"The Push"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluephisto

War Child
In the mud, in the maze of my imagination.
Author's note. I dunno if this is just a stand alone thing, (it's just something I came up with when I wasn't blowing chunks last nite) or if I'm going to pursue it. I posted this in Dream out loud. But I like you guys better. :)

*hides under desk*

Sometimes I push
just to feel
anything
at all,
and I hope for the
black at the bottom of my fall.

He sat at the end of the bar, an old man in an old suit, so still he could have been a statue. Age had bleached his skin like a bone and hollowed graves from his eyes. I didn't catch myself staring until he looked right at me, and even then I didn't look away. It didn't matter now.

Sometimes I push

His voice was smoother than I expected, "What are you drinking, dear?"
I shrugged, "Whatever you're buying."
Slowly, with grinding grace he slid from his stool and sauntered to mine, nodding at the bartender for another drink as he moved his pale eyes over my face.
"You're too young to be here so soon."
"I got past the doorman fine, what's it to you?"
"I know everyone around here, but" the old man sipped his drink, "you're new."
The bartender shoved a tall glass of something strong and amber into my hand and I downed it, trying not to show that the fumes choked my lungs as the liquor plummeted to my stomach.
The old man lit a cigar and blue smoke circled his head like a doubtful halo as I answered him,
"I don't feel new."
He laughed, "Nobody does here. Not around here, no."

Just to feel anything at all

He smoked again, staring at me through the pollution, "If you're looking for new, young lady, you've come to the wrong place. This is a second hand store for souls no one wants anymore."
I saw that he was right, everyone in the quiet bar was hunched over and tired, hardly drinking or speaking.
I pushed more of the hot drink into my throat "I just wanted to get out for a bit, things are driving me crazy."
"Crazy?" The old man sighed like a tree would if it could let it's branches down for a second, "What have you got to be so ... crazy about?"
My fingers started to shake against the glass.

And I hope for the black at the bottom of my fall.

"You wanna know? It's a long story."
He smiled tightly, white skin creasing, "Darling, I have nothing but time."
I nodded, swallowing. "Fine." It was hard to take deep breaths in his cloud of blue haze. "I just ... it's a bunch of things. Nothing's working out lately."
He sounded bored, "Really?"
"You have no idea. Lost my job, lost my boyfriend, everything's just ... kinda falling through." Surprisingly, tears came to my eyes. I hadn't talked for so long. "And I'm getting so tired. I just wanna sleep, I just wanna ... go to sleep and not wake up for a while, you know?"
"Yes." He sighed smoke, "I know."
I wiped my face and shrugged, "Doesn't matter anyway."
"Why's that dear?"
I looked right at him, knowing he'd probably turn me in after I told him.
"I just took a bottle of pills in the bathroom before I came out here."
He nodded slowly, looking not at all surprised. "I know."
Things were getting fuzzy now. "Bullshit. How do you know?"

The old man leaned in and put a freezing hand on my arm, "You're already dead." His face became clear now, and I realized I had stopped breathing. "Welcome to eternity."

Sometimes I push
just to feel
anything
at all,
and I hope for the
black at the bottom of my fall.

*shiver* My phone rang right as I finished reading this and I had trouble remembering where I worked or my name.

I love reading anything you write Bluey. You are a great talent.

WOW.

This is a second hand store for souls no one wants anymore.
I really like that line.

The ending...wow...just wow. Makes me shiver too.

"You've got to be kidding me". I pulled my arm away. The sad, pale man's fingers were so cold they left a white frost on my arm that didn't fade.
He shook his head, "I'm not in the mood for kidding these days."
I stepped back, putting the bar stool between us like a lame fence post, "Who are you?"
"My name ..." He sighed as if this was a line he'd forced out too many times, "Is Mr. MacPhisto."
My voice stalled in my throat. This wasn't what I'd imagined death would be like. When I was a child, I pictured clouds and harps and angels ... or at the worst, fire and brimstone and devils armed with forks ... not a run down ghost of a bar. Not with some rockstar's alter ego. This wasn't death ... it couldn't be.
"I'm dreaming."
"You're done dreaming." More dry blue smoke from between his eerie coral lips, "Isn't that why you took all those pills?"
"None of your business. I'm gonna wake up anyway."
"Fantastic." He sat on a stool slowly, crushing his cigar on the dark wood of the bar. Only then did I notice all the identical burn marks on the counter. "You're one of those ."
He was a lot older, a lot slower than I'd expected. His skin looked like layer on layer of white parchment, maybe the sort souls are traded on. The red of his lips was garish against his teeth and his eyes were so pale under the storm of dark shadow that they looked white, wolfish and tired.
I sat on the stool across the corner, staring and he raised a harsh line of eyebrow.
"What?"
"I just thought you'd be a lot ... prettier."
His eyes narrowed, "That's because," MacPhisto pulled a martini from the shadows as he hissed at me, "You're an idealist ... and a spolied little brat who has to have everything just ... so."
"WHAT!?"
He just shrugged his gold shoulders and finished his drink slowly, taking no haste to reply. He was beginning to piss me off and a slow panic began to burn in my chest ... If this is a dream ... why is it so dissapointing? .
He answered my silent question with disturbing boredom in his languid voice, "Because it's not. a. dream."
"How did you know -"
"I know you. Unfortunately."
He stood up and straightened his collar, smoothing the red shirt fabric over the lapels of his faded gold suit. Not shiny gold ... fake gold ... second place gold ... fool's gold.
"Come on. Follow me. You're wasting my and everyone else's time."
"I'm not going ANYWHERE until you TELL me what the HELL is -"
He acted like he didn't hear me and walked to a plain wooden door with a black handle. As soon as his fingers touched the knob, the air in the bar changed. The old patrons that were so quiet and still I thought they were props JUMPED out of their seats and half of them ran to the far corner, shaking and wailing like demented babies while worse still, the other half charged at the door, clawing with grey fingers and pressing me into the wall. I couldn't hear anything above the screams and the fighting and it was all I could do to curl up into a ball and squeeze against the mouldy basebord when I was yanked through the forest of pounding, kicking feet and heard a SLAM and then a ringing in my ears.

I was surrounded by the soft, terrifying promises of the dark, and I could only hear the pounding on the other side of the door I'd been pulled through. Bare, cold floor chilled my hands and knees where I lay.

"H ... Hello?"

There was no answer but the flare of a match and the red eye of a cigar lighting above me in the dark.

MacPhisto sighed, "Get up, we have a lot to do."

I stood, unsteady and brushed myself off with dead, white hands. "What do you want?"

Again the cigar glowed and faded in the smoke he breathed.
"I have to put you where you belong now."

The sound of his shoes clicking further and further away.
"Wait, what do you mean? Hey, WAIT for me damn it!"

Bluey, darling!!

I don't venture here much anymore, but something told me to stop by and I'm so glad I did!!

This is, as is everything else you write, amazing...

By the way, how is everything? Send me an email... I'd love to hear from you!!

~Bona

A splendid story! :)
Bluephisto, I love your writing style, I wish I had that talent! And I absolutely adore MacPhisto. Just awhile back I was reading the MacPhisto society stories and fell in love with them! Sadly, the ones I found were incomplete and I was cut short of my reading.

Anyway, I can't wait until you post more of this story. Keep up the good work!

You're all really sweet to say all that but I seriously doubt that I'll finish this. Lol. Just being honest.

As for the MPS stories ... they can fall off the face of the earth and I'd be quite happy. No hard feelings just, a chapter I'm more than willing to close and forget.

*HUGS* to all. Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom