What Kind of U2 Concert Fan are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't been to a U2 concdert yet (Philly Baby! Wooooooooo!), but at the R.E.M. concert I attended, I was more like the guy who yells "Shut the fuck up asshole!", at the annoying people calling out "Why don't you play something we know?!" or "Just shut up and play" when Micheal Stipe is talking to the crowd.

God I hate those kinds of people!:mad:

indra said:

Between songs -- yell all you want, but during the songs I want people to shut up and listen to the music. People can dance around and the like, but the dreadful singing, screaming, and yelling is revolting.

Huh? I go to a live performance to hear the band I like perform in a live setting.... It's a different dynamic than a studio recording, and it's fascinating to watch them play off each other. I like the feeling of communing with the band and I don't need to sing along or scream at them to do that -- I just need to feel and absorb the music. Joe Blow butchering the songs isn't really condusive to that.

And I still think the people who scream out band members names incessantly are really lame. I honestly think the people who have to scream and yell and sing so loudly are attention seekers.

(Yeah, I know I'm cranky. :wink: )

Yeah, you are cranky:wink:

Of course I understand the point of seeing and hearing the band play live and stuff, but to me it's only part of the concert experience, the other part is the crowd and the emotion going between them and the band. And that involves a lot of singing along, what can I say...

I just don't think that people singing can really ruin your listening to the music anyways. Sure, if someone really is screaming into your hears that's not very nice, but I generally don't find other people singing ruins the music. It's loud enough that you can hear fine, IMO.

As for people screaming stupid stuff or the band's names, I agree with you, it's lame.

Anyways, all I can say is I wish you have seats for the show, or if you have GAs stay in the back, because people at the front are LOUD. And I can't wait to be with all the other Cs out there singing along! Don't be shy everyone!

im not quite as bad at other shows, but u2 shows make me act crazy-retarded, like a 13 year old girl at an usher show. i'll be jumping up and down and screaming like a little bitch :crazy:

seeing u2 makes me understand old beatles clips, where the crowd is just continuously screaming and practically drowning out the music. seeing u2 can be such an amazing experience that i've felt the only possible reaction is to incomprehensibly scream out . . . though i usually manage to reign it in :)

oceane said:

Yeah, you are cranky:wink:

Anyways, all I can say is I wish you have seats for the show, or if you have GAs stay in the back, because people at the front are LOUD. And I can't wait to be with all the other Cs out there singing along! Don't be shy everyone!

Oh, I'll be fine -- I'm not going to any shows. I strongly dislike huge venues, so that pretty much cuts out seeing U2. :shrug:

Originally posted by Lancemc
I haven't been to a U2 concdert yet (Philly Baby! Wooooooooo!), but at the R.E.M. concert I attended, I was more like the guy who yells "Shut the fuck up asshole!", at the annoying people calling out "Why don't you play something we know?!" or "Just shut up and play" when Micheal Stipe is talking to the crowd.

God I hate those kinds of people!

Me too (well, I'm more apt to quietly stomp on the arch of their foot if I can get close...I don't want be be yelling, you know ;) ).

I was at a club show to see a band I like and this guy wanted to yell out the name of a certain song, but he couldn't remember the name of it. So the jerk wanted me to tell him what it was, and when I wouldn't he got more and more angry. Idiot. This band wasn't going to play the song anyway (it was a b-side and one of their "what were we thinking?" efforts), and they are notorious for disliking people yelling out stupid stuff like that.

I always wonder if people really think they are cool doing stuff like that?

Last night I really hurt my voice... at a U2 tribute show :reject:

that says it all

C, thank you, goodnight

:|

I've only ever been to one U2 concert and I was an A - becuase I was so in awe of actually being there I was shocked into silence. This time around I'm in ga so I might venture into B territory :)

I'm more or less with Indra on this one. I can't stand having some idiot warbling away in my ear all night. I've been in GA 75% of the time and the singing from other people only started to bother me after my brother pointed it out.. GRRRRR. I was fine up until then. It's worse when the offender is drunk and slurring and falling on top of you at the same time.

However, usually at U2 gigs I lose the head completely for the first 10 minutes and then calm down enough and go into my own private little world of joy!!!!

I'm an A /Indra type. I go to enjoy the music, not yobbos beer belching out the songs. But then I'm someone who gets pissed off when people sing along with the radio. I like to listen.

I like the bits where the whole audience is supposed to sing, and in unison eg 40, but otherwise I don't like all the yelling, "I love youssssse", etc.

Apart from the few moments when my mouth will be hanging open in awe, I'll be another c, singing and screaming and so lost in the moment that I won't even realize that I've lost my voice. It happens every time.

When we buy our tickets, instead of this ridiculous electronic queue, we should be able to sit with others who are like us on the topic. Why can't i sit with all the other shameless C's with no vocal training?
Since I have an upper bowl, rear stage, single ticket seat for this show, I hope that I can simply wander a little, perhaps meet another C, perhaps find a sliver of aisle where I'm not breaking any fire laws . . .

Probably C, but this time it won't be a problem as all the other people who are willing to wait 20+ hours will be the same :hyper:

Schmeg said:

I'm a C for the same reason. If I can't hear the person next to me singing, I'm pretty sure they can't hear me. Or maybe this is why that girl stared at me rather than the band in Philly during Elevation...

:lol:

But you're right :yes: At the Elevation show I went to, it seemed that everyone sang along, but you couldn't really pick out individual voices or even hear yourself.

Last edited:
I am "d."

d) Full grown adult male turned in "can't stand still freakin' teenaged girl" mode. Screams inbetween songs like someone is dying. Sings key parts just loud enough. The whole time praying that time would just slow the hell down and let the moment last forever. :wink:

Axver said:
I fear I'll be a C.

I always figured the setlist king would be too busy dissecting the songs they were playing. :wink:

Dont' worry man, when they break out with the 40 full band encore, we'll both be a C+

I'm a hopping, clapping, fist-pumping, grinning, screaming-every-word-at-the-top-of-my-lungs, card-carrying "C"! :D

I don't over-emote in many instances of my life, but by God, when I've been so fortunate as to score tickets to a show, I'm going to get every penny's worth out of it!!! :yes: If I don't come away from a show physically drained, emotionally jacked up & with a barely-there voice, I feel I've been somehow cheated.....

pepokiss said:
Last night I really hurt my voice... at a U2 tribute show :reject:

that says it all

:|

That is too funny.

I'm A, sometimes B --- I'll add a different twist.

I'm always completely sober for U2 shows --- I want to remember every minute and soak it all in. With the exception of seeing Devo on a school night in high school, I can't say that for many other shows I've seen.

It's too much money, and too much fun @ U2 shows to waste the memories on a lousy buzz.

If this tour is your first time out, stay sober, and remember all of it... I doubt you'll regret it.

RademR said:

I always figured the setlist king would be too busy dissecting the songs they were playing. :wink:

Dont' worry man, when they break out with the 40 full band encore, we'll both be a C+

I'll probably be a C+ if they do some setlist variety! If they were to whip out, say, The Electric Co., I'll be the one running around screaming at the top of my lungs, hugging everyone, telling them it's the first time the song has been played since 3 August 1987.

40 full band encore ... :drool: :drool: :drool:

BWU2Buffs said:

If this tour is your first time out, stay sober, and remember all of it... I doubt you'll regret it.

actually that's pretty good advice

I wish I followed it for my first u2 show :reject:

This might just be the first U2 show i've ever seen sober as I am going with my uncle (He got the tix), and he is a recovering alcoholic and SHOULD NOT drink. he becomes a bad man. I might have to sneak to the bathroom (wink wink) and down a few beers in record time.:drunk:

clipper699 said:
I went to a JT show in the Meadowlands once, where the three guys behind me insisted on doing the "Whoa-whoa a-whoa" part of Pride during the entire show. :rant:

Those fuckers were standing behind me at the show in Brooklyn.

Back
Top Bottom