"booooo!!"x50.000 for Bush&Blair. Was it the same in US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't remember that video in Denver. I would have booed my ass off if they had shown it. that Zoo Station intro IS cool!

I dunno...apart from what side of the fence you're on, Bush just pledged a whole bunch of $$$--just two days ago in fact--to Africa famine relief. I think Blair was as well. So if U2 is showing their pictures in a 'LOOK-AT-THESE-MEAN-MEN!' sort of way, then I am very angry. Even though the crowed booed to see Bush and Blair, we don't know in what context their faces were shown. I do hope U2 gives Bush some props next time the band hits these shores.

At the Boston II show, they had Gore and Bush on the screens. It probably changes depending on where the show is.

Bush & co now claim to cancel the debts, but imho that's just a manoeuver to ridiculize the whole Live 8 thing. I don't trust that decision.

But anyway, I was one of the boo-ers last night... :wink:

so let me guess...

u2's promoting bush and blair as the great liberators of the world? is that what this video's about?

please, please tell me this isn't the case...there's only so much shit i can from these guys.

NHChris said:
I dunno...apart from what side of the fence you're on, Bush just pledged a whole bunch of $$$--just two days ago in fact--to Africa famine relief.

No he freakin didn't. He "pledged" an amount that was already agreed long ago and then made a big deal of it. And the media lapped it up and people like you went "wahey!!"

NHChris said:
I do hope U2 gives Bush some props next time the band hits these shores.

And I hope they hand out free pics of Bush on the way in to Croker so we can ceremonially burn them. That'd be fun. Immature, but fun.

Zoomerang96 said:
so let me guess...

u2's promoting bush and blair as the great liberators of the world? is that what this video's about?

please, please tell me this isn't the case...there's only so much shit i can from these guys.

Well if that's the case then u2 appartly considers Michael Jackson Saddam Hussein and uncle sam as great liberators as well..don't count on it:wink:

NHChris said:
I dunno...apart from what side of the fence you're on, Bush just pledged a whole bunch of $$$--just two days ago in fact--to Africa famine relief. I think Blair was as well. So if U2 is showing their pictures in a 'LOOK-AT-THESE-MEAN-MEN!' sort of way, then I am very angry. Even though the crowed booed to see Bush and Blair, we don't know in what context their faces were shown. I do hope U2 gives Bush some props next time the band hits these shores.

:up: :up: :applaud: :applaud:

I totally agree with you. I thought the whole booing thing was way out of line- no matter the context. I understand U2 is political and all that, but I didn't agree with the situation at the show.

I saw this at MSG when they had Clinton/Bush (I don't know if there was that much booing because chances are, if you are booing one of them, you end up booing the other, whom you probably like :wink: ) It actually didn't strike me as the band making any kind of pro/con political statement, I saw it more in line with the Zoo Tv esque theme of the encore--that is, showing the intertwining of media and politics and entertainment in the 24 hour news cycle, etc. But then maybe I am reading too much into it.

Also, if both Bush and Blair were being used every show that would make more sense in terms of political grandstanding, but Bush/Clinton? Bush/Gore? I don't any common thread in these duos. In the past Bono has made his admiration for both Clinton and Blair clear (though this was before the war). I wouldn't be surprised if these images were used to get some emotion out of the crowd--using politicians that the individual audiences would be the most familiar with.

NHChris said:

Yeah, this is why I doubt it was that politically motivated. Even if U2 absolutely hated Bush and Blair, I doubt that they would attack them at a concert while at the same time trying to get them to support African relief. I would hope Bono is a smarter politician than that.

That whole scenario of 50,000 Euros uniformly booing giant photographs of Bush and Blair at the behest of a rock band reminds me of Orwell's "Two Minutes Hate" scene in "1984"... anyone else remember that passage?

"As usual, the face of Emmanuel Goldstein (Bush/Blair), the Enemy of the People, had flashed on to the screen. There were hisses here and there among the audience...

Before the Hate had proceeded for thirty seconds, uncontrollable exclamations of rage were breaking out from half the people in the room...

But what was strange was that although Goldstein was hated and despised by everybody, although every day and a thousand times a day, on platforms, on the telescreen, in newspapers, in books, his theories were refuted, smashed, ridiculed, held up to the general gaze for the pitiful rubbish that they were in spite of all this, his influence never seemed to grow less. Always there were fresh dupes waiting to be seduced by him...

The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but, on the contrary, that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary..."

I always find it interesting how people act in large, anonymous crowds.

Last edited:
sad to see so many u2 fans are douchebag liberals. u2 should stay out of political issues and backstabing people like Bush after Bono sucking his balls for money, then putting his picture on screens to be booed at. cheap shot bono, not cool. and if i was Bush i wouldn't say another kind word about Bono and wouldn't deal with any more of his shit. time to shut up and sing, you're supposed to be a rock singer, act like it.

nuke126 said:
sad to see so many u2 fans are douchebag liberals. u2 should stay out of political issues and backstabing people like Bush after Bono sucking his balls for money, then putting his picture on screens to be booed at. cheap shot bono, not cool. and if i was Bush i wouldn't say another kind word about Bono and wouldn't deal with any more of his shit. time to shut up and sing, you're supposed to be a rock singer, act like it.

:rolleyes:

since you have nothing intellegent to say...

its a fucking rock n' roll concert, Bono and U2 can do whatever they want. it's much different than Bono making a speech and official saying that he hates Bush or Blair. And it was the crowd who boo-ed, not Bono.

Hey financeguy - where did you get the pic for that cool avatar?

Could you share a full size or post a link?

I know that is Achtung Baby era... but where is it from?

Thanks

redhill said:
Hey financeguy - where did you get the pic for that cool avatar?

Could you share a full size or post a link?

I know that is Achtung Baby era... but where is it from?

Thanks

hmm, You must be new to U2... that's one of the pictures from Achtung Baby cover.

---------------

BTW, great posts everyone, especialy those from american republicans (that have no idea why they're listening to U2 because it's everything they are against for) gave me some laugh... :)

:| I hope Bono is cleaning his mouth after sucking Bush's balls... think about those people in front of the stage:yikes:

nuke126 said:

Could we please keep the debate a tad bit more intellectual than this?

Please read the FAQ/Rules about personal attacks and name calling...

nuke126 said:

liberals get way better women than you conservatives.

plus we're rich.

Last edited:
bathiu said:

BTW, great posts everyone, especialy those from american republicans (that have no idea why they're listening to U2 because it's everything they are against for) gave me some laugh... :)

Love that tolerance. You gave ME the laugh.

Isn't tolerance one of the big themes of U2's music AND the shows this year? Coexist: Jews, Christians, Muslims, but kill the Republicans, right? They're the evil ones.

Maybe some European left wingers "have no idea why they're listening to U2 because it's everything they are against for." If those words of yours make sense, that is.

Because of Bono's tolerance, the US pledged more money for Africa than anyone at anytime. I'll take the builders over the bridge burners any day. You get a hell of a lot more done.

lancerla said:

Love that tolerance. You gave ME the laugh.

Really? Thanks... to bad I'm in a shadow of this champion...

nuke126 said:

Tolerance - a social, cultural and religious term applied to the collective and individual practice of not persecuting those who may believe, behave or act in ways of which one may not approve. Authoritarian systems practice the opposite of tolerance, intolerance. Tolerance is seen as a more widely acceptable term than "acceptance" and particularly "respect," where the application to controversial parties is concerned. Tolerance implies both the ability to punish and the conscious decision not to. It is usually applied to non-violent, consensual behavior, often involving religion, sex, or politics. It rarely permits violent behavior.

In the wider sociological sense, "tolerance" carries with it the understanding that "intolerance" and conformity breeds violence and social instability. "Tolerance" has thus become the social term of choice to define the practical rationale of permitting uncommon social practice and diversity. One only tolerates people who are disliked for their differences. While people deemed undesirable may be disapproved of, "tolerance" would require that the party or group in question be left undisturbed, physically or otherwise, and that criticism directed toward them be free of inflammatory or inciteful efforts.

Come on republicans (and by that I mean only them, not other right-wing parties) give me some more lessons of tolerance "free of inflammatory or inciteful efforts"....:rolleyes:

nuke126 said:

BRAVO! There's someone that 'GETS IT!' I don't mind if people boo the President. Geez, I'd be right there too if Clintoon was up there on screen. Or the clown Kofi Annan that runs the UN. Or half a dozen other 'Leaders.' But 'sincerity' goes right out the window when you come with hat-in-hand, imploring the U.S. to give tons of money WHILE MOST EUROPEAN COUNTRIES SIT ON THE SIDELINES LOOKING AT THEIR TOES. And then use a portion of your show to SPIT at the President while inciting the people of SAID EUROPEAN COUNTRIES TO DO LIKEWISE!

U2 has to put together this whole expensive outdoor gig that won't break even until SEPTEMBER, if at all. U2 could play on a PLAIN, INEXPENSIVE stage and STILL sell out those football stadiums. And THEN THEY'D HAVE A BIG PROFIT, AND OF COURSE A PORTION OF IT WOULD GO TO FAMINE RELIEF. But NO! Where's the grand gesture from U2 to send a portion of their concert ticket sales to famine relief? HUH? Much easier to say 'we aren't going to break even' and throw a picture of Bush on the screen for people to boo and hiss at.

And then U2 will come to the MCI Center in D.C. this fall and be all lovey-dovey again with Bush. Photo ops, no doubt, will be the order of the day. Bono shaking Bush's hand, thanking him for contributing to famine relief. What a hypocrite.

Speaking of pictures that we can pile up and burn: Any high-ranking official from the U.N., starting with Kofi Annan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom