Glasgow Stage built sideways?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All concerts at Hampden are set up this way - it's because the new South Stand (oppsoite the stage) is huge compared with the other stands.

Thats the 5th time U2 have played a stadium in Scotland and they have all been sold out although Popmart at Murrayfield did look a wee bit patchy at the back of the stands. Maybe everyone was still in mourning !! :huh:

My big brother was sitting at the concert and he saw a steward get fired on the spot.
Some of the seating crowd at the gate this steward was covering were pointing into random places and saying "What the f*** is that?" so the steward would turn round, then they would proceed to jump the gate into GA, this continued for so long that the steward left and it got out of control. After lots of people got over the gate...my bro saw the supervisor sack him. LOL.
So if it was patchy at the seating on Adam's side at all....that's why.

Boozyuzi said:
All concerts at Hampden are set up this way - it's because the new South Stand (oppsoite the stage) is huge compared with the other stands.

Thats the 5th time U2 have played a stadium in Scotland and they have all been sold out although Popmart at Murrayfield did look a wee bit patchy at the back of the stands. Maybe everyone was still in mourning !! :huh:

I think there is some rule at Murrayfield that everyone who is standing has to have a seat available(my mate's dad works there). At popmart you could freely move between teh lower tier and the GA area. This was also the same of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers (I was working there though not watching because I think they are a bunch of cocks!) So Murrayfield can look like it is not sold out which kind of ruins the atmosphere.

jackbauer said:
My big brother was sitting at the concert and he saw a steward get fired on the spot.
Some of the seating crowd at the gate this steward was covering were pointing into random places and saying "What the f*** is that?" so the steward would turn round, then they would proceed to jump the gate into GA, this continued for so long that the steward left and it got out of control. After lots of people got over the gate...my bro saw the supervisor sack him. LOL.
So if it was patchy at the seating on Adam's side at all....that's why.

Depending where your seat was you easily could have got onto the floor as noone bothered checking tickets.

nickypiemcg said:

I think there is some rule at Murrayfield that everyone who is standing has to have a seat available(my mate's dad works there). At popmart you could freely move between teh lower tier and the GA area. This was also the same of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers (I was working there though not watching because I think they are a bunch of cocks!) So Murrayfield can look like it is not sold out which kind of ruins the atmosphere.

I was at this gig (BTW the sound was absolutely abysmal) and had a seat in the lower tier but we were NOT allowed access to the pitch. All lower tier seats were allocated (specific seats not unreserved seating), so no seats are retained for GA'ers.

It must be much better with sideways... Especially for people in seats... They get a lot closer to the stage...

Chizip said:
if you compare how many seats would needed to be blocked off

stadium1.gif

stadium2.gif

it just looks like there would be a lot less tickets available with the second set up

did they do this so it would be easier to sell out?

It is looking bad on that pictures, but because of the stadium's shape...

Here's a plan for Polish (Katowice) show:
wejscia.gif

Some stadiums are just build that way and it's better to put the stage sideways...
I understand also in Vienna it's going to be the same?

Last edited:
there were big screens at the side although I was right in the middle of the seating area and had a great time as did my kids, no problem with seeing the band and the sound was great (I thought). I thought it was strange but it seemed to work ok for me anyway!

i think bathiu's post explains it. look at his photo of the stadium set up, most of the seats are on that one side facing the stage

Chizip said:
i think bathiu's post explains it. look at his photo of the stadium set up, most of the seats are on that one side facing the stage

:up:

If you look at the photo (which was taken by me on the way out!), the stage faces the recently built main stand which has two tiers and coroprate hospitality boxes.......the rest of the stadium has only one tier and no CH facilities.

I think it's this simple and was certainly nothing to do with slow tickets sales. Tickets went like shit off a shovel!!!

Back
Top Bottom