This story makes me happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

promenade

The Fly
i was just reading over my FIVE posts that i've written during three years of lurking, and i just wanted to repost this thing i wrote about "how you became a u2 fan" cause the story does make me happy. ..

I was 18 in 1984 and I had just started college. A girl on my floor was a fan from way back and she got me hooked on Boy and I had a total crush on Larry. She had met them several times and she said when they came around for the Unforgettable Fire tour she'd introduce me to them and that Larry and I would make a "perfect match" (I know this sounds psycho, but we were very young and stupid!!) Anyway, we went to see them at the Nassau Colleseum in April of 1985 and by the second song I had forgotten about Larry and it was all about Bono. We did go backstage (Steve Iredale, who is still with them, graciously let us in--I'll never forget him!)I got to talk with everyone except Larry, my love match (haha). Bono, Adam and Edge were --as it seems they always are!-- very kind, attentive but not the least bit cheesy or sleazy . Bono gave me a kiss (on the cheek), which was amazing of course.

Flash forward 16 years (and tons of concerts and U2 memories!) to last June. I was 8 months pregnant and taking my 3 year old son to the Swan Boats in Boston. My husband and brother were going to the Boston Elevation show, but I didn't want to go into labor in the Fleet Center so I couldn't make it! I walked over to the Four Seasons hotel and saw a bunch of people waiting for the band. My son (who is a huge fan!) was into it, so we hung out. They all came out and we got to say hi to everyone but Bono. It was very weird contrasting my young 80's coiffed self and UF-era U2 and with the older versions we had all become, but it was so great seeing them. Just as in 1985, they were totally nice (chatting with my son and asking me about my pregnancy--like i said--very weird!) Anyway, thanks for listening to an occasional lurker blab!

thank u for sharing that! i too, have been a fan for a LOng time!! Amazing how they have grown With us, huh? and our families thougtht we'd grow out of them! ha lol!!

Great story promenade, you really should post more!
I would have loved to see the Unforgettable Fire tour!

Hey--I'm glad you enjoyed this story. Since you guys are as obsessed as I am, here's some more info about seeing UF-era U2
that i never get to talk about, cause face it, no one cares about this minutia except pleba-types!

--as you know, they had the total SERIOUS rep back then--i mean, seeing them smile or laugh in pix seemed weird at the time. anyway, when bono walked into the hospitality area backstage with that long black coat and black bowler hat on, you would have thought the pope had entered. there was no screaming or "oh bono"s--just a total hush. oh yeah--he had the dyed black mullet.

--when my friend introduced me to him, he asked where i was from, if i enjoyed the show, what song i liked best (party girl).

--he was drinking a glass of wine and when i asked him for an autograph, he said sure and asked "would you please hold my wine michelle?" i was SO impressed when he said my name.

--he was standing with T Bone Burnett, a musician who has collaborated with them, and he introduced us, saying "michelle, do you know t bone?" HAHA i was this goober 19 year old wearing a denim jacket with u2 pins all over it.

--when i thanked him he hugged me and kissed me on the cheek.

--when i gave edge and adam my picture to sign, they were laughing at it and making fun or their hair styles. i asked them where larry was and adam said, oh he always hides on the bus.

there's my brain dump! don't ask me what happened yesterday, but i'm sure you'll understand that you always remember every detail of a u2 encounter!!

Damn girl, you got a good memory! Me, I couldnt remember things 5 minutes after they happened, I guess I was in shock and totally dazed!!!
Just some notes to your comments, I found it very wierd too that the times I met Bono, there was complete silence at the start of the visits, as you said.
And I can't believe UF mullet Bono kissed you on the cheek!:hyper: Very cool!!!

I love your story promenade!

Congrats on your almost 2 year old son/daughter! I was also pregnant during a U2 tour. Only a few months when I saw them on March 13, 1992 (Adam's birthday) and then I missed the outside broadcast tour that August, as I was 8 mos. pregnant.

oh such a sweet story..
I have nevermet them (maybe I will some day, maybe not :)) but I always ENJOY those memories/ stories of other fans.. a slight jealpusy swings with it.. but mostly being ahppey for them and beeing even more happy to get to know those stories... this way I feel like mcg closer to th ewhole comunity (that is gathered all around teh world)
:hug: thank you.. this was especially beautiful story

Back
Top Bottom