This True? The Return of Walk On?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, that's really cool they pulled The First Time out of the bag, I love that song, always have, wish I'd seen it.

I wonder if it was on the setlist? Either way I loved the video clip of it- spontaneous and fun, and good for Bono on getting the lyrics to finish it properly. It did sound terrific! :up:

Axver said:
This is just lame. U2 pull out a couple of total surprises and people STILL complain. My goodness.

In any case, those who've reported back from the show say Walk On was great and the atmosphere during the song was wonderful and unifying - I believe one post said it was like in a small club.

Walk On was fabulous last night!! It fit into the setlist beautifully and looked to be a choice of the moment with Bono approaching The Edge after The Ocean and whispering in his year.
Then, they played Walk On. Although acousitc it was magnificient. The crowd loved it.

The show last night was well done and may have been better than the other 4 Chicago shows in May (it is hard to say). There is no reason for complaints about last nights show.

Discotheque sounded unbelievable!!!!!

Just to get it out there--the performance was indeed terrible. Shockingly terrible. At the same time, though, it was terribly endearing and, judging by my constant crowd-watching, brought the band and the audience closer together.

I also do think it was an improvised performance, just like the Elevation-debut of "I Still Haven't Found..." was in May 2001. "Walk On," unlike the other songs, was not on Bono's teleprompter screen. "The First Time" was on it, but not "Walk On."

ayearwome said:

Walk On was fabulous last night!! It fit into the setlist beautifully and looked to be a choice of the moment with Bono approaching The Edge after The Ocean and whispering in his year.
Then, they played Walk On. Although acousitc it was magnificient. The crowd loved it.

The show last night was well done and may have been better than the other 4 Chicago shows in May (it is hard to say). There is no reason for complaints about last nights show.

Discotheque sounded unbelievable!!!!!

Agreed. I was in the 3rd row of the 2nd level on Edge's side. Sound was great, performance was superb and definitely better than the two May concerts I attended.

On another note, I don't understand how anyone can be critical of a show they didn't attend? (eg. U2man)

trabantland said:

On another note, I don't understand how anyone can be critical of a show they didn't attend? (eg. U2man)

Easy now, buddy. Don't take these remarks too seriously. I was just commenting on what I saw in that tiny video clip recorded on a video phone, which is indeed not a first-hand experience. As I said, I cannot know how the experience was at the show.

If you shout... said:
Just to get it out there--the performance was indeed terrible. Shockingly terrible. At the same time, though, it was terribly endearing and, judging by my constant crowd-watching, brought the band and the audience closer together.

I also do think it was an improvised performance, just like the Elevation-debut of "I Still Haven't Found..." was in May 2001. "Walk On," unlike the other songs, was not on Bono's teleprompter screen. "The First Time" was on it, but not "Walk On."

The incident with the sheet of paper would really have been odd, if "Walk On" was on his teleprompter screen :wink:

wow i didn't think they could top the toronto set lists but they did!

by the way, how dare that fan ask for anything from zooropa instead of just asking for dirty day :giggle:

Axver said:
In any case, those who've reported back from the show say Walk On was great and the atmosphere during the song was wonderful and unifying - I believe one post said it was like in a small club.

I bet it was awesome to be there. I've found that vocally strong songs (belters!) are often amazing when done a cappella or acoustic. The power & the heart shine through and provide for a great perfomance--rehearsed or not.

Just saw the acoustic 'Walk On'... hell, it is not the full band version, but I will take any 'Walk On' version they sing... even it is Bono signing acapella....

Walk On rules! :up:

U2@NYC said:
Just saw the acoustic 'Walk On'... hell, it is not the full band version, but I will take any 'Walk On' version they sing... even it is Bono signing acapella....

Walk On rules! :up:

I thought One ruled :hmm:

U2Man said:

I thought One ruled :hmm:

One also rules... but Walk On has been less played. So I would love if it became a landmark of this third leg.

Acoustic... electric... acapella... I don't care.

on a side note, I'm pretty sure they played "the first time" on a few zooropa shows.

U2@NYC said:

One also rules... but Walk On has been less played. So I would love if it became a landmark of this third leg.

Acoustic... electric... acapella... I don't care.

But that guitar riff is soo beautiful....

JOFO said:
on a side note, I'm pretty sure they played "the first time" on a few zooropa shows.

No they did not.
Bono did snippet it regularly during the Zooropa Tour (i.e. the stadiums in Europe leg), but that was one verse at most. This is the first time the whole song has been played.

:)

My friend got a setlist from Joe back at the soundboard after the show. Walk On and The First Time were both on it. They were planned. I thought Bono's forgetting the lyrics was hilarious though. Perhaps there was a teleprompter malfunction and he had to wait for someone to print out a copy of the lyrics? Anyway, I'd rather get a rough version of a song they haven't played yet than a polished version of Vertigox2.

Bono made mention of Father so-and-so from Notre Dame before The First Time (the reason I think it was played). I think he and a contingent of ND faculty were at the show, because when I went to my car I was parked in a by a motorcoach going to South Bend full of older, non-U2 fan looking folks. The band probably invited them to the show.

atikicat said:
My friend got a setlist from Joe back at the soundboard after the show. Walk On and The First Time were both on it. They were planned.

:ohmy:

I'd rather get a rough version of a song they haven't played yet than a polished version of Vertigox2.

Good point :up: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom