Mobile Phones - BAN THEM NOW!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just having been at Josh Groban where that exact thing took place, arms up in the air holding up camera phones, doing cell certs with the cameras up in the air the entire time, and video phones, not only do the arms up in the air holding them, the gabbing to whoever the moron is on the other side of the line every detail in a loud cell yell, but the screens were annoying to look at for everybody as well.

Pop Artist said:
Only one problem with that on this tour...Bono's arranged to have people text their names to the One Campaign during One, so I think they really want you to bring your mobile to the gig. :wink:

LOL, exactly.

You silly U2 fans really don't pay enough attention to the tour news, do ya? :wink:

The bad thing is that the Vertigo tour has a certain part featuring a certain song featuring a certain use of mobile phones..........sigh.........

adambk said:
As long as they dont distract people around them for a lengthy period, then I think its allright.

Agreed -- all you need to do is ask the person to talk softer and respect your right to enjoy the show.

Besides, of all place to ban cell phones, wouldn't it make more sense to start with say.... cars and trucks where people can die from stoopid cell phone use, then maybe move on to places like church and movie theaters, before we start banning them from U2 shows?

isnt that a new thing at a lot of rock shows, holding your cell phones in the air instead of lighters? I like the lighters, myself.

I don't mind when people call others on cell phones, as long as they dont start blabbing away. If they want to let someone hear a song, I dont mind.

When I went to see Sade in concert, I called my girlfriend and let her listen to "Ordinary Love".

Last edited:
massive attack did an awseome thing for their last tour, they let you pick a show on their website that you were attending and type a message in, they were obviously screened beforehand and some of the messages were amazing. That was one hell of a cool show, probably the best use of technology i have ever seen at a gig.

LOl! Other far more important things to worry about, quite frankly. That said - people can be quite annoying with their mobiles... ESPECIALLY ON TRAINS WHERE, within 5 minutes of leaving a station, EVERY BUGGER DECIDES THEY WANT TO CHANGE THEIR RINGTONE AND SUBJECTS US TO A "MUSICAL" EXTRAVAGANZA... AAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

Forget Interference T-shirts - we could get our usernames prinmted on the back of our phones before waving them, annoyingly. :wink:

Trains :down:. Lighters :up:

RademR said:
isnt that a new thing at a lot of rock shows, holding your cell phones in the air instead of lighters? I like the lighters, myself.

I don't mind when people call others on cell phones, as long as they dont start blabbing away. If they want to let someone hear a song, I dont mind.

When I went to see Sade in concert, I called my girlfriend and let her listen to "Ordinary Love".

I thought the song was called No Ordinary Love? Yes, I know, I'm being pedantic. :)

Last edited:
u2bigfans said:
that's why people have expensive phones.. to take pix.. $1400 for a my phone..

Good grief - that IS expensive. Mine cost me £299 ($560 or so), altogether, and it's a decent one.

If someone in your family owns a shop, you can get a phone with a camera for around AUS$100. :wink:

Listen.

If the rumours are true and Bono wants fans to text and donate during One then I guess I have no problem with this...texting nice and quietly with no yakking.

But if you are taking your mobile (cell) to a concert to donate to this cause then follow these simple rules...

1) DO NOT yack away to some mate right through the whole gig - think of the guy in front of you AND his enjoyment of the concert (someone posting about 'letting fans enjoy the concert by using their phones' has obviously not has a moron standing right behind them shouting at the back of their neck).

2) NO PICTURES : again, I don't care if your phone costs millions - buy a camera cos your pictures will still suck. Money will not buy you clarity, or the right light setting, or focal distance, depth of field, print resolution etc - stop!

3) NO CONSTANTLY HOLDING THE PHONE IN THE AIR - this will give you cancer of the arm and if your arm falls off then I will beat you with it.

And finally, if anyone does use a mobile near me at any of the concerts that I am attending then they will have to phone the emergency services by putting their own head up their own arse because that's where the phone will be - know what I mean?

nuke126 said:
ok, i was going to bring my cell and phone in the setlist during the San Diego show for you guys to see on interference, but i guess you don't like that kind of thing.

Do it after the concert.
I don't care, because San Diego will happen in the middle of the night for me. I'll see the reports once I wake up. :wink:

Popmartijn said:

Do it after the concert.
I don't care, because San Diego will happen in the middle of the night for me. I'll see the reports once I wake up. :wink:

Ah, but it happens during the afternoon for me so I'd quite like a play-by-play report! :wink:

u2_england said:

We're listening.

If the rumours are true and Bono wants fans to text and donate during One then I guess I have no problem with this...texting nice and quietly with no yakking.

But if you are taking your mobile (cell) to a concert to donate to this cause then follow these simple rules...

1) DO NOT yack away to some mate right through the whole gig - think of the guy in front of you AND his enjoyment of the concert (someone posting about 'letting fans enjoy the concert by using their phones' has obviously not has a moron standing right behind them shouting at the back of their neck).

Having attended many gigs, ridiculously large concerts, and festivals, I must say it's beyond me how anyone can hear well enough to yap while the music's playing. Anyone who attempts it either has supersonic hearing or is wasting their money.

2) NO PICTURES : again, I don't care if your phone costs millions - buy a camera cos your pictures will still suck. Money will not buy you clarity, or the right light setting, or focal distance, depth of field, print resolution etc - stop!

Nonsense - if someone wants shoddy pictures, leave them to it.

That said, do it a few times - not for the entirety of the show, fior God's sake.

3) NO CONSTANTLY HOLDING THE PHONE IN THE AIR - this will give you cancer of the arm and if your arm falls off then I will beat you with it.

:lol:

And finally, if anyone does use a mobile near me at any of the concerts that I am attending then they will have to phone the emergency services by putting their own head up their own arse because that's where the phone will be - know what I mean?

What do you think this is - Altamont?

What irritates me is the incessant screaming. Cheering - yes; applauding - yes; singing along - yes, if you must; general overexcitement and enjoyment - definitely. Screeching like a banshee being skewered - NO.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Screeching like a banshee being skewered - NO.

So you've met my girl?

Hmmm...Stone Roses connections me thinks.

Not to be sexist, but U2 and the Roses - good taste!

If you're a bloke then...still good taste.

PS : BAN MOBILE PHONES NOW!!!

u2_england said:

So you've met my girl?

Hmmm...Stone Roses connections me thinks.

Not to be sexist, but U2 and the Roses - good taste!

If you're a bloke then...still good taste.

PS : BAN MOBILE PHONES NOW!!!
:lol: I'm female. I've heard of 'A Boy Called Sue', but 'A Boy Called Sally' is going too far methinks.

Thanks for the compliment. :)
I didn't see any sexism in your comment - unless of course you mean that women generally aren't into U2 or the Roses? In which case you couldn't be more wrong. :yes:

My guess is that you don't like mobiles (I'm observant like that).

ok, whoever wants to take a cell phone to the opener and gives us a detail report on the stage, setlist, lighting.....use that thing all night long if you want.

Great appreciated :wink:

and yes, there are some really considerate people who don't hold their arms way up in the air in front of the people behind them, who do cell certs for others without the phone/camera stuck in the air the whole time, they discretely keep it lower, and plenty who take one pic or so. BUT for all of them, there are 20x more who could care less if they ruin the show for those around them. I was at a keith urban concert in the 3rd row where every person in the 1st and 2nd row held up a phone and/or a digital camera the entire time. Every pic the rest of us got was of their arms and cameras, let alone watching him covered by their arms up in the air with those. This will be the first U2 tour where everybody will have a digital camera, and a cell phone.

and yes hopefully each U2 show from the first one there is someone who does a cell cert of it for all of us on here. And you don't need to hold it up in the air, it turns out fine wherever it is usually. Someone who types fast can transcribe it for the rest of us. How come this hasn't been set up already? Every concert for Clay Aiken we do that for, and we all go to the board at the time of the show and someone transcribes the whole thing as it goes on.

People also use those Blackberries or whatever they are and they give us all the info of before the show stuff too. GA line people could do that for everybody here if they have one of those.

Last edited:
bonoed said:
Every concert for Clay Aiken we do that for, and we all go to the board at the time of the show and someone transcribes the whole thing as it goes on.

are you seriously a fan of Clay Aiken?

and all kinds of people, I have no prejudices with re. to music. I like all music, country, pop, rock, R&B, jazz, classical, world, anything. I have an open mind. Having just heard jazz trumpeter Chris Botti, live, he's amazing, and I'll add him to my music, Michael Buble also, he's fantastic live too. A great singer/artist/musician is a great singer/artist/musician, doesn't matter the genre.

btw, all the person at the concert does with the cell phone is lay it down on stage, or someplace safe, they don't have to hold it up in the air, and the person at home on the other end of the call, just writes everything from the crowd reaction to what the artist (Bono) says, to the songs, everything they are hearing. I just began to realize there probably weren't any cell certs at the last U2 shows, this will be the first time. It's like going to the concert online to read it as it happens.

Last edited:
bonoed said:
I just began to realize there probably weren't any cell certs at the last U2 shows, this will be the first time. It's like going to the concert online to read it as it happens.

A French U2 fan site had that for many of the shows on the European leg of the Elevation tour, it was great fun experiencing that vicariously. :)

bonoed said:
A great singer/artist/musician is a great singer/artist/musician, doesn't matter the genre.

exactly, thats why i asked the question :wink:
just kidding, ure right.

what if i have to dial 911 because i punched a guy (u2_england) in the face because he wanted me to put my cell phone away and his ass is on the floor getting stomped on...mind your own business, if im paying 250 for a f*cking GA ticket then ill bring whatever the f*ck i please.:|

Back
Top Bottom