Love Rescue Me: Chapter 13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
YAY! It's back! Finally! I have loads of things in store for this fic, so if you're still reading it then thanks and hope you keep enjoying it. There's more to come from 'New York' where they are in this chapter, but it was getting too long so that'll be in the next chapter!

I think it goes without saying that this is complete fiction and I don't own U2 or anything to do with them (unfortunately). Also this chapter contains some strong language and very mild sexual activity. :D

Thanks for reading and do leave a comment if you liked it!

Chapter 13

The New York gigs were proving to be even more exciting than Beth had anticipated. A huge buzz surrounded the band, everyone seemed to be hyped up beyond belief, and Beth was fortunate enough to be in the thick of the action. She started putting in real work, taking photos, scribbling notes, and she loved being able to watch U2, her friends, perform on stage to a crowd that included rather famous people. She felt affection towards the guys, Larry included, though naturally Bono commanded most of her attention. Beth knew it was unprofessional to stare at him so much, but she couldn’t help it. Every time he was near her she felt a thrill surge through her – and still they hadn’t had time to do anything beyond kissing. Kissing Bono was indeed an experience too good to be put into words, so she was hardly complaining, but the ache inside her was becoming stronger and stronger. If only they could do something about it…

The problem was, as U2 were suddenly extremely well-known, everyone wanted a piece of them – and a large piece, at that. The press seemed completely obsessed, reporting trivial pieces of band-related news just for the sake of it. Beth counted her good luck at managing to squeeze in brief interviews with Adam and Edge during the day before the first New York show, but that was not nearly enough to make a book happen. She kept reassuring herself there was plenty of time, yet the fact remained that days were passing at lightning speed and she really needed to start getting organised.

So early on the morning of the second show Beth was at the breakfast table, muttering into her Dictaphone and creating a timetable to work from. Since school she had found using a proper plan the best way to get things done, and there was no reason to deviate from that strategy now.

Oh, apart from this reason… Beth smiled, without looking up, as Bono took the seat beside hers and kissed her temple. “Good morning, love.”

“Hey.” She continued writing until she felt a chin on her shoulder, making her smile wider. “You’re distracting me.”

“I haven’t even started yet.” The naughtiness in Bono’s voice was impossible to ignore, and Beth gave in. She looked at him, the way he was pretending to be innocent, his hair off his face and his jaw freshly shaved, and thought maybe she fell a little more in love with him. She opened her mouth to say something, she didn’t know what, probably nonsense, and was stopped by a searing kiss that made her want to abandon plans and gigs and life and let him take her upstairs. They hadn’t seen each other properly the day before, what with all the band’s promo and the gig and everything, and it was enough to drive Beth crazy.

“Mmm…” Bono drew back and grinned. “So what are you up to here?”

It was amazing how quickly Beth had forgotten what she was doing, and it took her a second or two to get back to normal. Really, being around him makes me go all strange. “I’m drawing up a little schedule to help me get the book done. I can’t procrastinate any longer. I need to do lots more photos, and tour information, maybe I’ll ask Edge for that… I still need to interview Larry. And you.” She was unable to resist shifting closer as she spoke the last words, and again their mouths met for a hot, verbose kiss.

“You can interview me in private,” Bono said in a low voice, smirking as Beth shivered. “Maybe in bed. I’ll answer anything you ask, Beth…” He kissed her again, this time adding a nibble and making her moan quietly. There was no way of knowing if they would have actually abandoned breakfast altogether (though Beth was certain it was on the cards) as they were interrupted, quite loudly, by other people arriving at the table. Beth was a little embarrassed when she and Bono broke apart to see Adam smiling at them.

“Don’t let me stop you,” he said cheerfully, lighting a cigarette as he sat further down the table.

“We won’t,” Bono called back, before pressing a firm kiss to Beth’s forehead. “Later, love. Later we’ll finish this.” With a wink he left the restaurant and Beth was left with the futile task of trying to concentrate on work – but how could she when Bono’s seductive promise lingered in her mind?

Later…

Cara finished reading the article and felt ever so slightly nauseous. Not that she knew this girl Jennifer, but it didn’t seem fair to pronounce her a ‘thief and liar’ in the pages of a popular newspaper. All Cara wanted, really, was to get back with Adam; upsetting people in the process hadn’t been part of her plan. The problem was this was all Alex’s idea. He was convinced that revenge on Elizabeth, his ex, was the only aim worth pursuing. He didn’t seem to realise how uncomfortable Cara was with the way it was going.

I guess I’ll have to tell him straight…

She placed the copy on his desk and he looked at her expectantly. “Well?”

“Don’t you think this is a bit… I don’t know… exploitative?” Cara ventured, trying to sound casual, as if this was just a random thought she’d just had. “We don’t even know if Jennifer is friends with U2. She might do their clothes and leave them to it. And the woman I spoke to at the beauty salon said she was actually a nice girl.”

Alex shrugged. “Probably is. Who cares? Listen, Cara, you’ve got to learn that no one gets anywhere in this game by being nice. I bet you anything Jennifer Atwood is at this moment sneaking her way into a U2 bed. Might be Adam’s. And she’s not going to care about you.”

“Might not be Adam’s,” Cara countered, in the interests of fairness, although having known all of U2 pretty well for a few years, she was aware Adam was the most likely to be interested. Larry took a lot longer than that to trust anybody, and Edge was married. Bono was a possibility, of course, one that Cara clung onto desperately.

Alex looked at her as if she was stupid. “You keep telling yourself that. I’m going ahead with this whatever you think. Elizabeth humiliated me and I’m not letting that pass. If doing this helps to upset her, so be it.” He started calling people in New York about the article, as he hoped to have it printed there the following day. Cara got up from her seat and stared out of the window at the city beyond, feeling guilty. Alex had somehow discovered Jennifer had stolen a couple of items from the beauty salon she worked in the year before, and then asked Cara to call them for information. Wrapped in confusing thoughts of Adam, Cara had managed to do it by acting as if she was an ex-client of Jennifer’s, but it hadn’t felt good. Okay, Cara wasn’t squeaky clean and she’d done her fair share of manipulating people, yet something about this really bothered her. Maybe it’s because I understand what it’s like to be abused just for being a famous person’s girlfriend.

Maybe it’s because Alex is insane.

The thought occurred to Cara that she now had access to the names of U2’s hotels, so she could easily find out where Adam was going to be. She didn’t actually need Alex and she certainly didn’t want him. All she had to do was write down the important information when he was out of the room.

Fortunately that chance came before too long when Alex went out to the toilet. As soon as he was away, she grabbed a pen and paper and began scribbling down hotels, phone numbers, dates, for at least the next two weeks. Exhilarated by her actions, and by the idea of seeing Adam again, she spotted the copy of the article about Jennifer lying on the desk. As far as Cara was aware, this was the only copy so far and she hadn’t seen Alex fax it to anyone yet… She grabbed it and stuffed it into her bag along with the hotel notes and twenty dollars she found under the article before leaving as fast as her legs would carry her. She’d got as far as the bottom of the stairs when she heard an angry shout.

“Hey! Cara! What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Alex was leaning over the rail, his face contorted in fury. “You took that article!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she shouted back, opening the front door quickly. Could he get violent? She didn’t want to find out.

“You’ll pay for this, you stupid bitch!” was Alex’s parting shot before Cara dashed out of the building and ran as fast as she could in high heels towards the city centre, the hotel and, eventually, Adam.

It took Jen about ten seconds after waking to realise she wasn’t alone. To her mingled shock and delight, she turned her head and saw Edge on the other side of the double bed, still fast asleep. He was turned towards her, his mouth slightly open and his hair tangled, having come loose from its knot. Jen was relieved to note he was wearing the clothes he’d been in last night when the band and crew had gone out, and similarly she was still in her dress; only their shoes were cast aside. She remembered them coming back to the hotel, her crying a little about her parents, him comforting, leading her to her room where he stayed beside her, talking for ages, until she drifted off.

Now, watching him, Jen smiled. It was almost ridiculous how much she liked him; the sensation of it made her feel giddy, even while she knew it was wrong to want a married man. I can’t believe I’m thinking this, but it doesn’t seem to matter any more. Right now, we’re together and there’s no one to stop me kissing him.

She was right, and yet she didn’t move. Having the chance to look at him properly was good enough for her, and she took it while she could. With her eyes she traced every visible feature of his face, including those beautiful cheekbones, and then studied further down his body. She loved that he was so slender and gentle, as if he couldn’t hurt a fly, while at the same time he was strong and talented and funny, someone she always felt safe around.

It was no use. Jen couldn’t limit herself to observation any longer. Pushing up onto one elbow, she leaned closer, hovering above him, and then pressed a kiss to his jaw. Another followed, to below his ear, and a third settled on his temple. Jen felt him breathe in sharply and knew he was awake; she brushed another kiss to his forehead as his fingers found hers and they linked hands over his heart.

“Jen,” he said, though it came as barely a whisper, just a breath, and she said “Shh,” before kissing his nose, shifting a little, resting on top of him. She waited, her mouth inches from his; his eyes were open, dancing, inviting. “I don’t know,” she said quietly, realising exactly what she was doing and what the repercussions might be. “What if this isn’t right?”

Edge seemed to be thinking along the same lines. How could he not, when he had a wife back in Ireland? The poor woman, Jen thought without meaning to. I’m sorry for her, sorry I’ve turned into a homewrecker, sorry I’ve fallen for her husband, a man I can’t ignore, no matter how I try.

“It feels right,” Edge replied at last. “It does, Jen. I know I’m doing a terrible thing. It’s adultery, it’s cheating… But fuck, I’m in love with you.” His words sounded as if they were burning, and Jen couldn’t move. She was going to cry and by the looks of things, maybe he was, too. What was she doing, putting him in this position, making everything worse?

“I’m sorry,” she began, wondering if she had the strength to go. And then Edge took the decision right out of her hands; he kissed her. His free hand was on the back of her head, in her hair, and she was pulled so tightly to him she could hardly draw breath. The kiss was hot and wet and passionate and demanding, the weeks of pent-up desire surging forth in them both, and in the midst of it all Jen knew she was kidding herself if she thought she could ever walk away from him.

Edge slid a hand down her back, under the thin material of her dress, the places his fingers touched scalding her. Jen moaned into his mouth and parted her legs a little so she could straddle his thighs. She dragged one hand through his hair, the other making short work of his shirt buttons until the garment was all but off. Edge kissed away from her mouth, down her throat; she rocked against him a little and whimpered as his hand moved from her back to her front and gently cupped her breast. Before she knew where she was he’d slid down the straps of her dress and was kissing her there, his stubble scratching her deliciously, making her mumble his name. She brought his mouth back to hers and they kissed, rather frantically this time, as he rolled her over, onto her back, and allowed her to feel what she had been dreaming of: the weight of him on top of her.

“I think…” She gasped as his hand slid slowly up the inside of her leg. “I think I’m in love with you, too.”

There was just time for her to appreciate the wonderful smile Edge responded with, before a knock at the door roused them both from their private little world.

“Edge?” It was Larry, sounding rather annoyed. “Aislinn’s on the phone.”

Jen froze, stunned by the reminder of Edge’s wife’s name. She had a name, of course; she was a real person, with real feelings, and in that moment Jen was hit by the enormity of what she was doing. She pulled up her dress and Edge seemed to be thinking along the same lines, buttoning his shirt quickly. When Jen opened the door to let Larry in, all she got was a quick pat on the arm from Edge before he rushed out. All she was left with was a storm-cloud Larry.

“How did you know he was here?” she asked quietly, closing the door. Larry sighed.

“It was obvious. He’s crazy about you, you do realise that? And Aislinn’s been calling his room with no answer, so she ended up on my line, demanding to know where her husband was.” His angry expression softened as he looked at her. “I understand this is hard, Jen, really. But please don’t get hurt. I actually like you, and there’s not many people I say that about.” He offered the hint of a smile and Jen returned it gratefully.

“I know you’re right. And I also know what a terrible person I am. I mean, I’m doing exactly what my mum had done to her, and she was devastated. I just don’t see how I can stop it from happening, Larry. Edge… he’s all I think about. Well, most of the time. And I want to be with him so badly that sometimes I have to catch my breath.” She flopped down on the rumpled bedspread, her energy and happiness totally deflated. Larry sat next to her.

“Cheating on someone is bullshit,” he proclaimed, making Jen groan. I know that already. I thought he was supposed to be comforting me? “But,” he continued, “so is being miserable. I don’t know. It’s not up to me. Just be careful.” He gave her a quick hug before leaving to get ready for going to the soundcheck.

I make such a mess of my life sometimes. Jen stared down at her hands, remembering how it had felt to press them against Edge’s skin, wondering how on earth she was going to deal with this. And just then he came back into the room, looking pretty unhappy. Jen watched him and realised that no matter what happened now, she couldn’t stop falling for him – and that was going to be a major problem.

“Is everything okay?” she asked at last when he took Larry’s place beside her on the bed. Instinctively she took hold of his hand and was relieved when he didn’t let go.

“I don’t know,” Edge admitted, looking at her. He wants to kiss me, and I wish he would. “Aislinn’s coming over. She wants to work things out with me face-to-face.”

tbc...

Dibs I first post! :rockon:

Crikey! talking about a painful situation! :yikes: Love the built up tensioN!

and go cara for running away from teh creep! :yippie:

glad you're back Kat :hug: I missed you and this story!

Last edited:
NOOOOOO! Edge and Jen are the OTP! His wife can just stay away *makes shooing gestures* (I know, I'm terrible :lol: )

Also, Bono is a evil little elf for being so seductive. And go Cara for making the right decision!

Also, I had missed chapter 12 when it was originally posted, but regarding it, I hope Melody falls down a well!

Back
Top Bottom