U2 fans ruin shows...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RUSTYNAIL your my kind of man or hopefully women,only joken i've got my baby met her the night of lansdowne 97,met her after u2 an went clubbing,came out of club an taxi man telling us princess di has just been killed,could'nt believe it,the 2 of us went home and we didn't know it but we were about to begin a life together.Mind u rustynail i've more than 8 so i'm being sentimental,but it was great to have the girl at slane an croker 2 an 3

stevec said:

LMAO Oh ok, I'll let you know when I start giving a shit about those tossers. Priceless...go to a U2 gig and not sing along?

"Next lunatic thread please...form an orderly queue" :sigh:

I dont care - my argument is about people singing when its not really needed and just drowning out Bonos voice, the sound in the stadium was rubbish (something mentioned in almost every review i have read) anyway.

Yes, funnily enough tons of people didnt sing along to EVERYTHING.

My main thought on singing along...

The impact it has depends on where you are. For example, when I did GA for 5/9, I was standing on the outside rail right next to Laura when she was pulled up to play Party Girl. I recorded the entire song and when I play it back, ALL you can hear is everyone around singing, screaming, and cheering her on. There's a tad bit of Bono's singing and her playing that comes through. Then, I downloaded the complete 5/9 bootleg I'm assuming was recorded from higher up in the stands. The song sounds like it's from a different show! You can here Bono singing the entire thing and the sound of the crowd is more complete (like, not as loud, and you can't here individual people, just the crowd as one singing along).

So, if someone's singing is bothering you that much, just tap him/her on the shoulder and politely ask him/her to tone it down a bit. If you're not willing to politely acknowledge the situation, there's no pointing in moaning about it in random threads on the internet.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

So, if someone's singing is bothering you that much, just tap him/her on the shoulder and politely ask him/her to tone it down a bit. If you're not willing to politely acknowledge the situation, there's no pointing in moaning about it in random threads on the internet.

Given the responses in this thread, do you really think that's gonna happen?

In response to the thread, yeah, I find the people who scream along (very few sing, they all have to scream) to every song; fling themselves around; and screech every time a band mamber looks in their direction or moves closer incredibly annoying. I don't go to shows to have some drunk, screeching moron land on me all night, I go to see and hear the band. Crowd participation is fine, but many people take it too far and try to become the center of attention. And those people are definately taser-worthy. :wink:

I'm actually referring to the shows I've been to, which haven't included any U2 ones as they are waaaay too large for me and I dislike large concert venues.

If anyone ever ends up next to me at a show and wants me to shut the hell up, just tap me on the shoulder and ask. I'll be so embarrassed and will have massive guilt, but will stop singing so loud.

Or ... I'll try. I promise to try my best not to sing. :wink:

I behave myself at a concert. For a start I'm never drunk, as my preference is to remain sober and enjoy it. Nor do I jump around to the point where I obscure someone's view, or worse, bump into them every 5 seconds. I also don't scream "Yeah!" and "Bono" at every opportunity either, opting for a cheer when a song ends and applause instead.

Simple considerations are not hard to make when it comes to enjoying yourself and most importantly, making sure someone else's enjoyment is not ruined. However the not singing bit is just silly. It's a rock show and people sing...want to sing...need to sing. It's an expression of joy and as corny as it may sound, a connection with the band.

I don't appreciate being called a tosser for enjoying myself and in every other respect, considering other people on a physical level. If that's YOUR attitude to people mo786, then maybe you should just buy the concert DVD instead and stay at home!

If you want to hear U2s music without any one singing along then stay at home and listen to your cds or watch the DVDs of the concerts by yourself!! Coz as far as I'm concerned, the whole point of going to a live U2 concert is to sing and dance and generally make an ass of yourself, let go and have the time of your life!!:dancing:

Take this mouth so quick to critize/ take this mouth/ Give it a kiss:hug:

Well well well...

I never said I would stop anyone singing.

You all think you have a god given right to rant on and sing and concerts

we all have the right to be able to hear Bono as well.

thats all i am saying.

stevec said:
I behave myself at a concert. For a start I'm never drunk, as my preference is to remain sober and enjoy it. Nor do I jump around to the point where I obscure someone's view, or worse, bump into them every 5 seconds. I also don't scream "Yeah!" and "Bono" at every opportunity either, opting for a cheer when a song ends and applause instead.

Well said my friend.

i've been on the front rail for all the UK shows and I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE SING!!!!!! There was a guy next to me in Cardiff on Tuesday who had a crap voice and he made a real mess of running to standstill (his voice kinda broke!) and he looked at me and i gave him a big smile, we are all there for the same reason, let's celebrate that! Who cares, its a gig, i sing and dance (apart from when its' Edges guitar solo in the fly and i'm just rooted to the spot with absolute mesmeric admiration for a genius plying his trade a few feet away from me!) but i dont smash into people and shout bono right into someone's ear so it hurts...lol.

The infamous security at Cardiff tried their best to ruin a great show with their antics outside gate 2, but they fookin failed, because for all anyone says about the merits of this tour or that tour U2 are the greatest band on the planet and their fans are AMAZING! I've met people over the past 2 weeks that i know i'll keep in touch with forever. And for that i am eternally grateful.

At Croke 1 some of the singing was god-awful - and everyone kept getting it wrong too.
I.e. Vertigo - Can't remember which point, but the song kicked back in again and everyone started singing the chorus, but it was instrumental. Then bono started singing the chorus 4 bars later and everyone got all confused.
With or Without you - After the 1st verse everyone went to sing the full chorus...but of course that only kicks in after the 2nd verse. Crowd fades out slightly embarrased.
One - lets be honest - no-one can remember the words to that song.
Pride - "oh-oh-oh-oh" the *whole* way through the song
Elevation - Everyone sang "woo-woo" bits wrong. Adding the last "woo" from the 2nd time, everytime.

I could have got annoyed about it - but then again, who really cares? As long as everyone is havin a good time! :D it was quite funny by the end.

brianmcf said:
At Croke 1 some of the singing was god-awful - and everyone kept getting it wrong too.
I.e. Vertigo - Can't remember which point, but the song kicked back in again and everyone started singing the chorus, but it was instrumental. Then bono started singing the chorus 4 bars later and everyone got all confused.
With or Without you - After the 1st verse everyone went to sing the full chorus...but of course that only kicks in after the 2nd verse. Crowd fades out slightly embarrased.
One - lets be honest - no-one can remember the words to that song.
Pride - "oh-oh-oh-oh" the *whole* way through the song
Elevation - Everyone sang "woo-woo" bits wrong. Adding the last "woo" from the 2nd time, everytime.

I could have got annoyed about it - but then again, who really cares? As long as everyone is havin a good time! :D it was quite funny by the end.

It's well funny when the singing goes wrong. And at Twickers2 I met a couple of blokes who had routines worked out for various songs - great laugh.

As for having rights to sing and rant - it's a gig and a party. From what I've experienced if some people are going ott then others have let them know and it gets sorted out.

Mirrorball Man said:

It's well funny when the singing goes wrong. And at Twickers2 I met a couple of blokes who had routines worked out for various songs - great laugh.

As for having rights to sing and rant - it's a gig and a party. From what I've experienced if some people are going ott then others have let them know and it gets sorted out.

At Twickers 1 there were 2 Dutch or German boys behind me singing their hearts out in their funny accents. I could have:hug:
them.

yes!!

everyone does get the damn woo woos on elevation wrong

its woo-woo

woo-woo woooo

not woo-woo woooo

woo-woo woooo

:mad: :mad:

nuke126 said:
people paid to be there, and they are free to sing if they want to, if you're on the floor then move if you don't like it or leave

People are also free to talk on their cell phones all throughout the concert.

I'd like to think that U2 fans can enjoy themselves and be respectful of others simultaneously.

speedracer said:

People are also free to talk on their cell phones all throughout the concert.

I'd like to think that U2 fans can enjoy themselves and be respectful of others simultaneously.

How the hell could they hear????

me and my buddy always brace for an off-tone singer in almost *every* bootleg that exists for Pride who sings "oh-oh-oh-oh" so badly that we laugh about it

40, One, Streets, ISHFWILF, Vertigo, SBS, Pride... these are all songs that the fans singing and screaming make the U2 experience unparallelled in today's music scene.

U2 live is all about fans going crazy. Why do you think they go to such extremes to make the show so amazing, so people sit on their hands the whole time?

If you want to hear the band, get closer to the stacks.

Last edited:
I can't sing at a concert?!..what?!:yikes: i just have to stand there and listen?!.
Sorry i can't do that ...i sing along i admit..i don't hear myself tho so i doubt anyone will...and whats the point of going to a concert if you can't enjoy yourself?...some people like being quiet others like singing...so what?...I understand there can be some obnoxious people in the world but thats life.:shrug:

Half of what makes U2 so great live is their audience. Everyone is so enthusiastic, jumping, shouting, singing along... at any given moment Bono could just stop singing a song and it wouldn't matter because the audience would be singing it for him. I really don't think every band has that kind of audience. U2 fans don't RUIN a U2 concert, they MAKE a U2 concert!

Maybe this person, Mo786, has never been to a real U2 concert. Maybe he/she gets bootleg copies of the concerts and cannot hear Bono with people around talking and singing.
I know I'm annoyed at bootlegs with hearing other people's voices other than Bono's.
But if you're at the real thing...you don't notice other people, really. Or you shouldn't. You should be engulfed with the audience's and the band's energy. And their music is so loud!

lets bring the barbershop quartet on the stage...this is a rock show by a band that feeds off the fans...if it wasnt for people singing along to the songs I dont think U2 would be as motivated to tour as they are today.

mo786 said:
by singing along to every tune and singing too loudly so Bono cannot always be heard...

this has been my experience! i know U2 try to make it an audience participation thing but i wonder what it would be like if they just sang the songs and there was not as much participation...

the sound quality at all the gigs i went to has not been that great - which doesnt help

i am guessing the people who sing along dont really care because essentially they are not even listening to the same level as someone just listening...

any opinions?

I hope you're not too upset by the replies. As you can see, the majority of us are of the same mind. U2 are not just a band with 4 musicians, but 4 musicians and a crowd. Without the crowd there isn't a show. I can understand your issue... but we do our listening when the eagerly anticipated album is released. I'm sorry that you don't enjoy that unique experience of U2 fans singing in unison (or not in unison). There will always be idiots who spoil things, but we can't be responsible for them.

:hug:

xtal said:
Maybe this person, Mo786, has never been to a real U2 concert.

I went to 3 in about 10 days or so. WHy would I be complaining otherwise?

Beautiful Day and One at Live 8. Thats how the songs should be heard....

Although Vertigo still sucks.

chrissybaby said:

Well said my friend.

i've been on the front rail for all the UK shows and I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE SING!!!!!! There was a guy next to me in Cardiff on Tuesday who had a crap voice and he made a real mess of running to standstill (his voice kinda broke!) and he looked at me and i gave him a big smile, we are all there for the same reason, let's celebrate that! Who cares, its a gig, i sing and dance (apart from when its' Edges guitar solo in the fly and i'm just rooted to the spot with absolute mesmeric admiration for a genius plying his trade a few feet away from me!) but i dont smash into people and shout bono right into someone's ear so it hurts...lol.

The infamous security at Cardiff tried their best to ruin a great show with their antics outside gate 2, but they fookin failed, because for all anyone says about the merits of this tour or that tour U2 are the greatest band on the planet and their fans are AMAZING! I've met people over the past 2 weeks that i know i'll keep in touch with forever. And for that i am eternally grateful.

Hey Chrissy!!! Thanks for that :hug:

How you doing? Sounds like you had a great show. Glasgow was amazing too - my old feet were killin me the next day tho (too much dancin'!)

spencr00 said:
you're probably one of the assholes who sings...

WHAT! I just logged into this thread a few seconds ago and I read this insult. It's really uncalled for to say 'that' to someone, especially here at a U2 forum. U2 doesn’t need fans like that. Look buddy, you can hear them all you want on record. People go to U2 concerts to have fun, not to solemnly sit like zombies at the opera! Besides, as others mentioned, you can barely hear the person singing next to you anyway. You may have been joking, but it's hard to tell, you should apologize to the person you slighted.

I'm going to see U2 live for the first time in December, so I haven't experienced this. But I've listened to a number of recordings where I can understand what you're taking about. But this is gonna be my first show, and I'm not gonna let that get in my way. Plus, last I checked, I'll be going to a rock concert, not the symphony, so I'm gonna sing my little heart out. Unless I'm totally in awe of U2 and their greatness (which will probably happen :wink: )

u2wedge said:
40, One, Streets, ISHFWILF, Vertigo, SBS, Pride... these are all songs that the fans singing and screaming make the U2 experience unparallelled in today's music scene.
I don't know about this...have you seen Rob Thomas lately? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom