Adelaide, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:
You're exactly right in every way, there. I haven't seen a single attempt of his to innovate the industry or even go with the state it's in. All he wants is money. It's gotten to the point now, though, that it would be difficult to get rid of him, or to get rid of Larry as another example, and though I cannot say to what extent, I'd imagine a big part of it is the potential of sacrificing friendship, as dumb as it sounds.

Phanan and I were discussing last night that the music industry's current elite and executives need to hurry up and adapt or just get left behind. Music has moved online in a big way, and despite their fearmongering, it's still alive - and in my opinion, doing better than ever. Actually, were you here for that discussion? I forget who was around.

On a different note, just look at U2's tours. As their manager, McGuinness obviously has a big say in the schedule. And you can tell he's still stuck in the mid to late eighties! Two legs of the US, with a summer run through Europe, and if you're lucky, some shows elsewhere tacked on at the end. Asia doesn't exist outside Japan.

But with the way the global economy is going, Europe is now a massively profitable market, the US$'s decline makes America less attractive than it used to be, and mainland Asia has an increasing demand for concerts.

bono_212 said:
Now that I've actually heard Passengers, I can't believe the direction U2 COULD have gone in.

The world needs more of Slug, Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence, One Minute Warning, etc.

Beach Sequence is on my next Desert Island submission, actually ...

All I know is that if U2 ends up doing a completely stadium show like the rumors are saying....

I will be very angry while I stand in the pit :lol:

In all seriousness though, if it was just stadium, I would consider not going. I don't understand how that can be an entertaining experience at all. Soooo many people, and the impossibility of having a good seat. Plus the cost of tickets. I may love U2 but it's just not worth it.

Axver said:

Phanan and I were discussing last night that the music industry's current elite and executives need to hurry up and adapt or just get left behind. Music has moved online in a big way, and despite their fearmongering, it's still alive - and in my opinion, doing better than ever. Actually, were you here for that discussion? I forget who was around.

On a different note, just look at U2's tours. As their manager, McGuinness obviously has a big say in the schedule. And you can tell he's still stuck in the mid to late eighties! Two legs of the US, with a summer run through Europe, and if you're lucky, some shows elsewhere tacked on at the end. Asia doesn't exist outside Japan.

But with the way the global economy is going, Europe is now a massively profitable market, the US$'s decline makes America less attractive than it used to be, and mainland Asia has an increasing demand for concerts.

No, I don't believe I was there - when was it?

McGuinness is stuck in the wrong parts of the mid-to-late 80s. I wouldn't have a problem if they did something like Lovetown again! I'm sure you wouldn't either and daydream about it constantly.

U2 were planning to play India in an earlier tour, right? Funny they never bothered following up on that.

bono_212 said:
All I know is that if U2 ends up doing a completely stadium show like the rumors are saying....

I will be very angry while I stand in the pit :lol:

Rumours? I haven't kept up with the recent rumour mill.

And after seeing Explosions In The Sky and Porcupine Tree in very small venues from the front row, I've no fucking idea how I'm meant to go back to arenas, let alone stadiums ...

Axver said:

Rumours? I haven't kept up with the recent rumour mill.

And after seeing Explosions In The Sky and Porcupine Tree in very small venues from the front row, I've no fucking idea how I'm meant to go back to arenas, let alone stadiums ...

I heard it from a friend who heard it from someone else :lol: that Live Nation wants to just to stadium shows, banking on U2's ability to sell out such venues.

The Sad Punk said:

No, I don't believe I was there - when was it?

It goes from here: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=5144235#post5144235

I think the most important post is: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=5144275#post5144275

McGuinness is stuck in the wrong parts of the mid-to-late 80s. I wouldn't have a problem if they did something like Lovetown again! I'm sure you wouldn't either and daydream about it constantly.

U2 were planning to play India in an earlier tour, right? Funny they never bothered following up on that.

:lol: True, a Lovetown would be nice. But now ... every tour since ZooTV has followed pretty much the same template. It's bloody irritating!

And yeah, India was originally going to feature on War. They were going to come to India, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. But they were worn out (and fairly enough; their tour schedule was rough then) and only did Japan, with New Zealand and Australia opening the UF Tour and India being forever forgotten.

:hyper: two more grades in, History of Broadcasting - A, Anthropology B (which is fine by me considering I got a D on the final in that class :yikes: )

bono_212 said:

I heard it from a friend who heard it from someone else :lol: that Live Nation wants to just to stadium shows, banking on U2's ability to sell out such venues.

:lol: Really though, U2 does need to return to playing stadiums in the US again, at least in big markets like LA, NYC, Boston, Chicago, and such. It would save a hell of a lot of time.

And stadium shows if you get nice and close really aren't any worse than arena shows.

Axver said:

:lol: Really though, U2 does need to return to playing stadiums in the US again, at least in big markets like LA, NYC, Boston, Chicago, and such. It would save a hell of a lot of time.

And stadium shows if you get nice and close really aren't any worse than arena shows.

Let me put it to you this way Axver.

I am 155 CM tall. Stadium shows are not good for my health

bono_212 said:

Let me put it to you this way Axver.

I am 155 CM tall. Stadium shows are not good for my health

Actually, I only know height in feet! :lol:

I'm 5'6-7" and nearly legally blind. I'm fucked even in tiny venues if I'm not front row or bloody near it!

But I did seven U2 stadium shows and they fucking rocked.

See, here I'm thinking you were all metricy and it would be nice of me to convert

:madspit:

I'm 5'1"

bono_212 said:
See, here I'm thinking you were all metricy and it would be nice of me to convert

:madspit:

I'm 5'1"

My mother measured me in feet and inches when I was little so I know that best. And I understand weight best in stone. We just had old tape measures and scales! :lol:

My mother's 5'2.5" and she didn't have too much trouble seeing a U2 stadium show in Brisbane.

:hmm: perhaps there's hope for me yet.

I think I'm just afraid of all the people that will be there. I have a real problem with crowds. Usually I can get over it at concerts because I'm so excited to be there. But the last two concerts I was at, the first being a festivalesque show that I had seats at, the second being Springsteen where i got into the fairly spread out pit, have made me forget how squashed in I was in the U2 GA

phanan said:

You were here when I left, and you're here when I'm back.

Were you up all night?

Yes.

I'm losing my ability to focus, so I've been using the thread as a pick me up. It's this final exam, I'm so nervous about it. Mostly I'm scared now because I feel prepared. I don't like that feeling.

bono_212 said:
:hmm: perhaps there's hope for me yet.

I think I'm just afraid of all the people that will be there. I have a real problem with crowds. Usually I can get over it at concerts because I'm so excited to be there. But the last two concerts I was at, the first being a festivalesque show that I had seats at, the second being Springsteen where i got into the fairly spread out pit, have made me forget how squashed in I was in the U2 GA

If you get close enough, I think you should be alright. I hate crowds too, and I'm nervous about every gig I go to, but I found U2 audiences tend to be pretty peaceful really. That said, I never tried to get close to Bono. That looked rather squashy.

KhanadaRhodes said:
KhanadaRhodes 164
bono_212 137
Axver 118
Either Axver is suffering from severe RSI after the last fifty+ postwhoring threads and can't actually type, or he's actually been doing uni work... :ohmy:

:wink:

Axver said:
If you get close enough, I think you should be alright. I hate crowds too, and I'm nervous about every gig I go to, but I found U2 audiences tend to be pretty peaceful really. That said, I never tried to get close to Bono. That looked rather squashy.
Bono's like a crowd magnet. That having been said, I don't remember being uncomfortably squashed, but I was never right at the front... it was probably much worse there than it was near the B-stages.

bono_212 said:
Ali, inquiring minds want to know

Is it Alisaura Rex

or

Ali's Aura?
I saw you asking that at the start of the thread... the dinosaur theory is correct :D :nerd:

and if you want to get really nerdy, it's "Alisaura" rather than "Alisaurus" because the -us is a masculine ending, and -a is feminine.... and the "rex" means "king", incidentally. :wink:

There are some real dinosaur names with the feminine ending... Maiasaura ("good mother lizard") and Lleaellynasaura (probably spelled it wrong, but named after the daughter of the palaeontologists who described the species for the first time), off the top of my head....

Yes, I'm a big science geek. :nerd:

I never even considered people might read it as Ali's Aura! :lol:

Last edited:
Alisaura said:

Bono's like a crowd magnet. That having been said, I don't remember being uncomfortably squashed, but I was never right at the front... it was probably much worse there than it was near the B-stages.

I don't really remember in the stadiums that well, but in Boston, I remember looking down the front row at one point when Bono was right down at the very edge of the stage, and there looked like one hell of a crush.

I'd be pretty certain that would be the same in any venue.

Alisaura said:

Either Axver is suffering from severe RSI after the last fifty+ postwhoring threads and can't actually type, or he's actually been doing uni work... :ohmy:

:wink:

:lol:

YOU'VE BEEN THE ONE MAKING ME WORK! :madspit:

(Well, at least a couple of evenings ago anyway ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom