(04-25-2003) U2 Planning To Release New Album In 2004 - LAUNCH *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://launch.yahoo.com/

U2 Planning To Release New Album In 2004

U2 are working on a new album in Ireland, which they hope to finish recording this year. Frontman Bono recently described the band's new songs in the New York Times as "very visceral...very direct."

Guitarist the Edge says he's looking forward to experimenting with new guitar sounds in the studio. "My guitar playing has been fairly minimalist over the years; I like to try and make as few notes as I can get away with," he explains, adding that now he wants to "create as big an effect as I can, to really explore what guitar could be, and really push the boundaries of what guitar in a rock 'n' roll band can sound like."

For the new album, U2 have chosen producer Chris Thomas, who began his career working at EMI's Abbey Road studios with Beatles producer George Martin. Thomas played keyboards on the Beatles' White Album and mixed Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon; his other production credits include Pete Townshend's Empty Glass, the Pretenders' self-titled debut, INXS's Listen Like Thieves, Roxy Music's Stranded, the Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks, and individual tracks for Paul McCartney and Elton John.

U2's as-of-yet untitled follow-up to the Grammy-winning All That You Can't Leave Behind should be released in the first half of 2004.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

We can wait this long...right? :sexywink:

So, early 2004, that means a single or radio airplay a few months in advance and what...bootlegs and MP3's out by December?

Oh! And Chris Thomas worked with Pete Townshend too! I didn't know that...now I'm even more :hyper:

:wave:

~J

Well, I hope they don't change the date to a later time(like in December 2004) Because that would be really crummy.

There's light at the end of the tunnel!

:hyper::dance::hyper::dance::hyper:

Great news before going to work!!

Last edited:
This is actually disappointing news if it is true. I am shocked people here find this news exciting?!?! It will be 3 years on October 31, 2003 since ATYCLB was released. I'd expect the album to be put out at least by then! Any delay beyond that is a disapointment.

Larry mentioned in September 2000 that the band had recorded nearly 2 albums worth of material, and wanted to go back right into the studio after the tour to put out the other album QUICKLY! Initially I thought that meant summer 2002. But the band extended its tour by a few months to December 2001. Still, you would think towards the end of 2002.

I hope it is not 2004. Since ZOOROPA, they have averaged 3 years and 8 months between studio releases. They should put this album out in October 2003, not July 2004. If its really that "RAW" put it out! No one should spend more than 1 year in the studio, writing and recording! Give it your best shot and put it out!

STING2 said:
This is actually disappointing news if it is true. I am shocked people here find this news exciting?!?! It will be 3 years on October 31, 2003 since ATYCLB was released. I'd expect the album to be put out at least by then! Any delay beyond that is a disapointment.

Larry mentioned in September 2000 that the band had recorded nearly 2 albums worth of material, and wanted to go back right into the studio after the tour to put out the other album QUICKLY! Initially I thought that meant summer 2002. But the band extended its tour by a few months to December 2001. Still, you would think towards the end of 2002.

I hope it is not 2004. Since ZOOROPA, they have averaged 3 years and 8 months between studio releases. They should put this album out in October 2003, not July 2004. If its really that "RAW" put it out! No one should spend more than 1 year in the studio, writing and recording! Give it your best shot and put it out!

wow, i dont think the two of us have ever ageed on anything as strongly as we do on this!

this is rediculous actually, considering its supposed to be "raw."

Ehhh, I'm still taking a wait and see on the new album, and not putting all stock into this article because there doesn't seem to be much new original reporting in it. And the band, when asked, has been non-commital on a release date and keep going back and forth bet. late '03 and 1st half '04. What we need are more on the scene reports...<g> I'm just going to keep watch on their studio progress, if they're done by end of July then it'll most likely be this year, if not then it'll be 2004. Doesn't sound like they'll be away from Dublin much 'cept for the last week of May, so they could finish in 3 months given all the work they've done already. I hope. :cool:

STING2 said:

I hope it is not 2004. Since ZOOROPA, they have averaged 3 years and 8 months between studio releases. They should put this album out in October 2003, not July 2004...No one should spend more than 1 year in the studio, writing and recording! Give it your best shot and put it out!

The disappointment is what you've written:yes:
1. I think, no one should use the word "should" speaking of U2. They are entitled to do nothing if they please.
2. Your attempts to calculate, to average...it's all about music not stock indeces :wave: I don't want it to be an AVERAGE album.
I'm ready to wait for a unique album!

what you said

ALEXRUS said:

The disappointment is what you've written:yes:
1. I think, no one should use the word "should" speaking of U2. They are entitled to do nothing if they please.
2. Your attempts to calculate, to average...it's all about music not stock indeces :wave: I don't want it to be an AVERAGE album.
I'm ready to wait for a unique album!

I agree
I am a bit tired of hearing fans talking about the whole album/ tour thingy like the guys don't have any other meaning and interest in life. I am more than happy that they even still are doing stuff and don't stop (yet) because they feel too old or so.
I think it is ridiculous to -after a tour- expect them to head for the studio work high pressure on a new album and tour again, and then start over again
What band of their state does that? Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Rolling Stones.. all of them pop out an album/ tour every couple of years and enjoy private live (or whaterver) the time inbetween
That's why they are good, they do music when they have a reason/ inspiration and the strong will.. not because they have to. They spent as much time on an album as much they think is needed there. It's the boyband's and newcommer's job to produce music like machines and entertain the public constantly.
U2 doesn't need to do so anymore, and lucky we are, since we can expect them not to burn out that soon ;) And their music shows, I think. That's what makes their music great, it's not made to fullfll deadlines/ contracts/ stay public...

doyoufeelloved said:
Well, I hope they don't change the date to a later time(like in December 2004) Because that would be really crummy.

I've said this before: U2 is the Microsoft of music. Whatever the initial release date is, add 18 to 24 months and you're set.

Pop was at least a year late. ATYCLB was also about a year late, and I certainly recall them talking about releasing this album last year (back around the superbowl they said that). Then it was sometime this year....now it's probably march or april of next year.

Looks like no tour till next summer at best, and if that's the case, they may do Europe first, just cause the weather will be nice.

Kevin

No they will, but it'll be crap. Tracks 6 and 7 will be among the very worst they've recorded, and the cover art will be awful. To top it off, track 1 (the lead-off single) will feature some horrific lyrics (among Bono's worst). :sexywink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom