(01-12-2004) U2 Frontman's Super Bowl AIDS Spotlight Scrapped -- Launch * - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News > U2 News Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2004, 02:43 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Bono needs to go on another Heartland tour

Angela

Old 01-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

They've always been a politically minded rock band. Bono's been involved in charity work for about 20 years now, so according to what you've said, they should've started losing you in 1984.

This is nothing new.

Angela
That was pretty much what i was thinking. Way back when U2 was a "rock band" I think they had some political songs. Sunday Bloody Sunday. Like a Song, MLK just to name a few. But maybe I missed the point of those songs and it was just pure rock and entertainment. Thye should just write meaningless songs. We'd be better off. lol

Old 01-30-2004, 10:51 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:38 AM
from MTV.com (MTV is producing the super bowl halftime show)

[img]The halftime show will commence with a short Choose or Lose film. Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, John Elway, Toby Keith, Chris Rock, Tony Hawk, Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Jennifer Lopez and Muhammad Ali have all lent their star power to the clip, which focuses on the freedom to make choices. The celebrities will be commenting on empowerment, involvement and voting.

MTV reps also hinted there might be a surprise guest joining their already announced lineup.[/img]

note... the announced lineup is janet jackson, p.diddy, nelly & kid rock
Old 01-30-2004, 11:15 AM   #24
The Fly

wonder who the surprise person is? the thought of watching anyone else on there is not good - so do I keep watching at halftime on the off chance that I'll like the surprise? hmmm
Old 01-30-2004, 11:32 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 02-02-2004, 05:07 PM   #26
New Yorker

Quote:
NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the News, "We simply decided that we were going to have our halftime show, and we were going to deliver, as we do annually, an extremely entertaining halftime show...we don't believe it's appropriate to focus on a single issue."

Well instead of focusing on a single issue now all the focus is on a single boob...... or a couple of boobs if you add Timberlake.

I don't think MTV should take all the heat, the NFL are grown ups, they know exactly what kind of shows these people put on. They already knew that by having Bono the show would have had some class and been done with taste, but they chose to go another route.

I think they should have U2 play the super bowl every year!
Old 02-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by EPandAmerica
Well instead of focusing on a single issue now all the focus is on a single boob...... or a couple of boobs if you add Timberlake.
Too true!

Quote:
Originally posted by EPandAmerica
I don't think MTV should take all the heat, the NFL are grown ups, they know exactly what kind of shows these people put on. They already knew that by having Bono the show would have had some class and been done with taste, but they chose to go another route.
Nah, next year, Bono will rip The Edge's shirt open...

All kidding aside, the NFL never learns. Everyone I've spoken to, online and in real life, agrees that U2's 2002 Halftime Show is the best Halftime Show ever. It was one group doing what they do best, and behaving with grace and style.

However, the NFL insists on following their tired old formula: take one artist from Genre A, one from Genre B, one from Genre C and combine. And it never works. At best, you get a cacophony of clashing styles. At worst, you get a tacky display by obnoxious spoiled brats trying to push the envelope, like what happened last Sunday.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:38 PM   #28
Refugee

Location: The stars at night are big and bright *clap, clap, clap, clap*
The NFL is full of proud Good Ol' Boys, and they will never admit that they were wrong. Trust me...they are not stupid. I think that they realize now by throwing money around isn't always the best option. Quality vs Quanity is something that I'm sure will be on their agenda for next year's halftime performance.

Even the commercials were awful this year. There were hardly any funny ones. I know that the NFL doesn't have any control over them, but it's just ironic.

This was the worst Super Bowl ever, minus the actual game of course!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:25 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I guess the thing that confuses me is that CBS didn't want ads or performances that dealt with serious issues...but yet I distinctly remember seeing those "Truth" ads showing during the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those deal with a serious issue? .

Angela