Article of Bono in Paris Match in English

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PM: and is this the fury which drives you to do what you are doing??

B: I am full of anger... When i was young, this anger could turn rapildy into violence. Sometimes, even now, i lose control of myself, and it costs me a lot of money anyway!! I have a big degree of tolerance, but if anyboy asks for trouble, he'll get it!! (he craks up laughing)

Last edited:
PM: you are also the biggest lawyer of Africa, and you could just be content with giving money and put your name on a petition... Why did u get involved in such fights??

B: I can't stand injustice. There is an emergency in the world. It is absolutly unacceptable that in Europe and America we have medecine which doesn't cost anything to produce, and that there are still thousands of children and parents dying every day because we don't share this medecine.

no i was still looking for the mag, that's U2AMF who typed the text for me in french!!!

but now i jsut got it!!! so U2AMF, that's okay, don't type anymore!! i found it!!! under the couch!!!

so i keep translating!!

this says a lot about human nature... It is obscene. History will judge us harshly, our children also, and God much more!! We are witenessing a new holocaust and we don't move a bit... The continent is burning and we are standing on the side of the road, like idiots, with a glass of water in the hand to put out the fire...

An American participant at the Congress, who was deported to Auschwitz, told me recently that in the nightmares he had after, he did not see the time he spent there, but the faces of people who looked at the Jews leaving, without batting an eyelid, without even trying to know where they were going to... Us, we know where these children are going to: nowhere. They are just going to die.

This is such a good interview. Sad stuff though about the children. Bono is so passionate. Thank God for Bono!
Thanks Miss U2 for translating! We will have to put it all together when you are done! :up:

I am going to bring my daughters, Jordan and Eve, 14 adn 12, to Africa soon... My sons, 4 and 2, are too young, but i wanna train them in the world conscience... For the moment, i want my daughters to see how the devil made his best work. How said my friend Bob Geldof: AIDS is medical problem, the reason why people die is a political problem.

PM: Do you remember the exact moment when you thought to yourself: "i really have to do something!" ?

B: In 1984, U2 had taken part in the Live Aid, which collected 200 millions of dollars for the famine in Ethiopia. I found this extraordinary, until the moment i was explained that it was the amout that the Third World paid, every month, to pay back its debt to the rich countries. I was stunned. After that, i went with my wife, during one month, to Ethiopia to work in the refugees camps. I saw with my own eyes for the first time the devastations of the famine, and i have never recovered... I thought that one day, i will find the way to do something. I am not hippy, contrary to what people think, i come from the macadam. When i have an idea, i never give up, until it succeeds. As we say in the Rock n' Roll: "I close a deal", i will fight til the end!!

Last edited:
:applaud:

If anyone in the states finds this mag, I will gladly send you the money & postage to pick one up for me!

sorry it the translation is in pieces...:huh:

there are some parts, i don't even understand in french...just like this one above, about macadam... that's not clear at all, in french, so i think in english, it must be worse...sorry!!!

i just need to eat, and i will be back!!

miss-U2 I put everything you translated together, again THANK YOU! :applaud:

The singer of U2, Bono, was with other stars in Cape town, to the world AIDS day, sponsored by nelson mandela. He wants to make the Occident faced its guilty conscience...
An exclusive interview...

Sunday, the next day after his concert, Bono, one of the most secret rock star, accepted to receive the Paris Match journalists in his bedroom, in the Shearaton Hotel, in Cape town...
Photos Beno?t Gysembergh

From our special reporter in Cape town: Dany Jucaud.
Bono, it is first a look. He can see through people. Generous and sensitive, what he shows, it is what HE IS: he doesn't cheat... He is someone good, a rare commodity in this job. He is only surrounded by quality people. Whereas he could wallow in his celebrity...He has the means to do so, after all, he is the biggest rock star in the world. He has chosen to be the voice of those who don't have one...

PM: during the concert, i was looking at you, form backstage...all these thousands of people, applauding you, screaming your name as soon as you appear on stage, is this still doing something to you??

B: if you need, every night, 35,000 people to tell you that they love you to feel normal, you have a big problem!!! The big artists are the most worried people, the most hyper-sensitive people in the world, it is written in our DNA... i have the sensitiveness of a reptile, i am talking to you right now, but i can feel the smaller vibes in this room. i always have a sharp conscience of what is happening around me, as if the danger were going to spring from a door, suddendly!!

PM: you call this sensitiveness?? i call this paranoia...

B: Okay okay, i am paranoid. I am always on the alert, ready to get knocked about, or maybe to be kissed! (he laughs)

PM: Yesterday, when Nelson Mandela made his speech in the yard of the Robben Island jail, where he was imprisoned during 27 years, you were the only one, among all the artists, to be moved to tears

B: i have never been ashamed of showing my feelings... i have an hypersensitivity. Being back there, in this jail yard, i find this deeply moving... I am fascinated by this man. Despite all his humour, his elegant way to be standing up straight, i think to myself that, not for one second, he can't forget that 27 years were stolen from his life...
Mandela, like Kofi Annan, are this kind of men who have a certain grace. The personality who had the greatest impact on me is the arch-bishop Desmond Tutu. He is haunted by Gospel. Tutu gets the laughter, which is for me, the quite obviousness of the freedom...

PM: you are really kind, you pay attention to everybody in the world, always available... For the biggest rock star in the world, i think you are unusually normal!

B: i am always fighting against my selfishness. Artists are people fundamentally selfish, and i don't escape from this rule... In our job, we quickly become obsessed with ourselves, we are a little too fond of number one. The celebrity has something ridiculous, but i admit it is a good bargaining counter. I am glad to use it for good causes. Let's say that, with the passing of time, i have developed good ways to control the fury which lives inside me...

B: I am full of anger... When i was young, this anger could turn rapildy into violence. Sometimes, even now, i lose control of myself, and it costs me a lot of money anyway!! I have a big degree of tolerance, but if anyboy asks for trouble, he'll get it!! (he craks up laughing)

PM: you are also the biggest lawyer of Africa, and you could just be content with giving money and put your name on a petition... Why did u get involved in such fights??

B: I can't stand injustice. There is an emergency in the world. It is absolutly unacceptable that in Europe and America we have medecine which doesn't cost anything to produce, and that there are still thousands of children and parents dying every day because we don't share this medecine.
this says a lot about human nature... It is obscene. History will judge us harshly, our children also, and God much more!! We are witenessing a new holocaust and we don't move a bit... The continent is burning and we are standing on the side of the road, like idiots, with a glass of water in the hand to put out the fire...
An American participant at the Congress, who was deported to Auschwitz, told me recently that in the nightmares he had after, he did not see the time he spent there, but the faces of people who looked at the Jews leaving, without batting an eyelid, without even trying to know where they were going to... Us, we know where these children are going to: nowhere. They are just going to die.
I am going to bring my daughters, Jordan and Eve, 14 adn 12, to Africa soon... My sons, 4 and 2, are too young, but i wanna train them in the world conscience... For the moment, i want my daughters to see how the devil made his best work. How said my friend Bob Geldof: AIDS is medical problem, the reason why people die is a political problem.

PM: Do you remember the exact moment when you thought to yourself: "i really have to do something!" ?

B: In 1984, U2 had taken part in the Live Aid, which collected 200 millions of dollars for the famine in Ethiopia. I found this extraordinary, until the moment i was explained that it was the amout that the Third World paid, every month, to pay back its debt to the rich countries. I was stunned. After that, i went with my wife, during one month, to Ethiopia to work in the refugees camps. I saw with my own eyes for the first time the devastations of the famine, and i have never recovered... I thought that one day, i will find the way to do something. I am not hippy, contrary to what people think, i come from the macadam. When i have an idea, i never give up, until it succeeds. As we say in the Rock n' Roll: "I close a deal", i will fight til the end!!

miss-U2 said:

I can understand that.

The thing is, though, he'll only go after people who deserve that anger. Some people just get all angry with anyone, sometimes for no reason. But not him.

I'm glad he has that anger and that intolerance for injustice in the world. Keep on fighting, Bono-you have our total support!

Thanks again, miss-U2! :hug:.

Angela

PM: Do you never have doubts??

B: yes, about me!! But never about what i want to do. We were 15 when we started our band, at the very back of the North of Ireland. When i was saying: "one day, we will as big as the Beatles and the Who", everybody was laughing at me. My imagination has no limit. When i thought we could start this new century by cancelling the Third World debt, i didnot see what was extraordinary in that.

PM: You are either mad or reckless, maybe even both. Anyway, nothing seems impossible for you!

B: Nothing! But at the same time, i am very pragmatic. My chance is that i see less difficulty than most of the people, it must come from my personality of short-sighted. If i were conscient of the problems i would have to faced in the future, i would be paralysed. I am saved by my innocence. I found a few days ago a picture of me taken at my beginnings. I was shocked by the expression of my face: i was open, totally trustful.

PM: What would you say to this young man now?

B: i would say he is right! i reject suspicion. There is something really powerful in naivety. I had wanted, like everybody, at one point, to get rid of this innocence so i did all the experiences possible. It took me a long time before realising that actually it was where my strenght lay.

miss-U2! After all your hard work looks like another translation has hit the internet... from atU2....
But again, we all THANK YOU for all your work translating this!!!:bow:

Bono Goes to War Against AIDS
12/4/03 Paris Match

U2?s singer was in Cape Town with other stars for the World AIDS Day [concert] sponsored by Nelson Mandela. He wants to bring the West face to face with its guilty conscience. An exclusive interview.

Sunday, the day after his concert, Bono, one of the more private rock stars, agreed to receive Paris Match reporters in his room at the Cape Town Sheraton. From our special correspondent in Cape Town, Dany Jucaud.

The thing about Bono is his gaze. He sees through people. Generous and sensitive, what he shows is what he is: he doesn?t cheat. He?s a good person, a rare commodity in this profession. The only people around him are quality people. And while he could be wallowing in his celebrity ? he?s got the means ; after all he is the biggest rock star in the world ? instead he?s chosen to be the voice of those who have no means at all.

Paris Match. During the concert I was watching you from the wings. These thousands of people who applaud you, who scream your name as soon as you come onstage, does that still do anything for you ?

Bono. If you need 35,000 people every night telling you they love you to feel normal, you?ve got a hell of a problem. The great artists are the most troubled and hypersensitive people in the world. It?s written into our DNA. I have the sensitivity of a reptile. Right now I?m talking to you, but I feel the tiniest vibrations in this room. I?m always acutely aware of what?s going on around me, as if all of a sudden danger would burst in the door.

PM. You call that sensitivity; I?d call it paranoia.

Bono. OK, I?m paranoid. I?m always on the alert, ready to get hit or maybe, who knows, to be kissed. [laughs]

PM Yesterday when Nelson Mandela delivered his speech in the Robben Island prison courtyard, where he was held for 27 years, you were the only one of all the artists who had tears in your eyes.

Bono. I?ve never been ashamed of showing my emotions. I?m very easily moved. I was bowled over, finding myself in that prison courtyard. This man fascinates me. In spite of his humor, the elegant way he always stands up straight, I have the idea that he can?t forget, not for a second, that they stole 27 years of his life from him. Mandela, like Kofi Annan, is one of those man who have a certain grace. The person who has affected me the most is the archbishop, Desmond Tutu. He is inhabited by the Gospel. Tutu?s got the laugh which for me is the real evidence of liberty.

PM. You?re a person of unbelievable kindness, attentive to everyone, always available. For the biggest rock star in the world, you seem abnormally normal to me!

Bono. I?m constantly battling my egotism. Artists are fundamentally egotistical people, and I?m no exception to that rule. In our profession, you get obsessed by your own self pretty fast. Celebrity is ridiculous, but I realize that it?s good currency. I?m happy to use mine for good reasons. Let?s just say that over time I?ve developed good ways to manage the rage inside me.

PM. Is it rage that makes you do what you do?

Bono. I have a lot of anger in me. What I was young that rage could turn into violence fast. It still happens to me sometimes - I lose control - and it costs me a fortune, I might add. I?ve got a whole lot of tolerance, but don?t push me too far. [bursts out laughing]

PM. You?re also Africa?s greatest advocate, and you could content yourself with giving money, signing a petition. Why did you launch into a battle like this?

Bono. I can?t stand injustice. There?s an emergency in the world. It is completely unacceptable that in Europe and America we have drugs that cost almost nothing to make, and there are hundreds of thousands of children and parents who die every day because we aren?t sharing those drugs. That says a lot about human nature. It?s obscene. History will judge us harshly, and so will our children, and God even more. We?re present for a new Holocaust and we don?t even budge.

A continent is in flames, and we?re standing on the side of the road, like idiots, with a glass of water in our hands to put out the fire. An American congressman, who was in Auschwitz, recently told me that in the nightmares he had afterwards, what he saw wasn?t the time he spent in the camp, but the faces of people who watched the Jews leave without a murmur, without even trying to find out where they were going. You and me, we know where these children are going. Nowhere. They?re just going to die.

I?m going to take my daughters Jordan (14) and Eve (12) to Africa very soon. My sons, who are 4 and 2, are still too young. But I want to shape them, gently, to be aware of the world. For the moment, I want my daughters to see how the Devil has done his best work. As my friend Bob Geldof says, AIDS is a medical problem, but people are dying because of a political problem.

PM. Do you remember the exact moment you said : I?ve got to do something?

Bono. In 1984 (sic) U2 took part in Live Aid which raised 200 million dollars for the Ethiopian famine. I thought that was extraordinary, until they explained to me that the 3rd world spent that much every month in debt payments to rich countries. I was stunned. After [Live Aid] I spent a month with my wife working in refugee camps in Ethiopia. I saw with my own eyes for the first time the ravages of famine and I?ve never gotten over it. I promised myself that one day I?d find a way to do something. I?m not a hippie, unlike what people think ; I come from the streets. When I get an idea in my head, I won?t let go of it until I?ve seen it through. As we say in rock and roll, ?I close a deal.?

PM: You have no doubts ?

Bono: Yes ! I doubt myself, all the time ! But I never doubt what I want to do. We were 15 years old when we started our band out in the middle of nowhere in the north of Ireland. When I would say ?One day we?ll be as big as the Beatles or the Who,? everyone made fun of me. My imagination has no limits. When I got the idea that we couldn?t start this new century without getting 3rd world debt cancelled, I just couldn?t see what was supposed to be so extraordinary about that.

PM: You?re either crazy, or unthinking, or maybe even both. When it comes down to it, you think nothing?s impossible?

Bono. Nothing! But at the same time I?m a real pragmatist. Luckily I see fewer obstacles than most people do. It must come from my myopic personality. If I thought about the problems I?ll have to confront in the future, I?d be paralyzed. It?s my innocence that saves me. A while ago at an exposition, I happened by chance on a photo of me taken when I was just starting out. I was struck by the expression on my face: I was open, totally trusting.

PM. What would you say to that young man now?

Bono: I?d tell him he?s right. I refuse mistrust. There?s something very powerful in innocence. At one point, like everybody, I wanted to get rid of that innocence, so I tried every possible experience. It took me a very long time to recognize that in fact it was where my power lay.

PM. From leaders to famous economists, you?re best friends with the world?s greats. Does it ever happen, when you?re face to face with one of them, that you think, ?What on earth am I doing? I?m not up to this??

Bono. I don?t go see these people in my name, I just represent the voice of those without one. I go to bed every night with reports from the World Bank. Believe me, I know my stuff. No President, French or American, has ever intimidated me. Far from it, they?re the ones who should be intimidated! [laughs, then turns serious] It?s the people in power who one day, will have to give an account. I can read it in their eyes, some of them, the first time they see me. ?Who?s this weirdo, where?s this guy from anyway ?? Being an exotic animal is an advantage; they give you access -- until they regret it. The most important thing is looking them in the eye.

PM. You don?t speak just for Ireland or Africa, but in the name of humanity. Don?t you ever think that for most politicians, their own political survival is more important than the survival of humanity?

Bono. Sure I?ve noticed that. All the time. That?s why politicians advance their ideas with so much more passion in private. But it?s not stopping me.

PM. Artists are more powerful than presidents these days. Will they be the next politicians?

Bono: Art and politics go hand in hand in Ireland, a country that?s been run by poets, madmen, and alcoholics. I?m a free man and I plan on staying that way, because I want to be able to say what I like.

PM. At the G8 in Evian, Jacques Chirac announced that the French would triple their contribution to the Global Fund. Did he keep his promises?

Bono. I think he will keep them. I believe him to be a very stubborn man, who must be tough to budge if he doesn?t want to do something. But I got the sense he was really sincerely concerned about the topic of AIDS in Africa. He?ll do it if only for his political legacy.

PM. Everything?s been said and written about AIDS already. How can you still find persuasive words?

Bono. The most powerful argument is to say ?what?s going to happen if you don?t come to the aid of all these people? How are you going to live with it personally? What will happen when a third of the world scorns you? The chance to provide AIDS drugs can do a lot for us politically. We can change the opinion people have of us. Think about it.?

PM. You have faith. How do you know God exists?

Bono. The Bible is my bedside reading. That said, I?ve always thought the important thing was not to know if I believe in God or not, but to know if God believes in me. I take my kids to Mass, but when it?s too boring, I?m embarrassed, because I don?t want them to think going to sleep in church is the normal thing. One day, one of the priests talked about football in his sermon and I saw stars in their eyes.

PM. Everyone knows who you are, but when you come down to it people know very little about you. What would they be surprised to learn?

Bono. Only people who know my music well really know who I am. I say it all in my songs. I?m well known, but I?m not a celebrity and I have no investment at all in becoming one. The paparazzi aren?t interested in me because my life is completely banal.

PM. Where does the rosary you wear around your neck come from?

Bono. The Pope gave it to me on my last visit. As a trade, I gave him my sunglasses.

I know miss-U2, it saddened me too to see it there.... but I thought I had to post it, atleast you don't have to do the rest...
And you have no idea how much we appreciated your hard hard work! :up:

U2SJ said:
PM: You?re either crazy, or unthinking, or maybe even both. When it comes down to it, you think nothing?s impossible?

Bono. Nothing! But at the same time I?m a real pragmatist. Luckily I see fewer obstacles than most people do. It must come from my myopic personality. If I thought about the problems I?ll have to confront in the future, I?d be paralyzed. It?s my innocence that saves me. A while ago at an exposition, I happened by chance on a photo of me taken when I was just starting out. I was struck by the expression on my face: I was open, totally trusting.

PM. What would you say to that young man now?

Bono: I?d tell him he?s right. I refuse mistrust. There?s something very powerful in innocence. At one point, like everybody, I wanted to get rid of that innocence, so I tried every possible experience. It took me a very long time to recognize that in fact it was where my power lay.

:hug:...it's that optimism-the optimism that we can overcome obstacles like apathy and corruption and whatnot-I just love that. I know I've said that a lot lately, but this is just reinforcing that. With all the discussions I've had with my parents as of late about society in general in regards to this problem and the problems here at home and the way politicians are...it makes me seem crazy to remain optimistic, but I still am, and I'm so glad to find someone else (along with those of you who I know here) who hasn't gone all cynical yet.

The rest of the article that I hadn't read yet was cool, too (particularly the part about the rosary...that's pretty neat).

And miss-U2, you had no idea that atu2 was going to have this up so soon. You did what you could, and once again, we thank you greatly. :hug:.

Angela

miss-U2 said:
no i was still looking for the mag, that's U2AMF who typed the text for me in french!!!

but now i jsut got it!!! so U2AMF, that's okay, don't type anymore!! i found it!!! under the couch!!!

so i keep translating!!

Hey! I'm glad you found the mag! Thank you very much for the translation! :bow: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom