MERGED ---> U2 on Shelter From the Storm Concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably. If no one torrents a digital rip I'll torrent a DVD quality clip. I might have to leave the wmv clip until the morning as it's getting late (early) here and I want to get up for the cricket in the morning ;)

enajh2 said:
Probably. If no one torrents a digital rip I'll torrent a DVD quality clip. I might have to leave the wmv clip until the morning as it's getting late (early) here and I want to get up for the cricket in the morning ;)

:up:

Sleep well :wink:

discothequeLP said:
what would have been better? i would have loved to hear City of Blinding Lights, but i don't know if that would have been more fitting. Crumbs, maybe? SYCMIOYO would have been the best, i think.

I definitely think Walk On's lyrics are better fit for this kind of charity rather than one.

You asked me to enter, but then you made me crawl, and i cant be holding on, to what you got, when all you got is hurt.

vs

And I know it aches, and your heart it breaks, and you can only take so much, so walk on, walk on...

though I think Yahweh would have been a great choice.

yeah I thought Walk On too, but they did that at the 9/11 benefit which is really similar to this format.

Besides I think wanting Mary J Blige to perform with them probably led to the song selection more than most things.

Sometimes I think U2 put way too much consideration into whether people will recognize the songs at these occasions instead of just playing whatever they see fit. They might think that One was the best choice, but in that case they always seem to think so.

U2DMfan said:
yeah I thought Walk On too, but they did that at the 9/11 benefit which is really similar to this format.

Besides I think wanting Mary J Blige to perform with them probably led to the song selection more than most things.

:up: agree with you

Actually that 'One' line is also relevant....'you asked me to enter' - national guard people told people in the superdome they would get help soon...'and then you made me crawl'...the help didn't come so soon...'and I can't be holding on to what you got when all you got is hurt'....can't keep believing the government is gonna step to the plate when they've been imcompetent thus far.

Anyway, I feel Walk On is a bit too uplifting for this.

Wow. I think that was the worst performance of One I have ever heard. I was just cringing the entire time. And shame on the cameraman for choosing those angles that a) made it seem like Edge wasn't even in the band, b) showcased the empty seats of the arena and c) were shot from the viewpoint of the lights (WTF?) and kept the singers blurry.

It's a shame, too. I was hoping for so much more.

did I ask too much, more than a lot, you gave me nothing now it's all I've got, we're One but we are not the same, we've got to carry each other.....

If you don't think that song fit, you are missing it.

miss becky said:
Wow. I think that was the worst performance of One I have ever heard. I was just cringing the entire time. And shame on the cameraman for choosing those angles that a) made it seem like Edge wasn't even in the band, b) showcased the empty seats of the arena and c) were shot from the viewpoint of the lights (WTF?) and kept the singers blurry.

It's a shame, too. I was hoping for so much more.

How much did you donate? That's all that matters.

U2DMfan said:
did I ask too much, more than a lot, you gave me nothing now it's all I've got, we're One but we are not the same, we've got to carry each other.....

:hug:

I missed it because I had to work late! I thought I would be OK because I thought the concert started at 8 p.m. CST, not 7 p.m.!

Oh, well, at least I got to see the Foo Fighters, Neil Young and Paul Simon. And there's always tomorrow night.

U2DMfan said:

i agree that there are some lines in the song that fit very well, but there are a few that are just kind of awkward at a charity concert

i dont know, maybe i just have the gay video and interpretation in my head too much when i hear it

U2DMfan said:

Agree, but most of the lyrics of One seem to fit all these kinds of occasions. They do have other songs that would fit, too. Like for instance, Yahweh, a recent one. Or One Tree Hill as Axver mentioned.

u2wedge said:

How much did you donate? That's all that matters.

I have donated, yes. Both to the Red Cross and to United Way. I agree, that's the important thing. However, I'm still disappointed in the performance.

U2Man said:

Agree, but most of the lyrics of One seem to fit all these kinds of occasions. They do have other songs that would fit, too. Like for instance, Yahweh, a recent one. Or One Tree Hill as Axver mentioned.

And considering the issues of divisiveness, poverty (give me nothing, now that's all i've got), Superdome (ask me to enter, then you make me crawl), unity (carry each other), race (we're one, but not the same)... I'd say 'One' is the most relevant song that could have been played. And by extension, this still ties in to the make poverty history effort of the 'One' campaign.

WHEN DID THE FOO FIGHTERS PLAYED?

I think I would've hearded...

It went form U2 to Morgan Freeman then Neil Young... :sad:

well, for all of the people complaining... wait until tomorrow... if the play One again, THEN complain... now, just support the cause, like I DO

Back
Top Bottom