Surrender - Chapter 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHoney

Blue Crack Distributor
A REAL Life PLEBAn and proud of it....YES we are R
Disclaimer: Totally untrue, don't know the band although I wish I did. etc, etc.....

End Of Chapter 8

Bono placed the receiver down and ran up to his room so his father didn?t see his tears.

He slammed the door and slumped onto his single bed, staring up at the ceiling. She?d called him but there was no way they could meet with Murphy hanging around. He had to talk to the boys, see if between them they could come up with a rescue plan.

If only he could see her, then he remember Michael shouting the church?s name, what was it again?Our lady of something or other.

He flung open his door, running downstairs to his father

?Da, what?s that church in Glasnevin called? Our Lady of something...?

?What on earth do you want to know that for?? Bob looked up from his paper and looked at his son, annoyed because he?d been concentrating on the crossword.

?Someone asked me the other day and I felt an eejit not knowing, that?s all? Bono improvised.

?It?s Dolours , Paul. Our Lady of Dolours, beside the Tolka River and it is built like a pyramid, you know? Bob pleased that his son needed some of his knowledge

?Thanks? Bono wanted to hug and kiss his dad, but the Hewson men didn?t do affection. So he grabbed Bob?s hand and shook it.? I?m going out for a while, I?ll be back later?

?Where are you going now? ? Bob asked, it didn?t bother him but that?s what fathers were meant to say, wasn?t it? ?And don?t slam the door!!?

?Out? came Bono?s response as he grabbed his jacket from the coat hook and slammed the front door heading off for Glasnevin.

***************************************************************************************************************
bono.jpg

Bono sat himself down on the river bank. From here he had a perfect view of the church yet he was inconspicuous amongst the fishermen trying to catch trout. He opened his jacket pocket and pulled out his notebook. Maybe he could channel all his feelings into a song for Sadie. He sat staring into the flowing river, looking for inspiration of what to write. He tapped the notebook with his pen improvising a drumbeat to get his rhythm going...

?Excuse me, ya frightin? all the fish? a man said glaring at him...

?Sorry? Bono looked at the guy apologetically.

He started to write

Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can
I'll cross the sky for your love

He paused, reading his words, yeah he liked that. He started scribbling again:

For I have promised
Oh, to be with you tonight
And for the time that will come

Bono?s emotions were getting his creative juices flowing.

Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can

He stopped for a moment wondering whether repeating the same words was cool but logically it portrayed that he was re enforcing his desire,

And I understand
These winds and tides
This change of times
Won't drag you away

Yeah that conveyed that he knew that she?d still be there, nothing would stop them from eventually being together.

Hold on, and hold on tightly
Hold on, and don't let go
Of my love

That was the gig incident, when they?d held hands but he?d had to let her go, but he also meant that whatever happens she must remember he loved her.

The storms will pass
It won't be long now
This love will last
This love will last... forever

Michael was the storm, and she?d know that he would eventually get her away from him and that their love, the love he felt for her was eternal. The toll of the church bells brought him back to reality, he jumped up tucking his notebook safely away in his jacket. He waited for what seemed infinity as the congregation streamed out of the church. People were queuing to shake the priest?s hand, chatting to their acquaintances; there was a mass of bodies. He moved slightly looking for her amongst the throng. Then he saw her...

She was stood there, seeming totally out of place: a rose amongst the thorns. She was completely unaware of the obvious stir her presence was creating amongst the men; oblivious that she was a rare jewel of true beauty. Then he saw Michael, it took all of his self control to stand his ground, Bono wished he could run up to them, grab Sadie and run off into the sunset. Unfortunately with the whole Murphy clan there, not a good plan. As Sadie smiled at something one of the men said, the sun came out from behind it?s cloudy cover and shone directly onto her, immersing her in a celestial glow.

Bono stood hypnotized by her exquisiteness, her elegance, her grace, her beauty.

Then she looked directly at him as if she had sensed his soul?s essence. She smiled, immediately looking away so that no one realized he was there. He couldn?t just stand here now. He moved closer, trying to move covertly so he wasn?t seen. He caught Sadie?s eye, she looked at him shaking her head as if telling him to stop but he couldn?t. He assessed the situation; the Murphy?s were engaged with people obviously making sure they kept in the ? Murchadha?s good books. He managed to sneak into the church; Sadie had seen him he just hoped she would follow.

Sadie stood with the Murphy?s. She was amazed at how many of the congregation wanted to greet both the priest and the Murphy?s. Obviously they were a family of high importance in these parts. Everyone was staring at her, yet was too shy to ask who she was, not that Michael seemed to want to introduce her to anyone, and she was puzzled why.

Danny looked at her, sensing her discomfort. He whispered to his wife and walked over.
?You ok? ?, his smile making her knees buckle slightly.

?I?m fine, just trying to get used to Irish ways I suppose. You must be a great family around Glasnevin for so many people wanting to chat to you all?

?You could say that? Danny gazed at her, she really had no idea .He leaned down into her , his hot breath touching her neck, sending shivers down her spine: he smiled as he got the reaction he wanted. ?Although you are the sexiest thing here? he whispered into her ear. He walked back to his wife, leaving Sadie bemused.

Why when all she wanted was Bono, did the Murphy men make her body react in that way? It was obvious Danny wanted her, even though she was with Michael and he was married with kids galore. Something told her to look towards the river, as she glanced there he was, her Bono. Maybe her body had been reacting to his presence rather than Danny?s. She hoped it was. She smiled, but turned her gaze quickly so that no one else saw him.

She looked for Bono again; there he was making his way through the crowd. When she caught his gaze, she shook her head to tell him not to do anything stupid. He obviously wasn?t listening. What was it with men, they never listen? Sadie thought. She saw him slip into the church.

?Michael I just have to pop into the church. I think I left my purse inside.?

?Yeah, whatever? he gruffly replied, obviously more interested in his conversation than her.

Sadie made her way into the church.

Sadie looked for Bono. She panicked, she couldn?t see him. Now where could he be hiding? She looked around the church, only one place he could be. She walked towards the confessional boxes, and turned the handle. Her intuition had been right; there he sat the anxious look on his face disappearing as soon as he saw it was her.

She raised her finger to her lips ?Shhhh?

The box was only made for one person so when he stood up, their bodies pressed tightly against one another. There was only a dim light from the candle on the other side of the grill, but enough for him to see her face. He held her face in his hands, touching it?s every contour as Sadie sighed at the touch of his thick Irish fingers against her skin. They stared lustfully into each others eyes as Bono?s hands moved down her body, touching her, feeling her. Sensations that Sadie had ever experienced rushed through her body, every limb, every muscle, every vein. Bono?s hands stopped at her waist as he pulled her even closer to him as he bent his head and placed his lips onto her soft pouting mouth. She groaned once more as the rush of lust filled her to the core.

Bono had kissed girls before but nothing had ever felt this sensual, this erotic. He had never felt an attraction as salacious as this. Never had he been as horny or randy as he was now, yet in a deep meaningful way.

?God I could take you now?, his whisper full of wanton lust

?Oh yes? Sadie sighed, willingly offering herself to him.

Yet fate wasn?t going to on their side, the priest door opened.

Sadie and Bono looked at teach other. Quickly Sadie knelt down, motioning Bono to crouch on the floor as best he could.

?Bless me Father for I have sinned, it?s been 5 years since my last confession? Sadie smiled at Bono as she said the words.

?Continue my child? The priest calming voice instructed

?I?ve taken the lord?s name in vain, many times? Sadie blushed

Bono looked at her, he couldn?t resist. ?What OMG OMG OMG ?he mouthed whilst contorting his face as if in an orgasmic fit.

Sadie pinched his arm, she really wanted to giggle but now wasn?t really an appropriate time.

Bono rubbed his arm where Sadie had pinched him. He looked up at her with sad puppy dogs eyes.

?I?ve lusted after many men,? Sadie could sense the priest sighing disapprovingly through the grill.

?I have turned a rock star into a god, and have bowed down and worshiped him? Sadie looked at Bono.

?What me?? he whispered pointing towards himself.

Sadie nodded at him. ?I haven?t been to mass on a regular basis?

Sadie didn?t know what else to say.

?Is that all? ? The priest asked her.

?Yes father? Sadie grinned at Bono. It was all she was going to admit to.

?God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son, has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Say 10 Hail Mary?s and 10 Our Father?s as your act of Contrition?

Sadie and Bono exited the booth. They looked deep into each others eyes.

? I better go. Michael surely must be wondering where I am by now?, Sadie voice quiet with sorrow.

? I know, I don?t want to let you go, but I have to... for now. But always remember I?ll return for you.? Bono tenderly spoke as he held her hand stroking it gently with his thumb.

? Now go? he said kissing her passionately on her lips.?I love you, promise you?ll call.?

? I love you, Bono?, Sadie turned trying to control her tears as she headed for the door. As she entered the porch , Danny was walking in.

?Ohh am I in trouble?? She giggled at Danny

?Well he isn?t too happy, he got really pissed as he couldn?t find you and just drove off. So I thought I?d wait for you, well I dropped off my family and came back? Daniel smoothly charming Sadie

? Oh there was no need for that, Danny. That?s sweet of you I hope you haven?t gone to too much trouble? Sadie said walking into the church yard, trying to lure him away so Bono could escape.

? It isn?t a problem, honey. I only live down the road and I couldn?t have a lovely thing like you all alone on the streets? Danny wondered whether Sadie realised he was coming onto her.

Sadie started to walk to Danny?s car. Danny obviously wanted her, she wasn?t that na?ve. He opened the passenger side door for her, she flashed some leg to keep his attention on her. He walked around to the driver?s side , sliding into his seat with panache.

?Sadie? he looked at her

?Yeah? she knew what he wanted, what he?d say, the thought disgusted her yet for reasons she didn?t comprehend the danger excited her.

She saw Bono walking out of the church. Danny leant forward and kissed her , she knew Bono wouldn?t be noticed if she let Danny do what he wanted. She closed her eyes and thought of Bono as she responded, Danny must be convienced she wanted it.

Sadie gave it a few minutes and pushed Danny away.

?Stop. Please Danny. I can?t.? She looked down ashamed at her actions.

?Why can?t you? You seem to want to? Danny looked annoyed.

?The fact that I?m with Micahel and he?s your brother. I?ve never cheated on a boyfriend and I don?t intend to now? Sadie pleaded.

?Ok as ya wish, but I will have you one day you know, you can?t resist me. Right let?s get ya home? Danny started the engine.

The front door closed with a slam, even over his opera Bob had heard it. Then the usual thud of Paul running up the stairs to his room. Turning the music down Bob walked to the bottom of the stairs

?Paul is that you??

?Yes Da, it?s me?

?Where have you been? Your dinner?s in the oven?

Bob saw his son's head appear as he leant over the bannister.

?Alrigh? I?ll be down in a minute? Bono smiled down at his dad.

Wow a smile. It wasn?t often they exchanged one of those. Something or someone had obviously made his son happy.

Sadie felt suffocated. The last few days Michael had insisted she follow where ever he went. The bookies, the pub, the bank. The only break she got was at night when she lay in bed dreaming of Bono. Michael was in the lounge phoning London to speak to Gloomy see how the business was going.

?Would you like to come with me?? Conor asked Sadie. He didn?t speak much, he was the shy one.

Sadie looked up from the cold cup of tea she ws staring into, ? Sorry??

?You don?t have to, but you look like you could do with some air.?he smiled sweetly.? And Shamrock does like you.?

?Go on with ya, ? Annie smiled at her son, so different from the others.

?But Michael? Sadie began to worry.

?Don?t you worry about him now, it?ll do you good? Annie sensed her son was getting controlling. His father had been like that once upon a time, she dreaded any of her sons taking after him.

They got to the gate.

?Here you take him Sadie? Conor handed her Shamrock?s leash

Sadie took it and smiled back at him. Conor was totally different to the other Murphy men. Whereas they were all loud & confident he was quiet and retiring. Maybe it was because he was still at school but she didn?t think he wanted to go into the family business.

Bono lay on his bed, humming melodies to match his words..

He?d finished his song for Sadie. He?d get it on the next album. Well it?s the only one he?d written so far even though he assured the band there was loads of ideas.

Sadie?s song

Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can

For I have promised
Oh, to be with you tonight
And for the time that will come

Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can
And I understand
These winds and tides
This change of times
Won't drag you away

Hold on, and don't let go
Of my love
The storms will pass
It won't be long now
His love will last
His love will last... forever

Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can
Give you what I hold dear/my heart

Hold on, hold on tightly
Get up get up
You are my angel
You run, you run
You run and not grow weary

Take my hand, take my hand
Hold on, hold on tightly
To this love... last forever / This love, this love
To this love... last forever / This love, this love

Take my hand
Take my hand

Bono loved it; it summed up all the events of the last week. And when it can to recording it he?d pour all his passion into it, make sure everyone knew Sadie was his one true love.

It had been 4 days since she?d seen Bono. She needed to get away from Michael but how.

?Sadie, I?ve got a business meeting on the 8th so you?ll have to entertain yourself. I?ll be gone all day? Michael advised her

?Really, its ok I can go and do some sightseeing in town and maybe do some shopping. I can get the bus or walk as it?s not far is it? ?Sadie knew the sightseeing she had in mind wasn?t walking down Grafton Street.

?That?s grand?, Michael smiled, ?Here take this I?ll give you some more later? he said chucking a bundle of wrapped notes at her.

?Gee thanks? Michael oblivious to her sarcastic reply.

Now she had to make arrangements with Bono.

?I?m just going to walk Shamrock? She said ?Shamrock want to go walkies??

Shamrock loved his new mistress. She took him for walks and always rubbed his belly. He came running up to her with his leash in his mouth.

?Good boy? she cooed as she patted his head. ?Michael you want to come??

She didn?t want him too, she knew he wouldn?t.

?No you go. I have a few business things to do?, Michael really was distant at times.

Sadie walked out the door, with her spring in her step. She?ll see Bono again soon. Spend the day with him. She knew what she wanted to do

The phone rang.

?Hello Dublin 100560 ?

?Hi is Bono there, please??

?Who shall I say is calling??

?Sadie.?

She held the phone being placed on something.

?Paul!!! Paul!!!! PAULLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! ......Sadie?s on the phone!!

She heard someone almost falling down the stairs, eager to get down them

?Hi Baby? Bono voice making her swoon

?Hi, are you free on the 8th because I?m Michael free for the whole day? Sadie spoke in a sultry tone

?Bollix. I leave for Europe tomorrow. I can always cancel ?Bono angry that he had to go

?No you can?t do that, the band and a lot of other people are relying on you.?

?I don?t care I?ll quit if I have too. You are more important than anything else to me?

?Please Bono, I could never ask you to give up your dream. You?ve worked so hard to get here. And as your No 1 fan I should know.?

?What about you? Will you be ok?? Bono was concerned for her safety

?Hey I?ll be fine. I got this Irish hunk lined up to keep me busy whilst you?re away.? Sadie teased

?You have?? Bono voice seemed worried

?As if!! There?s only one soon to be world famous rock star for me: and it?s you?

?It better be? Bono laughed.? I?ll miss you like crazy; I wish I could call you.?

?So do I? Sadie didn?t want Bono to know how much she wanted him to stay

?I love you Sadie? Bono blow a kiss down the phone

?I love you too? she chuckled, ?Get it you too and you?re in a band called U2?

?Like I?ve never heard that one before.? Bono laughed.? Be safe baby.?

?Miss you already? Sadie placed the receiver down as a wave of sorrow washed over her heart.

It was a beautiful day as Sadie sat on the top deck of the 123 bus heading into town. She loved looking at houses, and the people going about their lives. Every house she passed she wondered if that was where Bono lived. Although Conor had said he lived up in Ballymun and that it wasn?t advisable she went there alone.

She read the street sign O?Connell Street this was her stop. She got off the bus unsure of what direction to walk in, she closed her eyes to feel the city?s spirit, and she walked south. She looked across the wide street, the lanes of traffic separated by a row of trees. She saw the GPO and remembered her father?s stories of how his grandfather fought in the rebellion. There was Eason?s with its clock and Clery?s to her left, all the places her dad had told her about. The people hustling around her didn?t bother after all she was from London. She turned to go into Clery?s and accidentally bumped into a man.

?I?m so sorry? Sadie apologized.

?That?s alrigh?.? He replied ?Sadie Murray, what are you doing in town??

Sadie looked at the man; it was Michael?s brother Liam. ?Hi Father Liam? she smiled.

?Is Michael will you?? Liam looked around to find Michael.

?No he?s at a business meeting all day so thought I?d come see the sights of Dublin?, Sadie conscious of the looks she was getting from passers by; a scantily dressed woman talking to a priest.

?Come and have a cup of tea with me? Liam guided her through the bustling crowd so they wouldn?t be in the way.

?I?m not so sure, we?re already getting weird looks? Sadie blushed

?Wha? if I do this, will this help?? Liam said removing his collar and unbuttoning his shirt

?That?ll do nicely? she smiled. ?So where we?re going?

?Let?s go to Bewley?s on Grafton Street., my treat? Liam said offering his arm for Sadie to cling to.

********************************************************************************************************************

Back
Top Bottom