Anybody here listen to hip hop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
I'm starting to buy some hip hop albums. Wondering if anyone else is a listener and fan of the genre. Someone have any suggestions, thoughts, opinions...

I'm open to stuff.

One album I just bought was Jurrassic 5's Quality Control. I think of all the hip hop and rap that I've heard (I haven't really heard a lot except some of the mainstream/ popular stuff) this album is defintely a keeper. Musically this album is fantastic and it also reminds me of old school rap. This is probably the best hip hop album that I've bought. I could listen to each track.

Any suggestions? Anybody want to give a reason why they like a specific artist or the genre itself? Please note I'm not completely ignorant of the genre, but I have only superficially glanced over the genre so I don't appreciate or know it as much.

Please don't suggest Outkast b/c they are to me the media's "it" band/ group (I'll probably buy Stankonia some day). Its just that I'd like to hear people talk/ suggest something else other then Outkast when talking about hip hop.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 03-15-2002).]

OH HELL YEAH! J5 rock a long long while. I would also suggest KRS One. Check out his album "Return of the boom bap." Blackolicious is also great, as is any Del Album. I particularly like Deltron 3030 and Del tha Funky Homospaian's "I wish my brother George was here." Anyway let me get staji in here for you. She's Miss Southern Playalistic Hip Hop.

STAJI!!!!

You are talking to the hip hop queen motha fucka. let me tell you- do or die, po pimp is pretty good. it's a little old school going into the gangsta rap mode, but i highly suggest it. I'm a big fan of Snoop, but of course he is main stream. Depending upon how hard core you want to get, I can suggest a lot of stuff. I prefer southern rap, but New York is pretty good- look at Wutang, Busta Rhymes. For free-stylin i would turn to SuperNatural. You want info on hip-hop, I got it.

Also, J-5 is awesome, as is KRS-One and Del that FUnky Homosapien. Dive in man, it's definitely worth it

------------------
Ever seen an Alice with a blossom like that? Come to think of it, did you ever see an Alice??

For a sec there I thought this board was devoid of hip hop fans... geez that would have been sad as heck.

Yeah, actually I bought Nia by Blackalicious. Still listening to it though. Just bought Nas' Illmatic cuz people always recommend it and I think its had more of an impression on me then Nia so far. Also got Common's Like Water for Chocolate just b/c of one site's ranking him the number 1 emcee of 2001 and cuz of a friend of mine's suggestion. It also helps that he's from Chicago.

smile.gif

But out of all those albums so far, J5 has really got my ear. I still need to listen to the other albums more but the music on Quality... is cool.

KRS1 I'm interested in getting later though I haven't heard a lot his stuff except for his little rap on REM's "Radio Song" and some old music videos...

Wasn't Del on the Gorrilaz album?

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 03-15-2002).]

I'd suggest Heiroglyphics... and of course Ludacris for some mainstream..

A lot of people like Jay Z too, but I'm not the biggest fan. Actually, I'd wait til March 26 I think.. and get the Jay Z/R. Kelly album, It's supposed to be pretty sweet.. You couldn't go wrong there..

Someone mentioned WuTang, I'd definitely go with them if you like 'Rap', I think they're the best 'group' of rappers out there, Theyre all pretty sweet with their lyrics..But not the most 'mainstream friendly' beats.. I always get rejected at the clubs when I request them. *SigH*

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-15-2002).]

J5.. All the way live!

Yo, man! QUALITY CONTROL is the BOMB!

Gotta checkout-->

Black Eyed Peas: Bridging the Gap
Common: One day it'll all make sense
Pharcyde: Bizarre ride to the Pharcyde
Biz Markie: Cold Chillin' (best of)
A Tribe Called Quest: Anthology
digable planets: reachin' (a new refutation of time and space)
Public Enemy: He Got Game

haha. I went in this thread planning on suggesting Outkast... otherwise, sorry I can be of no help.

Back
Top Bottom