Parents And Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
My Mother is so funny sometimes..the other day in the car she said to me "now that's that John Mayer" (it was that song of his "Bigger Than My Body"). She always tells me that she loves his song "Your Body Is A Wonderland", and she asked me if that was the same guy. Then she proceeds to say "well, wasn't his name John Mayer Mellencamp" ? :lol: I'm still laughing over that one...

She's all proud of herself when a Coldplay song comes on..she says "that's that Coldplay" , so I of course told her about Gwyneth, etc :D Of course she knows all about U2 :wink:

So how clueless/not clueless are your parents about music?

My mom is really into music, I don't think I would have ended up as big a music lover if it wasn't for my mom. She's hugely into The Beatles and also introduced me to Rod Stewart, Donovan, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones and on and on. She went through my brother and my metal phase with us, so totally digs Aerosmith, ACDC, Guns n Roses, Motley Crue. Of newer artists she likes Blink 182 and Fountains of Wayne. And she loves Eddie Vedder, she thinks he's the best boy in the world.

My mom twists U2 and the Backstreet Boys.

She heard Justin timberlake on the radio and said 'isn't this your Gavin guy?' :eek::banghead:

FallingStar said:
My mom twists U2 and the Backstreet Boys.

She heard Justin timberlake on the radio and said 'isn't this your Gavin guy?' :eek::banghead:

That's okay, last night my mom said she didn't even know who U2 were :banghead:

I love my mom, but really what can I expect? Looking through her old records, I once found a copy of "Richard Chamberlain Sings!" :lol:

My mother's totally into jazz, and my dad's totally into classical, especially opera. She knows U2 is "that Irish band that you like" and Bono is the "guy who talks about AIDS" (she thinks that's pretty cool, actually) but she wouldn't know them if it was "Pride" EBTTRT, or whatever the classic you pick.:sigh: :sigh:

verte76 said:
My mother's totally into jazz, and my dad's totally into classical, especially opera. She knows U2 is "that Irish band that you like" and Bono is the "guy who talks about AIDS" (she thinks that's pretty cool, actually) but she wouldn't know them if it was "Pride" EBTTRT, or whatever the classic you pick.:sigh: :sigh:

Has your dad heard any of the songs that Bono did with Pavorotti? :)

My 'rents are into older music, for instance Marvin Gaye/Motown artists. But my mom is also into current female singers like Norah Jones, dad on the other had likes Backstreet boys and Nsync and Slutney(thats what he calls her) and "The Queen of Slut" aka Madonna. They both definately know who U2 is (hell the better they went to a U2 show :laugh: )

kellyahern said:

Has your dad heard any of the songs that Bono did with Pavorotti? :)

No. He has *no* idea who Bono is. He's the archetypically spaced out scientist. I love him but he's nuts. So am I but that's another story.:laugh: :laugh:

My dad is totally wrong about U2... for all he knows they're a bunch of devil worshippers. He's never been into rock, except for The Beatles which he kinda likes... Everything outside of latin or instrumental music is noise for him.

My mom is not into music, except for those easy listening Latin stations which play Julio Iglesias, Ricky Martin, Chayanne and stuff like that... :eek: But she thinks Bono is a hottie and has even told me she'd go to a U2 concert with me if they came to Puerto Rico.

My dad is all about classic oldies and classic rock. He's a CSNY-John Mellencamp-The Doors-CCR kinda guy. He thinks Bruce Springsteen is a rip off of Mellencamp. He tolerates an acceptable amount of U2 and his favorite is Rattle & Hum (especially the gospel ISHFWILF).

My mom likes oldies and a lot of (really good) lesser known folk-acoustic rock-worldy kind of stuff. She listens to our local public radio station where the DJs are all volunteers and have GREAT tastes in music. Since it's public radio, they can play whatever they want and there's no commercials. My mom's not a real big U2 fan and often lets me know, but she's starting to back off. She watched Slane on TV with me and liked it enough to watch more than five songs (this is unheard of for my mom).

I've also converted my 14 year old sis and my boyfriend's over-50 year old dad into moderate U2 fans. My sis bought the new Best Of and a fender electric guitar with all of her paper route money, and my boyfriend's dad loves all the U2 albums and bootlegs I copy for him. His mom likes the songs with Bono & Pavarotti.

My mom listens good music, music that I like... Queen and Led Zeppelin principally, my dad is more hippy, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, among others, thanks to it I grew up with good music around me, both like U2, but my mother listens them more (because I don't live with my dad) ... in short, they are cool :yes:

Considering my dad works in radio, he can't be clueless about music. :D. In fact, he's a music expert, it seems. You can ask him any question regarding an artist of any genre, and he'll tell you the answer. He loves studying music history-we have a Top 40 book and a rock and roll encyclopedia in our house.

My mom's not clueless, either. Both my parents have been playing music in our house since the day I was born, pretty much, and grew up listening to all kinds of stuff. :).

They both love the classic rock and oldies the most (my mom in particular loves oldies-her favorite band is the Monkees. My dad's is the Stones), but they love a lot of the more recent stuff, too (my mom likes "No Such Thing" by John Mayer).

And while my mom's not a diehard U2 fan, she does know who they are (thanks to me, hehe), and likes some of their songs (she likes "Angel Of Harlem", just like me).

And my dad? He loves U2's music. He's liked them ever since the beginning. Thinks they're one of the best bands ever.

*:hug:s to my parents*

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

And my dad? He loves U2's music. He's liked them ever since the beginning. Thinks they're one of the best bands ever.

*:hug:s to my parents*

Angela

Aww, that's so great! I've always wished I could share my love for U2 with my dad. :sigh:

My mom has cool musical tastes... she likes a bit of everything but won't listen to teen pop, rap (though she told me the other day she does like some of Eminem's stuff) or real heavy metal. She likes DMB a lot. She listens to the local alt-rock radio station here...she knew who Good Charlotte was before I did! :lol: And on a recent road trip, she wanted to listen to my White Stripes CD. Although I wouldn't call her a fanatic like myself, she does like U2 and will listen to them and sing along sometimes... she even has her own copy of ATYCLB! :D

My stepdad has cool musical tastes too. He likes U2 and actually, he's the one who got me tickets to my first U2 show. I've seen the Zoo and Elevation tours with him. He likes their earlier stuff (it's what he grew up with as a teen) more than their more recent stuff. He doesn't really get into Pop. It's really funny to see him break out into dance when they play an oldie like NYD or IWF at a show! :cute:

neither of my parents were u2 fans before i was...but now they are. my mother is so cute...she likes a lot of their stuff and sings along harmony to songs like ishfwilf. she loves the joshua tree and atyclb (of course) but she loves all the songs i do too cause she hears them more than once...so basically she loves most of their stuff.

my dad is getting to be a rather big fan. i've bought him uf, the new best of, and rattle and hum, and he bought himself jt. when i was making myself a u2 shirt, he asked me to make him one...i ended up making him 2 and he loves both of them. he even came down to chicago with me to see elevation usa, and LOVED it. he is thirsting for u2 knowledge...he'll start talking to me about them and say a few facts and i'll say "dad, i know..." and he'll reply "yeah...but i want you to know that i do too". :cute:. he is also the one who goes through our newspaper every day and if he finds anything u2 (even an ad for a cd) he'll clip it for me. he stole edge's wedding pictures out of a magazine from the autobody shop for me!

my parents and i went to the rock hall this summer to see the u2 exhibit. mind you, i'd already seen it twice at the fan celebrations, but i suggested (and they agreed) that they'd enjoy it too. and they really did! they watched part of the making of the jt and the last 8 or so songs of zoo sydney on the big screen. and they each had their own interpretation of rtss from it too. they really did enjoy it.

i love having parents that like u2. i mean, my mother thinks the male action hero role model u2 dolls are hilarious! and the menu i made with some u2 midwest people...my dad gave some suggestions for it. they totally are cool with my craziness and it is wonderful. i mean, they let me drive their car to nebraska to see bono...along with about 20 other road trips i've made...

i :heart: my parents...

btw, they for the most part like my other bands too...my mom likes jeff buckley and i bought her one of sigur ros' albums for her birthday. my dad is a bit more u2 focused.

Damn, I have to say that sometimes I hate being the only U2 fan in my family! I'd love to be able to share the love.........and I can't. It's not a huge deal, I'm completely free to do my fan stuff, including making all of these trips to see them, the exhibit in Cleveland, etc, etc, post notes on Interference (although my Snapfish collection is currently a secret, my family thinks I'm posting pix of churches, castles, mosques and such) no one picks on me for this. But still I have this little wish.........it'd be fun if there was another fan in the family, ya know?

I'm the mom and what I say, goes!!! :lol: I'm 51, my daughter is 32 ... we both love U2 and she was just totally pissed at me when I got to see them at Notre Dame, 10/01. She lives in Florida. I told her next time they tour and they're in Florida, I'm coming down to see them with her. Think Bono would react to a "Mom & Daughter want a dance?" I'm a young 51, BTW. Thinking I'm probably the age of most of your mothers. I have a great appreciation for 80's music, thanks to my daughter; and she knows the Stones, Beatles, etc. from me.

swandiver said:
I'm the mom and what I say, goes!!! :lol: I'm 51, my daughter is 32 ... we both love U2 and she was just totally pissed at me when I got to see them at Notre Dame, 10/01. She lives in Florida. I told her next time they tour and they're in Florida, I'm coming down to see them with her. Think Bono would react to a "Mom & Daughter want a dance?" I'm a young 51, BTW. Thinking I'm probably the age of most of your mothers. I have a great appreciation for 80's music, thanks to my daughter; and she knows the Stones, Beatles, etc. from me.

Aww, that's so cool! Yeah, I think Bono would go for that! :wink:

Welcome, btw!

Swandiver, just from what I've seen with Bono and the way he acts on stage, I'm sure he'd find a way to incorporate a mother-daughter dance into the concert. :). That'd be awesome if that happened to you guys (by the way, I understand your daughter's pain...only not for U2, but for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. My dad got to see them a good, what, 8 to 10 years back, and granted, I hadn't been a fan of them at that time, but still...he got to see them live and I didn't! No fair! *Pouts*).

Stories for Boys said:
neither of my parents were u2 fans before i was...but now they are. my mother is so cute...she likes a lot of their stuff and sings along harmony to songs like ishfwilf. she loves the joshua tree and atyclb (of course) but she loves all the songs i do too cause she hears them more than once...so basically she loves most of their stuff.

my dad is getting to be a rather big fan. i've bought him uf, the new best of, and rattle and hum, and he bought himself jt. when i was making myself a u2 shirt, he asked me to make him one...i ended up making him 2 and he loves both of them. he even came down to chicago with me to see elevation usa, and LOVED it. he is thirsting for u2 knowledge...he'll start talking to me about them and say a few facts and i'll say "dad, i know..." and he'll reply "yeah...but i want you to know that i do too". :cute:. he is also the one who goes through our newspaper every day and if he finds anything u2 (even an ad for a cd) he'll clip it for me. he stole edge's wedding pictures out of a magazine from the autobody shop for me!

my parents and i went to the rock hall this summer to see the u2 exhibit. mind you, i'd already seen it twice at the fan celebrations, but i suggested (and they agreed) that they'd enjoy it too. and they really did! they watched part of the making of the jt and the last 8 or so songs of zoo sydney on the big screen. and they each had their own interpretation of rtss from it too. they really did enjoy it.

That's really cool! :up:.

Originally posted by Stories for Boys
i love having parents that like u2. i mean, my mother thinks the male action hero role model u2 dolls are hilarious! and the menu i made with some u2 midwest people...my dad gave some suggestions for it. they totally are cool with my craziness and it is wonderful. i mean, they let me drive their car to nebraska to see bono...along with about 20 other road trips i've made...

i :heart: my parents...

:yes:. So do I. I love it when my dad decides to play music on the computer and he puts in a bunch of U2 songs-some of his absolute favorite songs of theirs are "Discotheque" (he loves the bass at the end of that song, how crazy it gets-he likes to play air bass at that part), "Last Night On Earth", "Electrical Storm" (he just goes on and on about how awesome Bono's voice is on this song and how cool Edge's guitar playing is in it in particular), and "I Will Follow". He also sings along with some of them. And he tells me the story about how the first video he remembered seeing from them was "New Year's Day", and about how, when he used to work at an underground rock station, they'd play all of U2's albums (at the time he worked there, U2'd only had Boy to The Unforgettable Fire come out), or, when he used to be a DJ at bars, he'd play U2 ("I Will Follow" was quite popular there). And he's sat and watched a bunch of my U2 stuff with me and everything.

And my mom will occasionally ask me questions about them, just so she can learn a little more about them. And if she sees any U2-related stuff in her e-mails from these music clubs she's a part of, she forwards it to me and everything, and lets me know of any T.V. appearances of theirs I might not have heard about yet. :hug:.

Your parents sound really cool, Stories. :).

To those of you whose parents do not share your love for U2...maybe one day that'll all change. At least, with some of you, it seems like they're pretty good about your love for the band and everything. :).

Angela

Thanks for the welcome, Kelly!

And Moonlit Angel, I've been to a Tom Petty Concert, too. :yes: It was a great laid-back show, but nothing compared to the U2 concert. Of course, our U2 concert was in a small college basketball arena, 10,000 maximum capacity -- the floor was so small the heart barely fit in it. We were close enough, we never needed to look at the monitors ..... and we had the distinct pleasure of seeing Larry rip his shirt off at the end of the concert (we were behind the stage). He's *white*.:drool:

For that concert, too .. Bono came up to the platform behind the stage to sing Angel of Harlem to us (instead of at the tip of the heart) . He had to call Edge back!

I discovered U2 through my brother in the beginning of the 90's and I discovered The Wallflowers and Bruce Springsteen through my dad. :hug:

btw, my dad told me some days ago that if the next U2 show is not in the city where I live, he would go with me! yay! I knew he was a fan!!

swandiver said:
And Moonlit Angel, I've been to a Tom Petty Concert, too. :yes: It was a great laid-back show, but nothing compared to the U2 concert.

Oh, yeah? Cool. :).

See, my family's not yet gotten a chance to see U2.

However, with this next tour, I'm going to do what I can to go with my family.

Yeah, there's definitely a big difference between the two, just from the concerts I've seen on T.V., but both of them would be great to see, and I hope I get to see them at some point.

Originally posted by swandiver
Of course, our U2 concert was in a small college basketball arena, 10,000 maximum capacity -- the floor was so small the heart barely fit in it. We were close enough, we never needed to look at the monitors ..... and we had the distinct pleasure of seeing Larry rip his shirt off at the end of the concert (we were behind the stage). He's *white*.:drool:

LOL, good deal. :up: :D.

Originally posted by swandiver
For that concert, too .. Bono came up to the platform behind the stage to sing Angel of Harlem to us (instead of at the tip of the heart) . He had to call Edge back!

Aw, neat!

*Would kill to have "Angel Of Harlem" sung to her*...man, I hope if and when I see them they play that song.

Angela

Well my mum listens to everything ....... sometimes I think she does it just to make me and my sister who are at the opposite ends of the music spectrum happy.

My dad on the other hand, listens to 70s stuff which I sometimes like, like PinkFloyd....etc. They're both amazing though! They watched the entire Bono speech with me the other day and were almost into tears. My mum's said after the speech, she'd love to go to one of the concerts with me!! And my dad said..... oh U2 (meaning Bono) in Toronto? why aren't you down there?

:heart: them both!

Back
Top Bottom