U2 live vs. Coldplay live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8rattoon

The Fly
Probably beating a dead horse, but I haven't been on this site in a while.
I saw coldplay for the first time last week, and have to conclude that u2 blows them out of the water live. It was a good show but nowhere near as good as any of the five u2 shows I have seen. I had heard how great Coldplay was from a friend and bought tickets (which by the way were going for more on EBay than u2 tix for Vertigo), and while I wasn't thoroughly disappointed, it was only 1.5 hours long a kind of lackluster. The songs just dont crescendo like u2's do.

I've seen U2 three times and Coldplay twice over the past year. And U2 puts on a much better show. Better music, better graphics and a much tighter show.

The only time that Coldplay on par with U2 was when I saw them in a small intimate bar venue (the Koolhaus in Toronto).

well I'd hope U2 would be better than Coldplay live, U2 have had over 20 more years of practice. Maybe Coldplay has the advantage of "youth" but frankly I'd be embarassed if they were better than U2 live at this point. I'll tell you though, Green Day puts on a hell of a show...they're not better than U2, but they're up there, and I'm not even a huge GD fan, but they are definitely one of the best live bands around today. But, again, they've had experience - 16 years or so, I believe.

U2 is awesome. Coldplay is awesome. U2 puts on a better live show than Coldplay because U2 has 20+ years experience. What else is new?

I love Coldplay, though I thought X/Y wasn't good at all, but when I saw them the crowd stood for maybe 2 songs. There concert felt like rock/theater while the U2 experience is beyond :drool:

Coldplay encore......:|
U2 Zoo Station encore.....:crazy:

deadhorse.gif

Last edited:
I got my 23-year old Coldplay tickets for Christmas, for the show in Cleveland later this month, she is really excited, she just LOVES them. I hope it's good! I like some of their stuff - but I really think they're just a passing fad. When I took her to her first rock concert, it was Bush, 20,000 screaming girls...and now look where Gavin Rossdale is ... opening for U2.

Went to a coldplay gig during last winter - amazing
went to U2 gig during last summer - even better.

But the obvious thing of why I liked the u2 gig more was because I'm a bigger fan. The setlist for u2 gigs are perfect. I was a bit disappointed by the setlist for coldplay but yet again they've only done three albums. One thing I'd say Chris Martin is better at is the energy he creates on stage - I love it. Nowadays Bono lacks energy like he used to during concerts like R and H.

If I were to compare U2 and coldplay in their youth, or prime I would still say U2 whips Coldplays arse. The setlist would be way better and the life created at the gigs would follow suit.

Coldplay truly sucks.
Live and studio.
Parachutes showed some potential, but they've buried themselves with that last XY crap.

djerdap said:
Coldplay truly sucks.
Live and studio.
Parachutes showed some potential, but they've buried themselves with that last XY crap.

agreed....

I find it amusing that some people are so put off by this thread. Like I said, I haven't been on here in a while and was simply stating my personal opinion from my personal experience. If you are offended/in disagreement, I suggest abandoning your fangirl interest in such a mediocre band. If you are bored of this topic, don't spend so much time on the internet, it's unhealthy!

coldplay is great band, never seen them live but i have a few dvds or bootlegs.

coldplay never come close to u2 or will they ever

saw coldplay last night for the first time. have seen u2 about 30 times over the past 20 years. coldplay was great musically, but they haven't learned to communicate well with the crowd in arenas yet. they played a very good tight set, and musically they were almost perfect, but the connection with the crowd was lacking. they seemed to enjoy their own company more than the crowds. chris martin tried, but it doesn't seem as natural. their stage doesn't help at all. the lip of the stage is curved like vertigo, but they only play out there for 2 songs. most of the time they are about 25-30 feet back from the end of the stage, plus the 5 feet or so of security barrier from the first row. that distance seems enourmous when you are familiar with how close edge adam and bono are during vertigo indoors. and thank God for GA. coldplay had seats on the floor and it almost ensures no real energy from the crowd. give them time though and they should get better. just go back and look at bono's dance moves in the early eighties. still makes me cringe.

I saw U2 live 5 times last year. Mind blowing without a doubt!

I saw Coldplay once. They didn't disappoint. Different, but very special. They came close, but not close enough!

8rattoon said:
I find it amusing that some people are so put off by this thread. Like I said, I haven't been on here in a while and was simply stating my personal opinion from my personal experience. If you are offended/in disagreement, I suggest abandoning your fangirl interest in such a mediocre band. If you are bored of this topic, don't spend so much time on the internet, it's unhealthy!
If you are unable to contribute a new or original view point, then one of the existing 'Coldplay are shite' threads would have sufficed, rather than opening a new one. :rolleyes:

blueeyedgirl said:

If you are unable to contribute a new or original view point, then one of the existing 'Coldplay are shite' threads would have sufficed, rather than opening a new one. :rolleyes:

Exactly! :yes: Well said... Just a matter of doing a search within the forum. This great little feature is at the bottom of the main page to this forum. Or just scroll back a few pages...

I have seen Coldplay in every type of venue -- club, amphitheatre, arena, etc. and seen them on every tour. Each show was good, the club shows being better. But I never leave those shows inspired at all, or in awe for that matter. I leave a U2 show as if I had just gone through a religious experience.

Quite frankly, I don't even think Coldplay are that great live. They're just good.

Coldplay is relatively young but they do have a lot more resources (dvds, bootlegs etc) to learn from than U2 did when they were a young band. I saw them live once and it was an average rock concert and nothing like the U2 live experience. Then again nothing else is in U2's league although Green Day is closest. I have been to a lot of concerts but I look forward to U2 the most.. even moreso than bands i have never seen.

And by saying Coldplay is not in U2's league is not bashing them at all. They are still a young band. What worries me most was their performance at the grammy's. I didn't like the singer going out into the crowd ala Bono when they have already been accused of trying to "copy" U2's sound. If they ever want to escape that accusation then they need to blaze their own path a little more. Other than that they have a great sound and I hope they don't die off like most bands do.

the outdoor shows that coldplay did this past summer were amazing. i would definitely rank them up there. but the indoor shows i didn't like as much.

pearl jam... lol

^Also saw Coldplay last summer outdoors - which added a lot to the experience. I really like Coldplay, but they are not on the same level as U2. Whoever said that U2 are the kings was right.
Right now, nobody else can touch them.

Back
Top Bottom