.......Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleBono

The Fly
Hey, i dont post on this much (im more of a lurker) but i kind of need a bit of help with something and i thought this was the best place to go lol. I've got a research project to do for sociology and although i had a rough idea of what i was going to do it on, i hadn't really thought of it in great depth. The research project itself is not due in to 11th January, but i have a 5 minute speech tomorrow morning on what i have decided to do it on. I know you may be wondering 'what the hell has this got to do with Bono?', but i'll get to that soon enough ........

My original idea for the project was to look at the role of the media in influencing public opinion, i'd toyed with the idea of looking at the media and its effect on politics, id also considered doing something on advertising and its effects on the public. I'd even considered looking at propaganda in the media but i just couldnt get my act together and decide on what to do.

I'd been sitting for this past 3 hours trying to prepare something for tomorrow, but i wasnt having any luck, until my mum phoned me. And then she suggested it ..... do something about Bono. At first i laughed and thought it was a stupid idea, but the more i think about it the more i want to do it. It combines pretty much all of the above.

The thing is although i know what i want to base my project on, i havent a clue about where i should should start looking for information. Thats where you all come in, i was wondering if you could suggest some websites, books or articles that could provide me with the information i need to do this project.

Im thinking of looking at Bono's (and possibly geldof as well) influence on the media, politicians, the public and U2 fan's. My mum suggested looking at it from the point of view that, in the case of U2 fans especially, Bono is preaching to the converted.

I dont know if any of this makes any sense at all. But i would really appreciate any help and information whatsoever on any of the above. Thanks.

What all does the project involve? Is it a paper/essay? If so, what kind (research, persuasive, argumentative, etc)? What type of course is this for?

I would narrow down a bit more than just "Bono's influence". Luckily, he's so popular and been involved in so many project, you can get really specific and still have a wealth of information available.

In high school and college combined I probably did about 4-6 projects / assignments based on U2, including a college application personal statement about "One." In a speech class in high school, one girl gave a kind of oral history on U2, and I got up after her to correct some things and round some things out...

Do not be ashamed to use a passion for educational applications!

Anyway...I imagine some smart Googling could turn up some Geldof stuff.

Also definitely check news sources like BBC and Washington, DC-based publications for local political goings-on that Bono has been involved in. That way you can make sure not all your sources are slanted in Bono's favor.

I also recommend culling information of Bono's political and social involvements over the course of his career as Bono. If you pick events from just 2000-present, you're not getting the whole history -- and I think that's often why people are very quick to think he's involved with things just because he's famous. But he was moderately involved in things directly and indirectly back in the 1980s -- even things as seemingly little as writing songs, whether rebel songs or not ;) or participating in things like Live-Aid to raise awareness and whatnot.

I know there's a book about U2 and philosophy and a couple about religion / spirituality / God and U2, but I haven't read them. That rhetoric might help inform your points, too.

Sorry I don't have more concrete sources, but those are just some ideas.

Good luck; let us know how it goes!

Thanks for your help, i had to do the talk earlier on my proposal for the research project. To say the lecturer was unimpressed was an understatement. When I said i was planning on doing something to do with third debt and africa, she seemed fine with that, as soon as i mentioned the fact that i'd like to look at Bono's role in making the public aware of the issues, she seemed to change her mind. Turns out she's not too fond of Bono, in fact she made it pretty clear she hates him. Now i respect the fact that not everyone loves Bono as much as i do (or you all for that matter lol) but turning down a research proposal because you dont like Bono is just stupid and childish. She made it pretty clear that was the main reason for turning it down.

Can you write about DATA, (RED), or the One Campaign? Most people that *hate* Bono so much don't even know how involved he is in these organizations (or know what they are). You could write about them and change her mind....

LittleBono said:
Turns out she's not too fond of Bono, in fact she made it pretty clear she hates him. Now i respect the fact that not everyone loves Bono as much as i do (or you all for that matter lol) but turning down a research proposal because you dont like Bono is just stupid and childish. She made it pretty clear that was the main reason for turning it down.

Did you ask her why she doesn't like him? Usually it's ignorance.

You could enlighten her with your paper!

That professor is just plain silly and should be smacked. You're writing a research paper, not asking her to marry the guy. Nobody said you had to like Bono, but ye. Gods. Stop blocking your student!

Isn't "can study and research on something that you don't personally believe is true" one basic academic requirement for researches?

Your lecture is very narrow minded.:(

But I won't encourage you to change her though, it's not your responsibility to broad her mind (and risk your school result ). If she said she doesn't want you do the project because she personally doesn't like Bono, then ask her who is her favorite person, write an assignment about that person, use all the good words, and I bet she'd give you the highest mark of the class, and wouldn't even care if your source was correct.

Last edited:
What never ceases to amaze me, and certainly in Bono's humanitarian causes and approaches he uses this much to his advantage, is that he is so well known in *SO* many different circles. He knows *SO* many influential people-celebrities, royalty, CEO's, world leaders, religious leaders, great scholars, scientists, media personalities, authors, politicians, etc.....the list goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom