MERGED-->Tour postponed? + HTDAAB Tour Dates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elvis and Katey;

You came in rather late with that comment I made exactly the same one pages back that was just ignored!!

Last edited:
Bono's Tart said:
Elvis and Katey;

You came in rather late with that comment I made exactly the same one pages back that was just ignored!!

Actually, I think that *some* explanation is needed.

If, for example, the tour is cancelled - I think it should be openly stated why. These are public figures. We don't need to know the gritty details, but stating who is ill and what the illness is ends all speculation. This info. will "satiate the masses" and will provide empathy. No one wants this empathy but it will exist - and far better to have it than wild speculation, twisted rumors and mean-spirited comments. For example, if the tour were cancelled, I wouldn't want to read posts from people like Isabella's BF stating that it was due to "poor album sales" or other such nonsense. In contrast, notice the empathy that existed for Bono's late father back in 2001.

So again, while details aren't needed, some explanation should be offered. And hopefully this will be forthcoming very soon.

In the interim, I do agree that continued speculation is just nonsense.

Now... where are those psychics? Will I win big $$ this year? :wink:

Last edited:
I disagree. What about the ill person? I have taken to calling the ill person "Edgeling" for want of a less sterile description.

Anyway, what about Edgelings mates at school? Will they give her crap? Has she successfully avoided the masses by being in another city, or something?

I imagine it would be hard enough on a child having a serious illness let alone dealing with it being in the newspapers as well.

Poor little mite. I wish her well, and anonymity.

peace

beli said:
I disagree. What about the ill person? I have taken to calling the ill person "Edgeling" for want of a less sterile description.

Anyway, what about Edgelings mates at school? Will they give her crap? Has she successfully avoided the masses by being in another city, or something?

I imagine it would be hard enough on a child having a serious illness let alone dealing with it being in the newspapers as well.

peace

beli...

How do you even know the person is a SHE/HER, besides that the person is young enough to be in school?

This is my point of the post above. All of this is speculation and assumption.

Sadly it is true

Can you all stop arguing now?

The tour will go ahead, but it's just a bit up in the air at the moment.

xxxxxxx

As Elvis has stated..

Folks, we do not know who it is in edge's family..whether it is parent, child. former spouse or whatever. Stop posting as if that fact is known (such as "edgeling") when it clearly is not.

I was surprised to see that Hotpress says "family illness" and U2.com - Paul McGuiness - says "tour routing".

Could it be Hotpress is mistaken? :|

As for announcing anything, I agree with doctorwho. Not detailed, but give us the general idea of what's going on.

A case of routing tour problems can most likely be handled within weeks.

Family illness could mean anything from weeks/months to even cancelling the whole tour.

Elvis said:

beli...

How do you even know the person is a SHE/HER, besides that the person is young enough to be in school?

This is my point of the post above. All of this is speculation and assumption.

I should have quoted Dr Who in my post above. Apologies for the confusion.

I dont know anything about this. Sorry if I implied that I did. They were just examples. I was trying to take the focus off Edge, and attempt to get a few people to think about the allegedly ill family member as there have been a few people calling for more information about the "ill family member".

Whomever it is is possibly dealing with more crap than is necessary because they are related to someone famous. Thats all. I didnt mean any offence. Sorry if my post came across as odd.

What I meant is we dont have a right to know.

peace

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I love posters who have official info and just one post. Who also happen to register in January 2005.

Originally posted by martha

They rule, don't they

I registered last night, to post on here for you all.

Take it at face value.

And to think........ I thought that sarcasm was reserved for the sole use of the Brits :)

Stop arguing though. Won't be posting again.

xxxxx

Guys..

Sorry if I'm going on and on about Edge's daughter as if I had some confirmation that this was the legitimate case.

I guess with a story like this, you can divide people into 2 groups..those who have personally experienced the chronic illness and/or death of a family member, and those who have not. I fall into the former. My grandmother was diagnosed with colon cancer 5 yrd ago. Luckily they caught it just in time but it was close, and since the treatment burned away part of her muscle there she has to spend the rest of her life wearing Depends every day. Folks, treatment isn't just a month and then you're out in post-patient. She went through 4 months of chemo hell, and after that, she recouperated for another 6 or 7 months. Luckily my mom is a teacher and the ilness struck at the beginning for summer, which she had off anyway, and she had built up a lot of sick time so she could take much of the falloff too. She moved inot my grandma;s house and helped the home health aide care for her. During the summer, I came up periodically and helped as well. It was a searing, awful experience that even though it was 5 yrs ago it changed my life and I'll never forget it. Even with all the windows open, her house stank, day and night...I won't go into the other details.

When something like this hits, you life just stops. It's impossible to go on just like normal. You can put up a good act but after a while, the act wears you down. nI supose the only consolationis that Edge will have the shows to distract him, if only for a few hours each night, and there is what scant comfort we thousands in the "U2 family" can give. I was thinking about this allday at work today, and how fortunate it is to be a fan, even in the worst times. The band have spent years going out of their way to make us feel the closest thing to a family that it's possible for strangers to be, and I hope we get to repay in kind, to the best of our ability. It is a uniquely beautiful thing, and something that gives me hope in the darkest of times. There are times when I thank God that in a sense, I'm never completely alone, in sense. Others don't have that.

I sometimes feel that U2 fandom provides a model for the rest of the world in its capacity to bond and "carry each other", and when (as familes often do) we bicker and "fight al lof the time", we never seperate. Now is not the time to fight. JUst as the band is doing.

Here's a thought: if the rumor is true (God forbid), let's say it's one of Aislinn's daughters. A sticky situation if Morleigh wants to comfort the grieving other wife; do you think she is refraining from that? Do you think Edge's first wife is currently refusing contact with the second, just because of her personal feelings? Ot do you think she is putting personal feelings aside and foign out of her way to give comfort? Sorry to speculate on Edge's personal business, it's horrible I know, but I'm just trying to give the ultimate example of people who have differences coming together. Of course it is not my business to even think on things like this, much less discuss it, but I couldn't help thinking abou tthis at work today. Sorry if I offend anybody with this post. but I'm sure if the rumor is true, this is indeed the case right now. And if it is so, by any chance, that's an example all of us must follow.

Sorry for saying this. THe point is, it really isn't our business to have the rumor confirmed; if the tour begins in the beginning of April then a) either the rumor was thankfully wrong, b) the extra month was just closing weeks of treatment, or c) well..that thought is too awful to speculate on. We just don't know.

All we can do is hope and pray, and do out best to "carry each other" as the song says.

beli said:

peace

And I disagree.

Stating that a person is ill is not some wild invasion of their privacy. People get sick. We don't need to know exactly what's going on. We don't need to know blood counts or life expectancy. But for a public figure, I don't think it's so tragic to say that person X's son, daughter, wife, mother, husband, father, etc., has taken ill. As a result, this will cause the delay or cancellation of item Y. Without such a public announcement, you have what's happening here - namely speculation, rumors and mean-spirited comments.

Lastly, the fact that you are calling her "Edgeling" is actually a reflection on you more than the announcement of this news. I, for example, am not calling anyone "poor Edgeling". That said, the empathy you are providing is far better than the mean-spirited comments in this thread.

Teta040 said:

Here's a thought: if the rumor is true (God forbid), let's say it's one of Aislinn's daughters. A sticky situation if Morleigh wants to comfort the grieving other wife; do you think she is refraining from that? Do you think Edge's first wife is currently refusing contact with the second, just because of her personal feelings? Ot do you think she is putting personal feelings aside and foign out of her way to give comfort? Sorry to speculate on Edge's personal business, it's horrible I know, but I'm just trying to give the ultimate example of people who have differences coming together. Of course it is not my business to even think on things like this, much less discuss it, but I couldn't help thinking abou tthis at work today. Sorry if I offend anybody with this post. but I'm sure if the rumor is true, this is indeed the case right now. And if it is so, by any chance, that's an example all of us must follow.

I guess you meant well but really, this is a bit much to be discussing here. Please have a little respect.

beli said:

I should have quoted Dr Who in my post above. Apologies for the confusion.

What I meant is we dont have a right to know.

peace

You can quote me all you want, but both my point and Elvis's point stand.

We don't have specific details. So your comments about "Edgeling" and "poor little mite" are things in your head - nothing else. I love how you have comments about "poor Edgeling" yet state that it's wrong to invade their privacy! It seems you are contradicting yourself by making assumptions that might not be true.

I do agree that we don't have a right to specific details. However, I think as public figures, we - their fans - have a right to know *something*. For example, if the tour is cancelled, it should be stated why. And this is very beneficial - it ends speculation and mean-spirited comments.

Note that we hear comments about the President's illness. We don't need details, but it's nice to know what's going on and if the President is healthy or not. In another example, just yesterday Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston announced their separation. They also asked for privacy. I both admire and respect this. They made their announcement to help end speculation. But then asked for privacy during this difficult time. This is an excellent example of what I think should be done if the tour is cancelled or postponed for a far longer period of time. Otherwise we'll have months of idle speculation, "Edgeling" comments and mean-spirited diatribes. In other words, these hugely popular public figures can't just hide away and expect their fans to disappear without comment.

Therefore, I reiterate my stand that *something* should be stated and I hope it's forthcoming in the next few weeks. In the interim, speculation is silly.

And that's that. Now, where are those psychics? Should I play the lottery?

Last edited:
keithbeech said:

I registered last night, to post on here for you all.

Take it at face value.

And to think........ I thought that sarcasm was reserved for the sole use of the Brits :)

Stop arguing though. Won't be posting again.

xxxxx

But... but... all you posted was "yes, it's true". :huh: What is true? A member of Edge's family is ill? Sheesh - we have like 5 reports stating that now - thanks for the "newsflash". ;) That it's Edge's daughter? That might be more information, but you didn't even state that! Nor did you provide any details. Gee, I can write "yep it's true" as well. Thank goodness I wrote that! Now we can all rest comfortably tonight.

As such, is it little wonder you were mocked until our voices were hoarse? :wink:

:|

This whole thing is starting to get out of hand here. There's too much speculation and bad vibes. I know everyone is upset and stressed for their own reasons but the speculations and the rumors need to stop. It's not helping anyone.

If Edge wants the public to know what's happening I'm sure something will be said. Until then, we should send our positive thoughts and prayers his way.

If it comes down to something like cancelling the tour, I'm sure we will be given an explaination. We just need to have a bit of paitence and courtesy right now.

Sorry if this seems out of line, but we shouldn't be bickering or getting ourselves worked up when we don't even know what's happening.

Thanks.

OK. I knew that was horrible, and I said so. I am going to bow out of this thread.

But I have to admit, I hadn't really taken the time to read the initial posts in this thread..all those pages back, and I am shocked that people could even be whining and griping and requiring the band to give some sort of "officiaL" reason. I'm shocked that we'd even be putting the tour "first" right now.

I was just trying to use my imagination and give an extreme example of how people drop thier prirites and come together and stop bickering, and imagine what might be happening in the U2 camp. This distressing train of thought was based on my own experience when my grandma who was sick, had a situation when a relative she hadn't spoken to for 30 yrs, they ended up dropping the feud. Of course we don't know anything about their relations and it isn't our business....

LIke I said, I know that was going to offend some people, and I deserve any rebuke. But I am truly sorry, and don't flame me, people. I hope you take the time to consider my post in the light I meant it to be.

Like I said, as far as ths thread is concerned, I am demoting myself to "lurker" status.

Peace, people, and here's to better times.

Last edited:
I regret making the Edgling comment. I can see thats going to haunt me. I was trying to change the language of the thread away from the "ill person" etc to something a little more human.

I guess I dont value "celebritiness" as much as some other people here. I dont believe celebritys owe us anything at all. U2 release an album, I purchase it, end of transaction. Anything on top of that is wonderful but I dont expect it.

As for the "ill person" - I hope that he/she receives as much privacy as they want/need. A "gossip worthy" illness divides local communities into those that care, and those that gossip and bitch. Which would be really fuckin unpleasant for the "ill person" . Thats all I meant. Leave him/her in peace to deal with the illness .

PS Im sure this post isnt making sense either, sorry. :(

Last edited:
Bono's Tart said:

Our father is we lost our mother almost 2 years ago to cancer and she was very proud of us ok?
Yet another condescending comment from another "user" I give up

You both chose your own names here, and they are quite amusing. And good that your folks are/were proud -- shows even tarts and lushes do indeed have families who care. ;)

Don't quite get the quotation marks around user. I post here, so do you. If I'm a "user" (however that differs from user -- sans quotation marks -- in your mind), then you are also a "user." I still don't know if it's a bad thing or not....

jammin909 said:
First and foremost, godbless whoever is sick. Its just so hard when you have your heart set on March 1. Being patient is so hard sometimes!

Yeah, of course it's disappointing. But as we've waited for a long time for this tour, a few weeks/months longer is hardly going to kill us. It's not as if the band has fallen off the face of the earth/split up/decided never to tour again. What's more important in the long run? The health of the ill family member, or us having to wait a little longer? Not a hard choice in my opinion.:shrug:

Chrisedge said:

Your automatically disqualified for misspelling "Psychic"

In which case, you should be automatically disqualified for thegrammatical error in mispelling "you're"! :) :)

Poor Edge. :(

Added later:

I should have read the whole thread before posting that...
doctorwho said:

But... but... you misspelled "you're". ;) Would a psychic have known that you'd make this mistake and purposely have made a mistake herself just to call you out on your mistake? Oooh...scary. :ohmy:

Doctorwho obviously beat me to it. :)

Last edited:
Edgette said:
:|

This whole thing is starting to get out of hand here. There's too much speculation and bad vibes. I know everyone is upset and stressed for their own reasons but the speculations and the rumors need to stop. It's not helping anyone.

If Edge wants the public to know what's happening I'm sure something will be said. Until then, we should send our positive thoughts and prayers his way.

If it comes down to something like cancelling the tour, I'm sure we will be given an explaination. We just need to have a bit of paitence and courtesy right now.

Sorry if this seems out of line, but we shouldn't be bickering or getting ourselves worked up when we don't even know what's happening.

Thanks.

You're welcome. :wave:

Oh, you weren't talking to me. Ne'er mind. :reject:

Actually, most of my posts are meant to be light-hearted for the very reasons you stated. We don't know. We don't know anything.

And, when we eventually do learn, I know I'll take the news in stride and respond accordingly and appropriately.

In the interim, I prefer to relax. Even if the truth was awful, there's nothing I can do other than hope and pray. So I do, for Edge and for everyone. :)

Edge doesnt have to explain anything to the fans or anyone else. Its his family and its his personal life which has nothing to do with any outsider.

okay found your post I didnt read them all before cause some peoples posts get a bit out of hand but I agree with you Bono's Tart as well and I am sorry for the loss of your mother :hug: I just think however Edge wants to deal with that then we should respect that and take the celebrity out of it. If and when he is ready there will be an announcement for the people that want it untill then I hope they get all the privacy the family needs..the best I can do is think positive thoughts for them.

doctorwho said:

You're welcome. :wave:

Oh, you weren't talking to me. Ne'er mind. :reject:

Actually, most of my posts are meant to be light-hearted for the very reasons you stated. We don't know. We don't know anything.

And, when we eventually do learn, I know I'll take the news in stride and respond accordingly and appropriately.

In the interim, I prefer to relax. Even if the truth was awful, there's nothing I can do other than hope and pray. So I do, for Edge and for everyone. :)

Sorry, I wasn't directing that to you or anyone in particular. But I know you don't mean any disrepect to Edge or the situation in your posts.

I just think that people - in general - are looking into this too much and are just strengthening the rumors. There's no reason to start guessing and making assumptions.

If we're meant to know, then we will.

:hug: :edge: :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom