I have a feeling that Kayne West is going to be booed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Somehow rap doesn't belong with U2's catagory...

If Kelis was an opener, and the review weren't that good, chances are Kayne isn't great either.

Opening acts start at 7:40 or so, they play for about 45 minutes or so, U2 takes the stage around 9... do yourself a favor and skip this, what a drag. :huh:

Well, about Kelis, she was horrible live. Don't know about Kanye West.

But I heard that Public Enemy, Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy, Rage Against The Machine and Fun Lovin' Criminals were pretty good as U2 openers.
And I didn't mind Die Sohne Mannheims when I saw them in Cologne on the Elevation Tour.

And are Stereo MCs too dancey to be considered rap or do they still count?

:sigh:

So were now predicting (advocating?) the booing of support acts that don't fit into to our narrow little musical universe? Fuck's sake.

Look at it this way - are U2's OWN tastes that narrow? I don't think so, unless Bono has lied about his tastes in about forty million interviews.

That's funny. I was just listening to Kanye West this morning and thinking to myself how much potential he has to make those shows really rocking. I only wish I could go to one of them but my schedule won't allow it. It sucks.

So ... because Kelis was bad, Kanye will be bad? Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.

There will be people who can't stand him, there will be people who will be into it (like me), there will be people who will act like assholes about it, and there will be people who aren't familiar with him and maybe intrigued enough to go buy his album.

Yeah, I remember people going crazy at when Public Enemy opened in Vancouver in 1992. It was awesome. Having the Sugarcubes as the third opener was just icing on the cake.

ramblin rose said:
That's funny. I was just listening to Kanye West this morning and thinking to myself how much potential he has to make those shows really rocking. I only wish I could go to one of them but my schedule won't allow it. It sucks.

Agreed. :up: they STILL haven't announced an opener for Cleveland...but I'd be happy if Kanye opened. Or better yet, Outkast :drool: too bad that will never happen.

Don't think he will get booed...people who dislike it will just go hit the bar until he finishes! Maybe he will convert a few new fans?

I know I have bought three or four cd's of bands who supported on this tour, so it is a win-win situation for those bands.

If he get's booed, then they are stupid.
Placing judgment on an act before you hear them is
stupid. He is pretty good live, one of the few rappers
that can pull it off nowadays.
I'm sure he considers this an honor to open for U2 and the
chance to gain more fans that might not know who he is is a great
thing.

Late Registration is a very FUN album. It's just as much about the music as the lyrics. And I feel that all the samples/backing tracks will have people dancing. If he uses live musicians even more so. If you like old soul music, you're at least going to enjoy that part of it.

Don't underestimate Kanye's ability to entertain. There will be many sticks in the mud but I agree with the others above that he will convert many new fans during these shows, possibly people who will buy their first hip hop album.

I am so bummed I'm not going to one of these shows, and have to settle for Sean Ono Lennon--I mean Damien Marley.

One more thing: theu2fly doesn't care about black people.

AtomicBono said:

Agreed. :up: they STILL haven't announced an opener for Cleveland...but I'd be happy if Kanye opened. Or better yet, Outkast :drool: too bad that will never happen.

I think the Super Furry Animals will be opening for the remaining shows with unannounced openers.

personally i think kanye west is one of the greatest rapper around, and is hugely accepted here in the UK charts. in fact i wouldn't put it past kanye west to have sold just as much records as U2's atomic bomb in america. he is 100% 'the best thing since...' to hit american shores in a long time. his lyrics, just like some of the U2 songs, have a political edge to them from Jesus Walks to Diamonds From Sierra Leone. he uses a lot of samples in his music, as can be found credited in his album sleeves.

so far though, he's just released his second album 'Late Registration' following on from 2004's hugely successful 'The College Droupout'.

for me, i consider Kanye to be *currently* my fave act of 2004 & 2005 (along with u2 of course), and i place him as one of my fave acts along with oasis, runrig & indeed u2. i saw kanye live at live8 philly and various other live videos/audio and it is a pleasure to listen to such fine, well crafted music.

i'm not asking you all to believe me but i think it is totally lame and pathetic that some people are already prejudging him just because he is a rapper, and i hope that he doesn't get booed off-stage. he is definetely worthy of a chance to perform and i promise to you that he will put on an energetic show.

as a final thought though, if you are interested in listening to some of kanye's music then i suggest you listen to either of the following tracks:

*touch the sky
*diamonds from sierra leone
*hey mama
*family business

if anyone does bother to download/buy this then let me know what you think of them, and hopefully for once we settle this issue.

if a rapper can take interest in a rock band, then i'm sure u2 fans can do themselves proud by respecting this talented artist.

michael

I'm looking forward to seeing him perform - it is a show that I wouldn't normally go see but I like his music

St. Louis crowds are normally very friendly (they clap when the opposing team makes a good play) - I really doubt he will be booed here. The show has the potential to be really great

Kanye def is one of the best rappers to come around in a long time.He definently has lots of heart.Diamonds From Sierra Leone is awesome! DAMN you guys are lucky, Im getting Damien Marley , I guess its "Welcome to Jamrock" for me:( But who knows maybe Ill even enjoy that!

no doubt i'd rather see kanye perform than u2 anyway. if he gets booed, then people should turn around to those booring and boo them in kind.

boo yeah

from what i hear, kanye puts on a great show. i hate how people are against seeing an opener. Keane was great. worst case scenario, you don't like it. its not like you have to pay extra. tickets to see kanye are at a high demand for his shows in general. i am sure he really wants to open for u2 and is willing to put his rap-ego (if one exists) to be an "opener" for one of the top rock bands of all time. i say people who arent sure if they will like him should just go and relax :)

martha said:
If people boo Kanye West, then they are stupid. No one has to like him, but booing is immature and lame. :tsk:

wasn't it Prince who got booed opening for the Stones at the L.A. Coliseum back in the 80s. Some people have no class... And/or are afraid of the unknown (I haven't even read all of this thread :reject: )

I already went to Chi u2 show 9/21. Had to go again once I heard Kanye is opening for u2. StL baby! Anyways, everyone is entitled to an opinion but I believe that noone should boo or shoud I say "hate" on any type of music. I know that a lot of u2 fans are of one blood, rock and roll and nothing else. That is fine. I am in the middle. I love u2, I love hip hop. Yep, rap is crap and all they talk about is sex, drugs and money. But none the less, it would be funny to see a square u2 fan at a hip hop concert. Betcha you would have fun. I think thatanyone looking at someone else and judging the way they are should look at themselves and clean up their own act first. Everyone just wants to be a rock star in the dope show so love and peace forever fashizzle my brotha.

Zoomerang96 said:
no doubt i'd rather see kanye perform than u2 anyway.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! on you Zoomerang. :wink:

I disagree with Kanye's politics, if you can call it that, but he's not a bad rapper/hip hopper. With that being said, he's not my first choice for an opening act. I'm glad that I saw DC and Keane. Wish I had been able to catch the Stereophonics during Elevation.

Last edited:
i almost wish people would boo so that u2 and kanye could come up on stage and tell yall to shove it.
seen kanye 3x already in the chi in '04 alone, he wont dissappoint since he's a crazy perfectionist

whoops.... but I do agree the pairing does not make any sense, even tho I listen to hiphop. I want to hear arcade fire, but Kanye is the reason I am going again to see vertigo...

kanye politics, yeah, you just have to ignore...

The great thing about U2 is that they expose their fans to a wide range of artists. With such a wide variety of artists influencing U2 over the decades, it makes perfect sense that they would stray outside of a formula to bring musicians they find interesting and inspiring to their audiences. If you don't like the music (or find the politics of the artist distasteful), practice your freedom of choice and go out into the foyer during the performance. I for one was certainly not thinking about opening acts when I obtained my tickets for shows so many months ago.

As somone posted earlier, the 1992 Vancouver show with Public Enemy and Sugarcubes was fantastic! It was like attending a mini music festival with the diversity of artists performing that night. Personally, I can't wait to see Kanye West in Portland--it will be great to see two very different showmen onstage in the same evening. Who knows, Kanye may even nudge Bono to raise the bar even higher than usual that night!

Back
Top Bottom