MERGED-->stage design drawings, plans, speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LyricalDrug said:

Look how HUGE the stage would be otherwise--it would cover almost 30 percent of the floor.

might explain why we found it so hard to get GA rickets if that is the case, maybe there were fewer of them?

RA-D said:

might explain why we found it so hard to get GA rickets if that is the case, maybe there were fewer of them?

They have already stated that there is 1,700-1,800 per arena.

artdirector said:
BASED ON THE FEW INTERVIEWS WITH THE BAND:

If you look at the stage its oval for a reason. The circle (target) in the back will be rotating not in place but around the oval. There will not be GA inside this area. Why? Because when the band goes to the B stage NO ONE inside the oval will see them. If you were ever inside the heart in the last tour, when you looked back all you could see is ramp. You could never see beyond the ramp. All you saw was ramp and beedy eyes from people on the other side.

Now if the target does not rotate around the oval it will rotate in place much like the lemon in the pop mart did. It simply came out and delivered the guys and went back into place. Edge mentioned they were wanting to have a little bit of Zoo TV and Pop mart in the stage set-up. B stage = Zoo TV and Rotating Target = Popmart.

Last case scenario is the oval does not rotate but simply is a marker where the drummer is. I think this is not the case since you can never see its a target unless it starts rotating. Which if they are showing this in the arena map makes me want to believe it will have some significance.

my assesment.

Maybe the target will rise, with the band in the middle. At the start of the concert or halfway. The band will be elevated to the roof (like in the vertigo-clip), the stairs will roll down to the B-stage......etc something like that I guess

artdirector said:
OH SHIT!!! I just thought of something. What if the target in the background is not where Larry is located but its where the fans are located. Its a small pit where if you stand inside and see Bono running around you begin to feel "dizzy" Larry is in the center of the giant oval (right in front of this small exclusive spiral pit) while edge and adam are on either side. Weren't some tickets being sold as U2.com GA fanclub member tickets and others regular GA tickets. I believe so. I think the u2.com fanclub members who got this title on their tickets are the exclusive pit members. So in essence there is no rotating stage but there are rotating fans...folowing Bono, Edge and Adam wherever they go causing the vertigo experience.

I think you were smoking shit when you typed this. I liked your first interpretation, though.

wooohoooo a B-STAGE AKA ZOOTV, this is fantastic, maybe a stage setup to match? I CANT WAIT!!!!!!

KUEFC09U2 said:
wooohoooo a B-STAGE AKA ZOOTV, this is fantastic, maybe a stage setup to match? I CANT WAIT!!!!!!

betcha that isn't a B-Stage, it looks like more like the mixing desk.

The center line is probably where the cables will run.

artdirector said:

Edge mentioned they were wanting to have a little bit of Zoo TV and Pop mart in the stage set-up. B stage = Zoo TV and Rotating Target = Popmart.

B stage = Zoo TV
Making it all up at the last minute = PopMart

Too funny

First, let me say I am right with everyone in that the stage design is KILLING me. I can't wait to see what it looks like.

This is mostly because I've been reading the U2 - SHOW book recently, and (being in the design business myself), I'd give my left nut to work with their stage design teams - it sounds like a great environment for creativity. The band sound like they're just great clients too - they have ideas, they know what works and what doesn't - but they really want the designers to push the boundaries and do new things. I highly doubt that we'd see something that directly mimics anything from another tour. Sure, the Heart worked, and we'll most likely see some sort of device that serves the same purpose (that being to get the band "out" into the people somehow).

But this thread is just too hilarious. It's just ripe for a Saturday Night Live treatment - a la William Shatner and the Trekkies. "I think that U2 will arrive riding an atomic bomb like Slim Pickins at the end of Dr. Strangelove - and then, the stage will stay where it is, and the PEOPLE will rotate around the band... yeah, that's it!"

Again, I say the above only in jest, cus I'm just as geeked about the stage as you all (and I hope the B Stage part is true, cus my tickets would put me in the 1st seated row in front of it for one of the shows).

This is a cool setup with that B-stage(if that's what it is).

It's not in the round, but should give every fan in the place a great show like a center stage would.

:drool:

anyone else noticed that TM has changed the site back to it just being a normal stage again?

RA-D said:
anyone else noticed that TM has changed the site back to it just being a normal stage again?

Yeah, I was just gonna comment on that. Sucks though, because that would be a killer set-up.

Re: Too funny

OldTimerU2Fan said:
First, let me say I am right with everyone in that the stage design is KILLING me. I can't wait to see what it looks like.

But this thread is just too hilarious. It's just ripe for a Saturday Night Live treatment - a la William Shatner and the Trekkies. "I think that U2 will arrive riding an atomic bomb like Slim Pickins at the end of Dr. Strangelove - and then, the stage will stay where it is, and the PEOPLE will rotate around the band... yeah, that's it!"

I said it in a previous thread, and everyone laughed at me (they must have thought I was joking), but...

I just spoke to a guy whose cousin dates a girl who went to school at the same place as a guy who used to know someone who worked at the Boston Garden before they tore it down, and he told me that U2's stage at the Fleetcenter will feature an elevated catwalk that extends from the floor up to the first row of balcony section 314 (where I'll be sitting), and the band will deliver pizzas and beer to those lucky u2.com members (like me) seated at the tip throughout the show.

The now-missing Glendale chart was an early version of this plan, of course. They'll update it again when the details of the hydraulic lift are all worked out.

Re: Re: Too funny

hibricc said:

I just spoke to a guy whose cousin dates a girl who went to school at the same place as a guy who used to know someone who worked at the Boston Garden before they tore it down

You must know that dude pretty well, huh?

cardosino said:

betcha that isn't a B-Stage, it looks like more like the mixing desk.

The center line is probably where the cables will run.

I'll bet you're right...

Just a cool though....

I remember seeing a grammy( i think) stage a few years back where the monitor was the stage. What if the U2 stage was a monitor or parts of it for flashing color and designs? That could give a feeling of vertigo. who knows. I am sure it will be cool what ever it is.

Re: Re: Too funny

hibricc said:

I said it in a previous thread, and everyone laughed at me (they must have thought I was joking), but...

I just spoke to a guy whose cousin dates a girl who went to school at the same place as a guy who used to know someone who worked at the Boston Garden before they tore it down, and he told me that U2's stage at the Fleetcenter will feature an elevated catwalk that extends from the floor up to the first row of balcony section 314 (where I'll be sitting), and the band will deliver pizzas and beer to those lucky u2.com members (like me) seated at the tip throughout the show.

The now-missing Glendale chart was an early version of this plan, of course. They'll update it again when the details of the hydraulic lift are all worked out.
And it wasn't funny in the other thread either.

Re: Re: Re: Too funny

fmattyh said:
And it wasn't funny in the other thread either.

Yikes, tough crowd here fmattyh eh?

I think you're spot on... that little rectangular protrusion is actually a spring board diving platform where the high-dive-vertigo-inducing entrance will be made by the band.

I'm even more confused now. That image in the first thread is still showing and its just an

Re: Re: Re: Re: Too funny

OldTimerU2Fan said:

Yikes, tough crowd here fmattyh eh?

I think you're spot on... that little rectangular protrusion is actually a spring board diving platform where the high-dive-vertigo-inducing entrance will be made by the band.
:lol: It actually was rather humorous the first time...but the fact that he had to post it again to showcase his amazing humor kinda killed it for me. :wink:

Question bout the seats "behind the stage". I'm trying to decide whether to keep my seats behind the stage or try desperately to see if I could get my hands on something else.

Would I be able to see? If so, is it a good view? Will Bono turn around at all and recognize our existance?? Any help would be appreciated.

Its 3 seats at the first NJ show. Upper deck, not directly behind, but one sectio over.

I believe Headaches interpretation is accurate. There is the equivelant to the heart this time, inside the egg. The circles and the sides are the main stage. The video screens will be on the lighting rig, similiar to Elevation.

To the person that said you could see out of the front of the heart on Elevation, how tall are you?? LOL. The heart tapered down and at its point was about 4 feet high. You could see out into the arena easily from inside the heart. I remember being able to see Joe and Willie back at the sound desk very clearly. So I think your theory is incorrect as far as that goes. As others have pointed out if the box is a b stage it will probebly be slightly elevated anyway, so seeing it wont be a problem. I'm not sure though if it is a B stage or the mixing/lighting desk.

I have to say the ramp is a nice touch. Divides the floor up into 3 sections. It should eliminate alot of push that occurred outside the heart at the tip and sides that would sometimes occur on Elevation.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too funny

fmattyh said:
:lol: It actually was rather humorous the first time...but the fact that he had to post it again to showcase his amazing humor kinda killed it for me. :wink:

You're like those fans who U2 got sick of seeing in the front row night after night. I wonder how I can limit the number of threads you get to see.... hey, want to join my online fanclub?

Back
Top Bottom