I was the guy with the phone @ MSG #2 10/8/05 - FACTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*Ally* said:

here's what i think happened: the ellipse SUCKED that night. apart from the first couple of rows, which were really into the show, the rest of the ellipse crowd was dead. there were SO many people just STANDING there, with their arms folded... it was really bad. and i think bono saw that the crowd was not enthusiastic, and that he took out his frustration on the guy with the cell phone. i'm not trying to justify his actions, but i do think that he was upset about more than just the one person using his phone. really, it was the worst ellipse crowd i've ever seen.

well thats his own damn fault for coming up with the lottery policy. maybe he should yell at the tour managers rather than the fans.

Sorry to hear about your experience ..I've seen Bono get pissed off at his roadie for not having his lyrics in front of him and AJ is family.
In April my brother got chewed out by Bono's bodyguard for just walking around the hotel lobby with a rolled up poster. That put a damper on our evening - I cant imagine what it would be like to have Bono yell at you. ugh!

hope everyone is in a good mood at Portland:huh:

Last edited:
Mm. I see. So Bono is not allowed to be a jerk because you 'gave him this life he has'? Um..huh? Seriously, guy, slow down a bit. You're getting offended when he wasn't talking to you.
He doesn't owe you worship because you buy stuff he's done.
Besides, he realized that was a jerky move and apologized to the person he misbehaved with and was obviously forgiven.
Get off the high horse and let it go.

this was posted over at U2.com.

seems perhaps the guy who got yelled at was indeed using the phone to talk and other things?

deadegad
addict

Re: I was the guy with the phone@ MSG#2 10/8 The FACTS [Re: blueyedboy]
#1626745 - 10/12/05 08:47 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I disagree, I think that it is extremely hypocritical for Bono to bollock someone for having a phone out when it plays such a huge part of not just the Vertigo shows but the whole MPH campaign.
I could also say that you should be paying attention to the guys on stage rather than watching phone users palm pioleting, blackberying, talking , texting and talking with one finger in their ear but that would be too easy (j/k). Whilst U2 go on about the miracle of modern gadgets reaching third world places and making a load of cash for these worthwile causes then I don't think Bono has the right to critisise."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

blueyedboy You wrote:
"I could also say that you should be paying attention to the guys on stage rather than watching phone users palm pioleting, blackberying, talking , texting and talking with one finger in their ear but that would be too easy (j/k)."

reply:

(j/k) < that means? Just kidding, I think?

There is no comparison between my - glancing - around and peolple CONSTANTLY tossing around on their gadgets. No comparison.
On the floor Monday night teir were people who had their gadgets up constantly. One picture is one thing, but there were people who were not really watching the band, but were watching the band through their cells. Truly ridiculous. As I said you had numerous cases of people constantly talking on their cells. and texting.
Hell maybe they had to pay the phone bill!

Just because Bono does an ipod ad and asks people to take out their cells during One does not mean he has the right to critisize.
He does.
Good for Bono!
there is no relationship between Bono the MPH and the role these gadgets play in the MPH and U2 coming out to play RocknRoll and seeing so many people not engaging and participating by singing, dancing, clapping, jumping but being disengaged and detached by tossing about with their gadgets.
Someone needed to be spanked.
Good for Bono!
Just one more thing, which most of you may not know.
I hear from eyewitnesses inside the ellipse that this account of inoccently taking pictures is Spin Control B.S. on the part of the spankee. That this guy was a pain in the ass to those around him, a warning shot was fried accross his bow -- and then, he got spanked!
Who is right? Where is the truth? I do not know.
I think the gadgets have got to stay in your pockets untill One, light up the night, etc.

http://www.u2.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=u2&Number=1617549&page=0&fpart=2

MattFromNYC said:

I think the gadgets have got to stay in your pockets untill One, light up the night, etc.

I think people need to not scream at the top of their lungs all through the show and sing off key until Bono tells them they can :madspit:

ramblin rose said:

There's a difference between being called on it and starting to talk about taking signs to the shows or having other fans saying things to him about it. If the fan who this happened to wanted to say something then fine, but this didn't happen to any of us.

for the record, my post about the sign was meant to be sarcastic in nature...

Things could have been worse... you could have been in the front row of a Motley Crue show and had Nikki Sixx hawk a loogy on your forehead... (ps... i've never had to spell 'hawk a loogy' so forgive me if I've misspelled it!) Nikki's trademark is spitting on the crowd...

You all have to remember what he said after he scolded the phone guy... he said something to the effect of "Get in the moment... I'M in the moment... (said emphatically)' I was actually impressed that Bono was that into SBS after playing it so many times.

And I think Karma caught up to him when he did the blindfold walk to the mic during Bullet and walked right by it and the stage guy had to walk him over to it. HILARIOUS! I think I saw Bono smile too.

And the ellipse did look a little lame that night. I remember in Toronto the entire ellipse getting into the chants in Wake Up with their arms in the air but I saw almost no one doing that last weekend.

Last edited:
u2wedge said:
You all have to remember what he said after he scolded the phone guy... he said something to the effect of "Get in the moment... I'M in the moment... (said emphatically)'

what do you mean by this? and empathetically? explain. just curious.

as i said before.. it appears that theres a lot of SPIN CONTROL bullshit going around and that this guy was really talking on the phone and annoying people. and that in fact.. he started yelling something at the back of ellipse earlier before the comment... and he wasnt very happy.. and that the majority of the ellipse was very fucked up. either:

standing still with arms crossed, seeming totally disinterested.
talking away on cellphones or typing away on blackberries.
people pushing eachother.
people pacing around deep in a phone convo.

others not being able to see because of all of the cellphones remaining up the whole time.

<< I agree it was a harsh reaction and Bono misunderstood his actions (and apologized), but if I played a song in front of an audience I would mind if someone telephoned. >>

You know what? "Vertigo" is my mom's favorite song. I call her from EVERY SHOW when U2 plays "Vertigo" so she can hear it. She loves to hear the crowd shout "Uno, Dos, Tres . . . " and "Hola!"

If Bono ever yelled at me to put my phone away, I don't know what I'd do, but I'd be PI$$ED, and I think Christopher handled this well. I would have CRIED. And maybe left, I don't know. But it would have hurt my feelings BIG TIME.

And then my mom would beat him up, ha ha ha!!! ;-)

But seriously, think about this: I was at the 10/8 show when this happened, and it was during SBS and there were current terror threats against NYC (only LATER realized to be a hoax, but it sure feels real until then, eh?) and aside from the May show in 2005, when was the last time U2 was at MSG? Just weeks after 9/11 . . .

The night before, on 10/7, Bono had declared SBS "our song, now," meaning America, and he called for the Stars and Stripes to be passed up to him on stage.

This next night, 10/8, when he yelled about the phone, I think he SOMEHOW thought that Christopher was ON the phone. After saying to get off the f'ing phone, Bono mimcked him talking into the phone, saying something like, "Yeah, hi, mom, I'm at a rock concert. They're playing 'Sunday Bloody Sunday,' " and then he said "Live in the moment!!"

I guess the terror cloud over the city reminded him of WHY SBS was written, and of being at MSG in 2001?? Who knows.

BUT, having said that, I do agree that the reaction was harsh and it would have hurt my feelings if it were directed at me.

Good on you, Christopher - - rock on! ;-)

<< Here's a clip from Toronto where you can here him say 'Put your f'ing cameras down!' >>

Hey u2wedge, that clip sounds like it's great quality!!

Do you have the boot from that show????

STOP USING PHONE CAMERAS!!

It's cheapskate! It's not showing u2 any respect at all! The only use it befits is oh-i-just-got-a-new-camera-phone-and-i-wanted-to-test-it-out-by-taking-a-few-pics-of-my-friends-having-coffee, not to take pictures of the greatest band in the world!!

i was there that night as well. I have also read many of the posts here and frankly am rather amazed that you all have dedicated so much time and energy to this.

I thought the show was good, not great. I did thing he was off, and he had an anger slip for which he apologized for later, period end of story.

How would I have felt, probably pretty dam bad, but I wouldnt be someone who would be down there sticking a cell phone in someones face while they were trying to perform either so I dont think it would have happend if I was lucky enough to get that close.

I was at 3 of the 5 shows at msg and every single night there were people down there taking pictures with their stupid assed cell phones. I think its distracting, your not paying atention to the show, enjoying being that close to the scene how could you possibly be in the moment? You cant, so I think with all those arms stretched out snapping photos that suck anyway probably pissed him off and he said so, albeit in not the kindest of ways but he made that decision for which he was sorry for later. The only reason people take those stupid pictures is to show their friends just how close they were to the stage or to do a text message to someone to show off where they are. Your not goingto tell me that they go home, print out the photo and place it in the family album are you?

and did he think he was on the phone probably not but what does it matter, he's not an idiot and knows very well what all those people are doing with their cell phones, geez i would bet a dime to a dollar that his cell phone has a camera.

I also wondered if he yells at his kids like that? He does have a temper on him that's for sure, he's not some angelic fiqure that most would like to think of him as. He is after all a human being with real feelings and emotions, real problems and sometimes that carries over to situations like this, it leaks out, just like it does for any one of us.

OK i'm done and added my 2 cents!

Last edited:
MattFromNYC,

I swear on my daughters life I was not talking on the phone during the entire U2 show, from COBL to 40. If people need further proof, I would be willing to send my cingular phone bill to the message board admin for verification.

Take Care,
-Chris

damn it took a long time to go through this whole thread.

thanks for posting the story, astralzzzz.

to be honest, with all the charity work and great things Bono does and how everyone talks about him being a saint, it's good to see him act like a rock star and a prick every once in awhile.

astralzzzz said:
MattFromNYC,

I swear on my daughters life I was not talking on the phone during the entire U2 show, from COBL to 40. If people need further proof, I would be willing to send my cingular phone bill to the message board admin for verification.

Take Care,
-Chris

So what if you would've been talking on the phone??? I mean, it's YOUR phone! I admit, it might've been pretty annoying for the people around you if you wou;dve been talking on the phone, but for Bono??? :eyebrow:

[i would feel horrible if Bono did that to me... probably would be traumatized, cuz he's my role model:sad: ]

astralzzzz said:
MattFromNYC,

Take Care,
-Chris

That would actually be cool, if you did that. :wink:

Well, everyone has their bad days. At least he apologized. Although Ill admit I probably would have burst into tears lol. It was probably just a misunderstanding.

I still maintain, being both there that night and in Toronto when he said something similar, that he simply used you as part of the show, as part of his 'wake up and listen' to the audience.

It's show biz yo, similar to when he pulls up a girl to dance...like is he *really* in love with the girl he pulls up..??

Its show biz, and Bono does it best, look at us all talking about it!! :wink:

:lol: So next time i will bring two phones,...me new one to call and make pics and my old one to throw to his head when he starts to yell at me.

Rono said:
haha, this is an old topic i see :reject:

Sorry,....

But honestly, since you brought it up again . . . think about this . . . IT'S NOT EVEN *POSSIBLE* to talk on a cell phone during the show. Particularly front row!!!

Who could hear you and whom could you hear?

It's like the deaf leading the deaf to even attempt that. At best, someone could hold a phone up for whoever's on it to hear the song . . .

But furthermore, Chris does not owe ANYONE on here a look at his cell phone bill. He offered, but that's probably due to all the unnecessary slack he's gotten from people who don't want to see Bono in a bad light.

I was at the show. I heard Bono say what he did. If someone pays to be at the show and wants to talk on his phone, hold up his phone, take pictures with his phone, whatever - - SO WHAT?! He paid for the ticket. He's not breaking policy of any kind. He doesn't deserve to be yelled at from the stage. He's not a PROP, for crying out loud.

<sigh> I say this putting myself in his place. If it was me, I'd have been hurt and mad (the extension of being hurt, by the way) . . .

Chris, keep your cell phone bill at home. You don't owe that to anyone on this board.

The other day as I was walking to school I got to thinking.....wouldn't it be cool if we could hack into the video feed to the four front monitors above the stage using a cell phone? Then we could start texting messages for the entire arena to see, beginning with "MSG Cell Phone Man, I avenge you, bwahahaha!"

ROFLOL LivLuv!!!

Let's do it!!

Now, this thread can become a list of "things you'd want to text so the whole arena can see . . ."

I would submit, "Make Yelling At Fans History"

hee hee . . .

i do believe this is the phone yelling incident... never posted it because it came out blurry... but yea... i think this is it.

phoneyell.JPG

It's show biz yo, similar to when he pulls up a girl to dance...like is he *really* in love with the girl he pulls up..??

Its show biz, and Bono does it best, look at us all talking about it!! :wink: [/B][/QUOTE]

I read this just now. I was also there when B was yelling about the phone thing, like gabrielvox said it's show biz...but I have to say being inside the ellipse that night, those girls will "bring you down and run you over, and leave u for dead just to get B's attention. A little scary :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom