A question of value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arnolds

The Fly
My wife and I saw U2 perform at the Anaheim Pond last week, first show.

I have been going to U2 concerts since the 80's and all thru the 90's.

The show was fantastic albeit a little short for my tastes. I really love the new songs being performed. I love Elevation in its new iteration. However:

All throughout the show, I was questioning whether I was getting real value for my money. I guess it shouldn't matter because U2 has been the soundtrack of my adult life.

But sitting in the nosebleed section of the pond and paying 110 bucks for each seat, 10 dollars for a beer, 7 bucks for a burrito (times 2) and listening to a opening act that was lackluster made me think about how I spend my entertainment dollars.

Then I sauntered over to the souvenir stands and saw the $35 dollar official concert shirts. :ohmy: Needless to say, for the first time in my life, I didn't buy a t-shirt to commemorate the day I was at a U2 concert. It wasn't a question of having the money, it was more a question of whether the shirt was worth 35 bucks.

I guess my point is, right now, U2, the corporate entity, is really pushing the limits of what I perceived to be a great entertainment value.

Maybe I'm just getting too old. :drool:

It all depends on how much you have to spend and how much U2 is worth to you. Of course for a fraction of the price of a concert, you could always buy the Slane or Boston DVD, or you could have used the money to eat at a fancy restaurant or buy a computer game or go to an amusement park.

Personally, as far as U2 goes, if your just walking around looking for something to do for a night, it probably isn't worth it. If you are a fan, and plan the experience and such, then yeah it's worth it.

I commiserate with arnolds. U2 is the only band that I'll shell out that kind of money to see. It is no value at all, it is a pure luxury anymore. It is almost to where the cost is prohibitive of fully enjoying the night. Were beers really $10? That's criminal.

I understand how you feel! The only thing I would add Arnolds (since I am around the same age as you are) is that all of the major acts are charging these prices. It seems exorbitant to us, but my understanding is touring costs a lot of money (and sometimes makes no money for the artist).

Prices are almost comparable to a Vegas show (Blue Man, etc.), or a West End play or a Broadway play. And those shows dont have the touring overhead.

The ticket prices you can debate and make an arguement for and against. I'm going to 5 shows, so I guess the price isn't too high for me. However, $35 for a cotton T-shirt is theft.

:cool:

Value is a matter of perception.

Sunday morning I have a $400 6 hour flight to San Jose. I will leave my house at 4:00 am central (2:00 am Pacific) to catch the flght. I'll arrive in San Jose at 11:30 and be greeted by a fellow U2 fan and friend from Boise. We'll spend the afternoon getting ready for the show (Guiness, food, music, etc.) We'll go to the show with our $200 each GA tickets that we had to buy on Ebay. At the time U2 hits the stage I will have been up for 21 hours! After the show we'll continue the celebration wherever the night leads us. I'll spend what's left of the night/morning in my $189 hotel room and then fly out a 11:30 am Monday on a 6 hour flight home.

I will have been in San Jose for 24 hours and have spent approximately $1,000.

Good Value?

Like every U2 show I have been to, I'll remember the TOTAL experience for the rest of my life! What is that worth?

And then in October we'll meet in New York for shows on the 7th and 8th, and in Dallas the 29th. More than likely we'll also end up in Las Vegas.

By the way, it has been three and a half years since I've seen my great friend. The last time we saw each other we were relaxing at a Black Jack Table at the Monte Carlo a few hours after U2 walked off the stage at the Thomas and Mack Center.

Every minute was worth every penny and it always will be.

Worth every penny. And all the huge bands are charging these fees. Madonna's tickets started at $80 and went up from there. U2 charged 55 for Floor and behind the stage, which from what I have heard is a bargain. As for the drinks, that is all the venue. And 10 for a crappy american beer is criminal.

Shirts, yeah a bit much, but I love the one I got, it looks spiffy enough to wear to work.

$110 for nosebleeds? Most true nosebleeds were $49.50...

Country acts are charging the same exact prices without the 49.50 option. Sports tickets can go up to $500+

I think some are losing perspective here, you're seeing one of the biggest acts(food and beer cost the same no matter so that really is a moot point) compare it to other such acts.

I know people that will $400+ to sit in the Landmark Forum for 14 hours a day, 3 days straight to find inspiration in life. I can find it at a U2 show for much, much less

I agree with BVS. In my mind, I'm paying for the EXPERIENCE, not just the concert. To meet people in line, hang out, get good leads on cool U2 stuff, see the band arrive... all of that makes worth it to me. I'm going to Dublin this summer with my wife and little girl. I almost faint when I think about what I'm shelling out, but you need some context for it all -- if all you're doing is going to a show, then it's probably not worth it. I look at it as an EXPERIENCE (and one that doesn't come 'round very often), and it is.

On average, I see U2 maybe once every five years. Even at $200 a ticket, spreading out the cost over five years, that's averaging spending $40 a year...or a bit over $3 a month or 10 cents a day. I can live with that.

I agree with nathan1977.

For example, every time i've seen Radiohead (usually at $50 a pop GA tickets), i feel like i should be giving them MORE money for the amazing experience they've given me. Much the same for U2 (at least for GA ticket money!)

nathan1977 said:
I agree with BVS. In my mind, I'm paying for the EXPERIENCE, not just the concert. To meet people in line, hang out, get good leads on cool U2 stuff, see the band arrive... all of that makes worth it to me. I'm going to Dublin this summer with my wife and little girl. I almost faint when I think about what I'm shelling out, but you need some context for it all -- if all you're doing is going to a show, then it's probably not worth it. I look at it as an EXPERIENCE (and one that doesn't come 'round very often), and it is.

Yes, its still the experience I'm after. But after 20 years of the same experiences, I guess the novelty is starting to wear off.

Like I said, I'm getting old. :sad:

My t-shirt doesn't have an Edun label, but it's sweatshop-free and made in the USA. Separately, those factors make t-shirts pretty pricey, so together it's worth the extra money. :up:

The experience is worth every penny, from traveling to shows to the power an emotion of the songs to the amazing friendships I've made because of U2. You don't have to buy the burritos and the t-shirts at the venue, so that shouldn't even be part of the equation.

And to whoever mentioned behind the stage as value: I definitely agree; I was behind the stage at San Diego 2 and I saw more of Bono's face than I had next to Adam's side of the stage two night's before. Well worth the $50.

There was a story a year or so back where Incubus (a moderately successful band) decided to let Honda Civic sponsor their tour because it enabled them to keep ticket prices down. (around $30 each for their arena tour)

It's hard to compare this band and U2 of course, but in 2005 the sad reality is that the record industry is scrambling to solve their problems and alot of things have merged. Independent labels and promotors are a dying breed and large corporations hold alot of control. Granted a band like U2 can use their weight alot, but sometimes the industry shapes what happens.

The record industry really needs to shape up and realize that most music these days isn't selling because it's not good. Even Bono himself said at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction that there would be "no U2 the way the music business works now" meaning it's currently all about quick hits and cash and not about long term growth from a band with a loyal fan base.

Back
Top Bottom