Looking back... Was Milan the right choice for the DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:shrug: That Amsterdam Arena certainly looks beautiful but I guess U2 thought they owed a little to the Italian people....

What do you mean by the stadium extending the Vertigo stage? :confused:

I'm glad we got the string orchestra in Milan and OOTS. I could make som critical remarks about the setlist, but I'm sure the DVD is gonna look fine.

U2Man said:
What do you mean by the stadium extending the Vertigo stage? :confused:
This was a remark of Willie... He said that the roof was impressive and sort of extends the Vertigo stage (big steel construction)...

The thing is... When I look at the Amsterdam photo's... It all looks perfect... A packed GA section... Black backdrops... Impressive lichting and video (thanks to the smoke/closedroof/backdrops)... Almost screenshots of a DVD :wink:

Let me put it this way... U2 never played the Arena before... Maybe these 3 dates convinced them to do a shoot next stadium tour (though the sound is a pain in the ass inthere)... They wouldn't be the first to do so you see..

Last edited:
Yes, those pictures from Amsterdam 3 look stellar. However, I think you could have the same quality from Milan too.

(gasp! :reject: )

21072005_151420.jpg

Popmartijn said:
Yes, those pictures from Amsterdam 3 look stellar. However, I think you could have the same quality from Milan too.

21072005_151420.jpg
now am assuming them visuals are the new ones from MD, :drool:

sorry neilz but that milan pic looks out of this world, litreally

Popmartijn said:

21072005_151420.jpg
That video was brandnew for Miracle Drug... So not really fair to compare this pic...

Amsterdam photo's :

18072005_120240.jpg
18072005_115108.jpg

18072005_115023.jpg
18072005_115351.jpg

18072005_121218.jpg
18072005_121147.jpg

Last edited:
Neilz said:

That video was brandnew for Miracle Drug... So not really fair to compare this pic...

18072005_120240.jpg
18072005_115108.jpg

18072005_115023.jpg
18072005_115351.jpg
i think it would be unfair to compare the 2 concerts through pictures

Neilz said:
I mean, watching all these photo's from Amsterdam... This would have looked great on DVD, better than Milan imo... I know that it's dark earlier in Milan and that the stadium is sort of extends the Vertigo stage... But man, these Amsterdam photo's (3rd night specially) look awesome!

http://www.u2neophobia.com/concerts/concert_fiche.php?id_concert=54

Oh yes, impressive pictures but imho the wall of people you have in San Siro is something quite peculiar (only Nou Camp can compare to this feeling)... ..the stadium is just like an arena for 75.000 ppl...

Maybe Dublin 3 deserved a DVD for the setlist :drool: :drool: :drool:

but Milan 1 & 2 deserved a DVD for the INCREDIBLE crowd and the choreography of U2placer Sbruty. :drool:

KUEFC09U2 said:
i think it would be unfair to compare the 2 concerts through pictures
I'm not talking about setlists... Not about the form of the band... Just on how the stadium+crowd looks with the Vertigo show... And it's a close call... Personally : Amsterdam :drool:

Do you have some similar pictures of the crowd from Milan? Gotta admit, those Amsterdam pictures....:drool:

KUEFC09U2 said:
were you at a'dam by any chance neil?
Fair question.. You probably know the awnser.. But that has nothing to do with my opinion really.. It sounds weird, but if I had the feeling that the the Brussels stadium would have been the perfect venue, I would have asked the same about Brussels vs Milan you know.. Really..

As I said already.. I'm not talking about the setlists, or the form of the band.. Just the visuals.. The Amsterdam Arena is used for DVD recording ver often you know.. The setting was (and ís at every gig in the Arena) perfect for a shoot.. The pictures don't lie..

I see your point, Neil. The Amsterdam Arena seems like a very perfect and fitting place to record the DVD....but I still think it had to do with U2 thinking that they owed the Italians something...which I think is fair enough, and since the setup in Milan looks great too, I don't think we need to worry about the DVD, at least not the visual side of it....

U2Man said:
I see your point, Neil. The Amsterdam Arena seems like a very perfect and fitting place to record the DVD....but I still think it had to do with U2 thinking that they owed the Italians something...which I think is fair enough, and since the setup in Milan looks great too, I don't think we need to worry about the DVD, at least not the visual side of it....
I'm sure U2 had it's reasons indeed... But many big names recorded their shows in the Amsterdam Arena the second time/tour they got there (Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, etc)... Maybe U2 will do the same :wink:

Hope there will be a bootleg DVD of Amsterdam 3 anyway... Priceless...

Neilz said:

As I said already.. I'm not talking about the setlists, or the form of the band.. Just the visuals..

iN FACT THE vISUALS IN AMSTERDAM ARE STUNNING!

Btw Now I remember an important thing about Milano San Siro:

As usual (in Milan they do so) the stage was specially built in front of the numbered grandstand and not on one of the two side, so there was more intimacy between band and crowd. :drool:

I was in the pit at Edge's feet and turning back and looking at all those people behind me was exciting but also scaring!!!!
:ohmy:

U2Man said:

Why would U2 owe the Italians something?
:confused:

Popmartijn said:

Haha, got me there :wink:

Nah, Italy has been one of U2's biggest and loyal markets during their entire history and during the Elevation tour, I think Italy only got one show, and they've never recorded a DVD before in Italy....

Popmartijn said:

Maybe saying that they owe Italian fans something is too much.
One of the reason is that in Turin 2001 we defeated them with an incredible passion. And believe me, they were absolutely excited! and they always had troubles in order to organize gigs in Italy.

Btw: what better place to sing a song which has Italian words and it's like a piece of Opera??? idem for Sometimes.

"You are the reason why opera is in me!"

Italy is the birthplace of Opera and La Scala is in Milan... ..it must have something to do with Bob Hewson's love for Operas.

P.S. Miss Sarayevo full band/bono version is 1 zillion times better than Pavarotti's version. :drool:

U2Man said:

Haha, got me there :wink:

Nah, Italy has been one of U2's biggest and loyal markets during their entire history and during the Elevation tour, I think Italy only got one show, and they've never recorded a DVD before in Italy....

Don't forget the loyalty of those crazy Dutchmen. U2 came to the Netherlands 4 1/2 years before coming first to Italy. And they've never recorded a DVD in the Netherlands too. :wink:

But considering the sunset situation, I do think that Milan was a better choice.

Popmartijn said:

Don't forget the loyalty of those crazy Dutchmen. U2 came to the Netherlands 4 1/2 years before coming first to Italy. And they've never recorded a DVD in the Netherlands too. :wink:

But considering the sunset situation, I do think that Milan was a better choice.

All true, and you can't please everyone at the same time, right? This time it was apparently Italy's turn, and let's just congratulate them....:wink:

Popmartijn, I agree.

It's hard for me to say, I wasnt at either and both shows looked amazing judging by the pics. But the Dutch crowd has that extra history with u2, they have been supporting the band since the early days. They should get the DVD :wink:

Yes, I'm Dutch.

Could we quit all this half-childish, nationalistic BS and just congratulate the Italians.....please people :wink:

hey why do you always have to put us down neilz?? :wink:
eh just kidding...
here's some Italian crowd btw!

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

panorama1.jpg

normal_varie20025.jpg

and THIS... :love:

hibob.jpg

and at last... SANSIRO!!!

sansirooo.jpg

...now tell me: won't that look great on a DVD?? :ohmy:

ps: hey cybersyd, are you from Italy perhaps?

Popmartijn said:
U2 came to the Netherlands 4 1/2 years before coming first to Italy.

alright I'm OFFICIALLY SICK of that line! I've read it about THOUSAND of times before, and now my question is... what the hell have we got to do with that?? :sad:
that was their decision... doesn't mean they didn't have fans in Italy back then... quite the opposite actually! :D
you cannot consider Dutch people more loyal, or more deserving, just because of that... I'd expect better of you, really.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom