Through The Sleet And Driving Snow Part 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
I've been having difficulties with this story. Trying to figure out where it's going and such, but I wrote a bit more last night and I think I'll just post what I have as a big chapter. You girls can tell me whether I should continue, or let it end. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Fiction, fiction. Never happened. Don't know the band. No profit made. All for fun. A few swears in here again.

---
"Is your brain working well enough for you to drive now?" Bono asked mischievously. It'd grown dark but she was pretty sure his eyebrows were raised at the moment.

"I'm sure I can handle it. Besides you and Edge are a bit full of the devil, I'm sure the Guinness had something to do with that."

"I call shotgun!" shouted Bono.

Edge sighed and reluctantly crawled into the backseat.

"Boys, behave will you, please. I'll need to concentrate on the way home, just in case any more critters make their presence known." She turned to Adam "Don't follow too close, in case I have to make a quick stop like you did."

"Yes Ma'am" And he and Larry got into their rented red truck. Serena bet that Al Gore would never hear the tale of Bono driving a gas guzzling truck during a road trip. Well, as long as he never got Bono drunk that was.

Serena shifted her seat ahead slightly, giving Edge more leg room as she had noticed B had pushed his seat as far back as it would go.

All was quiet in the car as Serena pulled out onto the road. It was still slick, the lights reflected off the bit of ice and snow. She kept to her 'safe' speed of 60km/h. She could see Bono in her peripheral vision, with those trademark shades still on. Why the heck did he have sunglasses on at night? She turned on the stereo and flicked to a track on a cd.

"I think you might like this." she said to Bono.

Slowly, the sounds came through the speakers and Edge let out a loud guffaw when he heard what song it was

'I wear my sunglasses at night... so I can so I can.'

"So my question to you Bono, is why the hell do you where your sunglasses at night? Am I missing something?" She queried.

Bono was silent for a few moments. For a minute, she thought she had offended him which worried her. She'd only meant it playfully, it seemed such a pity to cover up those lovely eyes all the time.

"He's got allergies. EYE allergies." Edge said, and she had a feeling he was gesturing at his own eyes with his finger.

"He's allergic to his eyes?" she chuckled "That must be a real pain in the arse."

She heard him laugh. Whew, thank goodness. He was probably playing around with her as well. Seeing how tense he could make her. She thought back to what he did at the restaurant. Holy guacamole, that was something else. The fact that she remembered it came almost as a shock to her, it'd been such a jolt.. she thought she'd have to get oxygen from the local ambulance! Yet, there was something there in that kiss. Something other than just him trying to win the chance to pay the check. Of course it had crossed her mind just how he'd remained single all those years. She sighed subconsciously. No. She probably imagined it, but there was that added pressure.. and the nibble on her lip he'd given her just before he had stepped back. A look of total satisfaction, and still there.. she was sure she could see want. Almost a hunger. Loneliness. Though she had to admit, she was so delirious after the point, lord knows what she saw.

"Serena! Serena! I thought you were going to pay attention to the road" and Bono grabbed the wheel just before they hit the roadside snowbank.

"Oh, yes, yes.. sorry about that. I'm fine, sorry." and she began the task at hand of driving home and trying not to think of that kiss. This was gonna be hard.

"I get allergic to some stuff in my eyes." Bono stated after Serena had snapped out of her dreamland. "That's why I wear them in the day. I don't know why I wear them at night" and he turned down the stereo. "I think I just forget they're there you know. They've become a sort of second skin almost."

Edge had been quiet for awhile, but he couldn't help but add a snarky comment. "He wears them at night because he thinks it makes him look seeeexxxy... dontcha Bono, think they look seeexxxy on ya. That's the real reason Sabrina."

"Just how many Guinness did you have in there anyway?" Bono asked. Serena herself didn't think she saw him order many but she had been busy keeping up with the lads conversation that she didn't really take notice. Bono had put the dome light on and turned to look at Edge, then he shut the light off.

"He's had at least four, maybe five. His nose is red. Sure sign of a drunk Edge that."

"Sabrina.. I gots to say... you should totally hook up with..."

"Edge, will you stuff it. I'm sorry Serena, he gets extra talkative after he's had a few." Edge sulked for a few moments and then leaned back in his seat letting out a long, drunken sigh.

Serena turned off on her little rural road. Hardly any traffic tonight and no sign of the plow. Why did it seem they were never around when the roads needed looking after? Well, she guessed a game of crib was probably more fun than scrapping the crap off the roads. It was snowing lightly, just flurries she hoped. In her rear view, she could just make out the red truck. Adam was keeping more than his fair share of distance. Even though he hadn't admitted it, she thought that he too had been startled by the sudden crossing of that moose. From what Larry said, it sounded pretty damn scary and she hoped they wouldn't have anymore chance encounters with the majestic creatures.

"Just about five minutes now. You know, I always loved watching the snow come towards the windshield when I was a kid. I always found it mesmerizing. Now that I drive though, it's kind of worse.. because it sort of gives you.. vertigo." She smiled and she heard him move and could tell he was looking at her.

"Hello, hello" he whispered. Almost so low that she couldn't hear. Her heart skipped a beat. He was still staring at her, she was trying to hard to focus on the road and at the same time, focus on remembering to breathe. He was probably checking to see if he was getting a reaction out of her and she was pretty certain that he could tell.

"I was thinking"

"Yes?" she replied. Trying not to sound too anxious. Just what was he going to ask here? Seriously Serena, put up a fight. Don't be easy, no matter how long it's been. Be strong. Do not melt completely. Not yet. That bump on your head is giving you some strange feelings. Just breathe and you'll be okay. Kapeesh?!

"You should come up with us tomorrow, to meet the event planner."

"Oh, well, I'd likely only get in the way." she replied.

"Pffft. Don't be silly. You can be so silly. I want you to see the look on his face when we A] Show up as the whole band and not just Paul McG and B] Tell him that we've decided to play here. And, you know, you can show us how to get there and stuff. Besides, it'd be nice to have a human of the woman variety around."

"Well, I'll say yes, but do be sure you ask Adam and Larry. I wouldn't want to tick them off or anything." She said as she finally parked the car in her yard.

Bono chuckled. "Are you.. you are aren't you?"

"What?"

"You're scared of Larry! Hahaha."

She bristled "I am not.. okay, maybe a little."

"He's all bark and no bite, pay no mind and I'm sure they won't mind you tagging along. Now, what say you help me get Edge to the house." Bono pushed his seat forward and went to grab Edge's arm. "Come on mate, time to get out."

Edge's eyes were twinkling and she could see now, his red nose very much apparent in the glare of the dome light.

"I can get meself out, ye don't need to treat me like an invalid." Edge yanked his arm away and made to get out of the car. Except he forgot to duck and cracked his head on the door frame.

"Ow, feck!" and he fell out of the car into the snow. "Oh that really feckin' stings. Ow."

"Well Edge, now you and Serena have matching head bumps! Congrats!"

"I'll fetch the frozen peas" laughed Serena.

Bono picked up his friend from the snow and Serena stayed close by to make sure Edge didn't have anymore spills. She heard the crunching of truck tires at the arrival of Ads and Larry. She had hoped they'd leave the headlights on long enough for her to get the door unlocked but that was not to be.

"Holy feck, is it ever dark out here!" Larry said after they'd gotten out of the truck.

Serena was fiddling with her keys, trying to get the door open. In behind her, she heard a flurry of hurried footsteps.. and then the sound of someone perhaps gathering snow, and then the sound of the footsteps returning behind her.. no..

"Ah for fecks sake!" screamed Adam. "That is really feckin' cold. What the hell was that for?"

It was silent for a second and then a giggling Larry responded.

"That's for talking to the feckin' birds!"

Serena had finally gotten the door open and she walked in and turned on the outside light. Now she could see poor Adam, snow all in his hair and down his neck and Larry standing there trying very hard not to burst out into total hysterics! They could be just like kids, these guys. She wished that they could stay forever, they were truly amusing. She didn't want to think about when they finally left and she went back to her normal, boring routine. She'd worry about that later, right now, poor Edge needed an aspirin badly.

After getting Edge sorted with aspirin and his own bag of ice, she began the task of figuring out who would sleep where. Larry had already opted for the single bed in the spare room. The hideabed would fit two of the lads. But she wasn't sure if they'd want to sleep in the same bed. One could take the other couch if needed. Then one could take the cot. If she could find it. She offered to give her bed to one of them, and she'd sleep in the cot but they'd have nothing of it. Well, Bono, he wiggled his eyebrows and then said that they could share. Oh yes, yes they could. But that would be far too easy. So he went for the cot, Edge would take the hideabed and Adam decided on the couch.

The remainder of the evening Larry spent flipping through channels on the television. Edge, looking a bit better, was doing the crossword puzzle in the paper and Bono had her guitar on his knee and paper close by. Every half hour or so, he'd write out a sentence or two and then sit there waiting for more to come. Serena was sitting out in the dining room, trying to hide an obvious yawn. She was knackered. What a day. The stuff dreams were made of. Well, apart from the getting clocked in the head part. Which she had to admit, was bugging her a bit now as the evening wore on. She had to take another painkiller. She figured it was just likely from all the events of the day, including the ice chunk. A bit overwhelming for the average rural New Brunswicker, for sure. If it still was aching tomorrow, she figured she'd head to the doctor. For now, she was more than content to wait for the pill to take effect while soaking in the whole experience. Larry laughing at a Canadian sitcom, Edge randomly asking queries regarding words in his puzzle, to which Adam would reply. And then there was Bono. Oh sweet, dear Bono. He was plinking away on that old guitar. Soft chords lightly strummed by his thick fingers. She focused on the sounds, absorbed them and the pain ebbed away. Every once in awhile, there would be a low hum from his gorgeous voice as he attempted whatever he had scribbled down. She was mesmerized just by listening to his whispered bursts of creativity. She was still thinking about that kiss. She was daydreaming at the kitchen table, going over that moment. She found herself smiling, but still there was that lonely person inside her that wanted more. Wanted something real. But of course it would be ridiculous to think that would happen here. He was a huge rock star and she was a lowly summer hiking guide. The pieces didn't fit, but at least she could daydream that they might someday.

--

It was morning. The sun was just beginning to creep above the mountain. Serena slowly opened her eyes and was relieved that her head wasn't hurting at all. The house was silent, well, almost silent. Either Adam or Edge were snoring up a storm in the living room. Her cat was purring at her feet. She wondered what Bono dreamed about. She certainly had quite the dream last night, but it wasn't one that she was going to share with anyone. She laughed silently. Just what had Bono done to her with that kiss? Well, at least her dreams would likely be far more interesting from here on out! There was a light knock on the door.

"You awake?" Bono.

"Yes, come in if you'd like"

He opened the door quietly, entered the room and shut it again. He had on a pair of loose fitting navy pajama pants and an old black t-shirt that looked like it had seen better days. There were no sunglasses, she could finally see those eyes. So lovely, so welcoming. Gentle and caring.

"Did you sleep?" she asked

"Yes, very well actually. That's quite the comfortable cot you have there. Scoot over." His statement took her by surprise.

"What?"

"Scoot over, I'm freezing!"

Serena moved over as far as she could and Bono slipped in beside her. He pulled the blanket up to his chin and put his arm behind her head. She didn't protest. Oh course she didn't protest. Who would protest to watching the sun rise with Bono? He smelled good. Oh yes he did. Serena was having some difficulty pretending she wasn't affected by his being so close. It felt like her heartrate had just quadrupled!

"So" he said softly "How's your head?"

"Still attached to my body" she joked.

He turned his face to look at her.

"I saw you last night, I know you think I didn't. But I saw you wincing at the table. I know it was bothering you. Maybe you should go to the hospital or something" and his hand was now running through strands of her hair, slowly.

"I'm okay, really. I didn't wake up during the night and no pain so far this morning." She tapped on the wooden frame of her bed. "Knock on wood that is."

He stared at her with those eyes. My they could be quite intense when they wanted to be.

She sighed. "Look, if it starts up again I'll pop into the clinic when we're in town. Fair enough?"

His mouth curved into a small smile and he placed a tiny peck on her forehead. He looked back to the sun, which was now beaming slightly across the room. Lighting his face in an amber glow. She wished she was bold then. She wished she had the nerve to simply kiss him right there in the morning sun. But she didn't. Yet she didn't feel let down. This was more than she could have ever hoped for.

"We'd best get the rest of the lads up, we're supposed to meet that fella at 11."

-

Of course, the guys face was priceless at the sight of the four men who stood before him. Mr.Cochrane, though he insisted they call him Dan. He had them sit down and before he had a chance to start on the spiel about why they should play Magnetic Hill, Bono said that they'd do it. Dan, the event planner adorned in dress pants with a blue sports jacket and questionable green tie, stood there for a second like a deer in the headlights a second before slowly repeating what he'd just heard.

"You'll.. do.. it?"

"Yep" said Bono

"Don't you want to hear about the venue?"

"Already have."

Dan, the event planner looked confused. Bono pointed to the woman sitting to the left.

"She told us about it. Can cars really be pulled up that hill with their engines off? Something else that."

Dan nodded slowly.

"Oh.. kay. Right then." he moved towards the men with an outstretched hand. "We're on!"

Serena was smiling widely now. Even though she had now spent time with her favourite band she had yet been to see them live. To see them in her own province would be incredible, yet another daydream come true.
Bono was looking at her and then back at Mr.Cochrane. Bono whispered something in the mans ear to which Dan nodded, looking briefly in her direction and then writing down something. Hmm, what was that all about she wondered.

"Contact Principle to set up the date" Edge said. Adam and Larry were pretty much quiet, simply letting Bono take charge.

"Oh I will, thank you. So wonderful to meet you fellows. Did you want to see the grounds? They're under a bit of snow right now but still, I'd be more than happy to show you."

"That's quite alright, Dan. We've our own little tour guide right here" Bono winked at Serena.

Mr.Event Planner addressed Serena now. " I don't know how you sparked their interest here, but I am more than grateful" he shook her hand. Then moved amongst the others once more making to shake all their hands, including mostly silent Larry and Adam.

"We're looking forward to it" said Adam.

"Yes, should be.. fun!" replied Larry.

Handshakes all around and then they left. Dan told them that the media would only be informed when the date was set to which the lads agreed to as fair, with them even going so far as to say if there was enough interest they would do a second show. Outside city hall, they all gathered in a circle. Adam marveling at the ginormous snowbanks.

"It's amazing that. All that came from the sky."

"It's only amazing when you don't have to shovel it" said Serena.

"You can say that again" Larry said.

"So, what's the plan now."

Bono looked a bit shifty now and she could tell in just his eyes what was next. They were leaving. Yes, she was sure of it. She tried as hard as she could to put on a brave face but inside, her heart was secretly aching. Of course, she knew they'd go back eventually but this time had passed so quickly.

"You've got to go." Serena stated simply.

Edge nodded.

"Yea, we've time booked at the studio. Gonna start putting the pieces together, get the next album moving. Well that's the plan anyway. It may wind up we spend a month in there making paper crafts. Who knows?"

Serena giggled.

"Well, I can guide you to the airport if you'd like."

"That'd be great, Serena, thank you." Bono replied. "Edge, if you don't mind, could you squeeze in with Larry and Adam. I'd like to have a word with our host."

Edge sighed and then nodded, hugging Serena before jumping into the truck. Successive hugs followed from Adam and Larry. Bono opened her door for her, she bowed and did a rather fake curtsy and got into the car. Bono skipped around the front and got in the passenger side.

"Airport, James!" he yelled.

"Yes sir!"

Serena pulled out onto the main Moncton drag. They were both quiet for a few minutes. Bono was fiddling with the zipper on his coat. Finally, they went to speak. At the exact same time.

"Serena, I"

"Bono..."

Then they both laughed.

"You go first" he said.

"No, you please. Trust me, I'd rather listen to you talk then listen to myself. Go on, then." she waited patiently at a red light. Big blue sky in a maritime city landscape. A beautiful day indeed. So why did she feel the clouds at the thought of him leaving. Well, who wouldn't? Maybe it was just a fangirl response. Though she'd never had a fangirl response anytime, really. She felt she was making friends here and good friends were hard to find. No doubt they'd try and keep in touch, but then he'd likely get caught up in the commotion again and forget about her. Well, so much for cheering herself up!

"You like listening to my voice, do you?" Macphisto returned for a brief second.

"Mmmhmm.. air.. port. Okay, almost there. So what's on your mind Mr.Bonophistofly?"

He let out a deep, long breath. "Well, I have to thank you firstly for your hospitality."

"The least I could do since you helped revive me"

"And for driving us around and feeding us."

"Not a problem in the least."

"But, well, I'm sure you've noticed this too... but we really quite like you. I know we haven't been here very long, but you've been kind and funny. I really hope that you'll keep in touch and who knows..." he stopped for a second as she pulled up to a kiosk taking a parking stub from a rusty old machine. She threw the stub on the dash.

"Why is it this parking lot is always full. People just leave their cars here for eternity and don't think about us 'ol passers through." Serena grumbled as she searched for two parking spaces. Adam was doing a better job at keeping up with her this time. She eventually found what she was looking for and parked. Adam pulled up beside her. Bono rolled down his window and told them to go in without him, that he'd be there in a few minutes.

"Have to give the keys to this truck to the rent-a-dudes here anyway" said Larry. They gathered their packs and Serena watched them enter the airport through her rearview mirror.

There was a heavy silence for a moment or two, she could almost hear the gears in his head working as he tried to figure out what he was going to say next. She was curious and anxious at the same time. What was he going to say?

"Serena."

She turned to face him.

"Yes?"

He lifted his gaze to hers. Beautiful eyes that matched that days sky searched her own. There was no Macphisto, no fly, no little twists of humour tugging at the corners of his mouth. He simply stared at her, as if afraid to speak. She reached her hand over to his and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Bono, what is it?"

Her heart was beating in her throat, and had it not been for reality, she could have sworn it was leaping out of her chest like it would in a cartoon. This could not be happening to her, could it?

"Feck.. I don't know how to.. oh hell" He leaned over and Serena watched as his lips grew closer and closer. It could.

This time there were no playful antics. She gasped as his mouth covered hers and then relaxed. She'd never been kissed like this before. She could feel his tongue against her own. She could feel his hand on her cheek, sending waves of fire through her skin. His nose pressed against hers, his breath. Everything. She was in heaven she decided. He pulled back, but not too far. His lips were still inches from hers. Again, his eyes searched hers and when he found what he was looking for there, he smiled.

"I'm glad you thought of that. I couldn't figure out how to tell you either." she whispered.

"I figured. Not to say I knew. I was hoping you were picking up on the feeling too." He nuzzled her nose with his causing waves of goosebumps to rush through her body. She shivered slightly.

"Get out the car"

"Why?" she said, not wanting to leave the blissful heaven she was in.

"Because I want to give you a proper hug, silly."

She did as she was told and met him in behind the car. He gathered her small hands in his chunky ones and then enveloped her in the warmest hug she'd ever felt.

"I'll come back for you." he whispered and when he pulled back to look at her, he noticed a single tear falling down her cheek. " Hey, sweetheart, come on now. It's alright."

She tried to blink the tears away, feeling slightly embarrassed that she'd let them out in the first place, but they just seemed to flow now. It was one of those impossible moments. One that you dreamed of all your life, ,that you never thought would happen and in the small chance that it did, you never wanted it to end. He wiped away the now stream of tears with his thick, short fingers.

"Look at me darling, please. I will be back for you. I promise."

"Soon?" she whispered.

"Sooner than you'd think. You'd best not blink, because that's how fast I'll be in your face again." He hugged her once more and then took a step back. In the background, Serena could make out motions in the corner of her eye. She turned and it was Larry. He was looking at Bono and pointing towards his watch, tapping his toe all the while. Serena couldn't help but smile a little.

"You'd better go then, or scary Larry is going to have a fit" she said.

Bono laughed.

"Let him have one then. Get it out of his system before I'm stuck on a plane with him for the next five hours."

"Have a safe trip, Bono" and she gave him a shy peck on the cheek.

"Don't forget to read the message I wrote in your book, that's important." He winked and then reached into the inside pocket of his jacket and handed her an envelope. "This, you can't open until after you've read the message. Okay?"

She held the envelope up towards the sun, to see if she could catch a peek and he playfully scowled at her.

"Yes sir, not until after I've read the message sir. Right."

"Be careful driving home, and do me a favour. Head to the clinic and have your head checked out. Just in case."

"Are you saying I have a faulty head?"

"Tell them Dr.Bono sent you. They'll take you right in."

They walked toward the doors where Larry was still waiting.

"Will you feckin' hurry up? The pilots going to take off without you."

Bono looked from Larry to Serena.

"I wouldn't mind that." giggled Serena.

She walked with them to their gate, where farewells were exchanged once again and hugs were doled out like party favours. Bono once again embraced her and then gathered his suitcase from Larry. She watched him from the window board the plane, and as it taxied off the runaway and disappeared into the afternoon sky. She stood for quite awhile after they'd left, still staring at the sky. She was afraid to move, afraid that any second she would burst into tears. But he said he'd come back. He promised. She let out a long sigh and pried herself away from the huge, plate glass windows and back out to the car. She put in a cd, U2 of course, Walk On and cranked it as she pulled out onto the highway to head home again, alone.

--

This story is so good,yes please continue with it,would like to know what Bono wrote. I do hope Bono does come back for Serena,that part was sad when he had to leave.

Oh My God! My vote is that you should definitely NOT let this end... not yet! You have to tell us what was in the note, and what Bono wrote in the book.

You can't let them not get together.....

Get writing, girl! :yes:

Carrie

Back
Top Bottom