Looking back... Was Milan the right choice for the DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think you can consider it as an indoor show, though.... U2 played at the Stadio Comunale of Modena, once, and that was considered as an indoor show even though the venue is a stadium, because its capacity is more that of an indoor venue.
bigger stadium like (say) SanSiro or Delle Alpi (which in fact has a capacity of 70.000)... IMO, THAT you can consider outdoor :yes:

zooholland: I didn't mean to get hostile, but you'll have to admit, your countryman Neilz has been a bit too rough there... :eyebrow:
now, on to the topic, I've got a question for you; according to you, U2 (or their management, whatever) decide where to shot a dvd for technical reasons; so basically you're saying they shot a dvd in Dublin and in Boston ONLY because it was handier and/or cheaper? ....I don't think so, and neither do you, I hope...

But to only think your country is the place for them is like thinking bono sings the song especially for you

why would I think that? I don't understand your reasoning here. :huh:

i have personally hear him say at the amsterdam show that amsterdam was the second homecoming for them

in Milan and Rome, Bono said it was like coming back home, and that Italy is like a second home to him... and so he said in Nice :eyebrow:
as I wrote before, :bono: = :blahblah:

Now could we all get along again (especially the italy vs holland thing)

as I said, I've got nothing against Holland... quite the opposite actually :wink: I'm pretty sure if U2 will tour Europe again I'll come there to see them!
in fact, I'm surprised this thread is still on and going... and if you read my first comment from yesterday, you'll see that it didn't have any polemical purpose... it was (it is) just my opinion, it's not meant to be criticized... it's just my point of view. call me romantic or whatever, I don't care. I STILL think they chose Milan. that doesn't mean they prefer Italy over Holland, but to say they don't consider Italy special, or that they consider Italy just like they do Iceland or Finland or whatever... that's not fair, nor true. and I'm truly sorry for you, if you can't see that... :sad:
I'm not saying U2 don't consider Holland special, I know they do. just like they do with Ireland, Italy and Spain... why can you accept that they think that way of Holland, but you won't admit they've got a soft spot for Italy, too? I don't see it. :sad:
I hope that's not just because you're Dutch... that would be truly sad.

ps: please, PLEASE, don't say that thing about U2 coming to Holland earlier... I can't stand it. :wink:

Last edited:
I mean i have personally hear him say at the amsterdam show that amsterdam was the second homecoming for them but if im not mistaking he also says that on some other boots in other countries.[/B]

Said it in Chicago during Vertigo tour.

somehow it always ends up like this with me and Neilz... I'm usually a nonviolent person, but he always manages to bring out the worst in me :wink:
so personally, I've got nothing against this thread being closed... it might be for the best :shrug: :yes: :hug:

Was Sydney the right place for Zoo TV?
Was Mexico The right place for PopMart (it was Going to be Sydney again!)
Was Boston and Slane Right for Elevation?

Is Geroge Bush the right president for America?
Should I stop writing this post?
Well?

@ sraphim

My previous comments werent aimed at you personally .I didnt mean you would think bono is singing songs especialy for you, it was more an argument for me to point out that some fans can get a little excited sometimes and see thing that are actually mabye not entirely true (which i can understand since its done out of excitement for the band and probabaly true in their eyes). So that doesnt mean im talking about you cause ...well i wouldnt know if that was true and im definetly not out to become hostile to you (i think i wasnt in my previuos post ,hope you dindnt take it that way).

But i do still think that several reasons are responsible for where the dvd is shot. I didnt say that italy meant nothing for them and that they could have shot it in iceland. Because one of the reasons is probably also the crowd and the stadium. But i also think that they will consider things like costs ,number of dates, how soon it gets dark, availability of certain technicians etc not just how loud the fans are.

BTW my comments about iceland fans (are there any? :wink: ) is not to say they could have shot the dvd there but more to say that if your a fan of U2 and live in a remote place it doesnt mean your less of a fan or that "bono doesnt like you". That was more of a response on the fact that the argument became a little nationalistic (while in fact my amsterdam experiences were great but the first night i went i was actually surrounded by irish people in the crowd, should i consider them dutch crowd :hmm: ).

I dont understand why you say that i dont just say that cause im dutch. I think i didnt say anything to promote my country in my previous post (i actually tried to do no such thing because that would distract from the point i was making).

and the last comment: Im not gonna say they went here first simply becuase of the fact i wasnt a fan back then. To be honest i was actually really late to the U2 party :wink: which i will regret for the rest of my life cause i missed Zoo Tv because of that :sad:

bono_man2002 said:
Was Sydney the right place for Zoo TV?
Was Mexico The right place for PopMart (it was Going to be Sydney again!)
Was Boston and Slane Right for Elevation?

Is Geroge Bush the right president for America?
Should I stop writing this post?
Well?

Was Sydney the right place for Zoo TV? no
Was Mexico The right place for PopMart no
Was Boston and Slane Right for Elevation? yes and yes

Is Geroge Bush the right president for America? no
Should I stop writing this post? NOOOOOOOOO

Popmartijn said:

why what?

the shows you mean or the president?
sydney was great but I think there are better shows than that one..it doens't matter like I said Sydney rocked
Mexicocity is an absolute anti climax in the live hystory of U2, Bono can't sing, do not like that video at all..and I thought popmart ruled.
boston and slane were both good and I understand why they chose Slane(it rules and the homecomming aspect is important of course)

G. W. Bush isn't a president...
he is a guy who you would sit down with in a bar and who tells rude jokes about girls...when I think about it.."George, when are we going for a pint "

zwervers2 said:

why what?

the shows you mean or the president?
sydney was great but I think there are better shows than that one..it doens't matter like I said Sydney rocked
Mexicocity is an absolute anti climax in the live hystory of U2, Bono can't sing, do not like that video at all..and I thought popmart ruled.
boston and slane were both good and I understand why they chose Slane(it rules and the homecomming aspect is important of course)

I didn't quote your reaction to GW Bush, so I'm not interested in hearing your argumentation for that choice. :wink:

As for Sydney, I think your argumentation is a bit confusing. You say that Sydney was great, but that there are better shows. OK, I get that reasoning (although I do want to point out that you never know beforehand if a show turns out to be great or not). But then you say that U2 should have filmed Boston, while that show wasn't one of the best either. It was good, but there were lots of better shows that tour.
So why have the Nay on Sydney and the Yay on Boston?

BTW, I don't agree with you on the result of Mexico City, but your argument is clear on that one. :)

Popmartijn said:

I didn't quote your reaction to GW Bush, so I'm not interested in hearing your argumentation for that choice. :wink:

As for Sydney, I think your argumentation is a bit confusing. You say that Sydney was great, but that there are better shows. OK, I get that reasoning (although I do want to point out that you never know beforehand if a show turns out to be great or not). But then you say that U2 should have filmed Boston, while that show wasn't one of the best either. It was good, but there were lots of better shows that tour.
So why have the Nay on Sydney and the Yay on Boston?

BTW, I don't agree with you on the result of Mexico City, but your argument is clear on that one. :)

I don't know popmartijn...I'm just not very good in argumentation today..I'm tired :|

Boston should get a no also...sydney is great but I think the no has more to do with the absence of a zootv indoorshow on video(dvd)...hahaha I've got it: Sydney would be great if there would have been a zootv show also...

:huh:

Popmartijn said:

The Mexicothing is easy...I couldn't bare hearing Bono say"donde esta" or something in such a totally exhausted gay over the top(don't know which one to choose) again ever in my life...I love pop, I love popmart but I think the mexico popmart video is not as good as some of the other shows I've seen live or on dvd..

zwervers2 said:

I don't know popmartijn...I'm just not very good in argumentation today..I'm tired :|

Boston should get a no also...sydney is great but I think the no has more to do with the absence of a zootv indoorshow on video(dvd)...hahaha I've got it: Sydney would be great if there would have been a zootv show also...

:huh:
there is a pro-shot dvd floating about of ZooTv stockholm which is indoor. and an AMAZING concert. with adam even doing some backing vocals,

i suppose they could turn that into a official DVD and have 2 boxsets. a ZooTv boxset feauring ZooTv Sydney, and the indoor show in stockholm

and the vertigo boxset featuring indoor chigago outdoor milan:drool:

KUEFC09U2 said:
there is a pro-shot dvd floating about of ZooTv stockholm which is indoor. and an AMAZING concert. with adam even doing some backing vocals,

i suppose they could turn that into a official DVD and have 2 boxsets. a ZooTv boxset feauring ZooTv Sydney, and the indoor show in stockholm

and the vertigo boxset featuring indoor chigago outdoor milan:drool:

Yeah I have the zootv stockholm dvd(well sort of) and I woudl love to have this released officialy..a boxset is a great idea...
but then it would have to be a 3box set:
zootv, zooropa, zoomerang or a 4box with zootv outside broadcast..

I know I would buy this box!!!

sraphim said:
somehow it always ends up like this with me and Neilz... I'm usually a nonviolent person, but he always manages to bring out the worst in me :wink:
so personally, I've got nothing against this thread being closed... it might be for the best :shrug: :yes: :hug:
So I've noticed... See I'm not shouting or swearing at you but your blood seems to go to boiling point when you read a reply from me! So maybe you need to calm down a bit and dropt the hostile attitude! This topic doesn't need to be closed IMO, just more appreciation!

One small correction here. The Dutch concerts were also considered outdoor concert. U2 played 3 concerts in a (small) soccer stadium. Granted, the roof was closed, but IMO, stadiums are outdoor concerts. :wink:
In 2001 U2 played stadium sized in 4 countries : Ireland (2), Holland (3), Italy (1) and Germany (1)... I can't believe why you keep bringing up that Turin gig sraphim! I'm sure it was great, but I don't hear anyone else bring up the special outdoor Elevation dates either!

Furthermore; I agree with zooholland 100%... I can't adress this enough but I (and i guess the same goes for zooholland) am not promoting Holland just because I'm Dutch! Infact, I hate the attitude of fans saying they have witnessed the best-ever U2 concert only because they were there! That's so ignorant! If you know a little bit of U2's history it's more than abvious that U2 has special bonds with Ireland (duh), Holland and Boston! One special gig in Turin won't get you up on that list... MHO...

Last edited:
zwervers2 said:

Yeah I have the zootv stockholm dvd(well sort of) and I woudl love to have this released officialy..a boxset is a great idea...

am sure you would buy the vertigo one aswell :wink:

zwervers2 said:

But people who háve seen Zooropa also know that Zoo-TV in Sydney was not how the show really looked like during the normal shows... Sydney was taped perfectly! The best tour-video ever! Stockholm is great to have of course (I have 2 versions), but not so much for the non-fans or people who haven't seen Zoo-TV live... Sydney still is the ultimate Zoo-TV show for video... There is also a very good proshot out there from the Outside Broadcast tour... The Philips DCC version... It isn't by fár as good as Sydney...

KUEFC09U2 said:
am sure you would buy the vertigo one aswell :wink:

of course I would...make it a boxset of Chicago IV, Boston II, Croke III, Amsterdam III and Milan and I'm more than happy:wink:

Neilz said:

But people who háve seen Zooropa also know that Zoo-TV in Sydney was not how the show really looked like during the normal shows... Sydney was taped perfectly! The best tour-video ever! Stockholm is great to have of course (I have 2 versions), but not so much for the non-fans or people who haven't seen Zoo-TV live... Sydney still is the ultimate Zoo-TV show for video... There is also a very good proshot out there from the Outside Broadcast tour... The Philips DCC version... It isn't by fár as good as Sydney...

best tourvideo ever is Devotional by Depeche Mode shot by Anton Corbijn but that's a different topic...:wink:

You are right about the taping of Sydney...It was really good but it was not as "raw"as some of the other shows..Still sydney kicks a lot of concertvideos butt of course

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think the band considers Italy and Netherlands to be more special than
any other countries. Why do so many people want to feel like their country is extra special to the band?

Although I suppose you could check where they own homes. That may say something.

zwervers2 said:

best tourvideo ever is Devotional by Depeche Mode shot by Anton Corbijn (that's almost a biblical experience)but that's a different topic...:wink:

You are right about the taping of Sydney...It was really good but it was not as "raw"as some of the other shows..Still sydney kicks a lot of concertvideos butt of course

DanB said:
If it makes you feel any better, I don't think the band considers Italy and Netherlands to be more special than
any other countries. Why do so many people want to feel like their country is extra special to the band?

because they live there? :huh:

DanB said:
This is a very interesing point of you! See I don't (really don't!) want to feel that U2 finds Holland special... Still (even if I wasn't Dutch) I know that some of the countries mentioned are special to them! And it get's proven every tour, again and again...

Back
Top Bottom