Surrender Chapter 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHoney

Blue Crack Distributor
A REAL Life PLEBAn and proud of it....YES we are R
Disclaimer: Totally untrue, don't know the band although I wish I did. etc, etc.....

NB = I've tried to narratate the Murphy's part as Dubliners speak. If there's anything you don't understand, please feel free to ask

End of Chapter 7

Sadie closed the door and heaved a huge sigh of relief. She waited a few minutes, and opened the door, just to make sure Michael had gone. Good he had. She shut the door, flicking the locks so she felt safe. She trudged to the cupboard taking a glass and the whiskey bottle. She paused, “Sod the glass” she muttered and put it away. She swigged from the bottle as she made her way to the bedroom, she sat on the edge of the bed removing her boots and clothing and headed to the shower, she needed to feel clean she felt so dirty.

Sadie finished her shower making her way to the bedroom, she felt better but so confused. She lay on her bed, naked not that anyone could see her; if they could she wouldn’t care. She took another mouthful of Jamieson. She lifted the hand that Bono had held; the one he’d squeezed so tightly, and placed it on her breast. Her tears started, turning into sobs of pain as the reality hit her. Bono was further away now than ever. He promised he would come for her but how long would she have to wait. And how would she explain it to Michael. As she fell asleep, the tears stopped and she dreamt of being with Bono.

*************************************************************************************************************
n13837431333_578804_9759.jpg

“Are you ready?” Michael looked at Sadie

“Yeah, I’ll be fine, “Sadie smiled at him apprehensively

“Just remember they don’t bite”, Michael chuckled quietly.

Sadie couldn’t complain, Michael had flown them from London first class, she appreciated the gesture even though she’d felt that the stewardess looked down their noses at her as if she wasn’t good enough. Michael didn’t seem bothered, that was because they’d loved him: they’d lapped up his charm. Bitches. Now she was here, at his family home. What if his family didn’t like her? Or she didn’t like them?

Michael rang the doorbell. There came a chaotic noise from inside the house; he could imagine his mother running around making sure everything was in its proper place.

The door opened, “Michael my son”, his mother yelled as if she hadn’t seen him in years.

“Hi mammy” He hugged her tightly, and pulled away.

“This is Sadie”, gently putting his arm around her and pushing her forward.

“Nice to meet you Mrs. Murphy” Sadie smiled sweetly at her

“I’m sure the pleasure all mine, my dear. Please call me ma or mammy, my other daughters in law do” Annie Murphy smiled at her son & his girl. “Please come in”

The ladies had made an instant connection.

Michael led the way into the heart of every Irish home, the kitchen. Sadie followed him and sat down in the chair he’d pulled out for her.

“Now can I get ya both something? I’ll get you a nice cup of tea and some cake” Annie busied herself preparing the tea

“Mammy its ok, a cup of tea will be fine.” Michael smiled at her. He looked at Sadie and shrugged as his mum retrieved several home baked cakes from the press.

Annie Murphy sat down at the table. She certainly didn’t look her age and considering she’d born 10 children had a slender figure. “Well now Sadie tell me a little about yourself”

“Well Mrs...” Sadie began, as Annie interrupted her

“Uhoh its mammy, please carry on” Annie smiled at Sadie

“Well mammy, I’m Sadie Marie, born in Drogheda 20 years ago, to Thomas and Mary Murray of Slane Co. Meath. We moved to London when I was 3 and I’ve lived there ever since. My da passed a few years ago and my ma returned to Slane and I decided to stay in London...

Michael sat there; he’d never asked Sadie her age. Wow she was only 20.

“Ah may the good lord bless his soul” Annie spoke softly as she made the sign of the cross.

The kettle was blowing a high pitched squeal as Michael got up and proceeded to make the tea

“Aww Michael you’re so good to your mammy. The good lord surely was looking down on me kindly the day you were born” Annie turned back to Sadie “He’s such a good boy.”

Sadie smiled; Michael was such a mammy’s boy, if his mother only knew what he was up to instead of going to mass on a Sunday morning she’d be mortified.

Michael brought the tea to the table and went to the cupboard to reach some mugs.

“Michael!!! ” Annie’s shrill almost glass shattering, “remember we use the best china for guests”

Michael rolled his eyes and went to get the best china from the cabinet in the dinning room.

“Well Sadie my dear, please except my apologies for the lack of a welcoming committee, but you’ll meet them all soon enough”

“That’s grand, mammy. I suppose its better it isn’t all at once, I can imagine I may have found that a bit overbearing. “

Michael looked at his mum. She was obviously embarrassed on one else was there to welcome Sadie. He wasn’t too happy either

“So where is everyone ma?” Michael would be asking more questions later.

“Well your da is down at the bookies, Matt and Paul are doing God knows what, Paddy & Tommy are playing football, Conor is at the park and Sinead is in town looking for an outfit. Obviously Danny and Jimmy will be here later with their families. Oh and Liam said he’ll try and get here after the service.” Annie chuckled at Sadie,” I think that’s everyone accounted for. Did Michael tell you our Liam has just been ordained?”

“Yes he did tell me, you must be so proud. That’s a lot of children to remember” Sadie grinned, “I’m glad I’m an only child as that sounds hectic”

“Ahh did your parents not want anymore?” Annie asked

“Well my mum did have a little boy when I was 3; unfortunately he died a few hours after his birth. That’s why we moved to London, to try and escape the memories” Sadie explained.
“Oh my dear” Annie reached and patted Sadie’s hand.” That must have been awful for her. At least the lord smiled on her when he gave her you”

The door slammed. And a young lad walked into the kitchen, “How’re ya?”

“Conor!! “ Michael shook his hand

“Hi Bro” Conor smiled. “And this lovely young thing must be Sadie?”

“How’re ya Conor, nice to meet you”, Sadie smiled sweetly at him. Had she meet him before, his face seemed so familiar? No she was being ridiculous she couldn’t have.

Suddenly something launched itself at Sadie. She jumped and screamed

“Shamrock!!” Michael yelled his voice full of delight lovingly petting his dog.

“Sadie this is me dog Shamrock, he won’t bite ya” Michael summoned Shamrock

Shamrock sat at his master’s feet. Michael spoke to him “Shamrock, this is Sadie. Be nice”

Shamrock turned and lifted his paw to shake Sadie’s hand.

Sadie’s heart melted. Shamrock was such a sweetie. “What type of dog is he?”

Michael proudly responded, “He’s a pure bred Staffordshire Bull Terrier”

“He’s such a sweetheart” Sadie cooed, as Shamrock took to her immediately and rolled over for a belly rub.

“We’ll pop down the pub before tea if that’s ok ma? Sadie would you like to freshen up?”

“Go on with ya, I’ll be fine getting the tea on my own” Annie replied.

***************************************************************************************************************

Edge had looked all over the ferry eventually he found Bono standing on the deck, his mop of hair blowing in the sea breeze, dampened by the sea’s spray.

“So what happened last night was that Sadie one?” Edge asked Bono

“God, I shouldn’t have left her with him, I should of just grabbed her and ran” Bono had been feeling pangs of guilt since abandoning Sadie to the gobshite.

“So WHY did you let her go” Edge was perplexed. Bono had been going on about her since the “incident” at Kingston Poly and he’d found her and let her go, it just didn’t make sense.

“There’s only one good reason Edge, he has a tattoo” Bono’s eyes welling up at the thought of Sadie in that bastards bed

“So what, he’s got a tattoo. What difference does that make?” Edge shrugged getting ever more bewildered.

“It’s a shamrock with a black heart in the middle, on his left hand” Bono looked at Edge

“What he’s an ó Murchadha?” The look of horror on Edge’s face said it all.

“I can’t leave her with him, I just can’t. What am I going to do??” Bono looked at Edge praying he’d have an answer

“Nothing rash I hope,” Edge put his hand on Bono’s arm to reassure him. “You need to think cleverly and carefully because one wrong move and I wouldn’t put it past them to hurt her, you or both of you”

“I know; I haven’t a clue what to do” Bono felt helpless. He needed to arm himself with a major weapon before he could get on his trusty steed and go rescue Sadie from the monster that’d captured her.

“We’ll think of something.” Edge hoped his words could at least comfort Bono for now.” I promise you we’ll find a way.”

Bono turned to Edge hugging him, “I love you Edge”, then after a brief moment, “I mean like brotherly love”

***************************************************************************************************************

Michael walked into the pub, and walked towards his brothers. Danny, Jimmy Matt & Paul were all seated at their usual table, from where they could oversee everything and make a quick get away out the back if the Gardi arrived.

“Howayeh” Michael said as he reached the table. His brothers standing up to greet him

“Al-ri” Jimmy said hugging Michael

“Alrite?” Danny smiled at Michael, and grabbed the barman’s attention.

"Wats the storeey Mickey" Matt wanted to hear the latest about this bird that Michael had brought home with him.

No one got away with calling him Mickey except his family. Michael sat down on the stool.

“I’m grand my brothers, just grand.” Michael smiled at the barman as he placed a freshly drawn Guinness in front of him. “So what’s de story with The General then?”

“Jaysus knows. He called for a meeting; he said it’d be to our advantage.” Danny looked around the table at them.” But I don’t trust the gobshite, and why does he want Mickey there? We must watch our backs.”

They all nodded in agreement.

“Matt you call the intermediary say we’re ready to meet. I want it on mutual ground though.” Danny commanded his brother’s undivided attention. He ran the show now, although his father Michael Sr. watched him like a hawk.

“Me self, Mickey & Jimmy will go. Matt & Paul you’ll be there for backup; we’ll scout for positions once the place has been decided.”

“So Mickey, tell us about this mot of yours. She knows the truth about ya?” Matt brought up the subject of Sadie yet again.

“Paul, what’s up?” Mickey wondered why he was so quiet.

“Don’t worry he’s coming down after a joint. Ma will go mad if he’s high when we go around for tea.” Jimmy teased

“Well Sadie will be here shortly. She just wanted to phone her ol’wan up in Meath. You can see for yourselves then” Michael was confident when they saw her they’d all be jealous. Sadie was definitely different to the women you found around Glasnevin. “Anyway I need the jacks.” Michael strolled to wards the bathroom.

Sadie pull the door of the telephone box shut. Michael had gone on to the pub, she’d told him she wanted to call her ma, she was but first she had another call to make.
She made sure no one was looking and retrieved the piece of paper from her bra, unfolding it so she could read the number. Nervously she dialed the number. It rang a few times but it seemed like an eternity.

“Hello Dublin 100560” a Dublin accent greeted her

“Hello is Bono there, please? “

“Bono??” The male voice seemed puzzled for a brief moment “Oh you mean Paul.”

“He told me his name was Bono” Sadie replied nervously

“Yeah that’s him, why he can’t use the name his mother and I christened him, I’ll never know” the man replied with a slight annoyance. “I’m afraid he’s in Europe touring at the moment. Can I take a message?”

“Oh I’m sorry, em no message. Thanks any way”

“Alright so” he replied and hung up on her.

Sadie replaced the phone, tears in her eyes. She wasn’t in the mood for her mother now. She should have left a number but she didn’t know how long she’d be here for, and best not let Michael know. She pushed the door open; it was heavy but not as heavy as her heart. She walked toward the pub and Michael.

“Who was tha’ Da?” Bono asked munching on an apple as he made his way into the lounge from the kitchen

“Ahh t’was just some groupie again; we should go ex directory although this one was English I think, I’m taking so many of these calls. And why do they always call you Bono, your name is Paul”

Bob looked at his son; they were too alike to really get on. He never would understand his youngest son but although he didn’t say it, he loved Paul.

“English, did she give a name?” Bono’s heart leaped as he thought of Sadie.

“No she didn’t, she sounded nice though. It had an Irish lilt to it, strange sounding accent” Bob looked at Bono bemused in his son’s interest

Bono knew in his heart it was Sadie. Why hadn’t he told his dad to get their name first before telling them he was away?

Sadie pushed open the door and walked into Murphy’s bar, suddenly feeling hundreds of eyes on her, watching her every move.

She regretted wearing her mini skirt and tight top now. Michael had said she looked fine but everyone was staring at her. She wasn’t ashamed of her body, and she wasn’t going to let these people get to her.

She walked to the bar, and asked for a Jamieson on the rocks, her accent becoming more Irish than usual. Before she could hand over her punts to pay, a man’s hand reached over and paid the barman

“I’ll get that if I may? My name is Daniel, Daniel Murphy”, the charm oozing out of his every pore.

She looked around and saw an older better looking, if that was possible version of Michael. She tried not to swoon as she looked into his eyes, she knew what that look meant.

The boys saw her as she walked in, she definitely wasn’t from Glasnevin. A stunning young woman wearing a tight shirt and a small skirt that showed off her shapely legs to perfection.

"Would ye look at the rack on her”, Jimmy panted almost choking on his beer.

“She sure has and look at the hoop on her too" Danny said as he stood up, “I didn't get me hole for months, I’m going get it tonight .” Danny’s wife was pregnant again, he loved kids just hated the fact he got no sex for 8 months.

Paul felt himself stir “Look at the belt on her”, he’d never seen a girl wear a skirt that short.

“She could blow me flute anytime", Matt chuckled.

Michael stood there, leaning against the wall, his arms crossed. It didn’t bother him that his brothers were talking about his Sadie like that, it made him smile. He had something they all wanted, especially Danny it seemed.

“What makes Danny so sure he’ll succeed with her?” Michael couldn’t resist it

"Cos he's hung like a bleedin donkey" Paul roared with the laughter

“But aren’t all of us Murphy men?” Michael responded patting his crotch.

“That we are” cheered Matt, Jimmy and Paul in unison.

They all turned to cheer Danny on. He reached over the woman’s hand and paid the barman

“I’ll get that if I may? My name is Daniel, Daniel Murphy”, the charm oozing out of his every pore.

She turned around and looked straight into his eyes. He could tell she knew what he wanted, and he sensed she was willing, but something was holding her back.

Michael was going to have fun with this, “I bet ya 50 punts I can go and get her to snog me!”

“You’re on” said Jimmy placing the 50 punts on the table.

Michael strutted over, tapped her shoulder and she just jumped on him, totally leaving Danny for dead.

The boys stood there, as Danny walked back.

"Would you look at that, the pair of them wearing the face of each other!" Jimmy cursed wishing he’d keep his mouth shut and his money in his pocket.

They stopped kissing and Michael held her hand as he led her to the table. He reached down and pocketed his winnings and smiled at the boys as he told them

“Lads, I’d like to introduce you to Sadie. “

“Hi boys” she smiled as they shuffled up the seating to make room for her.

Michael introduced them, “There’s Jimmy, Paul, Matt and you already met the eldest Danny”

Danny forced himself to grin, Michael had smirked at him, it didn’t matter he’d have Sadie before too long.

“How’s Orla, Danny?” Michael clearly trying to sabotage any feeling Sadie might have for Danny

“She’s pregnant again!!” Danny glared at Michael.

“What number will this be?” Michael sensing his brother’s annoyance

“Well it’s nice to know that you remember the number of nephews and nieces you have Michael” Danny quipped back.

“Please Danny, tell me about your children” Sadie looked deep into his blue eyes.

“Well I have Daniel Jr, he’s 10, Thomas he’s 8, Billy he’s 6, Aoife she’s 4, Mary she’s 3, Peter 18 months and twins on the way,” Danny sounded proud as he listed his brood.

“Wow that’s a whole lot of fun for you & your wife. I hope I have a big family like yours one day” she smiled at him, and touched he’s hand, both of them feeling the electricity that passed between them. “What about the rest of you? “ Sadie looked at the other boys

“Well Paul and I are happily single but Jimmy has a few nippers”, Matt kicked Jimmy under the table

“Ehh yeah I have Luke 5, Aidan 4 and Annie 2” Jimmy smiled.

“That’s grand, isn’t it Michael” Sadie grinned as she looked into his eyes.

“Well now, we’d better be getting back to ma’s before she sends a search party.” Danny drunk the last of his drink, he needed to get his mind off Sadie; he was hoping seeing his kids and heavily pregnant wife would help.

All was quiet in the Murphy household, all the family had left and those that still lived in the Grittith Avenue house had retired to bed.

Sadie and Michael sat on the couch watching Charlie’s Angels on the TV, Sadie’s head resting on his chest as his arm stretched limply over her shoulders.

“Do you think your family liked me?” Sadie turned and looked at Michael’s face

“Honestly no I don’t,” he replied his eyes never moving from the TV

“You are joking? Did I do or say something wrong” Sadie was so sure they did.

“Yeah, they don’t like you” Michael shrugged, “you didn’t say nor do anything wrong either.”

“I can’t stay here now, not if they don’t like me” Sadie sniffed as tears formed in the corner of her eyes, “I go to a hotel or B&B or something”

Sadie shuffled forward to the edge of the couch and stood up. She wasn’t going to stay in a house where she wasn’t really wanted

“You’re not going anywhere Sadie, unless I say so”, Michael grabbed her wrist pulling her back down, his eyes still firmly fixed on the TV.

“Michael I can’t stay here if they don’t like me” Sadie whispered trying to claim her wrist back

“What’s all the fuss? you asked if my family liked you and I told you they don’t. In fact they...” Michael stopped, teasing her

“Michael what did they say” Sadie pleading for him to tell her.

“Well they adore you; you seem to have enchanted all the men without pissing off all the women” Michael grinned cheekily

Sadie looked at him wanting to hit him, but she though better of it” You bastard, no sex for you for a week”

“Oh like that wasn’t obvious, me in with Matt & Paul and you in Sinead’s room” he stuck his tongue out at Sadie.

“Oh no, whatever shall we do. Michael Murphy can’t have me!! What shall he do if he gets horny??” Sadie giggled at him

Michael looked at her; well the adverts were on at the moment anyway. She looked absolutely stunning when she smiled. Between Sadie and that Farrah Fawcett one, he was feeling horny. What wouldn’t he do to be together with those two ladies?

“I’m sure something with come up!!” He gave Sadie that look.

“It seems something already has!!” She chuckled.” Bosley, I’m going undercover to investigate”.

Sadie sat at the kitchen table playing with her cup, all day she’d been thinking of Bono. She’d dreamt him last night; he’d fought Michael and dragged her up on the stage, and hadn’t let her go, whisking her away to the middle of nowhere and making….

“Sadie, Sadie??” Annie asked, “Have you finished with that cup?”

“Oh sorry, I was miles away” she said apologetically handing the cup over

“Mickey has gone to drop Sinead off at her friend’s house. He won’t be long, dear.”

“oh right, yes” Sadie hadn’t even noticed he’d gone. Maybe she should try and get hold of Bono again. “I’ll think I’ll just pop out for a stroll, I must try and get hold of my ma”

“Why don’t you use the phone here?” Annie asked

“Ah sure, I don’t want to put you out now” Sadie said

“How would you be?? Please call your ma from the house. It’s in the lounge”

“Thanks ma.” Sadie smiled at Annie. She’d rather have gone out but she didn’t think Annie would earwig and anyway she’d close the lounge door.

Sadie picked up the phone, her hands shaking as she dialled the number. It rang 5 times before…

“Hello 100560”, Bono’s voice unmistakable in her ear.

Sadie hung up. She didn’t know why she just put the receiver down.

“Why on earth did you do that for; you stupid cow?” She muttered to herself.

She sat there for ages staring at the phone, he was at home, she had no Michael she could talk to Bono, arrange to meet him. She lifted the receiver, once more dialling his number. One ring, two rings, three rings…

“Hello??” Bono’s voice sounding sweet to her ears, she stood in silence, “Hello” he asked again.

“Is there anyone there?” Bono was obviously getting annoyed.

As Sadie went to answer, the door opened and Michael strolled into the room, seating himself down on the couch, he looked at her as if questioning who she was speaking to...

“Hi ma, it’s Sadie.”, she looked at Michael and smiled

“Oh my God, is that really you Sadie?” Bono’s annoyance subsiding into excitement

“Yeah ma, it’s really me. I just really wanted to speak to you.”

“Where are you? I’ll come and get you, and why on earth are you calling me ma??”

“I’m in Dublin, with my boyfriend Michael.” Sadie tried to sound excited

“Jaysus you’re in Dublin!! Right I can meet you somewhere, can you lose that header??”

“Not really, Michael’s with me most of the time so I won’t get lost”, she turned to Michael as if to say her ma thinks I’ll get lost in town.

Michael rolled his eyes and laughed.

“That absolute gobshite. Is there no way you can get away” Bono’s desperation obvious

“Not that I know of but I really need to see you before I go home” Sadie trying to control her feelings

“ I really need to see you baby” Bono just wanted to tell her to run as fast as he could away from Murphy but that could endanger her, best she didn’t know what Murphy was until she was safely in his arms.

“I know, I can’t wait until I see you again, it seems like forever.” Sadie hoped she was convincing Michael her ma was on the other end of the line.

“Oh baby, now if you are left alone phone me and I’ll met you somewhere. Any time of day or night, promise me?”

“Of course I will, I promise.” Sadie looked at Michael and placed her hands together as if she was praying and mouthed “She wants to know if I’m going to mass”

Michael shouted “She will be off to mass soon at the infamous Our Lady of Dolours”

Hearing Michael in the background made Bono’s blood boil.

“Oh to get past my father, you better have a password.” Bono needed something he’s dad would remember.

“Why would I need to do that for?” Sadie asked

“So he doesn’t think you’re a normal groupie.” Bono laughed. “Use the word Opera”

“Ok no problem ma, I think I can remember that”

“Sadie; one last thing, I love you. I mean I really love you” Bono hoped bearing his heart to her wouldn’t scare her away; he just needed her to know how he felt

“I do too, with all my heart & soul” Sadie needed him to know that she reciprocated his feelings.

“Take care and don’t do anything stupid I’ll come for you I promise Bono pleaded with his love

“Ok I promise. I’ll phone you again soon to make arrangements to call by. I love you ma”

“I love you Sadie. Bye now.

“Bye” Sadie’s heart was heavy; she didn’t want to put the phone down

“Sadie, put the phone down. I don’t want to leave either but Michael will wonder why. I’m hanging up now. Love you tons.”

The line went dead. Sadie put down the receiver and turned to Michael. “So am I suitably dressed for mass? “

“You’ll do” he said beckoning her to sit on his lap. “So what’s your ma say?”

“She’s happy I have a boyfriend and that I’ll be visiting her soon. She had to rush off for mass so I said I’d call her again.”

“That’s grand so. Come we better go otherwise ma will crucify me”, Michael stood up, almost throwing Sadie to the floor.

*************************************************************************************************************

Bono placed the receiver down and ran up to his room so his father didn’t see his tears.

He slammed the door and slumped onto his single bed, staring up at the ceiling. She’d called him but there was no way they could meet with Murphy hanging around. He had to talk to the boys, see if between them they could come up with a rescue plan.

If only he could see her, then he remember Michael shouting the church’s name, what was it again…Our lady of something or other.

He flung open his door, running downstairs to his father

“Da, what’s that church in Glasnevin called? Our Lady of something...”

“What on earth do you want to know that for?” Bob looked up from his paper and looked at his son, annoyed because he’d been concentrating on the crossword.

“Someone asked me the other day and I felt an eejit not knowing, that’s all” Bono improvised.

“It’s Dolours , Paul. Our Lady of Dolours, beside the Tolka River and it is built like a pyramid, you know” Bob pleased that his son needed some of his knowledge

“Thanks” Bono wanted to hug and kiss his dad, but the Hewson men didn’t do affection. So he grabbed Bob’s hand and shook it.” I’m going out for a while, I’ll be back later”

“Where are you going now? “ Bob asked, it didn’t bother him but that’s what fathers were meant to say, wasn’t it? “And don’t slam the door!!”

“Out” came Bono’s response as he grabbed his coat from the coat hook and slammed the front door heading off for Glasnevin.

Last edited:
Alisaura said:
If Bono needs a plan, he needs Edge... :yes:

:giggle: You're right though!

OMG, how did I miss chapter 7, and now here's a chapter 8!

This is so tense, Wild, it's driving me crazy. What a tangled mess! I love it. :)

BTW ...
Bono turned to Edge hugging him, “I love you Edge”, then after a brief moment, “I mean like brotherly love”
:grumpy: Shucks! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom