Adam and Lucy - Chapter 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reggo

Blue Crack Addict
Here you go! Trust me, things DO brighten up for Adam, and soon! :wink:

Disclaimer: Not true, never happened, never met the band, it's fiction.

Note: All throughout U2 by U2, Adam refers to The Edge as Dave, so I thought I'd use the words he uses.

Enjoy!

-----
I buckle Stacie into her car seat, tuck a blanket in over her, then put on my jacket, pick up her bag, and we go out to the car. For all the circus that had been here, only one squad car remains at the far end of the road. I lock the baby's car seat into its base in the back seat and make sure the seat belt is holding everything in tightly. I kiss the top of her head, then set her bag down in the front passenger seat, start the car and drive to the studio for the session. When I walk in with Stacie, conversation stops.

"Brought the baby, Sparks?" Bono asks, staring at me over the top of his sunglasses.

"Yeah," I say quietly. "Lucy... she can't watch her today, so I brought her here. She still sleeps a lot so I'll keep her in the booth with Brian when she's asleep and when she's awake, I'll have her with me."

"Is something wrong, Adam?" Dave looks at me with concern. I shake my head and put Stacie, sleeping in her car seat, in the booth with her bag.

"Should we give that new song another go?" I ask, picking up my bass and perching on a stool.

"Are you sure you're alright? You don't look good," Larry says, sitting behind his drums.

"I had a long night. What, because I'm not perfectly primped and polished like you there must be something wrong?" I snap at him, but then regret it.

"Well, excuse me, Mr. Clayton," Larry folds his arms.

"I'm sorry. A long night's bled into a long morning," I shake my head. "Anyway, the new song. Shall we give it a go?"

"Okay, if Lardence can get it right this time," Bono says.

"Not again," Dave whispers and sets down his guitar.

"Me? You're the one messing up your own bloody lyrics!"

"Enough! I don't want to listen to this idiotic argument for the tenth time. Larry, play what we agreed on yesterday and Bono, get your lyric sheet," I look at them both and Bono pulls the sheet out of his pocket. Larry picks up his drumsticks reluctantly, staring at me. We start another take but my mind wanders and it falls apart. Bono opens his mouth, ready to snap at Larry.

"That was not me! Adam's not playing this song anymore," Larry defends himself. Dave listens for a bit.

"He's playing 'Wake Up Dead Man'," Dave whispers to Bono. I look down at my fingers and stop playing.

Brian's voice comes into the booth. "Adam, she's awake and crying." I put down my guitar and go in the booth. I change her nappy and give her a bottle. She drinks about half before she's asleep again and I set her back in her car seat. When I walk back in the studio, Bono, Dave, and Larry have me cornered.

"Spill. Stacie's here and you're acting worse than Larry," Bono says.

Larry balls up his fist, but Dave grabs his wrist, "Not worth it." Larry yanks his arm out of Dave's grip and folds his arms. "Adam, we all know something's not right. Please talk to us."

"Did you have a drink? Did you and Lucy get in a fight? I mean, what's wrong?" Bono takes off his sunglasses.

"When I woke up this morning, Lucy was gone," I say.

"She left you and the baby? That doesn't sound like her. Do you know where she could have gone?" Dave asks. "Oh, wait."

"No, she didn't leave. I kissed her to wake her up. She's--," I can't say it.

"Oh, shit," Larry closes his eyes.

"I don't get it," Bono stares at me.

"She died, you fucking idiot!" I yell, stand up and walk out of the studio. I have never needed a cigarette as bad I do in this moment. I get outside, light it and sink to the sidewalk. "She died," I repeat in a whisper and completely lose it. Larry and Dave are outside in an instant, joining me on the sidewalk.

"I'm so sorry," Dave says and pats my back.

"What am I gonna do? Stacie needs her mum. I can't raise her on my own," I look at Larry, begging for an answer.

"First, you need to talk to your mates when bad shit happens," Larry says, "but you'll make this work. You'll sort it out."

Bono carries Stacie outside, trying to calm her fussing. "She started screaming about the same time you did," he says, rocking on his feet.

"I'm sorry I snapped," I sniffle and rub my nose.

"Forgiven, forgotten," Bono smiles and successfully calms Stacie down.

"How does he do that?" Larry whispers, Dave shakes his head.

"What do I do now? It's like my brain can't process anything."

"You're going to go home, take care of this beautiful baby, and take some time off to grieve and get things sorted. Albums and songs and tours can wait. Your life is more important than the circus," Dave says. "We could all use a break to clear our heads."

"Do you want a ride home?" Larry offers.

"No, I'm okay. I just need to calm down a bit," I say, standing.

"You're shaking. Don't be so bloody English. I'll drive you home and Bono will drive your car to your place," Larry puts his arm around my shoulders.

"Can I drive the baby?" Bono asks.

"No," Larry, Dave, and I reply in unison. Bono pouts, but drives my car safely home. I tell Larry everything I can remember about what happened this morning so he can tell the others later. He sticks around my place for a while, helping me with the baby and calling Lucy's family and telling them she passed away. Larry leaves before too long and except for Stacie, I'm alone in my house. Even before I met her, this house never felt as cold and empty as it does now.

I thought I'd get used to it after Lucy's funeral, but it doesn't feel like home anymore. I pack up my and Stacie's things and we leave for the house in the south of France.

:applaud: I'm loving it. So sad at the moment but it's a great perspective of things. Hit's home even more after Heath dying :yikes:

its so good and sweet. i cant wait to see where you choose to take it next.

Back
Top Bottom