, he was in Montana making a phone call to his aunt.

Hope you dig it more than Dear Science. I was certain that would be a lost cause from the start. I fucking love it, but it's just not your style at all. Good on you for at least giving it a shot.

Here are some albums I really enjoyed that I think you could possibly enjoy quite a bit:

The Dodos - Visiter (fantastic folk melodies with intriguing production and surprisingly great vocals)
Sun Kil Moon - April (beautiful music, though it takes some patience, which I know you have in spades)
M83 - Saturdays = Youth (enveloping atmosphere crossed with reverb-soaked melodies...it's still 1985 somewhere)
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (at worst, I can't imagine someone thinking this any worse than pleasant but, for me, it's a masterpiece)

I just ... don't get the excitement over Dear Science at all. The production doesn't help; I think it all sounded a bit flat.

Oh, now I actually already have that M83 album! I just hadn't listened to it, except for Couleurs, which I knew from DI and love. I've put it on now. Inexplicable that I didn't play it as soon as I downloaded it, since I love that Dead Cities & Whatever album.

And Fleet Foxes is something I'd been thinking of looking into. Wasn't sure if it'd be worth it though, given it seemed to only be the most indietastic people pushing it. But you've sold me. Will give all those albums a shot. I was a bit disappointed when I began my best of 2008 list and it was pretty much all just metal apart from The Verve.

Nick @ Nite killed that show for me by showing like 8 episodes a night EVERY night

That repetition actually opened my eyes to how great of a show it was. I barely watched it at all until I was about 14, so I missed out on it during its original run. Now it's a treat for me, though I must say that I could do without seeing another episode for a few months.

It's funny. I don't much mind if we lose tonight. As long as the team from our side of the draw wins this competition, I won't be too disappointed.

Ah, now if Manly wins tonight, I'd much prefer the Storm to win next week.

Also, the potential Superthread locations masterlist contains Manly. I'd never even thought of it as funny until then. Same thing happened with Te Puke.

As Jack Gibson once said, waiting for Cronulla to win a Premiership is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt.

:lmao:

I just ... don't get the excitement over Dear Science at all. The production doesn't help; I think it all sounded a bit flat.

Oh, now I actually already have that M83 album! I just hadn't listened to it, except for Couleurs, which I knew from DI and love. I've put it on now. Inexplicable that I didn't play it as soon as I downloaded it, since I love that Dead Cities & Whatever album.

And Fleet Foxes is something I'd been thinking of looking into. Wasn't sure if it'd be worth it though, given it seemed to only be the most indietastic people pushing it. But you've sold me. Will give all those albums a shot. I was a bit disappointed when I began my best of 2008 list and it was pretty much all just metal apart from The Verve.

I can understand that. Cookie Mountain has wonderfully enveloping production, but I just prefer the songs on Dear Science (though there are a number of masterful moments on Cookie Mountain that are stripped, primal, and suck you in, such as "A Method").

That M83 album is so fun. I'm not an 80's music fan by any stretch, but it's a refreshingly dark take on that period that is simultaneously accessible. Now, I still haven't heard that Verve record, but I'll get on it soon. Love Is Noise wasn't brilliant, but first singles are extremely deceiving.

Definitely check out Fleet Foxes. It's one of those records that has 800 influences you could name off the top of your head, but I still haven't heard anything quite like it in this decade, or possibly ever. The whole album sounds like it was recorded in the back of a giant cave, carved out of a mountain in Tennessee. Also, I know Bonnie is a fan.

Ah, now if Manly wins tonight, I'd much prefer the Storm to win next week.

Also, the potential Superthread locations masterlist contains Manly. I'd never even thought of it as funny until then. Same thing happened with Te Puke.

:lmao:

I'm a bit sick of the Storm, their grubby tactics and sooking coach and management. I cheered for them in the last two Grand Finals and I'm glad they won the premiership last year, but it's time another deserving team won, that aren't as damn grubby.

We should also visit Cronulla-Sutherland..."The Shire".

I'm a bit sick of the Storm, their grubby tactics and sooking coach and management. I cheered for them in the last two Grand Finals and I'm glad they won the premiership last year, but it's time another deserving team won, that aren't as damn grubby.

We should also visit Cronulla-Sutherland..."The Shire".

Ah, right. See, I'd just hope they win because, well, I like the city of Melbourne so I'll go for its teams.

If we visit Cronulla, will there be a riot?

(Also, the Harold Holt mention reminded me that we must go to the Harold Holt Memorial SWIMMING COMPLEX in December on the anniversary of his disappearance. Fucking cracks me up every time I think about it.)

:ohmy: I think I can watch the game on my computer :hmm:

But then I'd feel directly responsible if they lost.

I can understand that. Cookie Mountain has wonderfully enveloping production, but I just prefer the songs on Dear Science (though there are a number of masterful moments on Cookie Mountain that are stripped, primal, and suck you in, such as "A Method").

That M83 album is so fun. I'm not an 80's music fan by any stretch, but it's a refreshingly dark take on that period that is simultaneously accessible. Now, I still haven't heard that Verve record, but I'll get on it soon. Love Is Noise wasn't brilliant, but first singles are extremely deceiving.

Definitely check out Fleet Foxes. It's one of those records that has 800 influences you could name off the top of your head, but I still haven't heard anything quite like it in this decade, or possibly ever. The whole album sounds like it was recorded in the back of a giant cave, carved out of a mountain in Tennessee. Also, I know Bonnie is a fan.

OK, I'm up to Graveyard Girl and thus far the album is fantastic. Kim & Jessie is a killer track in particular. As for The Verve, Forth is definitely worth a listen. Love Is Noise is a bit deceptive; Sit And Wonder, Columbo, and Noise Epic are nothing like it and show Nick McCabe is well and truly still alive. It's not as good an album as A Storm In Heaven or Urban Hymns, but still a great comeback effort. I expected less. And I adore the album art.

Downloading the Fleet Foxes album now. :up:

Ah, right. See, I'd just hope they win because, well, I like the city of Melbourne so I'll go for its teams.

If we visit Cronulla, will there be a riot?

(Also, the Harold Holt mention reminded me that we must go to the Harold Holt Memorial SWIMMING COMPLEX in December on the anniversary of his disappearance. Fucking cracks me up every time I think about it.)

There could be a riot, but we're more likely to don pink polo shirts and go to nightclubs.

That name has to be intentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom