Mexico, Hungary next year????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
Hey does anyone know if these rumors are true? That would mean U2 will have a 4th leg in south America and another European leg in summer?? Would be amazing!

beli said:
Fuck (Western) Europe.

No offense but U2 really should do the Southern Hemisphere before its does any more laps of Western Europe/North America.

:up:
We've already got our gigs this summer. That's enough for me, until the new Wembley opens - I know who I want to be the first band to play there!!!:drool:

oops. sorry!!! :)....

seems this possible?

leg 1 North America mar-may 2005
leg 2 Europe jun-aug 2005
leg 3 North America sep-dec 2005
leg 4 South America early 2006
leg 5 Asia early 2006
leg 6 Australia / New Zeeland spring 2006
leg 7 Europe summer 2006

would be their biggest tour i guess

Last edited:
Bono said they'd come to Mexico next year in San Diego, he said they'd come to Brazil if they felt strong at the end of 2005 (so that may mean other S. American countries too) on the dress rehearsal and McGuiness said 15 Japan/Australia/N. Zealand shows after third leg ends.

So I'd expect those places rather than Europe again (unless, like Rattle and Hum and Zooropa, they make a new album REAL fast).

That said, I'd like to see them cover other parts of Europe for a change, past Germany and Austria.
:|
We got 1 show during Zoo TV and 5 shows during Popmart.

Last edited:
If they do Europe next year again I hope that they will play more Central/ Eastern/South-eastern Europe gigs and maybe a few Western Europe (NETHERLANDS) ones.
I just hope they play locations like Hungary, Ukraine, Balkans, Greece, Turkey and Rotterdam ;)

phommel said:
oops. sorry!!! :)....

seems this possible?

leg 1 North America mar-may 2005
leg 2 Europe jun-aug 2005
leg 3 North America sep-dec 2005
leg 4 South America early 2006
leg 5 Asia early 2006
leg 6 Australia / New Zeeland spring 2006
leg 7 Europe summer 2006

would be their biggest tour i guess

That's totally impossible. Spring in Australia/NZ comes AFTER the European summer! Remember, different seasons down here.

Yes, I know what you meant. I just couldn't help myself. :wink:

However, I do think they would go South America --> Australia (NO NZ) --> Asia instead, as it makes more logicistical sense. That's a direct line, whereas they would have to pass Australia to get to Asia, and then backtrack. I don't believe they will play New Zealand at all, though I hope they do. One show in Wellington would be enough.

South Africa also deserves some shows.

We should be seeing the band go further out this time.......it won't cost nearly as much to deliver the stage and light beads around the world as it did to send all of that Popmart and Zoo TV stuff about. So they should be able to make a decent profit in South America, South Africa, Australia, etc.....without having to charge too much.

BigMacPhisto said:
We should be seeing the band go further out this time.......it won't cost nearly as much to deliver the stage and light beads around the world as it did to send all of that Popmart and Zoo TV stuff about. So they should be able to make a decent profit in South America, South Africa, Australia, etc.....without having to charge too much.

Though the stage for Elevation wasn't elaborate at all and yet cost was the reason given for the lack of an Australian leg ...

I think they didn't do an Australian leg because they were tired.......a LOT of North American shows, etc......they skipped out on everywhere else though (South America, etc....) because they probably were worried about making a profit.

BigMacPhisto said:
I think they didn't do an Australian leg because they were tired.......a LOT of North American shows, etc......they skipped out on everywhere else though (South America, etc....) because they probably were worried about making a profit.

I believe the specific reason they cited for no Australian leg was the state of the Australian dollar at the time.

I think someone like beli would know this better, though. I wasn't a fanatic until 2002, and I wasn't exactly watching economics closely in 2001.

Axver said:

I believe the specific reason they cited for no Australian leg was the state of the Australian dollar at the time.

I think someone like beli would know this better, though. I wasn't a fanatic until 2002, and I wasn't exactly watching economics closely in 2001.

You beat me to it. The exchange rate was the reason given by U2. If I recall correctly it was The Edge who said it.

We just have to hope that our economy crashes this year. :mad:

Being economically clueless, why would a crash be ideal? I thought we'd want it to be pretty level to the US dollar ...

Seriously, my brain is not wired for economics.

Depends if they want to minimise a loss or break even. I dont think U2 ever really make a profit hauling their gear down here.

If they are wanting to minimise a loss then if the Australian economy is bad the cost of fuel, local staff, hotel rooms, etc is cheaper.

If they want to increase revenue from sale of tickets and tshirts tis better for the Australian economy to be booming.

I can not recall which way it was last time. Come to think of it maybe the economy was too low last time. Let me wake up, put the baby down, and come back.

I imagine U2 did pretty well on the Lovetown Tour.

I don't know if this is indicative of the economy, but I do remember from around 2000-2001 that the exchange rate was only $0.50 with the US. I used to watch the Aussie to Kiwi exchange rate for my mother as we still had money in NZ at the time, and in doing so, I'd see the rate with the US too.

Last edited:
I'd love for them to do South America! The shows wouldn't make them much money though, or be at a loss. When they went there for Popmart, the Argentine currency was 1 to 1 with the dollar for example, now it's nearly 3 to 1.

I don't want them to lose money, but surely they could tour some more countries and take the risk of making less money? With Zoo TV, I read the T-shirts and merchandise saved them from losing money and with Popmart their promotor guaranteed them profit, from his own pocket.

It surprises me they travelled so much with Zoo TV and Popmart and not with Elevation - I don't think the lights, the heart and a much smaller screen cost more to drive around than all the stuff they had before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom