Why did U2 place it 'safe' for 5 nights???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueeyedgirl said:

It's getting possibly more "nausea-inducing" in that the girls are getting younger and Bono's getting older. If it wasn't "Bono the rock star" but "Paul the married 45 year old father of 4" it would be perceived much differently.

Just my 20 cents. :wink:

hopefully by cleveland he'll be pulling up 17 year olds :drool:

i am not being sarcastic at all. I'm 17 and Bono is a sexy motherfucker.

old guys are hot, what can I say

I wonder if there is one setlist in the world (besides playing every song they have ever made) that would make everyone happy? Probably not. I'm wondering if I should watch the setlist parties anymore. They're making me feel bad for liking the songs being played. :( lol. Oh well, I'm still excited about Vegas, as I'm positive everyone in attendance was excited about all 5 MSG shows. Be happy everyone! We get to be in the era of the best band in the world :wink: and what's even better, we get to see them live :drool: I know I may sound like a casual listener, but I've adored the "hits" being played and I hope they continue to play them because they are what made U2 popular and relevant and great. Maybe that's not a "true fan" perspective, but I think if you only catered to the "true" U2 fan, you would only get so far.

Most people I know who like U2 don't even know any songs off Pop or October. And I think U2 sees that for mass appeal (as well as mass ticket sales) they can't go out there, start with I Threw a Brick, end with If You Wear That Velvet Dress, and have the same effect as if they started with say Vertigo and end with Bad/40. Hell I even watched a little clip put together of their Discotheque performance (great song :drool: ) and barely anyone in the stands/ellipse were jumping. But everyone goes crazy for Streets. Yes U2 plays it safe, because it works. I really don't want U2 to expiriment to the point that the diehards are happy, and the casuals turn their back. I agree that setlists can be boring, but you know why? BECAUSE WE WATCH THEM EVERY CONCERT! If I saw the same thing on paper every day, it would get on my nerves too. But if I came once in a while, for one setlist party a leg, I would be amazed at the songs being played. I think too much of a good thing has gotten to some people and it's almost like they're thinking too hard about it, rather than just sitting back and waiting for your turn to go see them live and being honestly excited about them. Have we really been reduced to counting the seconds til Pride and One are over to see what suprises we get? :eyebrow: Sorry if I come off annoyed. I guess I just adore this band and want them to know that they could play the same set every night, and at least this one fan would not give a damn. :reject:

catlhere said:
I wonder if there is one setlist in the world (besides playing every song they have ever made) that would make everyone happy? Probably not. I'm wondering if I should watch the setlist parties anymore. They're making me feel bad for liking the songs being played. :( lol. Oh well, I'm still excited about Vegas, as I'm positive everyone in attendance was excited about all 5 MSG shows. Be happy everyone! We get to be in the era of the best band in the world :wink: and what's even better, we get to see them live :drool: I know I may sound like a casual listener, but I've adored the "hits" being played and I hope they continue to play them because they are what made U2 popular and relevant and great. Maybe that's not a "true fan" perspective, but I think if you only catered to the "true" U2 fan, you would only get so far.

Most people I know who like U2 don't even know any songs off Pop or October. And I think U2 sees that for mass appeal (as well as mass ticket sales) they can't go out there, start with I Threw a Brick, end with If You Wear That Velvet Dress, and have the same effect as if they started with say Vertigo and end with Bad/40. Hell I even watched a little clip put together of their Discotheque performance (great song :drool: ) and barely anyone in the stands/ellipse were jumping. But everyone goes crazy for Streets. Yes U2 plays it safe, because it works. I really don't want U2 to expiriment to the point that the diehards are happy, and the casuals turn their back. I agree that setlists can be boring, but you know why? BECAUSE WE WATCH THEM EVERY CONCERT! If I saw the same thing on paper every day, it would get on my nerves too. But if I came once in a while, for one setlist party a leg, I would be amazed at the songs being played. I think too much of a good thing has gotten to some people and it's almost like they're thinking too hard about it, rather than just sitting back and waiting for your turn to go see them live and being honestly excited about them. Have we really been reduced to counting the seconds til Pride and One are over to see what suprises we get? :eyebrow: Sorry if I come off annoyed. I guess I just adore this band and want them to know that they could play the same set every night, and at least this one fan would not give a damn. :reject:

good post, I totally agree :up: just because some people are tired of reading the words "Pride" and "One" on a screen doesn't mean you should feel bad for liking what's played :huh: I'm excited as all hell for Cleveland, I'll love it even if they don't play Discotheque, it's U2! Whatever they play will be great!

...that said U2, PLEASE, play Discotheque :wink:

I don't think anyone here is really asking for U2 to play Zooropa and Pop back to back and declare it a setlist (well actually I'd kill for that, but that's...beside the point :wink: ), most people just wish they'd have a little more variation, throw in a couple more songs for a 5th night show, switch up the order of things a bit...but really we've gotten the most variation this tour since before ZooTV.

If U2 played the same set for the rest of the tour and it included Mofo and Discotheque, I would not complain. At all. Hell, Discotheque alone would be enough...

I would like to say that everyone for the most part did a spectacular job keeping this thread calm & civilized. You all should give yourselves a little pat on the shoulder.

kellyahern said:

I still don't think it's a nice thing to say, especially given that some of the women on stage are members here who've been nice enough to post about their experiences and share them with us. You make it sound like something unseemly also, and it's not.
I suppose if we were to consider that if Mick Jagger had made a practice of choosing girls to dance with on stage, that would be considered unseemly. U2 fans consider Mick not to be in the same class as Bono.

However not everyone perceives what Bono does in the same way as do all U2 fans.

What is Mick (and by extension Bono) supposed to do? Pull up a 70 year old woman? There aren't likely to be many of those right by the stage.

Well it's not like Bono has been doing much with the girls this tour...what I mean by that is we've seen nothing like melpop's experience during Elevation, everything has been pretty tame. In fact one girl was too grabby during Yahweh so she got sent back early! "YAHWE...no, no." it amused me anyway :wink: but really I can see how if Bono was like making out with girls half his age on stage how people might take that the wrong way (though I sure as hell wouldn't mind :drool: ), but I think pulling girls up to dance is pretty harmless, and it's not like any of them are like EWWW I HAVE TO DANCE WITH SOME OLD DUDE. obviously the girls that are pulled up are really really happy to be up on stage with Bono and I reckon most of them wouldn't mind having an experience like melpop's, either :wink: really I think pulling up a girl is a big part of the fan connection and a lot of the people pulled up are literally having their dreams come true...is that such a bad thing?

JOFO said:
and what's worse is that when they first started playing vertigo twice, I was like "that's lame".

but there are people on this board who screamed at me saying I was a jerk and that I wasn't even there and how dare I talk about something I hadn't seen and it was AMAZING if you were THERE.......

well, you can all continue to kiss u2's ass and I'm happy that you are so easily pleased. vertigo x2 sucks.

Well what's funny we've seen plenty of posts who went to the shows and enjoyed the second Vertigo.

But I guess they're all idiots.

U2girl said:

Well what's funny we've seen plenty of posts who went to the shows and enjoyed the second Vertigo.

But I guess they're all idiots.

Well, what's funny is that Jofo was there and made a point of observing the behaviour of all the people in his section, and the response to Vertigo x2 was generally negative.

But I guess they all weren't there.

I think (scratches nuts) its proberbly been said here before but they can play whatever they feel like playing without having to worry about a thing. changing the songs around just messes things up and means more work for everyone involved and the only reason the do actualy change it around a bit is to relieve the boredom they are having. Dont get me wrong here, they are awesome performers but they will not change a thing for fans (why should they?) They change it around a little FOR THEMSELVES Every show is sold out and all the shows to come will be sold out, and every fan that has seen them would go to every single show if they could afford it, even if they know the setlist in advance..... and U2 know this.

Axver said:

Well, what's funny is that Jofo was there and made a point of observing the behaviour of all the people in his section, and the response to Vertigo x2 was generally negative.

I've seen the "Vertigo" x2 on several shows and I'm torn on it.

I have to admit, the song is SO kick-ass ;) that the second performance truly is a great way to end the show. The song is powerful, rocking and full of energy - far better way to end a concert than with "40". "40" may seem like the classic closer, but it ends the concert on a rather down note, IMO. Best to leave the crowd rocking and energized and wanting more.

That said, this is U2 after 25 years! If this were 1983, I wouldn't think twice about U2 playing a big hit song twice. But in 2005, U2 have such a vast catalog of songs that it seems downright unbelievable that they'd play a song twice instead of showcasing something new or a prior hit.

This past Saturday's NYC show gave a fantastic setlist. It included "Fast Cars" (which I still haven't seen live as U2 were too conservative in Boston), but also "Gloria", "Stuck" and "Walk On". This is a near perfect setlist. If U2 included something from R&H, like "Desire", "All I Want Is You" or "Angel of Harlem" and at least one more AB song ("Msyterious Ways"???) I think it would be perfect. In other words, there is no need for U2 to ever repeat any song at this point. If they like "Vertigo" at the end, play it then - but don't play it twice!

So as much as the second performance rocked, I have to say that I was disappointed hearing it again. It's just a waste. It's a great song and I doubt I'll get tired of it, but I'd rather hear something else from their vast catalog or a new HTDAAB song, not the same single twice.

Axver said:

Spot on, Ax! :yes:

I'm sure the MSG shows were awesome.....but surely they could have thrown in Discotheque again.......what about The Fly??? are'nt they gonna play it anymore.
Apart from Fast Cars there was no funky stuff....U2 are the most diverse band ever......at MSG were they trying to disprove that????

Instead of Vertigo for the second time, why don't they close every show with IWF or Out of Control?

They would make the crowd go insane before leaving the stage for the night. And their great rockers. OOC on 10/11 was amazing.

forget the surprises, it's kind of hard to believe that NYD wasn't even played once in 5 nights.

Last edited:
Axver said:

Oh brother. All that proves is that some people will like it and some people won't. Because one section in Madison Square Garden, who from the sounds his review didn't enjoy various parts of the show proves nothing other than everyone will feel differently about Vertigo x2 plus many other parts of the show.

(And one other thing I'm not sure it is possible to observe
every person in your section in MSG, I know I would have had a hell of a time trying to do that on the 7th or 8th)

Note: This is not at all critizing Jofo at all for not enjoying the show as much as he would have liked. It is to emphasize once more that there will never be any right or wrong answer when it comes to this subjective issue.

>Same setlist, night after night = theatre. I'm going to a rock show, not theatre.<

I don't agree. Some of the best live rock groups ever played very static setlists, and there are plenty of godawful jam bands (or wedding bands!) that play completely different sets every night. Sure, different songs would be nice, but it's much more about the performance.

As someone else mentioned, ZooTV is arguably the greatest rock tour of all time, and it had very limited set changes. On top of this, U2 actually *did* change the setlist nightly in NY this week - it was unrealistic of people to think they'd play 8-9 different songs every night or whatever. I'm not sure how die-hard fans can come up with these kind of expectations, knowing how little they've changed the set in the past.

Other things:

-I hate to say it, but it looks like "Discotheque" is a goner, just like a complete "In a Little While."

-"Until the End of the World" is a great live song but it's been played at EVERY SINGLE GIG since 1992. I'm glad they're giving it a rest.

-The main set doesn't change because they finally have it where they want it. It flows much better than it did at the early U.S. shows - much tighter, more dramatic. Why mess with it to please the small amount of die-hards in the audience when it would hurt the show's impact for everyone else?

You know people say a reason for the static setlists is so they can have perfect performances of the songs. Well, on this tour especially, they still have a lot of fuck ups. If they are going to fuck some things up with a static setlist, they might as well fuck some things up with more varied setlists.

Axver said:

Exactly. His section - and his opinion. One section of the thousands of people in the audience that night.

For every thread that complained U2 has played Vertigo twice I have seen posts from people who do like it and had a great time at the show.
I guess they are "pleased quickly", and their opinion is less valid because they don't choose to obsess over setlists.

Last edited:
Bono tonight At Philly 1:

"-Tonight, to all our great fans on Interference.com who are saying that the Vertigo show sucks and so is the setlist,we want to dedicate this show to all of them.Here's a nice treat for all of you infront of your computer screen..hope this show makes you jump and scream out loud during your setlist party".

-Stateless
-Bass trap
-Endless deep
-Walk to the water
-Your blue room
-Spanish eyes
-Wire
-Scarlet
-Promenade
-The playboy Mansion
-Babyface
-Red light
-Grace
-With a shout
-Twilight
-into the heart

(encore 1)

-4th of july
-Tomorrow
-The hands that built america

(encore 2)

-Love comes tumbling
-Sweetest thing
-October

(encore 3)

-My heart will go on...*with special guest Celine Dion
-The wanderer
-Bass trap 2
...*Makes you want the bootleg of that show doesn't?What more can you ask?,no Pride,no Streets,no One,No With or without you,no Bullet,no Sunday bloody Sunday...and no Vertigo 2*

Last edited:
MSG deserved one Vertigo x2 closer. Period.

And 7 of 14 different encore songs in ONE encore, Axver?

Isn't that the variation you've been looking for? And you're STILL not happy!?

You run a U2 setlist site... you should know their formula by now and I think this is probably the most varied they've ever been.

Just enjoy it instead of dissecting every setlist. You'll have a better time, trust me.

As the saying goes.... one who spends too much time looking at the leaves risks missing the beauty of the tree.

Last edited:
Why have they given New Years Day a rest on this leg after playing it at almost every prior show???

ramblin rose said:

Oh brother. All that proves is that some people will like it and some people won't. Because one section in Madison Square Garden, who from the sounds his review didn't enjoy various parts of the show proves nothing other than everyone will feel differently about Vertigo x2 plus many other parts of the show.

It wasn't just one section, I can tell you that right now.

I love the song. I can't get enough of it. But coming out of MSG and going down escalators and staircases and crowd masses with people, you hear people discuss the show. I would say 70% of the people I heard talking did not get Vertigo 2x and also didn't feel the show totally rocked. Although, they were quick to say how U2 is the best touring band in the world, hands down. I don't think most people who go to the show realize the background of why Vertigo 2x happens or why it's esoteric.

Oh well. :shrug: I think some of the conservatism I've seen around these parts dealing with the aftermath of this particular show have turned me off intensive set list discussion. It's just not worth it to me to have my fandom called into question or any other manner of things to where I feel like I don't have a right to express my opinion openly, or that I'm an asshole for having an opinion at all.

U2girl said:

Exactly. His section - and his opinion. One section of the thousands of people in the audience that night.

For every thread that complained U2 has played Vertigo twice I have seen posts from people who do like it and had a great time at the show.
I guess they are "pleased quickly", and their opinion is less valid because they don't choose to obsess over setlists.

From your comments its seems that anyone who doesn't like Vertigox2 opinions are "less valid" b/c they are not speaking for the entire areana. Get over it, some people don't like it and their opinions matter, even if not to you.

HelloAngel said:
Oh well. :shrug: I think some of the conservatism I've seen around these parts dealing with the aftermath of this particular show have turned me off intensive set list discussion. It's just not worth it to me to have my fandom called into question or any other manner of things to where I feel like I don't have a right to express my opinion openly, or that I'm an asshole for having an opinion at all.

I really hope I didn't make you feel like what you're saying here, because that wasn't my intention. As I stated in my complete post, my statement wasn't meant to be a criticism of Jofo's review just making it clear that everyone felt differently about Vertigox2 and the show in general.

Most reviews on u2tour.com for this show are very positive. In fact a few even comment on Vertigo x2. For example:

The final encore of "Vertigo" was truly amazing to be exact what fucken blew me out of my seat is what Bono launched into when they were rocking out the final Chorus - he went into the lyrics of an old Patti Smith song and with the Edge's guitar growling and all that energy the combination was atomic:
"Baby was a black sheep. Baby was a whore.

You know she got big. Well, she's gonna get bigger. Baby got a hand; got a finger on the trigger. Baby, baby, baby is a rock-and-roll ******! Outside of society, that's where I want to be. Outside of society, they're waitin' for me!"

My theory about them playing "vertigo" more than once at many concerts is this: The song has an energy to it that is unmatched by a lot of other songs. Ok we all think its been overplayed because of the ipod ads and the corporate structure of radio etc. However, seeing Vertigo performed live is extremely different not to mention gratifying....it felt like a second round of sex - like they really banged it home, no pun intended. A friend walking out of the concert with actually said "they really banged it out at the end" Thats what it felt like, after two and half hours of concert we were expecting and lullaby of "40" and we got BANG VERTIGO! I think U2 understands that "vertigo" is an experience and is both the sonic and emotional message of where they are as a band currently. Thanks U2! For punching it home!

The encore of Vertigo was better than the 1st – CRAZY.

the 2nd version of 'vertigo' was amazing! i know people like to bitch about it... but last night it just ROCKED. bono was clearly in another place, and edge was jumping around the stage like mad! at the end of that song, edge was so pumped up that he just threw his guitar off, and let the feedback ring throughout MSG... it was a very 'punk rock' moment.

Them playing Vertigo 2x should have annoyed me, considering every other song they could have played, but Bono had so much passion going during the final version of Vertigo that I swear he was summoning the 20-year old Bonovox. He was about to jump out of his skin. Just crazy. They left the stage with Edge dropping his guitar and crackling feedback searing the Garden for a few full minutes. Bono jumped up and threw his arms around Edge as they walked off.

They also played the encore Vertigo tonight, and the second "take" rocked out far more than the earlier version in it's usual slot. Saw three shows this week, and this one was easily the best of the group. Only hope now is that November will bring even more surprises...

I'm not sure why you feel that people saying they enjoyed the show and vertigo x2 is an assault on you. It's okay to think the show could have been better. It's just as okay for people to have enjoyed it tremendously.

ramblin rose said:
I'm not sure why you feel that people saying they enjoyed the show and vertigo x2 is an assault on you. It's okay to think the show could have been better. It's just as okay for people to have enjoyed it tremendously.

That's not what I think and that's not what I had said.

It's absolutely fine with me that people liked the show. I'm glad for them. I don't waste my time taking stuff like that personally. And I wasn't even really addressing you with my post. I was more addressing those who are more conservative about people having dissenting opinions.

HelloAngel said:

That's not what I think and that's not what I had said.

It's absolutely fine with me that people liked the show. I'm glad for them. I don't waste my time taking stuff like that personally. And I wasn't even really addressing you with my post. I was more addressing those who are more conservative about people having dissenting opinions.

Thank you. I guess I just misintepreted you because of the quote. Sorry about that. :)

I went to the last two MSG shows - my first shows since Denver in April. I was quite surprised at the lack of change between the two shows. Still, I was very happy with the setlist overall. I was happy to hear "Still Haven't Found" and WOWY and Stuck in a Moment. Also VertigoX2 Friday night was a huge thrill for me because it was the first time I had gone to a show with that closing. But I could do without Fast Cars every night of the show.

matt_tx00 said:
I went to the last two MSG shows - my first shows since Denver in April. I was quite surprised at the lack of change between the two shows. Still, I was very happy with the setlist overall. I was happy to hear "Still Haven't Found" and WOWY and Stuck in a Moment. Also VertigoX2 Friday night was a huge thrill for me because it was the first time I had gone to a show with that closing. But I could do without Fast Cars every night of the show.

I would give up every song you were thrilled with if I could guarantee myself Fast Cars every single show I'm going to.:drool:

WildHoneyAlways said:

From your comments its seems that anyone who doesn't like Vertigox2 opinions are "less valid" b/c they are not speaking for the entire areana. Get over it, some people don't like it and their opinions matter, even if not to you.

I thought people who don't like Vertigo 2x don't speak for the arena, yes. Or did I miss something?
(see the U2tours.com reviews of that night)

On the other hand, I don't think any of the people who don't mind/like it said they speak for everyone. Unlike matter-of-factly posts from the other side.

Back
Top Bottom