MERGED-->Earplugs + Plugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muh2o

Acrobat
Earplugs

I know it's been talked about here and there non-specifically, but anyone who has not tried wearing earplugs, should. I have been to a lot of concerts in my time, and finally after getting sick of not being able to hear after one, I decided to try them. I'm glad I did. Not only was there zero ringing in my ears after the show, but the clarity of the show astounded me. It was though I was listening to a soundboard recording the entire time. I heard every word, every musical note with pristine quality.

Try it sometime, if not for the quality, but for the safety of your hearing.

I totally agree with you, muh2o. I got scared after my ears rang for 3 days after my last U2 concert, so I decided to try them. I wore them at last night's concert, and they made such a difference. I was worried about them being uncomfortable but they were completely fine. I used the Etymotic hi-fi ER-20's, and they worked like a dream-- much better than foam earplugs which tend to muffle the sound.

Do yourself a favor - wear the plugs. All the band members do.

Tinnitus sucks.

Where does everyone pick up thier ear plugs? (I pick them up for free at my work - so I never had to buy them, but I never knew there were better plugs out there)

I wear some... I think they're foam, but whatever...

the wander of the ear plugs is that you only hear the sounds.. not all the noice... the noice is what makes your ears hurt.. and with plugs you get to avoid the noice and hear a much clear sound...

If you don't know, go to a concert, and at any time press you ears with your fingers (I mean, cover the hole with that little flesh part that all ears have) and compare the sound... it's a world of difference

pookybear said:
I totally agree with you, muh2o. I got scared after my ears rang for 3 days after my last U2 concert, so I decided to try them. I wore them at last night's concert, and they made such a difference. I was worried about them being uncomfortable but they were completely fine. I used the Etymotic hi-fi ER-20's, and they worked like a dream-- much better than foam earplugs which tend to muffle the sound.

cool, thanks for that info!
where do you pick these guys up...I've seen a bunch at the pharmacy, but can't make heads nor tails of the different kinds. I see they're rated for decibel levels or something...
cheers!

for ny-ers and those seeing the show at msg, you might want to stop at b&h photo (9th ave b/t 33rd and 34th st) for earplugs. they sells the etymotic er-20's. i picked these babies up before another concert last month. they worked great friday night; the music is much more enjoyable and my ears dont ring anymore.

:up: Great idea to drown out the sound of those talking around you. That is one thing that really annoys me at concerts when I really want to enjoy the show and there's a bunch of schmucks talking. Grrrrrrrrrrr.....

After a combination of events in May (the last of which being the U2 MSG show) I got tinnitus.

It is annoying, and pretty much depressing, but since then I have decided to wear ear plugs to every show I go to no matter how silly they look.

To be honest - not only was Friday's show much clearer, I heard eery word Bono said, something I have not been able to do in years.

My ears did not ring after the show, and it was a much more pleasurable experience.

I am glad you posted this - if it prevents anyone else from getting tinnitus, that would make me happy.

It really sucks.

I used ear plugs at the u2 show i went to and it worked out fine. I could hear the music perfectly, and my ears weren't ringing afterwards

I've been wearing earplugs at every concert for about 3 years now, and I can barely remember what it's like to have my ears ringing.

I swear by the Hearos Hi-Fidelity series. They go for about $12 at musicians friend.

http://www.hearos.com/products-00211.htm

I wore them at MSG 2 last night. I forgot they were there until I took them out for "40"

My voice is gone, but my ears feel great!

-Mike

i used earplugs on the first leg of the tour for kings of leon only... took them out for U2 - i really enjoy the music as it is and felt good that i was saving my ears for half of it at least...

thanks for the recommendation. i think i'll pick some up for my dad; he's so worried about surviving GA with me.

Cool, I am taking my six year old daughter in November and I was looking online today for some earmuffs and found them for children at that site, I think I will pick up some ear plugs too for the hubby and I. I have serious hearing loss for being only 35, and I swear it comes from a Joan Jett concert when I was about 12:sad:

Thanks for the advice in this thread, I was thinking of getting earplugs myself after getting a 2-day ringing after a recent concert I was at. One question though, with those Etymotic hi-fi ER-20s is one pair enough? Or are they kind of disposable - will they get lost/people steal them etc? Thanks in advance for any help...

Re: Earplugs

muh2o said:
I know it's been talked about here and there non-specifically, but anyone who has not tried wearing earplugs, should. I have been to a lot of concerts in my time, and finally after getting sick of not being able to hear after one, I decided to try them. I'm glad I did. Not only was there zero ringing in my ears after the show, but the clarity of the show astounded me. It was though I was listening to a soundboard recording the entire time. I heard every word, every musical note with pristine quality.

Try it sometime, if not for the quality, but for the safety of your hearing.

Great advice, I will try it the next concert i'll attend!! Thanx!

i wore earplugs on saturday, because i was five feet from the stage on friday.... i thought i could hear things a little better... but then i took them off for sunday bloody sunday... yeah, sounded alot better

I've been using earplugs for a few years now and I'm so glad I started. I take them with me to every show I attend. It's worth looking a little unhip to conserve your hearing and it really does improve the sound sometimes.

I use Hearos (Rock 'n Roll model). They're inexpensive, and don't stick way out of your ears like some of the other earplugs out there.
http://www.hearos.com/products-00309.htm

Can someone explain to me why concerts have to be that loud? I realize you have to drown out all the people who are chit-chatting and stuff and it makes sense in an outdoor stadium where the sound has to carry further, but I still think it's way louder than it needs to be. I think a level about two thirds or maybe even half what it usually is would be sufficient. Why subject people to such dangerous decibel levels?

Thee Kavorka said:
if you are going to multiple concerts, i recommeded earplugs. Otherwise, go for it. live a little. it doesn't sound better!!!

These were my thoughts until I lived a little.

I now have a very hard time going to sleep at night EVERY NIGHT because of the ringing in my head.

Earplugs should be worn at every show anyone goes to - no two ways about it - you cannot predict when tinnitus, or hearing loss will happen.

It could happen on one note!

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
Also... is buying off their Yahoo store safe?? Has anyone done it? Do they get my credit card number or do I pay through PayPal?

Thanks again! :)

One pair should be enough. They're not the disposable kind and come in a carrying case, so just don't be careless about them and you won't lose them (get a neck cord if you're paranoid about it). I bought mine off that Yahoo store and paid with credit card. It was totally fine, no problems.

thanks for all this info everyone!
I think for sure I will have some to bring and likely use.
It would really suck to lose hearing, or to have issues like tinnitus...I'm so sorry ouizy!
As it is I think I must have some issue with my hearing, or at least such constant allergy/sinus probs that I always feel all stuffy hearing-wise.
When I went to U2 in May, yeah, KOL like jilly_mullenjr says, was waaay too loud. I never thought U2 themselves were too loud, but the crowd sure was! It was the highpitched shrill screaming of so many thousands that got to me...
cheers!

ouizy said:

These were my thoughts until I lived a little.

I now have a very hard time going to sleep at night EVERY NIGHT because of the ringing in my head.

Earplugs should be worn at every show anyone goes to - no two ways about it - you cannot predict when tinnitus, or hearing loss will happen.

It could happen on one note!

By that logic, people should where earplugs all the time.

live a little. if you go to one concert and lose your hearing... it must be genetic. otherwise, 20000 people would be suing U2 after every show.

Thee Kavorka said:

By that logic, people should where earplugs all the time.

live a little. if you go to one concert and lose your hearing... it must be genetic. otherwise, 20000 people would be suing U2 after every show.

with all due respect, I don't think we know how this sort of thing happens (please correct me if there's an expert among us!).
I think it's established that some people are more sensitive to hearing loss from loud high-pitched noises, but nobody knows ahead of time do they whether they're one of them right?
yeah, one can wear a hardhat all the time just in case a brick falls off a building, but if you're on a construction site, where bricks fall off buildings more predictably.....
I'm not one of those tort-reform people but I don't think anyone would have a case, even if everyone's ears were ringing for weeks afterwards and half of them had actual injury!
to each his own o' course!

cheers...

Back
Top Bottom