Undroppable songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RA-D

War Child
Which songs would you say were undroppable from the set-list? I don't mean any new songs, I mean which 'classics' do you believe will be played in (pretty much) every show on the tour? (Not which do you want, which do you think)

I'd say:

Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or Without You
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday

any others? One perhaps?

Where The Streets Have No Name. That's it. Probably One too, but it's not yet quite on the level of Streets.

Bad - cut for most of Popmart
With Or Without You - cut for the third leg of Elevation
I Will Follow - cut for most of ZooTV
Sunday Bloody Sunday - cut for Lovetown and half of Popmart

Axver, if you think One isn't on the level of Streets as far as the band is concerned, you're sorely mistaken. Streets is older and they love playing it, but One is their signature song. Personal taste isn't going to change that. It's the song they will be remembered by.

The song will NEVER be retired from their live repertoire, which might not be that daring of a claim because they will probably tour only once more.

Another song that isn't going to leave anytime soon is Beautiful Day, which I don't think is anywhere near the other two (at least live), but it's become the symbol of their resurgence.

Aside from those 3, I would probably add Pride to that list. When was the last time it wasn't played?
Bullet the Blue Sky seems to be a staple but you never know. It always seems to be a setpiece and perhaps they would be better served by having some other song get the big fireworks treatment. An extended LPOE, perhaps?

laz

Mysterious Ways - dropped on the Elevation Tour 3rd leg(appeared on some concerts, but not regularly).
And I highly doubt Beautiful Day will be undroppable.

lazarus said:
Axver, if you think One isn't on the level of Streets as far as the band is concerned, you're sorely mistaken. Streets is older and they love playing it, but One is their signature song. Personal taste isn't going to change that. It's the song they will be remembered by.

What I meant is that Streets is the song that has the greatest impact on the crowd, and the band have conclusively stated it is the ultimate concert experience and turns around even the worst gigs. They haven't yet placed One on that level. I'd agree that it's likely there and not going to be cut, but Streets is the only 100% guaranteed undroppable song. I would not object to One being placed on the same level as Streets, but I don't know of any band statements relating to the matter.

On the topic of the droppability of Pride/Mysterious Ways, they both failed to feature at some Elevation concerts. Mysterious Ways missed the whole third leg, while Pride skipped earlier concerts.

Beautiful Day is undroppable for the coming tour, and I suspect any following tours. That's not fully clear, and if they're wise enough to employ more regular setlist rotation, I could see it being omitted some nights if they play a number of more tours.

lazarus said:

The song will NEVER be retired from their live repertoire, which might not be that daring of a claim because they will probably tour only once more.

Another song that isn't going to leave anytime soon is Beautiful Day, which I don't think is anywhere near the other two (at least live), but it's become the symbol of their resurgence.

Aside from those 3, I would probably add Pride to that list. When was the last time it wasn't played?
Bullet the Blue Sky seems to be a staple but you never know. It always seems to be a setpiece and perhaps they would be better served by having some other song get the big fireworks treatment. An extended LPOE, perhaps?

laz

Funny. One doesn't do too much for me. If it's U2's signature song, I must not be much of a fan.

the tourist said:

Funny. One doesn't do too much for me. If it's U2's signature song, I must not be much of a fan.

That's why I said personal taste has nothing to do with it. You might love John Lennon but not be a fan of Imagine--that doesn't change the fact that it's his signature song.

And anyway, it sure as hell ain't With or Without You anymore.

laz

RA-D said:
Which songs would you say were undroppable from the set-list? I don't mean any new songs, I mean which 'classics' do you believe will be played in (pretty much) every show on the tour? (Not which do you want, which do you think)

Pride!!! :hyper:

The really undroppable songs for me are Streets and One. Streets is known as the best live song, it's highlights of every show and One is the most known U2 classic which everybody adore. All other songs are not sure...

Vertigo is 200% sure, so it doesn't even need to be mentioned :p About half of HTDAAB is certain already now: SYCMIOYO, ABOY (2nd singles), MD, COBL and OOTS- they all were played on promo gigs.

lazarus said:

laz

Streets is by far more of a signature song than One IMO.

They can drop One (as they did from the Elevation DVD) without too much of an impact on the overall show, but they can never drop Streets.

I love not knowing the setlist and going to the opening night show, one of the mysteries will be "at what point in the set will they do Streets".

I don't see One as undroppable.

For this tour, only two seem 100% guaranteed to make every set list IMO.

Streets - all the reasons mentioned.

Beautiful Day - beyond hardcore fans, BD is the most well known song from ATYCLB which arguably rejuvenated their career, again. Too many 'newer fans' would be sorely disappointed if BD were left out.

BD could be a regular encore on this tour.

Beyond this tour, if there is one, all bets are off.

They might cut Sunday Bloody Sunday........

It was played just a few times in the US during ZOO TV, dropped during LoveTown and most of POP Mart..... I can see it cut for this tour.....or played a few times only.

Pride was not played early on the Elevation tour. Sunday was not played between 1987 and mid-1992, then only skeletally on Popmart. With or Without You was absent on Elevation leg 3.

New Years Day was absent for the first two legs of Zoo TV; Bad was sporadically gone on Lovetown, and was not featured on Popmart.

Let's be honest here: if U2 wanted to, they could drop anything or play anything. No song is utterly sacrosanct.

U2, and their fans, disrespect the depth and breadth of their canon when they hold an attitude of "oh, you HAVE to play "x," "y" and "z."

TheRat said:
vertigo and bullet the blue sky in addition to those two.

Am I the only one who really doesn't care for Bullet the Blue Sky? I would really like it if U2 dropped Bullet the Blue Sky and replaced it with Gloria, Unforgettable Fire, Running to Stand Still, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, or pretty much anything else.

At any rate, I'll pretty much be satisfied with anything U2 chooses to play. I don't really have a favorite U2 song (I love them all) so there's nothing that I absolutely HAVE to hear. That being said I would be happy to hear I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

broken toy said:
Pride was not played early on the Elevation tour. Sunday was not played between 1987 and mid-1992, then only skeletally on Popmart. With or Without You was absent on Elevation leg 3.

New Years Day was absent for the first two legs of Zoo TV; Bad was sporadically gone on Lovetown, and was not featured on Popmart.

Let's be honest here: if U2 wanted to, they could drop anything or play anything. No song is utterly sacrosanct.

U2, and their fans, disrespect the depth and breadth of their canon when they hold an attitude of "oh, you HAVE to play "x," "y" and "z."

You're right, many big hits have been dropped in the past and will be on this tour. Except there IS one sacrosanct live song, that CANNOT be taken out of the set-list, and it's called Where the Streets Have No Name. Of course U2 cannot be reduced to only one song, but the U2 live experience, if it would have to be, could be brought down to that song by itself.

One is also very, very close to that status. Those two are the only ones really that I don't think they could get away with not playing.

Vertigo, Sometimes, COBL, ABOY, Yahweh, Beautiful Day, WTSHNN, I Will Follow, One, Pride.

Those are 1000% percent sure.

Not Pride.... sorry. it was not played for most of the 1st and 2nd leg of Elevation.......and I really hope it won't be played, or just occasionally. It's no more a powerful live song...... like WOWY it's lost its soul and power....

Back
Top Bottom