I met Bono and his Dad(yeeehaaaaaa)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliTheFOADist

Acrobat
Well it took place on the 27th June 1999, at exactly 1:45pm.
It took place in a small pub in Dalkey, Ireland. I was in the pub with my mam and dad.
I was only 13 at the time, so the whole thing was a bit mad for me.
Anyway, here it goes
There was a football match on in the pub, and my mam said to me 'look at that poser watching the match, pretending he's Bono', and I looked up and thought its just mam being a daft sod again, and didnt think anything of it. So I was watching this man, and he turned around so he was facing me and he was talking to an old man, and well I recognised that sexy mouth straight away. So I was like 'm-m-m-mmmaaaammmmm, IT IS HIM', my knees started to shake really badly, I thought I was gonna pass out. So I draged mam out of her seat and said we have to talk to him.
So we walked over and introduced ourselves, and mam said summit like 'I hope you dont mind the intrusion' and he said 'thats fine', I was just staring and drooooooling at this point.
So we got on conversation and I told him I had a band, and he said 'oh really, what you called?' and I said 'we dont have a name yet'. And then he said, get this 'OK Alison, look at your watch' so I did and he said 'right what time do you make it?' and I replyed 'quarter to two' and he said 'yep its 1:45, and thats what you call your band'. Well I couldent bloody believe it.
Then I was just chatting with Bob and he was asking how old I was, and I told him, and he said 'oh thats great, maybe by the time your 20/21, you'll be making some money.' Bob is just one of the nicest people you could meet, and Bono. I was telling Bono how much I love Adam, cos I was a Sparky girl, back then. And he said 'oh yes Adam, Ive got so much admiration for him, who's the bass player in your band?' And I told him, and he said 'oh well it sounds very good, I'll be watching out for yous'. And then we talked some more about stuff.
Then after that we sat back in our seats, and Bono and Bob went to sit down too.
Then when we were leaving the pub I looked over and waved and Bob shouted 'Bye pet' (awwwww bless him.) And Bono said 'bye bye Alison, and take care', and I was saying 'yeah you too' and I was laughing a bit when I said that:lol: (you too=U2, heheheee). And well I was just gobsmaked for the rest of the day!
Bono was looking soooooo sexy, he was wearing a dark green blazer, black TIGHT t-shirt underneath, just black pants, and his purple glasses, oooooo and I saw his watch when he got it out to tell me its 1:45, and it looked very nice, it was silver and round and do you really want to know this or is it getting a bit tedious?
Tedious or not your getting it:evil: Any ways he had nice black shoes on, and yes, I was totally checking him out, I know all the things he was wearing:wink:

Well thats my story, hope I didnt blabber on too much like a boring sod!

Last edited:
AliTheFOADist said:
Well it took place on the 27th June 1999, at exactly 1:45pm.
It took place in a small pub in Dalkey, Ireland. I was in the pub with my mam and dad.
I was only 13 at the time, so the whole thing was a bit mad for me.
Anyway, here it goes
There was a football match on in the pub, and my mam said to me 'look at that poser watching the match, pretending he's Bono', and I looked up and thought its just mam being a daft sod again, and didnt think anything of it. So I was watching this man, and he turned around so he was facing me and he was talking to an old man, and well I recognised that sexy mouth straight away. So I was like 'm-m-m-mmmaaaammmmm, IT IS HIM', my knees started to shake really badly, I thought I was gonna pass out. So I draged mam out of her seat and said we have to talk to him.
So we walked over and introduced ourselves, and mam said summit like 'I hope you dont mind the intrusion' and he said 'thats fine', I was just staring and drooooooling at this point.
So we got on conversation and I told him I had a band, and he said 'oh really, what you called?' and I said 'we dont have a name yet'. And then he said, get this 'OK Alison, look at your watch' so I did and he said 'right what time do you make it?' and I replyed 'quarter to two' and he said 'yep its 1:45, and thats what you call your band'. Well I couldent bloody believe it.
Then I was just chatting with Bob and he was asking how old I was, and I told him, and he said 'oh thats great, maybe by the time your 20/21, you'll be making some money.' Bob is just one of the nicest people you could meet, and Bono. I was telling Bono how much I love Adam, cos I was a Sparky girl, back then. And he said 'oh yes Adam, Ive got so much admiration for him, who's the bass player in your band?' And I told him, and he said 'oh well it sounds very good, I'll be watching out for yous'. And then we talked some more about stuff.
Then after that we sat back in our seats, and Bono and Bob went to sit down too.
Then when we were leaving the pub I looked over and waved and Bob shouted 'Bye pet' (awwwww bless him.) And Bono said 'bye bye Alison, and take care', and I was saying 'yeah you too' and I was laughing a bit when I said that:lol: (you too=U2, heheheee). And well I was just gobsmaked for the rest of the day!
Bono was looking soooooo sexy, he was wearing a dark green blazer, black TIGHT t-shirt underneath, just black pants, and his purple glasses, oooooo and I saw his watch when he got it out to tell me its 1:45, and it looked very nice, it was silver and round and do you really want to know this or is it getting a bit tedious?
Tedious or not your getting it:evil: Any ways he had nice black shoes on, and yes, I was totally checking him out, I know all the things he was wearing:wink:

Well thats my story, hope I didnt blabber on too much like a boring sod!

:shocked:

Wow...that would have been THE coolest experience!

You are officially the envy of many people now, myself included, do you know that? :).

Great story. You are insanely lucky (and Bono and his dad were really nice to you-that's too cool).

Angela

Hey, dont call yourselves unlucky, you will all meet a member of U2 someday, thats a promise from me:wink: I really want to meet Edge and give him a MASSIVE HUG!!!!I think he might get scared if I pounced on him like that though!

stephannv said:
I am the newest memeber of the "jealous unlucky girls" club! :D

The club is very large, Stephanie. We're getting together for pity and cookies later tonight, if you want to join us.

Oh, yeah, and great story Alison! ;)

AliTheFOADist said:
Hey, dont call yourselves unlucky, you will all meet a member of U2 someday, thats a promise from me:wink: I really want to meet Edge and give him a MASSIVE HUG!!!!I think he might get scared if I pounced on him like that though!

BWAHAHAHHA, You're very positive Ali.
But you never know!
If I ever met one of the guys, "pouncing" would be an understatement!!!!!
:bono: :edge: :larry: :adam: + stephanie= restraining order :macdevil:

Last edited:
stephannv said:

But you never know!

:lol: You goooo girl!!!!!!

Yay!

How great it is that you got to meet Bono's da before he passed away. And, Bono too. :D What a wonderful experience to cherish. Yay!

Yeah, and you can all add me to that Pity Club. :D I'd like to meet Bono... I've missed him twice. I was sooooo sick the last time I was going to meet him and couldn't stand up anymore (I was feverish) and I thought to myself, what the hell am I doing standing out here in the damp, cold air of California... not to mention that if I do stay, not only will I make myself more sick than I already was, but I'd make everyone around me, including Bono, sick. Not a very nice thing to do, huh. So, I went home. Bono showed up 3 hours later. Yeah, I would have been dead by then. Ah, well. One day, I'll be able to meet him. :D

Moonie :D

AliTheFOADist said:
I really want to meet Edge and give him a MASSIVE HUG!!!!I think he might get scared if I pounced on him like that though!

If you get to do that I will turn in to the most green monstrosity anyone has ever seen. ;)
BTW welcome Ali, nice to have another UK PLEBAN about the place. :)

LOL...

stephannv said:
But you never know!

Haha...:lol:.

By the way, stephannv, I like your quote at the bottom of your posts...hehe.

And yes, Ali, you are quite the positive one...hey, I'll be positive, too. :).

Angela

wow! i love reading these stories. Bono is of course awesome and God bless Bob Hewson's soul, he sounded like he was a wonderful man. I just love how Bono makes it a point to remember fan's names(not like your name was hard for him to remember ;) ) and I also love how he interacts with fan's to make them feel comfortable around him. what a wonderful man. :angel: :love:

Yep...

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
wow! i love reading these stories. Bono is of course awesome and God bless Bob Hewson's soul, he sounded like he was a wonderful man. I just love how Bono makes it a point to remember fan's names(not like your name was hard for him to remember ;) ) and I also love how he interacts with fan's to make them feel comfortable around him. what a wonderful man. :angel: :love:

Exactly, MissVelvetDress (and LOL about her name not being hard to remember-hehe).

Angela

OH....MY....GOD.......if i met bono and his dad i wouldn't be able to speak...i'd just stand there going 'umm, err....ummmm...' and drooling......

Back
Top Bottom